Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
HD DVD Players > Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD - First End User Reports!
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:19 AM 04-15-2006
Any other Pics you guys want a close up of or anything?

http://members.cox.net/znasouri/hddvd/100_2133.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

madshi's Avatar madshi 01:20 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post

how can I tell, I am very uneducated when it comes to all this, sorry there is'nt any one else w/ one in front of them who could go more in depth with it but I'll try to answer what I can

Well, in the menus where you can switch between 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Are there more settings than just the resolution? Is there something named "colorspace"? Or do you see something like "RGB", "YCbCr" or "YPbPr" there?

Thanks!
madshi's Avatar madshi 01:21 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:

Any other Pics you guys want a close up of or anything?

http://members.cox.net/znasouri/hddvd/100_2133.jpg

I'd love to have a shot of the setup screen where you can set the HDMI video output formats. Thanks a bunch!
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:21 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Well, in the menus where you can switch between 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Are there more settings than just the resolution? Is there something named "colorspace"? Or do you see something like "RGB", "YCbCr" or "YPbPr" there?

Thanks!

No sir, I remember in my Sony there was an option to switch from RGB to YCbCR but in this there is not, sorry if that is bad news...
SurfingMatt27's Avatar SurfingMatt27 01:25 AM 04-15-2006
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:27 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

I'd love to have a shot of the setup screen where you can set the HDMI video output formats. Thanks a bunch!

It only gives you TV Shape through any output. You change rez through remote only.
mcs921's Avatar mcs921 01:28 AM 04-15-2006
Oh my garsh!!!!!!! I want one so bad now.
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:29 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Just curious, i noticed in the second picture you have there that there is a picture mode with choices of either FILM,VIDEO,AUTO i suspect this is for regular DVD's correct?

From the manual it says

"There are two types of source content in pictures recorded in DVD video discs: film content (pictures recorded from films at 24 frames per second) and video content (video signals recorded at 30 frames per second). Make this selection according to the type of content being viewed.
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:33 AM 04-15-2006
And just to give you guys a heads up, the logitech remote's page has the player on its website but none of the buttons work right atm. This is using the 880.
Rockokma's Avatar Rockokma 01:40 AM 04-15-2006
It could output 480i/480p through component if the DVD does not prohibit the output of the resolution, that's what it says in the manual.
lymzy's Avatar lymzy 02:08 AM 04-15-2006
What does that "NTP server" in the ethernet menu mean?
loggiestar's Avatar loggiestar 02:38 AM 04-15-2006
It's Network Timing Protocol, a protocol to sync the clock over the 'Net.

Apparently this player can sync up its ticking with some external sources. Dunno for what? Maybe for future pay-by-minute content vendoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

What does that "NTP server" in the ethernet menu mean?

s.morris's Avatar s.morris 02:45 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Well damn... Ron is first. But without the movies

You are wicked

Steve
Sirluckyj's Avatar Sirluckyj 03:13 AM 04-15-2006
I have two questions:

1. How is the PQ on regular DVD's compare with your old player?

2. What is the difference between the HDA1 and HDXA1? Is the $300 extra just for the motorized door?

Jim
Likvid's Avatar Likvid 03:23 AM 04-15-2006
Oh my god, look at the details of the chassi, it's like old school quality, great!
LordofDoubleD's Avatar LordofDoubleD 03:54 AM 04-15-2006
Hey Everybody!!! My wife and I just finished watching The Last Samurai and let my tell you it looked so good. I was watching it on a 46" Samsung DLP which has 720p native resolution. I did my calibration of the display using the THX optimizer on the SD DVD - SW EPIII. It was connected to the TV via HDMI and I sent the audio to my receiver using the Toslink out to the receiver. Tomorrow I'm going to unhook my DVD-A player and hook up the analog outs so I can experience DD+.

