post #721 of 753 Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post

I occasionally have a lip sync issue that is fixed by pausing and 'un-pausing' the player. I wonder if this issue will go away now.

Well I can personally confirm the audio glitch and sync issues in Serenity are now gone with FW v2.1.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 753 Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Liked: 10
Q: Can I use audio over HDMI, and video over component at the same time on the HD-A1? Can it be done on one of the other Toshiba players (both for SD-DVD and HD-DVD -- I read somewhere that it might not be the same for both)?

Q: Can I use video over HDMI and still have the 5.1 channel audio outputs active?

The reason for these questions is that neither my TV, not my pre/pro has an HDMI connection yet. I can't afford to upgrade both at once. So, I need to know which I should upgrade first, and still get some advantage from HDMI.
post #723 of 753 Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

Q: Can I use audio over HDMI, and video over component at the same time on the HD-A1? Can it be done on one of the other Toshiba players (both for SD-DVD and HD-DVD -- I read somewhere that it might not be the same for both)?

I'm not sure. I haven't tried the component outputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

Q: Can I use video over HDMI and still have the 5.1 channel audio outputs active?

Yes. That's how I have mine hooked up. I can even flip between coax audio and analog audio on my receiver, should I wish to compare the two, so it seems that all audio outputs can work simultaneously.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #724 of 753 Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post

Link for the rundown on the firmware upgrade: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...vdfirmware.asp

What they say it does:
This firmware update adds support for certain anticipated network delivered content in future HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, as well as addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

I did the upgrade...took forever, even with a cable modem.

The first 50% took like 40 minutes. 50-95% took like 10 minutes and 95-100% took like 10 minutes. So much for a linear scale!

The whole time I was sweating it...thinking the power was going to go out, even though it hasn't in a long time.

Anywho...I haven't watched enough movies to say that the glitches are gone, but so far, so good!

post #725 of 753 Old 04-10-2007, 07:13 PM

I support HD-DVD, but it's sad that 'we' still don't have a true 1080P player...the high-end Gen2 Toshiba interlaces and then de-interlaces just like the Gen1 Blu-Ray players.

Not that there is/will be a huge difference, but Blu-Ray got slammed for this trick last year and now Toshiba is doing the same thing...

post #726 of 753 Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 PM

ok i downloaded 2.1 and everything was fine until today now when i turn on the hda1 i get hdmi error 1 what happened no matter what i try hard boot disconnecting the player and unplugging all of the hdmi cables nothing works oh this is so frustrating. i have the a1 hooked up to the monoprice 5*1 switcher and then out to my samsung dlp does anyone have any ideas. also i changed from optical to coax digital cables but i don't think that should matter should it?

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #727 of 753 Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney80 View Post

ok i downloaded 2.1 and everything was fine until today now when i turn on the hda1 i get hdmi error 1 what happened no matter what i try hard boot disconnecting the player and unplugging all of the hdmi cables nothing works oh this is so frustrating. i have the a1 hooked up to the monoprice 5*1 switcher and then out to my samsung dlp does anyone have any ideas. also i changed from optical to coax digital cables but i don't think that should matter should it?

Never had an HDMI/DVI issue in the past...

With version 2.1, HDMI/DVI connection gives me:

- the HD DVD logo
- a fast flash of color (for a half second)
- a black screen after software upload completion.

Sound remains via 5.1 multichannel analogs and there is no HDMI error on the display. Simply no video.

Solution is to unplug HDMI at the player for 10 seconds, replug and video is back.

Selecting Setup at any point repeats the experience described above. Must unplug HDMI and replug after 10 seconds then get access to Setup.

My sense is that this is a player issue and not HDCP. Once version 2.1 is done, one cannot repeat the update... it refuses saying that it has already been done.

Toshiba got me to bring the player (HD-A1) to the local authorized Toshiba service center yesterday.
post #728 of 753 Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 AM

After loading 2.0 I have occasionally gotten the hdmi error 1 message when starting dvds. I have noticed that if I hit the stop button just before the disc plays and then hit play again it plays the disc fine. I have a panasonic plasma with a dvi card which I plan to replace with hdmi card. (they were out of stock when I bought the set). I was hoping the 2.1 update solved the hdmi/dvi issues, and the toshiba csr told me it did. I have an hdmi card that isn't working and if I need to get a new one I was hoping the 2.1 fix would make things fine as is. When I load hddvds I don't get the error, only dvds.
post #729 of 753 Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 PM

yeah i had to switch cables and inputs and it works what a pain but i love hd-dvd too much

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #730 of 753 Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 AM

I'm thinking of picking one of these up to replace my Oppo as my standard DVD player and of course to pick up an HD-DVD player. My TV is 720p so it isn't a big deal that this player doesn't do 1080p.

