Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD FAQ: Link and Discussion thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Refurbished HDA1 off of Ebay for $289 or wait for new HDA2 at full price???? thanks."
============
"At that price, why are you even asking? "
============

I believe what he is asking is should he take a chance on a relatively new unit that is already available "refurbished"?

That fact doesn't speak highly of either the quality control of the unit or the disasterous results too many have had after "upgrading" firmware.

I would suggest that the warranty should dictate the answer. You may in fact have a problem with the unit you buy.

And secondly, I would suggest that if you DO buy the unit avoid the suggestions of those who wholeheartedly recommend the firmware update without at least a caveat. The mentality that dictates........."I didn't have a problem with the firmware update so you won't either" is mind boggling.

My personal recommendation is to leave it alone if it works well or buy a new one if you want to "mess" with it.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

I believe what he is asking is should he take a chance on a relatively new unit that is already available "refurbished"?

That fact doesn't speak highly of either the quality control of the unit or the disasterous results too many have had after "upgrading" firmware.

Id like to know how many people had problems with their unit before their firmware upgrade as opposed to problems after they upgraded the firmware? And, of those people who had the problems after the firmware upgrade, how many used an upgrade that was obtained second hand.

I personally cant find fault with the "QC" of the unit. As many of these units that have been sold, most complaints i seem to catch result after the firmware upgrade from disc.
post #453 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Id like to know how many people had problems with their unit before their firmware upgrade as opposed to problems after they upgraded the firmware? And, of those people who had the problems after the firmware upgrade, how many used an upgrade that was obtained second hand.

I personally cant find fault with the "QC" of the unit. As many of these units that have been sold, most complaints i seem to catch result after the firmware upgrade from disc.

Do a search. You will find other posters who are saying that people have problems if they did NOT update from a disc or that only those using DVI are having problems or that only those who used the beta firmware are having problems or that only those who left a disc in the machine are having problems. It's insane. How can people wholeheartedly recommend this firmware update to people without a caveat? It's irresponsible.

John
post #454 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do a search. You will find other posters who are saying that people have problems if they did NOT update from a disc or that only those using DVI are having problems or that only those who used the beta firmware are having problems or that only those who left a disc in the machine are having problems. It's insane. How can people wholeheartedly recommend this firmware update to people without a caveat? It's irresponsible.

John

Hmm...well maybe Im a lucky one. I have an A1 and so do 2 other family members. With these three units we experienced no problems before or after the firmware update. This is not to discount other peoples problems however. I guess the main thing to remember is that if you want to be first in line to have the newest gizmos and gadgets that you have to go into it at least somewhat prepared to deal with some headaches that come with "latest and greatest" stuff.
post #455 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Hmm...well maybe Im a lucky one. I have an A1 and so do 2 other family members. With these three units we experienced no problems before or after the firmware update. This is not to discount other peoples problems however. I guess the main thing to remember is that if you want to be first in line to have the newest gizmos and gadgets that you have to go into it at least somewhat prepared to deal with some headaches that come with "latest and greatest" stuff.

Fair enough .

John
post #456 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

So, craftech, If you are seriously concerned that upgrading with 2.0 has caused problems in a great number of cases, why don't you start a new thread and open with a poll such as:

1. I have had no problems since update 2.0 via Toshiba disc

2. I have had no problems since update 2.0 using a third party disc

3. I have had no problems since update 2.0 via Ethernet connection

4. I have had problems since update 2.0 via Toshiba disc

5. I have had problems since update 2.0 using a third party disc

6. I have had problems since update 2.0 via Ethernet connection

We will all find out! But I would be surprised if problems are in more than 15% of cases with most being with those who have updated via Ethernet.
post #457 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

"Refurbished HDA1 off of Ebay for $289 or wait for new HDA2 at full price???? thanks."
============
"At that price, why are you even asking? "
============

