Tosh Hd-xa1 User Thread & LINK to FAQ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If you are happy with the picture I would either experiment more with your current player of bring it back and exchange it for another...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

rs232, the backlit remote, motorized door and to say you spent $300 extra to have the high end toshiba......

Or the wireless networking?

In my own case, I have an existing wireless router (Linksys WRT54GS) in the room next door to where the Toshiba is going. Given a choice of running wires or going wireless, wireless wins.
post #183 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

Let's see... I've had the unit less than 24 hours and here's what I know...

The menu set up is cool, but I cannot move any cursor down, unless the film has locked up, then it works perfectly. Which would be useful if I could actually play the movie.

Good thing I bought this unit from a physical store... Should I need to return it, which is seeming very likely, I can get my refund fairly quickly.

So far, this launch is looking like a complete cluster (insert explicitive), and going to nothign but damage the future of packaged HD media.

fitprod

I have to agree I watched apollo 13 with a bunch of people in my theater and it locked up 5 times had to uplug the unit and wait and wait.

I like the player but Its way to buggy for me, its going back
post #184 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

I bought mine on Tuesday at Ultimate Electronics. They were having a "preferred" customer special tonight with 10% off most purchases and told me if I came back tonight they could give me the 10% off the Xa1 + any movies. Just got back and am a happy camper.

While I was there I mentioned to the salesperson that my player had locked up while watching Phantom of the Opera, and he acknowledged that they (as a company) were aware of the bugs. He claims that's why the launch was pushed back a month until April. Whether or not he really knew, he implied that a firmware update was on the way.
post #185 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

fitprod, That down button is tricky. If you hear two clicks when you press it you entered the input between down and left or right. You will only hear one click if you press the down button correctly.

Clark, with all due respect, I shouldn't have to listen for the "click" to know if I've done something correct with the remote. It's a defective design.

Quote:

If you are happy with the picture I would either experiment more with your current player of bring it back and exchange it for another...

Joerod, "Being happy with the picture" can only take one so far. If the unit can not play back the superior picture back properly, what's the point?

I've experimented with the player with three different HD DVD's, there nothing more to "experiment" with. I've already E-mailed Toshiba all of the problems I've had. Hopefully they'll respond promptly.

It's sort of a shame since it has quite awesome up-conversion for standard DVD's and HD... Well that explains itself.

It figure that my gut instinct about Toshiba is coming true... Couldn't build a standard def player properly, can't build an HD unit either.

If there isn't quick fix, I'm returning the player and waiting for someone to build a good HD DVD unit.

fitprod
post #186 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

I've just had a second disc freeze up on me today... I'm suddenly less optimistic about my player. I was 1 hour 16 min into Last Samurai and the image froze and audio dropped. The image stuttered for a bit and would not stop until I pressed the chapter skip. I restarted the disc and went back to the same spot. This time it played through but then about 40 seconds later it froze again and this time made a very loud static noise.

Minute-wise this was about the same place where Phantom of the Opera froze on me earlier today. In both instances I was simply watching and had not touched the remote since the movie started.

Today was the first time I had tried watching any movie all the way through so now I'm wondering if I have a defective unit. My player is level and it is well ventilated. Should I be exchanging the unit or the software?
post #187 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Wow.

On the giant screen with the Optoma HD72, I felt like I was transported back 11 years to the premier of "Apollo 13". What a stunning transfer to HD-DVD-- the movie has never ever looked this good. Universal should be proud.

The fidelity of the HD color pallet is enormous. Mrs. Lovell's red hair glistens with Auburn and red highlights. The period clothing (lots of yellows, red, green and blue) sparkles with a sort of digital technicolor. And every expression of fear, anxiety and hope is expressed with crystal clear clarity through the eyes of each performer. Indeed, the quality is so good that it actually enhances the story and takes on an altogether different discovery. In fact, during close-ups of the color console television broadcasts, you could even see the shadow mask through the glass! Believe me when I say this takes on a 70mm kind of appeal I have yet to see in any high definition broadcast. Don't forget that HD is not JUST about resolution, it also contains a much larger color space that makes standard DVD look pale in comparison.

And after the closing credits were completed, this HD-DVD disc automatically cues up the first available special content on the disc. How is that for first class authoring?