My questions are:

When compared to the Oppo (I have the dvi with upconversion to 1080i) how well will this player do with SD dvd's?

I have an HDMI compatible receiver in the Pioneer VSX-72TXV so I'm wanting to run the sound and video of course through the receiver. Are there any known issues with the HDMI input? I've seen some posts, but I wondering how prevalant these issues are.

Last question is I've seen complaints in reviews about load times and response to menu selections, has the firmware updates fixed these problems?
post #731 of 753 Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post

I'm thinking of picking one of these up to replace my Oppo as my standard DVD player and of course to pick up an HD-DVD player. My TV is 720p so it isn't a big deal that this player doesn't do 1080p.

My questions are:

When compared to the Oppo (I have the dvi with upconversion to 1080i) how well will this player do with SD dvd's?

I have an HDMI compatible receiver in the Pioneer VSX-72TXV so I'm wanting to run the sound and video of course through the receiver. Are there any known issues with the HDMI input? I've seen some posts, but I wondering how prevalant these issues are.

Last question is I've seen complaints in reviews about load times and response to menu selections, has the firmware updates fixed these problems?

- its awesum with sd dvd's, especially when hooked up via hdmi
-intiial firmware was flaky with some HDMI, but that is one thing that has pretty much been solved via firmware updates
-load times still SUCK; menu's are still a bit quirky, although better than they were when this player first came out..

I was an early adopter, buying this unit the first week it came out..it renders movies wonderfully, but the operational issues are still a bit of a pain in the ass..
if you can handle the slow load times, and the occasional menu quirk; this is a great player, especially now that the prices have come down a bit..
post #732 of 753 Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

were is the faq located?
the link in the first post doenst go anywhere
post #733 of 753 Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

It seems like the known problem with btb clipping on the HD-A1 and HD-A2 models (When connected to certain TV's via HDMI) is still ongoing, even with the latest firmware for both players. Does anyone know if Toshiba is aware of this problem and if they're working on a solution?
post #734 of 753 Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM

I have and A1 connected to an Onkyo 605 reciever, while HD DVD AUDIO play flawlessly, the AUDIO soundtracks on DVDs is mute!

How do I fix or adjust this???
post #735 of 753 Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 AM

I have a Toshiba hd-a1sn. I recently updated the firmware and attempted to play a new hd dvd. it didn't play, instead it gave me an error 0x4014c000. What does this error mean and why doesn't the hd-dvd play?
post #736 of 753 Old 12-25-2007, 11:03 AM

I have a Toshiba hd-a1sn. I recently updated the firmware and attempted to play a new hd dvd. it didn't play, instead it gave me an error 0x4014c000. What does this error mean and why doesn't the hd-dvd play?
post #737 of 753 Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalan View Post

Using a CD, make the update process once again. If you made the 2.4 update before, repeat by going to:

http://www.tacp.com/tacpassets-image...vdfirmware.asp

and in paragraph 2, in the middle of the page, you will see prompt:
"CLICK HERE"
Click on that and download version 2.4. Copy to CD as an ISO or image file.

Put in the players tray and press "Eject".

Note: If your player already has version 2.4, you cannot repeat the update, if you go online, but you can using a CD. If that doesn't reolve the issue, you will need to get an uthorization number from Toshiba for repairs under warranty.
post #738 of 753 Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question regarding my A1. I would like to have my HDTV perform the 3:2 pulldown process as opposed to the A1, but it seems like this is not possible. In the A1 video settings there is no option to turn off the film detection mode, only film video and auto are the options. No off option.

So am I correct in assuming that it is not possible to use my HDTV for the 3:2 pulldown process since I cannot turn off the film mode detection on the A1?
post #739 of 753 Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Quick question regarding my A1. I would like to have my HDTV perform the 3:2 pulldown process as opposed to the A1, but it seems like this is not possible. In the A1 video settings there is no option to turn off the film detection mode, only film video and auto are the options. No off option.

So am I correct in assuming that it is not possible to use my HDTV for the 3:2 pulldown process since I cannot turn off the film mode detection on the A1?