Assuming you get at least a 30 day return policy, and some additional warranty from the manufacturer, I say "yes". In my experience, refurbished BY THE MANUFACTURER typically means it has been q/a-ed and tested far more than a standard A-stock unit.
post #458 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought mine brand new and it is absolutely flawless with everything i've thrown at it so far.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #459 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post

So, craftech, If you are seriously concerned that upgrading with 2.0 has caused problems in a great number of cases, why don't you start a new thread and open with a poll such as:

1. I have had no problems since update 2.0 via Toshiba disc

2. I have had no problems since update 2.0 using a third party disc

3. I have had no problems since update 2.0 via Ethernet connection

4. I have had problems since update 2.0 via Toshiba disc

5. I have had problems since update 2.0 using a third party disc

6. I have had problems since update 2.0 via Ethernet connection

We will all find out! But I would be surprised if problems are in more than 15% of cases with most being with those who have updated via Ethernet.

If it ends up that even 15% trashed a $500 player by doing it I would still issue a caveat before I recommended it to them. That is clearly not what many of you are doing though. Many of you are recommending it wholeheartedly and all I am saying is that it isn't fair to do that to someone without at least warning them that there have been problems. IMO even 15% is too high. What motivation does Toshiba have to THOROUGHLY test the firmware before releasing it when they have die hard loyalists who will publically excuse their testing it out on customers?

John
post #460 of 753 Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

XA1 if you can find one. Then again, if refurb works for you - A1. If not, and you need 1080p the A2 would be the way to go.

redjr...

Fedex delievered my XA1 from One Call last friday. I thought about a refurb, but with a new XA1 being only $530, plus you get 3 free titles from Toshiba, a new one seemed to be the best way to go.

I've read till my head is spinning. I wish there was one simple list of the firmware upgrades and what the pluses and minuses for each are. My player came with 1.0.

I'm going to be hooking it up to the dvi input on my sony 60" GIII. I read various firmwares had (or didnt have) black crush. Right now I'm running the player thru component, till my new cable comes. I upgraded the firmware to 1.2, but I guess I'll stop there for now. The side effect of going to 1.2, (I'm running 2 channel analog out to my old dolby prologic receiver) was that the audio would all a sudden just drop in volume for a few .. then come back up (when having the menu set to 2 channel mixdown). It would do that consistantly in the same places in the soundtrack. It didnt do that with 1.0. I then figured out i just had to set the setup to 5.1 and leave everything as it was, the disk would still decode appropriately from the front and back channels and I no longer had problems with the volume going up and down in odd places (like the middle of the "hot chocolate" song in the "Polar express").

Otherwise things have been smooth sailing so far. I only have 3 titles at the moment, but I've watched 2 all the way through and haven't had any stuttering, or audio out of sync, or titles freezing up.

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
-Calvin & Hobbes-
post #461 of 753 Old 11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been searching all the A1 threads but can't find this.

How do you check to see what firmware you have?

Thanks.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #462 of 753 Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I've been searching all the A1 threads but can't find this.

How do you check to see what firmware you have?

Thanks.

Shelly

1) Power up your player
2) Wait a long time....
3) Press Setup
4) Wait a long time
5) When the screen comes up, scroll down to General and select it
6) Scroll down to Maintenance and select it
7) Scroll down to Update and select it
You'll now see your firmware version. Latest is 2.0/1.0A/2.0S
post #463 of 753 Old 11-07-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, James. Patience is one of my virtues.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #464 of 753 Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFinch View Post

Fedex delievered my XA1 from One Call last friday. I thought about a refurb, but with a new XA1 being only $530, plus you get 3 free titles from Toshiba, a new one seemed to be the best way to go.

I've read till my head is spinning. I wish there was one simple list of the firmware upgrades and what the pluses and minuses for each are. My player came with 1.0.

