Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD FAQ: Link and Discussion thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 753 Old 05-20-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q: I use the analog outputs and my configuration is 5.0 as I don't use a sub or my subs get their LF from the mains. The A1 won't route the LFE to the large speakers. Is there a way around this?

A:LFE routing workaround

Well, I think I found a way around this.

This routes the LFE to the L and R fronts for those of us with 5.0 configurations using the analog outputs on the A1.

You need:

RCA y adapter cable one male to two female
RCA y adapter cable one female to two male
RCA y adapter cable one female to two male

2 in-line passive low pass filters 80,90 or 100 hz (100hz preferred, see below) male to female RCA

Split the .1 channel out from the A1 with the male-female y cable and attach both the low pass filters to this. Then use one female-male y cable to couple the .1 output off the filter to the L front, the other off the remaining filter to the R front.

Be sure subwoofer is set to use in the A1 menu and set the other speakers how you like.

The y adapters are 3.99 ea. at RS and low pass filters (Harrision) are available from Crutchfield for 29.99/pair. Total for the fix comes to around 42 dollars not including shipping on the lp filters. Custom car audio shops carry the in-line lowpass filters as well.

Low pass filters: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z91y1Vy...&cc=01&g=82600

You can't do it without the filters as this effectively sums the L+R channels as HT man said. The other benefit to this is it actually gives you test tones off the sub output on the A1 to help with setting the LFE level.

It is possible to route the LFE to all 5 channels but that would require splitting the LFE 5 ways and 5 low pass filters as well as multiple y-cables.

Thanks to RichB for his help on this.

5.0 the way to go.

Success! (Sort of) for LFE routing

Well, I put the 80 hz low pass filters in today. I had them all along; they were hiding in my nightstand drawer. Anyway, my LFE performance is now passable. Tried Hell Freezes Over, Jurassic Park T-Rex scene, as well as Serenity HD-DVD "aboard Serenity" scene. To be brief, shake, rattle, and roll.

I've concluded the LFE channel is around 10db too low, though. I had to turn down all the controls to -12 on the A1 (other than the sub control) and my LFE channel was still measuring around -3db compared to the others through THX optimizer test tones. The LFE sweep through AVIA is +/- 6db from about 75 hz to about 25 hz. This was with the other channels balanced to 0 db, C-weighted at 70db.

I still plan to order the 100 hz low pass filters from Crutchfield I think. I have a notch at about 80 hz which I believe the higher filter will help. Also, I'm hoping that will allow easier balancing of the LFE channel with the others by allowing a little more LFE through. I'll need to try setting the A1 crossover at 100 hz to see what that does as well.

I hope a firmware update will at least increase the relative gain on the LFE channel which should obviously help.

More info on LFE routing fix

Well, I've just about got it. I discovered that setting all speakers to Large actually increases the gain in the LFE channel by about 3db. I now have it balanced to within 1db with the other channels.

My LFE sweep through AVIA is now +/- 6db from 100 to 21 hz.

The 80hz notch is gone.

I listened to the opening scene in Independence Day. Excellent LFE performance.

The A1 hasn't exploded or started smoking yet.

Impressions of the 100hz low pass filter

In short, get this one. For me it is preferrable and my LFE level is now perfectly balanced to within .5db of the other channels with THX optimizer test tones. Independent channel balance is perfectly preserved. LFE sweep is +6db to -2db from 80 hz to 20 hz!

This may become unnecessary (hopefully) if a firmware upgrade eventually allows LFE routing. Until then, enjoy!

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 753 Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Are There And Dvd Recorders That Can Upconvert Over Component Cables?
post #183 of 753 Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
I can't remember how I changed resolutions and now I am stuck at 720p out
over HDMI - can someone help?

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #184 of 753 Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

I can't remember how I changed resolutions and now I am stuck at 720p out
over HDMI - can someone help?

Hit the Resolution button on the remote until 1080i lights up on the front panel display.
post #185 of 753 Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Hit the Resolution button on the remote until 1080i lights up on the front panel display.