I would try Video mode in the player then Film mode for the HDTV.
post #740 of 753 Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM

So now we are SOL with our HD a-1 players with everyone going to Blue-Ray???

John Boy
post #741 of 753 Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yes, we are...
post #742 of 753 Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post

So now we are SOL with our HD a-1 players with everyone going to Blue-Ray???

You will still be able to get your A1 serviced by Toshiba.

I take it you haven't been around AVS much this last month?

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #743 of 753 Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 AM

Are there any workarounds for setting audio delay while using 5.1 analogs ? There isn't a formal lip synch delay that I can see.

Theoretically, setting all the speaker distances to zero may help introduce some delay but it might be miniscule.

Any suggestions ?

(PS I read that Toshiba still intend to provide fw updates for their players, but it seems a long shot to me.)
post #744 of 753 Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Ever since I've used my A1 with 5.1 analog, I never had lip-sync issues. My receiver's 7.1 analog is discrete and has no Lip-Sync adjustments and everything is in-sync with my RPCRT HDTV. Lip-sync is issues are the receiver's task and sounds like your HDTV is adding delay to the video processing.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #745 of 753 Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Yes it most certainly is. I am using a Lumagen HDP to get 1080p24. I am having to use coaxial with a lip synch delay of 80ms !
post #746 of 753 Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

Yes it most certainly is. I am using a Lumagen HDP to get 1080p24. I am having to use coaxial with a lip synch delay of 80ms !

Yep, I need 110ms delay on toslink. However, when running analogs I do not see lip sync issues. I've actually had the analogs and toslink running at the same time and there is an "echo". The two signals are not synced! It seems like the analogs are delayed which is why I don't see lipsync issues while the toslink is not delayed. I think this is because the player adds delay when processing the analog signal and probably was not intentional but it works well for me.

BTW: Also need dealys for my cable STB's. It's inherent in my RP DLP.
post #747 of 753 Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

Yep, I need 110ms delay on toslink. However, when running analogs I do not see lip sync issues. I've actually had the analogs and toslink running at the same time and there is an "echo". The two signals are not synced! It seems like the analogs are delayed which is why I don't see lipsync issues while the toslink is not delayed. I think this is because the player adds delay when processing the analog signal and probably was not intentional but it works well for me.

BTW: Also need dealys for my cable STB's. It's inherent in my RP DLP.

Interesting. I checked my player and realised I have had Dynamic Range Compression on (I know this probably isn't meant to affect delay). I turned this off now and set digital out to PCM rather than bitstream (I know this probably isn't meant to affect the analogs).

Anyway, as well as sounding louder, now the analogs seem well synched, even though I am running the picture through a Lumagen - fantastic !

I have now also noticed that when listening to TrueHD and dts, there seems to be a lipsynch delay, but DD and DD+ are fine.
post #748 of 753 Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

Interesting. I checked my player and realised I have had Dynamic Range Compression on (I know this probably isn't meant to affect delay). I turned this off now and set digital out to PCM rather than bitstream (I know this probably isn't meant to affect the analogs).

Anyway, as well as sounding louder, now the analogs seem well synched, even though I am running the picture through a Lumagen - fantastic !

I have now also noticed that when listening to TrueHD and dts, there seems to be a lipsynch delay, but DD and DD+ are fine.

I've had compression off from the beginning, but there are times when I use the Toslnk to drive my Sony 5.1 headphones when my wife complains the sound is keeping her awake. So I have mine set to bitstream. Haven't tried to see how turning off Bitstream affects the analogs. Glad you were able to eliminate most of your lipsync issues.
post #749 of 753 Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 AM

The Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks will be converted to either standard DD or DTS and can be decoded by your receiver.
post #750 of 753 Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf888 View Post

The Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks will be converted to either standard DD or DTS and can be decoded by your receiver.

I'm sure we all know that it can convert DD+ to dts bitstream; technically, there is no conversion of DD+ to DD; the legacy DD track coexists with DD+, AFAIK.

Actually, I personally prefer the internal decoding on the HD-A1 , and my processor/preamp is the Tag McLaren AV32R bp192. IMO, the Toshiba's internal decoding punches well above its weight- incidentally, I have found that the best HD-A1 firmware for audio quality(both analog and bitstream) is v 2.0. I have been able to downgrade from v2.4 using a CD and I have tried the range of fw.

And of course the internal decoding on the HD-A1 is more jitter-free than a 2 box solution. I am using the 5.1 analog bypass on my Tag McLaren AV32R . Best wishes.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page