I'm going to be hooking it up to the dvi input on my sony 60" GIII. I read various firmwares had (or didnt have) black crush. Right now I'm running the player thru component, till my new cable comes. I upgraded the firmware to 1.2, but I guess I'll stop there for now. The side effect of going to 1.2, (I'm running 2 channel analog out to my old dolby prologic receiver) was that the audio would all a sudden just drop in volume for a few .. then come back up (when having the menu set to 2 channel mixdown). It would do that consistantly in the same places in the soundtrack. It didnt do that with 1.0. I then figured out i just had to set the setup to 5.1 and leave everything as it was, the disk would still decode appropriately from the front and back channels and I no longer had problems with the volume going up and down in odd places (like the middle of the "hot chocolate" song in the "Polar express").

Otherwise things have been smooth sailing so far. I only have 3 titles at the moment, but I've watched 2 all the way through and haven't had any stuttering, or audio out of sync, or titles freezing up.

Finch,

Good choice on the XA1. I'm sure you'll love it! It's the better machine by far. I haven't upgraded to any later firmware versions - yet. I'm still at v1.0 I believe. (Not home so can't check it.) Why mess with something that's working.

redjr...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #465 of 753 Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 AM

new A1 user here. never thought i would have to wait 4 1/2 years since i bought my plasma to get hd movies. :P

played one netflix hd dvd, picture is astonishing. had the player freeze once requiring pulling the plug and the audio got out of sync three times. attributed that to the slightly scratched disc. downloading the v2.0 firmware right now.

my question is: can i use the 5.1 audio outputs with normal amplifiers? i have a high end stereo system for the front speakers and planned to use an old stereo amp for the rear speakers. my sub is wired into my stereo and although it has line inputs its not connected that way now.

put another way: does a 5.1 amplifier process the signal in some special way, or can i just take the 6 outputs and amplify them using any amplifier or a combination of amplifiers and speakers i have lying around?

thanks so much for the info in this thread and site.

james
post #466 of 753 Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 AM

I purchased mine from amazon (Hd-A1) for 399 and love it. I was having some probs on trying to see a dramatic difference from my upconvert dvd player(panasonic DVD -S97) but also realized the movies that I did buy, Batman, Constantine, Corpse Bride, Serenity did all look great. i think I was just execting to be blown away on my sony 42we655

Well- updated to 2.0, I'm on HDMI and never had one freezing prob yet. The load time is not that bad. I just imagine it's a computer- 30 secs I would say. Guess never had the probs others were experiencing with the older firmware.

I'd say got and take the plunge with a new one- it's built ver nice. It fits nice for my tv and it's not that buig. compared to today's little dvd players it's huge but no prob. you can also see a lot of care went into the machine. It's built very sturdy...

Welcome to HD DVD!!!
post #467 of 753 Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

Finch,

Good choice on the XA1. I'm sure you'll love it! It's the better machine by far. I haven't upgraded to any later firmware versions - yet. I'm still at v1.0 I believe. (Not home so can't check it.) Why mess with something that's working.

redjr...

I've slept since then, but I think I went to 1.2 to fix the black crush. My Sony GIII is prone to that enough as it is.

Got my 3 movies from Amazon today. Robin Hood / Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Corpse Bride. I just watched lil clips of the 1st two movies, Robin Hood looked great for such an old movie. I watched The Corpse Bride all the way through. Looked great, sounded great. I havent had any skips / lockups / stuttering yet. My hdmi to dvi cable came last night, I'll be giving that a try this weekend.

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
-Calvin & Hobbes-
post #468 of 753 Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you, James. Patience is one of my virtues.

Shelly

YW.

