HD DVD Player Rental (Dallas, TX) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Premiere Video, an independent video rental store in Dallas, TX, offers the rental of an HD DVD player for $10. I'm not sure which player it is (I suspect it is the A1) or how long the rental period is (I suspect two nights - the same period as their standard rentals). The owner explained to me tonight that he is doing it to raise interest in the "new formats" and "get people to try them out." Yes, he intends to do the same thing for Blu-ray when it is available. That's how I'll sample Blu-ray when it comes out.

They also have several HD DVDs to rent - most of the Warner offerings, Serenity, and maybe more (some could have been rented out) for $3.50/two nights rental. They didn't get Firewall in today as it was delayed by their distributor.

They're located at 5400 E. Mockingbird at Central Expressway.

SCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Very cool, thanks.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Great idea. And I just got a great flashback to the old giant VHS players in plastic briefcases. :)

Cory
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Premiere Video in Dallas still has the Toshiba HD-A1 player. The owner ran into freezing problems about the time he upgraded his player to Version 1.4 of the firmware which required him to send it back to Toshiba for repair. The turnaround was quick (about three days), and all is well again with the unit. It wasn't clear whether the problems with the player were brought on by the firmware upgrade or not, however. I know it has been rented out a few times by those curious about HD DVD -- usually the renter rents all of Premiere's discs at the same time, too. We had a discussion tonight about the durability of this particular 1G player and that it might not stand up to rental cycles even if handled carefully. The owner might choose to limit its rental in the future, but he is really supportive of HD DVD, even going so far as to ask what titles I'd like to rent that he should buy.

The owner also plans on setting up a sign at the checkout of the store to find out who has an HD DVD player (something like "Do you have HD DVD?"). He continues to keep the HD DVDs behind the counter. By the way, he hasn't bought the Samsung Blu-ray player nor any Blu-ray discs.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM

It's nice to have a local place rent HD-DVDs. I used to rent from Premiere often when I was living near SMU. It's quite a haul for me now, but I'd make the trip to rent a few discs to watch.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. I'm about to move to Dallas. I'll have to check this thing out.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page