OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2006, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 116
As noted in the 'Latest Software Update?' thread, it is here.

I connected my ethernet last night in anticipation of it and sure enough this morning, I manually started the download from the Toshiba menu and 30 minutes later (broadband), my player was updated to the 1.20 firmware.

As a note, I checked the Toshiba website and it is NOT available for download. At this point etherent only.

I have had zero problems prior to the update, so we'll see if it is still that way.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

As noted in the 'Latest Software Update?' thread, it is here.

I connected my ethernet last night in anticipation of it and sure enough this morning, I manually started the download from the Toshiba menu and 30 minutes later (broadband), my player was updated to the 1.20 firmware.

As a note, I checked the Toshiba website and it is NOT available for download. At this point etherent only.

I have had zero problems prior to the update, so we'll see if it is still that way.

Off to Rat Shack for an ethernet cable! Interesting. I was on the phone with a Tosh Rep asking for an update to be sent to me. I never sent in the card, but registered my unit online at their site. He told me (last evening) that they were still working on an update and that I would be notified my email since I registered on their website. He didn't know when the "update" would be released. I did not tell him about the update file already being posted on AVS!

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wonder if it's exactly the same as the update that has been used by others (and me) from this forum. It has the same rev number so I assume it's the same. I hope someone later today can add some color to this assumption.

And speaking of color, I'm waiting for the DVI color fix.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice! I'm going upstairs now! Plus the XBOX 360 Update Is available too!

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

i fired mine up this morning to start the update and by the time i had to run off to the salt mines the front panel only indicated 30 percent completee..that was 30 in after staring...i have it connected wirelessly using a linksys wireless-g bridge and i know that the wireless bridge is flaky so i'm just hoping it completes or that they devised a failsafe way to perform this update in the event it gets interrupted!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post

I wonder if it's exactly the same as the update that has been used by others (and me) from this forum. It has the same rev number so I assume it's the same. I hope someone later today can add some color to this assumption.

And speaking of color, I'm waiting for the DVI color fix.

I used the update from this forum. This morning I attempted to update via the internet and the player indicated that it already had the latest revision.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

i fired mine up this morning to start the update and by the time i had to run off to the salt mines the front panel only indicated 30 percent completee..that was 30 in after staring...i have it connected wirelessly using a linksys wireless-g bridge and i know that the wireless bridge is flaky so i'm just hoping it completes or that they devised a failsafe way to perform this update in the event it gets interrupted!

Although only somebody at Toshiba would know for sure, generally such updates are devised to be failsafe. If they're not then some software engineer at Toshiba would be a complete bonehead. The typical protocol for such an update is to download the entire content of the update, validate it (using checksums or similar methods), internally backup the current revision, mark internally that actual application of the update is in progress, attempt to and complete the revision's application. If successful then then to complete the entire process internally they would mark no update in progress. If a failure occurs during revision application then a reboot would check for the update-in-progress flag while running the bootup sequence from the bios code. If the update-in-progress flag is on then the bios would reapply the old backed-up revision or the new one, depending on how they chose to code this.

But again, only somebody at Toshiba knows for sure if they utilized a failsafe method OR they cut down on development and hedge their bets they only get a small percentage of failures.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

Although only somebody at Toshiba would know for sure, generally such updates are devised to be failsafe. If they're not then some software engineer at Toshiba would be a complete bonehead. The typical protocol for such an update is to download the entire content of the update, validate it (using checksums or similar methods), internally backup the current revision, mark internally that actual application of the update is in progress, attempt to and complete the revision's application. If successful then then to complete the entire process internally they would mark no update in progress. If a failure occurs during revision application then a reboot would check for the update-in-progress flag while running the bootup sequence from the bios code. If the update-in-progress flag is on then the bios would reapply the old backed-up revision or the new one, depending on how they chose to code this.

But again, only somebody at Toshiba knows for sure if they utilized a failsafe method OR they cut down on development and hedge their bets they only get a small percentage of failures.

this is certainly what i am hoping for

i wish i could 'remote' into the player froom the office to check status...and maybe even stream some content
Old 06-06-2006, 06:01 AM

I completed the update last night. It took about 30 minutes. Does anyone know what this adds or fixes?

Jay
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

I can confirm one case where the initial update failed and second attempt worked...but player worked even with failed update. So I am assuming some fail-safe mechnaism is built in....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I hope someone can check BTB & WTW before AND after the revision to verify if it is part of the update....

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hope someone can check BTB & WTW before AND after the revision to verify if it is part of the update....

Apparently for the majority HDMI is full range IRE capable with new F/W as confirmed by sspears and K. Deering. Some are still not able to see BTB due to some display related issues.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

....okay, I'm trying to update via ethernet (wireless bridge)but the "Updating 0pct" is flashing since 10 minuties ago and its just sitting there!!!

Anyone else updated the player successfully over ethernet??

EDIT: WOOWOOOOOOO After 10 minutes it's saying 10pct!!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:

...okay, I'm trying to update via ethernet (wireless bridge)but the "Updating 0pct" is flashing since 10 minuties ago and its just sitting there!!!