Oh, and the sound. Absolutely explosive soundtrack in Dolby Digital Plus puts you in the center of all the action. Yet, in the middle of a field we hear the soft breeze of wind against the tall grass and the chirping sounds of birds in the distance. You could hear a pin drop. (This also speaks well to the very low noise of the Optoma HD72 projector). Having dual 15" powered subwoofers can't hurt either! To do this, of course, I used the built in decoder in the player and sent all 5.1 tracks out manually to my Denon. Using a radio shack SPL meter, I used the channel balance set up in the player menu and it worked just fine.

And the player worked without a hitch. The entire movie was void of any lock-ups, HDMI errors or any other issues. I turned off the panel display and simply enjoyed the movie.

A few notes are in order: Be sure you eject the disc and turn the player off BEFORE you turn the projector off (using HDMI). Once the projector is OFF, it no longer handshakes with the player and warns you with an HDMI error that something is wrong in the signal path. Also, with this movie, I found that shifting the gamma to PC actually opened up the mid tones just a bit and naturalized the skin tones.

The remote control is really easy to operate and in a darkened theater, the backlight feature is very welcome. If the rest of the HD movies are as superb as Apollo 13, I have many hours of enjoyment to look forward too.

This is truly state of the art viewing.

Clint Thayer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 1863 Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:

However, going back to my Denon 2900 there is an easily noticeable difference and the Toshiba was definitely better PQ and especially SQ wise with SDDVDs.

I have also switched from a 2900 to an XA1 tonight. I haven't tried any HD-DVD titles yet. I've been messing with Kong and Dances With Wolves (2-disc DTS version.)

I am also noticing much better picture quality. The only problem I am having is that it seems like some scenes seem "over-exposed", like the highlights are getting blown out. But, it could just be me.
post #189 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Fitprod you need to exchange your unit ASAP. I would not settle for lock ups and audio dropouts. I would return my unit if it was doing that. As these threads continue we are learning more people are having issues while many others are not. So if you get a defective unit get it back before they run out of XA1a...

post #190 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Fitprod you need to exchange your unit ASAP. I would not settle for lock ups and audio dropouts. I would return my unit if it was doing that. As these threads continue we are learning more people are having issues while many others are not. So if you get a defective unit get it back before they run out of XA1a...

Hmmmm! I'm seeing a disturbing number of posts from folks with defective players. Seems like the same lock-up problem in all cases. Did you guys see this right out of the box, or had it been working, and it started later? Does it also lock-up when playing sd discs, or just HD?
I guess time will tell how many defects Toshiba turned loose on the consumer.
Hell of a way to launch a new format!
post #191 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Let's not forget the most vocal consumers are the ones with the problems. I am sure there are many happy customers that we don't hear from...

post #192 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 AM

My XA-1 has locked up twice while watching HD Serenity. Image froze and stuttered and I had to go back to chapter beginning to resume play.

It may be dust on the disc (a Blockbuster rental).

I have watched 10+ SD movies with 0 problems and the image quality is absolutely incredible. It blows away my Panasonic S97 (both using HDMI).

The SD version of Sahara was almost HD on my Pioneer 43" plasma. The XA-1 is well worth the money to me just for the SD quality.

Don
post #193 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am more and more amazed at how great this dvd player does at upconverting...

post #194 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM

only a few more days for me before I get my HD-DVD fix. I was shipped the A1 instead of the XA1 so now I'm waiting for my exchange.

post #195 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am more and more amazed at how great this dvd player does at upconverting...

Me too! I am very surprised that the "X" has a cleaner picture then my Denon 3910. I had figured I would need to use the Denon for sd playback, assuming the X couldnt possibly out perform it. I guess the Toshiba will be my main player now.
post #196 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

It should be your main player. It is now mine as well. It is doing as good as my SP1000, and now I am trying it against a Pioneer 79... Way to go Toshiba!

post #197 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my XA-1 from Robert at ****************.
Works perfectly!
Audio is spectacular especially over the 5.1 analog output.
Beautiful HD picture that plays every title so far with not one lock up .
Upconverting is better than my Denon 5910 I recently sold!
post #198 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 02:48 PM

Hey Gang,

First, I just placed an order for the XA1 from Value Elec.

Now, I know when I am watching HD DVDs, for now, I will be utilizing the analog 5.1 outs so that I may listen to DD+ on my HK 635.

My question is, what happens when I watch an SD? Can I also keep the toslink cable plugged into the XA1 and tell it to use that output when watching SDs? Would I need to go into the setup menu of the XA1 to tell it to use which output and when?

Thanks for your help!

Tom
post #199 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have both connected and I switch from COAX to MULTICHANNEL on my receiver. It works fine for me that way...

post #200 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's not forget the most vocal consumers are the ones with the problems. I am sure there are many happy customers that we don't hear from...

like my sarcastic post in the 60inch XBR1 post this is what i got to say:
if I post a post that means I got a problem, but if I dont post a post that means I dont have a problem, but if I dont post this post that means you dont know I have a player which means I dont know if I have one or not. So posting this post does not mean I have a problem with my player, but in regards if I posted that means to some folks I have some kind of problem, but im mentioning now I dont have a problem im only posting to say I dont have a problem like eveyrones post thats post something saying they have a problem I dont have a problem I watch 4 movies in HD on my player each move played 3x so far, but no problems, but im still posting this to indicate I dont have a problem........no sirrrrrr...no problem yet.
post #201 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Now, I know when I am watching HD DVDs, for now, I will be utilizing the analog 5.1 outs so that I may listen to DD+ on my HK 635.

Quote:

Can I also keep the toslink cable plugged into the XA1 and tell it to use that output when watching SDs?

That is the same setup I have, I have the "DVD" input set to Optical 1 and the 6 channel analog hooked up to the Analog inputs. When watching SD I use the DVD setting (for Logic 7) and when watching HD I switch over to 6 channel. The player sends out both the Digital and Analog signal at the same time.

I will be interested to see if you have the huge difference in sound quality between the SPDIF and Analog that I see with my 635.
post #202 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Good post jocktheglide... I think it would be great to hear from members without issues...

post #203 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oh and congrats steviec...

post #204 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM

Ezra,

Do i need to go into the 635s menu to tell it to use the 6 ch analong in or is there a button on the 635s remote?
post #205 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM

ezra,

may i get your email address? i know i have some more questions.

For example, if I have the toslink and 6 ch analog connected on the xa1 at the same time...

and i have the toslink from the xa1 coming into the 635 as opt 1 and the 6ch analog from the xa1 coming into the 6 ch analog inputs on the 635, would i then tell the xa1 to only output 6ch analog for HD and toslink for SD or would I need to manipulate the 635 in some way via menus to do the same? Thanks for your help!
post #206 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Feel free to PM me but the answer to your question is that the 6 Channel Direct has it's own discrete button on the remote, you can actually switch back and forth between the 6 Channel and Digital inputs by using the remote.
post #207 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

No issues, great video and sound quality. Even did a "burn-in" test wtih serentiy three times in a row.

probably the HDMI handshake is one of the main culprits, my guess. I'd wonder how those folks would do with component? However, all my testing has been HDMI into a DTRO vision DVI to RGBHV converter for my NEC CRT FPTV. No issues at all.

Earth First!

We can screw up the other planets later!
post #208 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Cool! ^^^

post #209 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

That is the same setup I have, I have the "DVD" input set to Optical 1 and the 6 channel analog hooked up to the Analog inputs. When watching SD I use the DVD setting (for Logic 7) and when watching HD I switch over to 6 channel. The player sends out both the Digital and Analog signal at the same time.

I will be interested to see if you have the huge difference in sound quality between the SPDIF and Analog that I see with my 635.

I own a Pioneer elite vsx-47 THX Ultra 2 reciever and have usually listened to everything in THX surround -ex and THX DTS-ex and I have to say I am blown away by the sound from the 5.1 analog which I hear is Dolby Digital plus which is 1.5 GBS?
Anyway, I dont even miss using the rear channels everything is so smooth and dynamic.
Also I no longer need THX processing and I have always been a THX freak! M&K 150's in 7.1 config.
Of course I went into the player audio menu and set the speaker distances the same as I have on my reciever and also changed the sub crossover to 80hz. and all I can say is I am one happy camper!
post #210 of 1863 Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 PM

I just bought the HD-XA1 and hooked it up to my Infocus 7200 via an HDMI - DVI cable. The projector can't synch with the signal. It's trying to setup a picture, showing the input and then "Setting Up Picture" but in just goes back to "Input 1" again and so on. I have firmware v4.0 (the latest) in my 7200. My cable is good because the HD-XA1 works with my Samsung LCD with DVI.
The Toshiba says HDMI Error1 when connected to the 7200.. Tried unplugging and plugging the cable, restarting the projector, etc. Any ideas?? (I of course am using the required M1-DVI adapter on the projector).

TA
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page