Thanks - now I remember :-)

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #186 of 753 Old 05-30-2006, 07:38 AM

Question I have the Toshiba HD-A1 I was using a Denon receiver all seem to work great I decided to get a receiver that switches HDMI I decided on the Yamaha HTR-5990 the receiver appears to work OK the problem I am having is the HDMI audio display when I use my Sony up convert DVD player the receiver front display shows DTS or DD according to what I am listening to and when I play a standard def DVD in the Toshiba the display shows the audio stream I have chosen when ever I watch a HD DVD the display shows MPCM it does not matter if I am using DD or DTS I have tried changing all of the available settings and it still shows MPCM the correct channels light up and everything sounds good.
I called Toshiba and they have no idea what I am talking about.
Has anyone else experienced this and do you know if this is normal for this DVD-receiver hook up.
post #187 of 753 Old 05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWTC View Post

Question I have the Toshiba HD-A1 I was using a Denon receiver all seem to work great I decided to get a receiver that switches HDMI I decided on the Yamaha HTR-5990 the receiver appears to work OK the problem I am having is the HDMI audio display when I use my Sony up convert DVD player the receiver front display shows DTS or DD according to what I am listening to and when I play a standard def DVD in the Toshiba the display shows the audio stream I have chosen when ever I watch a HD DVD the display shows MPCM it does not matter if I am using DD or DTS I have tried changing all of the available settings and it still shows MPCM the correct channels light up and everything sounds good.
Has anyone else experienced this and do you know if this is normal for this DVD-receiver hook up.

I'm not sure I understand the question but I am using an HTR-5990 with an HD-A1 connected by HDMI. When you are playing the Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks from HD DVDs it is normal for the receiver to indicate multi-channel PCM. The player is decoding the DD+ soundtrack to PCM internally and sending the PCM over the HDMI connection to the receiver. The HD-A1 cannot pass DD+ over HDMI and the HTR-5990 cannot decode it, so using PCm is how it is supposed to work. You might want to read the first post of this thread which may help you understand how the audio is supposed to work.

John S
post #188 of 753 Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWTC View Post

I think I understand what you are saying after reading it twice. When you are playing HD-DVD with the DD+ soundtrack through HDMI the Yamaha is showing MPCM because that IS the Mult-channel PCM ( I think), If you are playing a SD DVD with the HD-A1 over the HDMI, it should be set to bitstream in the HD-A1 to send the raw undecoded DD/DTS sountrack to have the receiver do the decoding.

I would try it both ways with the SD DVDs to see which device does a better job decoding the standard DD/DTS. I am curious to know which sounds better myself, so let us know. I have the Yamaha htr-5790 and it has very good decoders in it, but who knows? Maybe the HD-A1 has better decoders. You will not know until you try them both.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 753 Old 05-31-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the A1 owner's manual, with the HDMI audio digital output set to "auto", the output will depend on the HDMI receiver. I assume this to mean that some AVR's will decode multichannel pcm regardless of whether it's DDplus from HDDVD or DD/DTS from regular DVD. Presumably AVR's which will not will be recognized and the ouput automatically changed to bitstream for regular DVD.

Setting it to PCM forces multichannel pcm output regardless, if the original signal is mulitchannel.

Setting it to bitstream will allow bitstream from regular DVD but force 2ch. downmixed pcm from advanced content authored HD DVD (which all discs are up to now).
post #190 of 753 Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe its been asked, but I didnt see it....Is there any way to get the A1 to pillarbox 4:3 material on component??

I have mine connected via HDMI, but even after the update, it wont pass BTB. The only reason I didnt switch to component is due to it not pillarboxing 4:3 material....am I missing something?

BTW - It DOES pillarbox 4:3 material on HDMI.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #191 of 753 Old 06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

Maybe its been asked, but I didnt see it....Is there any way to get the A1 to pillarbox 4:3 material on component??

I have mine connected via HDMI, but even after the update, it wont pass BTB. The only reason I didnt switch to component is due to it not pillarboxing 4:3 material....am I missing something?

BTW - It DOES pillarbox 4:3 material on HDMI.

Rock,

Why not just use your display to pillar box? Unless I'm missing something. I think I have tried all resolutions over component to my pj and RPTV without problems.