I personnally do not have any virtues.
post #469 of 753 Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone else had trouble creating the Toshiba firmware update CD from the .iso image available for download elsewhere in this thread? I dnl'd it twice just to see if my 1st copy was bad, but the size is the same, and I get the same error in both Roxio CD Creator and Nero. Comments? What to do....

redjr...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #470 of 753 Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia View Post

new A1 user here. never thought i would have to wait 4 1/2 years since i bought my plasma to get hd movies. :P

played one netflix hd dvd, picture is astonishing. had the player freeze once requiring pulling the plug and the audio got out of sync three times. attributed that to the slightly scratched disc. downloading the v2.0 firmware right now.

my question is: can i use the 5.1 audio outputs with normal amplifiers? i have a high end stereo system for the front speakers and planned to use an old stereo amp for the rear speakers. my sub is wired into my stereo and although it has line inputs its not connected that way now.

put another way: does a 5.1 amplifier process the signal in some special way, or can i just take the 6 outputs and amplify them using any amplifier or a combination of amplifiers and speakers i have lying around?

thanks so much for the info in this thread and site.

james

Yes, you may do this. Be careful of any canned or custom soundfields you may use as this will color the speaker outputs differently. Naturally you'll have to play with the volume control of both amps to get the levels correct, but there isn't any technical reason this wouldn't work. Gota go now, I have to rush George Lucas to the trauma center.
post #471 of 753 Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Question on enhanced black level, which defaults to Off.

Any advantage to turning it to on?

Could not find reference to this in the thread.

Thanks.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #472 of 753 Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question on enhanced black level, which defaults to Off.

Any advantage to turning it to on?

Could not find reference to this in the thread.

Thanks.

Shelly

Wow, you have opened a can of worms. Here's what I understand. If any of this is wrong I apologize in advance.

This has to do with setting the IRE level. Basically that is the point where black becomes black. The default, OFF, sets the IRE at 7.5. This allows for blacker than black (BTB). Turning Enhanced Black on sets the IRE to 0. You cannot get BTB with this setting.

So what does this mean? An IRE of 7.5 is typically used in North America. An IRE of 0 is used in Japan. If you turn Enhanced On it is possible that some of your whites will be darker than usual and you may increase black crush. A lot of this has to do with how your set is calibrated. If you have had a professional calibration, go with what they recommneded. If not, leave the setting off. This will match your other inputs.
post #473 of 753 Old 11-12-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

Wow, you have opened a can of worms. Here's what I understand. If any of this is wrong I apologize in advance.

This has to do with setting the IRE level. Basically that is the point where black becomes black. The default, OFF, sets the IRE at 7.5. This allows for blacker than black (BTB). Turning Enhanced Black on sets the IRE to 0. You cannot get BTB with this setting.

So what does this mean? An IRE of 7.5 is typically used in North America. An IRE of 0 is used in Japan. If you turn Enhanced On it is possible that some of your whites will be darker than usual and you may increase black crush. A lot of this has to do with how your set is calibrated. If you have had a professional calibration, go with what they recommneded. If not, leave the setting off. This will match your other inputs.

Thanks James. I knew about the diference of 7.5 and 0 but never quite understoode
their practical application for blacker than black. Your explanation is very clear.

No can of worms opened at all.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #474 of 753 Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is it possible to transmit the sound via HDMI but the video via component? I have an HDMI capable receiver but only a component HDTV.
post #475 of 753 Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Liked: 16
Can you get just as good 1080 picture on component as an HDMI?

I just did a 'buy now' on an A1 on ebay -- refurb-- for $299..... just in case HD-DVD isnt here to stay?!

Will Tosh send me a software upgrade CD if i call them>..or should i not updat if i have no problems (i dont care about start-up speed) ?

.....oooooo.....cant wait to see how much a difference DVD watching will be on my week old 1080p LCD!!!

thanks

"I'm done with upgrading my HT system...really...simply done...really this time!!"
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.allanmichael.vpweb.com

http://www.aestheticrealism.org

post #476 of 753 Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My A1 has been buzzing through the 5.1 analog outputs.

I was sending them into a Sony analog preamp (9000ES) which has 2 5.1 analog inputs and acts as a switchbox, as well as the 5.1 audio outputs from my Oppo 970 for just cd/dvd-a/scad--no video. The Oppo is dead silent.

I switched the A1 to the DTS digital audio but the sound level was so low that I had to run my receiver at +5 (its maximum) and still not loud enough. I usually listen to all mivies at -15.