PQ
I have to say that this is the best HD footage I have ever watched. Both my wife and I commented over and over again about how there was no visible pixelation (macro blocking?). When I watch shows like LOST it looks great but there is always some level of blocking during the night and/or dark shots. I saw none of that on this DVD. Also there were no jagged edges - It simply looked superb. We kept saying how clean and finely detailed everything looked. The picture was just stunning. Ultimately I felt like this is what I had been looking for - namely HD without all of the artifacts and problems that I constantly see when watching HD over cable. Unfortunately I don't have D-theater or OTA HD-DVD but it looks a lot better than the HD that I get from Time Warner.

Upconverting
I watched just a little of SW EPIII and I feel like it does a good job of upconverting but after watching an actual HD-DVD it's going to be hard to go back SD DVD's.
I'll need to watch a whole movie upconverted before I can make a lot of detailed observations.

Audio
I used the toslink out to my Kenwood reciever. This is a very consumer level receiver but I play music for a living and I feel like I've spent a lot of time making my system sound as good as it possibly can. I thought the audio sounded great (Dolby DD) but I'm looking forward to hearing DD+ through the 5.1 analog outs.

The Player
It's big Seems very solidly built. Remote is nice. Took me a while to get the hang of the remote. It seems silly but it only needs a gentle touch. Once I figured that out and turned on the sound for the remote (soft beep) it was working pretty well for me. The setup menu is simple and easy to navigate. I did notice a some fan noise while I was going through the setup menu (silent room - no audio through the system). Once I closed the glass door on the entertainment center and started the movie I could not hear any fan noise. This is not the fatest player I've dealt with - everything kind of takes a second to get going: reading the disc, starting to play etc., it's not a big deal at all but you definitely get the feeling that this is a 1st gen player and as time goes on all of these little details will be totally smoothed out.

Misc.
There is an "HD-DVD Introduction" commercial from WB at the beginning of TLS about HD-DVD: it's features, benefits, upcoming titles, etc. and honestly it was really cool. My wife is interested in this stuff but she is more of an average consumer when it comes to home theater. It made her go "now I get why you're into this". It really gives the average person on the street a great demo of why HD-DVD is so much better than SD DVD. I thought it was awesome. Also, in this commericial, there are clips of HP, Matrix, Batman Begins and ,oh my goodness, I can not wait to watch these movies on HD-DVD. They look so amazing.

Final Thoughts
I can not wait for all of you to get your players/movies. I have learned so much about home theater by being a member of AVS forum and I can't wait until we can all geek out together about our HD-DVD players!!!

p.s.
Someone asked how I got the movies today. Honestly I was all ready to pay - I was not going to even ask about the movies because I know they are not supposed to release them before the street date - and the guy helping me asked If I wanted some movies to go with my player. Obviously I said of course - if they have them - (I was assuming they would be SD DVD's) and he pulls out TLS and Phantom in HD-DVD. At that point I said sure and paid for them and got out of there before someone told this guy that they weren't allowed to do that. I know that I completely lucked out. It was pretty exiciting.

More info to come,
DD
darinp2's Avatar darinp2 04:53 AM 04-15-2006
I haven't opened mine yet, but did get a look at a friends. I was happy to see that with a disk he mastered the fast forward control worked very well. I think it was going at 10x on one setting and had a speed even higher than that. Limited fast forwarding is one reason I dislike using an HTPC in general. Also, the pause just put a little symbol in the upper left corner that disappeared quickly. This will be great for doing calibrations where having extra things on the screen can throw things off or just for looking at certain images and not wanting extra things on the screen at the time.

I'm hoping I can get some movies tomorrow, but for now I want to figure out how to master some of my own disks. And then there are the family obligations for Easter weekend.

Also, sorry if this has been posted as I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but the player comes with a month of free Netflix (even for existing customers) and there is a flyer about firmware upgrades. We can either hook into the internet or send in a card and when there is a firmware disk update available they will send it to the address on there.

--Darin
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 05:42 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:

One sec...