Stace
post #192 of 753 Old 06-12-2006, 06:55 AM

I have a DD decoder with SPDIF (4), Toslink (1), and AC-3 RF (1). It decodes 5.1 just fine from my D* receiver, Laser Disk, and standard DVD player. I can not get the HD-DVD properly decoded, I have tried PCM and Bitstream both over the optical and coaxial connections from the player and I can only get 2 ch. PCM which decodes as plain surround. When sending bitstream I get a very muddled, strange sounding, L-R output from the decoder. How can I get 5.1 over the toslink or optical to decode? This is a separate Sony preamp component feeding 5 amps and 2 subs and works great with the signals from my SDVD or D*. What's up with that? I have the HDMI output set to Auto and connected directly to my 60" SXRD. The TV is set to DD and I get good sound from it albeit Sony's conversion of DD into the L-R TV speakers. How can I get 5.1 from my main system? PS., I read the first page.
post #193 of 753 Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Q: I use the analog 5.1 outputs from the player into my AVR's "direct" or "passthru" input and I'm having trouble getting adequate volume from my subwoofer. I've used THX test tones and an SPL meter and I just can't get enough loudness from the subwoofer channel. What can I do?

A: First, be sure you've taken advantage of any possible subwoofer channel level controls on your AVR/pre-pro. Some apply these adjustments in the analog domain (best). Then, consider boosting the gain control on your subwoofer. Remember, you may have to re-adjust the subwoofer channel level on the AVR for digital inputs if you do this. Finally, setting all the speakers to Large in the A1 menu will maximize the LFE channel output. It gives about 4db more gain than when having rears/center set to Small. If you have taken these steps and you still need more sub gain to balance the LFE (subwoofer) channel, see below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fix found (analog LFE boost if using passthru connection)

I found a fix. It at least makes it workable.

I simply put an A/V distribution amp in-line with the analog LFE output. Supposedly, the specs on the amp say "1:1" meaning 2volts in, 2volts out but for whatever reason it results in about 5db gain on the LFE channel.
I theorize that it raises the LFE from maybe around 1V to 2Volts therefore resulting in gain. This allowed me to raise the other channels on the A1 by 5db to -7db. Basically, it lowers the system noise floor by 5db which is what I was after. Now, Warner Bros. discs (POTO for ex.) can produce satisfying volume with adequate S/N ratio.

I got the amp used from a local B&M but I really don't think there's anything special about the one I have and they are commonly available.

http://www.cable-electronics.com/Upl...mpdistamp2.pdf

I have found prior to this that setting all speakers to Large in the A1 maximizes the LFE output and raises it around 4db compared to just having the mains at Large. This would be the first thing to do IMO. After this, use the A/V distribution amp for another 5db LFE gain if necessary.

As pointed out to me by bobgpsr, it is possible that the added LFE gain obtained via the A/V amp method may vary somewhat depending on your AVR/pre-pro's input impedance load.
post #194 of 753 Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Rock,

Why not just use your display to pillar box? Unless I'm missing something. I think I have tried all resolutions over component to my pj and RPTV without problems.

Stace

Yeah, I guess I could do that....just not a fan of having to manually change it.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -

post #195 of 753 Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why is there no thread detailing which HDTV's actually work with HDMI and the HD-A1????????? At this point it would be very helpful.
post #196 of 753 Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Q

I get an error message like: 'HDMI ERROR 2' and/or the Toshiba locks up: what happened?

A:

one reason could be the HDMI cable was disconnected, or you turned off your HDMI connected display with the Tosh still running: this can cause this error message, or cause the Tosh to lock up, or both:

you will need to reboot the Tosh (unplug the AC!)

Can't you just hold the power button for 10 seconds?

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #197 of 753 Old 06-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Need help / question-
Have HDMI going from Runco projector to HDA1. Continually get HDMI ERROR when attempting to play SD-DVDs in 1080.

1.2 did not fix. Anyone else have this problem trying to play SD? Any fixes?
Thanks
post #198 of 753 Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Need help / question-
Have HDMI going from Runco projector to HDA1. Continually get HDMI ERROR when attempting to play SD-DVDs in 1080.

1.2 did not fix. Anyone else have this problem trying to play SD? Any fixes?
Thanks

You might try contacting Runco. Since there haven't been a lot or reports of this problem with other displays, it might be an HDMI issue with the projector.