So I bypassed the Sony preamp and ran direct into my HK 645 receiver and still the loud buzz.

I tried cheater plugs and reduced the buzz a bit but not by much.

I then moved the A1 into anotheer room with a smaller system and separate ac line, and it still buzzed in there.

So I'm taking it back but not sure whether to try another one.

The other problem, which I thought was fixed but not so, is that it takes forever for the cursor to move to the right. When I enter a menu to change audio setting et al, I cannot get the cursor to move right. It takes up to 20 clicks and even then it may not move at all.

I reset the remote according to Toshiba tech (remove batteries and hold down EVERY button for 3 seconds) but no change.

So are either of these issues for anyone else? The buzzing or the remote's refusal to move to the right.

I don't have receiver's with hdmi yet so trying to work with the 5.1 analog input but aside from the buzzing, the remoteis driving me crazy. I know get a Harmony but I'd rather not for now.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #477 of 753 Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post

Is it possible to transmit the sound via HDMI but the video via component? I have an HDMI capable receiver but only a component HDTV.

You select V. Output for the HD DVD player and the output selected is the only active one.

Suggest you use the 5.1 multichannel analogs which also enables lossless sound.
post #478 of 753 Old 11-14-2006, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My A1 has been buzzing through the 5.1 analog outputs.

I was sending them into a Sony analog preamp (9000ES) which has 2 5.1 analog inputs and acts as a switchbox, as well as the 5.1 audio outputs from my Oppo 970 for just cd/dvd-a/scad--no video. The Oppo is dead silent.

I switched the A1 to the DTS digital audio but the sound level was so low that I had to run my receiver at +5 (its maximum) and still not loud enough. I usually listen to all mivies at -15.

So I bypassed the Sony preamp and ran direct into my HK 645 receiver and still the loud buzz.

I tried cheater plugs and reduced the buzz a bit but not by much.

I then moved the A1 into anotheer room with a smaller system and separate ac line, and it still buzzed in there.

So I'm taking it back but not sure whether to try another one.

The other problem, which I thought was fixed but not so, is that it takes forever for the cursor to move to the right. When I enter a menu to change audio setting et al, I cannot get the cursor to move right. It takes up to 20 clicks and even then it may not move at all.

I reset the remote according to Toshiba tech (remove batteries and hold down EVERY button for 3 seconds) but no change.

So are either of these issues for anyone else? The buzzing or the remote's refusal to move to the right.

I don't have receiver's with hdmi yet so trying to work with the 5.1 analog input but aside from the buzzing, the remoteis driving me crazy. I know get a Harmony but I'd rather not for now.

Shelly

Shelly,

In Audio, for 5.1 multichannel analogs, did you leave the level for all speakers at 0 dB or did you reduce this? In order to compensate for the -10 dB output the player has for the sub, I first tried reducing other speaker levels to -7 dB and when I increased the a/v's Master volume, i was getting the buzz. Put the levels back to 0 dB and increased the sub Gain setting by 2 o'clock and this did the trick.

As for the remote, your problem was discussed before. I'm glad to have a Harmony remote.
post #479 of 753 Old 11-14-2006, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Shelly,

In Audio, for 5.1 multichannel analogs, did you leave the level for all speakers at 0 dB or did you reduce this? In order to compensate for the -10 dB output the player has for the sub, I first tried reducing other speaker levels to -7 dB and when I increased the a/v's Master volume, i was getting the buzz. Put the levels back to 0 dB and increased the sub Gain setting by 2 o'clock and this did the trick.

As for the remote, your problem was discussed before. I'm glad to have a Harmony remote.
post #480 of 753 Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post

You select V. Output for the HD DVD player and the output selected is the only active one.

Suggest you use the 5.1 multichannel analogs which also enables lossless sound.

Well, I was thinking about getting the A2 instead of the A1. So, I'm still unclear (dense) on the answer. If I select V.Output to be the COMPONENT video out; can I make the AUDIO out from HDMI?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page