480p

When I try to change the resolution any higher on DVD it says High resolution output is Prohibited with this contet.

PLEASE tell us you haven't turned something on in menu to allow FULL HD resolution thru Component.......You did say that you have a NON HDTV correct?I'm starting to get worried
rlhjr34's Avatar rlhjr34 06:10 AM 04-15-2006
I noticed on the audio a setup screen shots settings for a 5.1 system. Is there an option on the menu to setup a 7.1 system?
rlhjr34's Avatar rlhjr34 06:11 AM 04-15-2006
I guess that setup for 5.1 is for the 5.1 analog outs on the back?
Y2JDMBFAN's Avatar Y2JDMBFAN 06:25 AM 04-15-2006
Can someone with the actual HD-DVD movies try and output 1080i over component? I know he said you couldn't do it with a regular DVD, but possibly you can with the HD-DVD?
Tom Bley's Avatar Tom Bley 06:34 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

PLEASE tell us you haven't turned something on in menu to allow FULL HD resolution thru Component.......You did say that you have a NON HDTV correct?I'm starting to get worried

So Warner is already using ITC on there titles....Idiots!! Can any of you with the Warner movies hook up via component and see if it is HD or not...please?
darinp2's Avatar darinp2 06:34 AM 04-15-2006
So far I've only been able to get 480p, 720p, and 1080i over HDMI. I'm not sure if there is something else I'm supposed to be doing to get 480i.

--Darin
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 06:43 AM 04-15-2006
Darin....do you have a HD disk?If so will you or someone try to see if it will pass full resolution over component?If it doesn't then we all have been LIED to!
darinp2's Avatar darinp2 06:47 AM 04-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Darin....do you have a HD disk?If so will you or someone try to see if it will pass full resolution over component?If it doesn't then we all have been LIED to!

I don't have any official ones (just HD stuff a friend mastered on HD).

But please settle down. Rockokma clearly said 480p with DVD, so you seem to be jumping to a conclusion that is incorrect based on the information he provided. A limit of 480p for DVDs wouldn't tell you anything about ICT or not with HD material. There are different rules for DVDs than HD DVDs.

--Darin
Don H's Avatar Don H 06:51 AM 04-15-2006
Reading reviews on new equipment makes AVSFORUM worth its weight in gold.

I'll wait for my Pioneer BD.
darinp2's Avatar darinp2 06:54 AM 04-15-2006
As far as DVD playback, I didn't compare to my Momitsu V880 directly and it is early in the morning with my eyes being a little tired, but I was pretty impressed with the images I got from "The Two Towers" DVD out of the HD-A1 at 1080i over HDMI into the Sony Ruby. My guess is that it will turn out to be a pretty good upscaling player. Really should compare it to my Panasonic 77S, but I'm not sure when I'll get time for that.

A couple of other things. One hopefully doesn't relate to others. The down button my remote seems to work about 2% of the time. So far I've been able to use up and the side to side spots to get where I wanted to go.

The other one I don't consider a huge deal, but it would be nice if it wasn't there. Looks like the HDMI output doesn't pass blacker-than-black (things below video 16 look like they get set to 16), but does pass whiter-than-reference-white (so things above video 235 still come through). The white one is the one I care about more as I set video 16 to the minimum my digital projectors can do, but the player really should pass blacker-than-black correctly. Looks like it does over component.

--Darin
benthx's Avatar benthx 07:00 AM 04-15-2006
Well talk about the great Easter Egg hunt! Looking for hidden Easter Eggs...... Oh I mean HD DVDs

Hey Spizz isnt it past your bed time over east

Ben
jedilips's Avatar jedilips 07:01 AM 04-15-2006
anyone have non-region 1 dvds to confirm region coding?
private Angus's Avatar private Angus 07:10 AM 04-15-2006
hi...i'm from europe and i can only agree, please can anyone try a rc2 disc if it works
...thanks...
if doesn't work for now, there probably will be a cheat soon, hopefully
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop