OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since network integration is something that HD DVD, Bluray and other media components are now taking advantage of, I setup a fairly inexpensive wireless solution that works quite well.

I use a Netgear router on my PC , the RangeMax 240 Wireless Router. Its wireless coverage is very good..get a great signal about 80ft away in my living room (HD-A1 location).

At the HD-A1 I have a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless 4-port Switch (WGPS606). The HD-A1 is connected to this, leaving 3 ports open for expansion (Blu-ray, PS3/XBpx360..whatever).

I recommend this type of setup for anyone without wired access near their media center.

Just my .02 if it helps

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

But breaking the HDMI connection MIGHT halt the update, so I would make sure you set the HDTV to component output on the player before shutting off the tv.

losing the HDMI handshake has no effect...i started the upgrade then powered down my entire system except the hd dvd player and when i returned home, the upgrade had completed (i found the unit powered off...which made me a little nervous, but all was well...either it powered down on its own or my wife powered it down).
post #93 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That is good to know, but if I decided to shut my HDTV off while it updated I think I would still change it to component output to play it safe.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is good to know, but if I decided to shut my HDTV off while it updated I think I would still change it to component output to play it safe.

you can never be too safe, i suppose, but i don't have that option as i haven't hooked up the player with anything other than hdmi...i suppose i could but i don't want to add another three interconnects for no real reason...

just be assured that you can power down your display and let the player update...given that my update took quite a while, i would rather not burn those bulb hours watching "now updating..."
post #95 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Does anybody have the HD-A1 with RCA logo during boot? My unit will not download the new firmware, it errors out with "VUP Error 123" every single time. It's not a problem with my network as I can ping the player from my iMac. I know it has a good connection out to the internet.

I'm just thinking that it won't install the Toshiba firmware because maybe it thinks my player is an RCA. I have one of those freak players that shows an RCA logo during boot when in fact it is a Toshiba HD-A1. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem or has seen this error number. Thanks.
post #96 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terabeast View Post

Does anybody have the HD-A1 with RCA logo during boot? My unit will not download the new firmware, it errors out with "VUP Error 123" every single time. It's not a problem with my network as I can ping the player from my iMac. I know it has a good connection out to the internet.

I'm just thinking that it won't install the Toshiba firmware because maybe it thinks my player is an RCA. I have one of those freak players that shows an RCA logo during boot when in fact it is a Toshiba HD-A1. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem or has seen this error number. Thanks.

do you have dns set up properly?
post #97 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

do you have dns set up properly?

Yup, DNS is configured to point to my router, just like all the other devices on my network. I'm pretty certain it's not a network issue. I've already done all the troubleshooting like switching wires with my working 360, turning off firewalls, putting the DVD player wide open in the DMZ.
post #98 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

losing the HDMI handshake has no effect...i started the upgrade then powered down my entire system except the hd dvd player and when i returned home, the upgrade had completed (i found the unit powered off...which made me a little nervous, but all was well...either it powered down on its own or my wife powered it down).

the player powers off after 20 min. of inactivity, fyi
post #99 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

after downloading are you suppose to then hit intilize button?
post #100 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide View Post

after downloading are you suppose to then hit intilize button?

Steps I followed:

1. Download
2. Player shut itself off
3. Remove power cable for 30 seconds (I am told this is not required, but I did anyway)
4. I turned it on (after plugging it back on) ---> set up
4. Initialize-->set up
5. You have to re-do the speaker settings etc.
6. set-up to complete set up and turn off player.

Overall: My start -up time increased from around 50 seconds to see image from OFF-->image to 1 min 20 seconds! I am not sure why, but now the player plays badly scratched disks with no problems....

I guess my initial load up time of 45-50 seconds from OFF-->image was much faster than most and now it's back to normal.
post #101 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, DNS is configured to point to my router, just like all the other devices on my network. I'm pretty certain it's not a network issue. I've already done all the troubleshooting like switching wires with my working 360, turning off firewalls, putting the DVD player wide open in the DMZ.

i'm not sure i unerstand what you mean by points to your router and maybe it is what i mean, but what the toshiba needs is the dns server number that your isp provides you...so you would see these numbers assigned via dhcp by your isp to your cable modem/router...you then plug one of those numbers (mine usually gets three dns server numbers from my optonline isp) into the toshiba...unless, you have your router set up as a dhcp server and then i guess it should automatically grab it from the router (maybe that is what you mean by points to router)...but you may want to manually enter a dns number if you are having problems just to confirm.
post #102 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

the player powers off after 20 min. of inactivity, fyi

that is actually an option that i do not have enabled so i believe part of the upgrade simply shut down the player and didn't restart it automatically...can anyone confirm this who did an attended upgrade via the internet...i did an unattended upgrade
post #103 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 06:19 PM

I upgraded my XA1 with yorkie2k's upload. Burned to CD-R with Nero and upgraded w/out issue.

My XA1 is connected to my broadband router and when I updated it said I was already updated (1.2).

I'm HDMI > DVI and I don't pass BTB. I don't see any difference in PQ, still looks amazing.

I'm hoping that the BTB and colorspace issues are something they can fix for us DVI guys.

I only had problems with Van Helsing skipping. Now it plays fine. I was always able to play burned DVD-R and DVD+R DL. No issues with factory DVDs.

I sent in the card early, it will be nice just to have an 'official' copy of the firmware update, I believe yorkie's is the 'official' version. (and thanks for sharing with us )
post #104 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. Since the internal hardware is the same for all the current HD DVD players, I would presume that the main components all come from the same factory. With that said, your unit almost certainly has the wrong firmware loaded.

There is probably a flag which indicates the maufacturer. Since the update doesn't match, it it rejected by the player.

You'll probably have to wait until RCA releases an update.

Another thought is that your router might be blocking a port that the player needs to complete the download request. Have you tried turning off your router's firewall before downloading the update?

Worst case, call Toshiba tech support and explain the situation. They may have a workaround.
post #105 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Hi everyone,
for those of you having throuble updating online, here is link to site which among other files, has for download latest Toshiba HD-A1/HD-XA1/HD-D1 firmware:

http://hdtv.kbenterprises.com/

Enjoy,

Kris
post #106 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM

When I connect for the upgrade for HD-XA-1, I am getting an error msg :
VUP ERROR 133. What is that ?.Please help ...

K.G.
post #107 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 PM

What is VUP error 133 ?.
post #108 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a HD-A1 in all respects except that it shows the RCA logo on boot up, AND the upgrade license agreement is for Thompson NOT Toshiba.

I called Toshiba and they are sending me a disc to solve the problem and change it completely to a Toshiba player. I tried to pin him down as to what the "VUP ERROR 123" code meant, but he just said that when he mentioned the error code to a tech, they said to send a certain disc to resolve it. I asked if it would resolve the problem with direct download of future updates so the internet connection works, and he said yes.

Mine is coming early next week so I will report how well it works. You should call them to get the firmware disc shipped to you. They refused to send it even 2 day mail, even after I threatened to return it and wait for a BD player if they didn't get it to me right away. I guess I am not a very good liar, and he didn't believe me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #109 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Im using HDMI to HDMI and even after the update Im still not getting the A1 to pass BTB
post #110 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

Im using HDMI to HDMI and even after the update Im still not getting the A1 to pass BTB

What HDTV do you have? Some HDTVs clip BTB & WTW so it will never show. I KNOW that the LG 44SZ65D that I returned DID clip BTB, but I returned it and 5 other attempts at owning one because they all had problems.

post #111 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.berger View Post

Hi everyone,
for those of you having throuble updating online, here is link to site which among other files, has for download latest Toshiba HD-A1/HD-XA1/HD-D1 firmware:

Enjoy,

Kris

How fast or slow is that sever? I have a 6Mbps download speed and it is saying 13+ hours and only downloaded 249kb of the InHD test after 3 minutes and stalled.

Is everyone else downloading and causing the slowdown?

Which is the version of INHD that could be burned to a standard DVD?

Thanks!

post #112 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.G. View Post

When I connect for the upgrade for HD-XA-1, I am getting an error msg :
VUP ERROR 133. What is that ?.Please help ...

K.G.

Ethernet connection in the player may not be set up properly. Go to ethernet and turn on DNS and DHCP. (check the manual under ethernet connection and this will make more sense) This may be the problem.
post #113 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 PM

I've held off on the HD-DVD because I read that we when you change inputs, you have to reboot the player and start the movie from the beginning.

I'm always switching inputs between the 360, PVR, and the DVD player, and sometimes it takes me a week to finish watching a movie.

So does this update fix that? Can I pause a movie, switch to another input to watch TV, then switch back and just continue watching from where I left off?

Thanks
post #114 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
web
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeS View Post

...I'm HDMI > DVI and I don't pass BTB. I don't see any difference in PQ, still looks amazing.

I'm hoping that the BTB and colorspace issues are something they can fix for us DVI guys...

I am using HDMI-DVI and after updating the firmware, BTB is now being passed. With the initial firmware, the drop shadow on the THX optimizer test was not visible. After the update, the drop shadow and all of the boxes are visible.

web
post #115 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grody View Post

I've held off on the HD-DVD because I read that we when you change inputs, you have to reboot the player and start the movie from the beginning.

I'm always switching inputs between the 360, PVR, and the DVD player, and sometimes it takes me a week to finish watching a movie.

So does this update fix that? Can I pause a movie, switch to another input to watch TV, then switch back and just continue watching from where I left off?

Thanks

Most new HD-DVD's have a bookmark feature where you can bookmark numerous places in the movie, and then go right back to them at a later date.
post #116 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:

How fast or slow is that sever? I have a 6Mbps download speed and it is saying 13+ hours and only downloaded 249kb of the InHD test after 3 minutes and stalled.

Is everyone else downloading and causing the slowdown?

Which is the version of INHD that could be burned to a standard DVD?

Thanks!

It's somewhere in this same neighborhood (4 - 6 Mb/s), I see continuous activity... hence slowdowns, I guess. The file you are looking for has extension .img (original, it's zipped, so it will be .zip of course), it's marked accordingly on the list.

Enjoy,

Kris
post #117 of 3260 Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post

Most new HD-DVD's have a bookmark feature where you can bookmark numerous places in the movie, and then go right back to them at a later date.

But if I pause the movie, switch inputs, then switch back to to the movie does the player lock-up or give me an error, forcing me to reboot?

Being able to bookmark the movie would help a bit, but it will still be annoying to have to restart the player all the time, because I'm always cycling through the inputs.
post #118 of 3260 Old 06-08-2006, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What HDTV do you have? Some HDTVs clip BTB & WTW so it will never show. I KNOW that the LG 44SZ65D that I returned DID clip BTB, but I returned it and 5 other attempts at owning one because they all had problems.

A Mitsubishi wd-52628.

It passed BTB with my previous dvd player(Denon 2910)
post #119 of 3260 Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by web View Post

I am using HDMI-DVI and after updating the firmware, BTB is now being passed. With the initial firmware, the drop shadow on the THX optimizer test was not visible. After the update, the drop shadow and all of the boxes are visible.

web

Web,

What is your display? Mine is an Infocus 7200 clone. Maybe its just a little too old but at least I can run HDMI > DVI.
post #120 of 3260 Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.berger View Post

Hi everyone,

Enjoy,

Kris

How is that different than the other one that was available here? Has it been approved by Toshiba? If not, then people may wish to wait for an official copy.
J
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page