John S
post #199 of 753 Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

What does it mean for regular SD DVD audio when playing them in the HD-A1 and all you have is the 5.1 analog outputs hooked up to your receiver? I know for HD DVDs I'm supposedly getting Dolby Digital Plus coming through when the player audio is set to 'PCM', but what am I getting on regular DVDs?
post #200 of 753 Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Is there any way to mute the HDMI audio output from my HD A1? I'm using the 5.1 analog outs to my reciever and the HDMI cable to my Samsung DLP. It's a real bummer having to lower the audio on my television everytime I switch over from my cable box to my HD-A1.
post #201 of 753 Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 PM

MikeyJ,

I have a new Samsung DLP. Did you try setting the internal Mute to just get rid of the DLPs speaker altogether?

Dave
post #202 of 753 Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 View Post

What does it mean for regular SD DVD audio when playing them in the HD-A1 and all you have is the 5.1 analog outputs hooked up to your receiver? I know for HD DVDs I'm supposedly getting Dolby Digital Plus coming through when the player audio is set to 'PCM', but what am I getting on regular DVDs?

The Tos player has normal DD and DTS decoders built in. In your usage it just decodes them properly and outputs over the analog outputs. No different than the HD DVD DD+ decode. I would think that that "PCM" setting that you are talking about is only for HDMI. Leave the Tos set at "Bitstream" for the SPDIF output if your AVR has both DD and DTS decoders. Neither HDMI or SPDIF affects the analog outputs. The SPEAKER SETTING (should set at 5.1 and do the layered distance and level setups) does affect the analog outputs.

Bob
post #203 of 753 Old 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Will using a better hdmi cable then the one included make much difference. Is it worth buying a high quality cable?
post #204 of 753 Old 07-09-2006, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone have the Toshiba hooked to a 36" or 34" display? I am about to buy this because of all the positive comments but have heard that I probably will not see much improvement a smaller screen. Both sets can do 1080i. Thanks.
post #205 of 753 Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I can tell the difference on my 17" kitchen monitor which is hooked into my main AV system. I'm sure you will have no problems seeing an improvement on a 30 something screen.
post #206 of 753 Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asummerlin View Post

It seems that a few of us have "fixed" HDMI to DVI conversion problems on older sets by using a dual-link DVI cable instead of single. Maybe that should go somewhere on the FAQ to save alot of headaches and returned players.

Where do you find a dual link HDMI to DVI converter. I have a dual-link DVI cable, but can only find a single link converter.

Scott
post #207 of 753 Old 07-10-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Where do you find a dual link HDMI to DVI converter. I have a dual-link DVI cable, but can only find a single link converter.

Scott

www.dvigear.com

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #208 of 753 Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Just got my Toshiba hookup to my FP Panny ae900.I only have one HD MOVIE'The perfect Storm.So far everything lloks great and no problems.I had the HD movie set on 1080i in the player and i put in the last starwars and set the player to 480p.Would this be the best settings.I was think 720p would be best for my FP since it is 720.I have to say even my older dvd's look so much better Black or alot blacker it seems.The sounds is also better.I am just using a optic out DTS.I just got the Toshiba today.How can you tell what firmware is installed.No problems so i will leave well enouhg alone.Well back to the movies.Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
post #209 of 753 Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Just got my Toshiba hookup to my FP Panny ae900.I only have one HD MOVIE'The perfect Storm.So far everything lloks great and no problems.I had the HD movie set on 1080i in the player and i put in the last starwars and set the player to 480p.Would this be the best settings.I was think 720p would be best for my FP since it is 720.I have to say even my older dvd's look so much better Black or alot blacker it seems.The sounds is also better.I am just using a optic out DTS.I just got the Toshiba today.How can you tell what firmware is installed.No problems so i will leave well enouhg alone.Well back to the movies.Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

If you are connected with HDMI you should be using 1080i for the best picture quality. I has been well documented here that the 720p output on the HD-A1 is broken so do yourself a favor and don't use it.

Enjoy your new toy!

Stace
post #210 of 753 Old 07-10-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

If you are connected with HDMI you should be using 1080i for the best picture quality. I has been well documented here that the 720p output on the HD-A1 is broken so do yourself a favor and don't use it.

Enjoy your new toy!

Stace

Thanks Stace.Yes i am using HDMI and 1080i,Pic is quite nice.I never thought i would say byby to my Denon 1600.But i am going to keep it for DV-AUDIO.Now i just need to get the new Rotel Recever with HDMI and a SVS sub.THANKS
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page