It's just SLOOOOOOOW. It'll move eventually. Mine is at 40% after 30 mins...

Cheers,
--Zig--
My DVD Collection
Old 06-06-2006, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My update could've taken up to an hour as I left the room after about 15 minutes..and returned 40 minutes later... It did take 15 minutes to get to 30%..

Did the black market update take this long?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sitll at 10pct after 25 minutes sigh
Old 06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

My update could've taken up to an hour as I left the room after about 15 minutes..and returned 40 minutes later... It did take 15 minutes to get to 30%..

Did the black market update take this long?

Nope 6 min!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can somebody explain step by step procedure on how to update firmware over ethernet for a novice like me. Once the connection is made does the player automatically search for updates or do you have to go to a specific site?
Thanks,

Vinod
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am internet illiterate as well...Follow the manual..it took 1 minute..Everything popped up as it was supposed to. Simply plug the player (ethernet) into the router and follow the steps. It recognized my broadband and did everything else automatically...

Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Too funny as I was getting sick of all the lockups now with COR and VH, so last night I said f it and installed the update that was uploaded by a nice fellow here on avs. NO MORE LOCKUPS NOW! It took about 5 minutes to apply. I was just getting soooo tired of the problems and after reading this post, I knew the update that was uploaded was legit anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

http://www.hdbeat.com/category/news/

Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD player firmware upgrade leaked
Posted Jun 2nd 2006 9:19PM by Richard Lawler

Early adopting Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD player owners may be in for a special treat this weekend, as a poster on AVSForums has obtained a copy of a firmware upgrade early and posted it for download. Rumors on the board indicate Toshiba may release the update for owners to via disc or download next week, but if you just can't wait, all you need is a CD-R and a copy of Nero and you should be in business.

So what does the update do other than flipping your firmware number over to 1.2? Early reports from posters yorkie2k and sspears indicate reduced load times, no freezing when searching/skipping around movies and fixes for HDMI connection problems. Although the update is labeled for the HD-XA1 premium player, users have not reported any problems with the HD-A1 after upgrading. As usual, applying as yet unofficial updates could void your warranty, brick your player or kick your cat, so proceed with caution. Fortunately, as an early adopter, we know you're used to throwing caution to the wind, so update your player and let us know how it goes. Increased performance and stability may just be what Toshiba needs to lure the cautious off the fence and into buying.

[Thanks for the tip WiFiSpy!]

I noticed after the update slightly increased load time and chapter skips. Maybe the update increased the buffer size? I also noticed the player takes longer to power off now, not much longer, maybe 4 or 5 seconds.

I tried Cinderella Man, Full Metal Jacket, Chronicles, Van Helsing, at the parts where they locked before and they seem to work fine now. I haven't tried Jarhead yet which caused me grief before. I am also going to watch some of the initial releases that didn't cause me any grief before like Serenity, Apollo 13, Doom, etc and hope that they still play okay.

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I jumped onto the 1.2 firmware posted in this forum and my A1 is passing BTB over HDMI now on my Panny AE700. I have checked this with my SD-DVD DVE. I can't see the outer blacker than black bar before but I can see it now.

If the update over the ethernet is the same one than it should be fine now.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

Yep. Its called checksum and they would be pretty stupid to launch a internet enabled update model without doing checksum or CRC for their files before the player attempting to upgrade. the number of dead players would be astronomical with such an insecure medium as the internet.

Jorge

P.S. By insecure I mean prone to failure by ISPs and circuits Etc. not security as in personal info security.

Audio Enthusiast, HD Videophile.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will this thing work with dial-up?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

I would order the CD. What in the world are you doing with Dial-up?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No on the dial-up.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 388
If you have dial up, I recommend downloading the disc image from the other threads, burning a CD and then upgrading that way. Alternatively, if your PC is next to the Toshiba, you can use your PC to act as a "bridge" and connect that way. You would be turning on Internet sharing under advanced setting for your dial up connection in the network connections folder. You would select the Ethernet device in the drop down there. Then dial up as normal and anything connected to the Ethernet port would think you have a permanent, broadband connection.

If I have lost you with above, then I highly recommend that you try the download route .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 AM

stupid Comcast, my modem has reset 2 times in the middle of this update so far. I guess it must be that 6/6/6 date.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 AM

Worked for me! I have WildBlue satellite internet, max 1.5 MBps DL. ( I live too far out in the boonies to get anything else but dial-up)

The Update took about 1/2 hour. The XA1 shut down after completion. I powered it up, went into Update and it showed the 1.2/1.09/2.0 firmware version. I checked all my settings - I thought I'd read in the DL the update thread that it blew out all personalized settings. Nope, everything was still there. I've had almost not problems with my XA1. But like my Windows XP Pro PC - almost no problems with it also, but if the official site says there's an update available, I update.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I am not getting BTB on my JVC D-ILA 52Z575 through HDMI. I am getting WTW the enhanced black setting on or off doesn't seem to do anything either. My set does pass BTB with my S97 through HDMI set to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 output.

User Tag List