RCA HDV5000 HD-DVD player firmware update?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, well I've tried looking for a topic on this and I wasn't able to find one, so I apoligize if there's already one, so if you see it, please just point me in that direction without too much hassle but most of the firmware threads seem to be talking about the toshiba.

Alright, so I purchased the RCA from Circuit City because they had a good deal on financing, and so far I love the thing, and haven't had any major problems, other than the sluggishness that is to be expected with a first-gen product. My question is whether or not anyone has been able to obtain the firmware update for the RCA HD-DVD player yet? or is there even a firmware update available for this player? It has the ethernet port, but i have dsl and as such can't get access to the internet to the player, at least not in any unobtrusive way, or a complex way that I don't really know (i'm not exactly tech savvy, but then again I'm not totally ignorant). So I plan on just downloading the updates from RCA over the internet or getting the updates in the mail, but i'd much rather get them online from RCA, because that way I can stay more up to date since they'll hopefully be posted more quickly online that if I wait for them to come in the mail.

I've ready where some who own the RCA are installing the Toshiba firmware update on their player and it is my understanding that the RCA is pretty much the same thing as the Toshiba (is exactly the same with a different exterior), but I'm just not sure if I want to do such a thing. I know it sounds lame, but I actually enjoy looking at the RCA HD-DVD logo whenever I boot up my player, but really I guess it's because i'm finally getting to put our HDTV to use for something other than my 360. So if anyone has heard about the updates from RCA I'd greatly appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction!!

Also, does the firmware update speed up the player a bit...as in the bootup time, and remote response time, or is it mainly a fix for possible hardware issues and unlocking extra enchanced software features?? Again I really don't know that much about things such as what the firmware update would do, so I was hoping you all might be able to let me know a little of what it does. i've noticed that when I use the HDMI output there is a blink in the picture, which I think is the tv trying to pickup the video signal from the player, that gets a bit annoying as the tv says there is "no sync. signal", but after a few seconds of a delay it shows the picture, and then there aren't any major problems that I can tell, especially with video playback. So basically I'm asking if anyone has found out if there is an official firmware update from RCA for their player, and if so does it help speed up the player a bit as far as boot up is concerned along with recognizing discs and playing them, as well as remote responses? I know that some of these issues are due to it being a first-gen player, and I'm willing to accept that it won't be really really fast, but then again, I was just wanting to know if it is even possible that the player can eventually, through various firmware updates, get up to a decent speed or will it always be fairly slow??? If it doesn't have the ability to speed up, I can deal with it, but like anyone I'm a bit impatient when I am really looking forward to something, like enjoying an HD movie.

(sorry for this lengthy post, but I think it's better to be thorough than have people wonder what I'm talking about)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I had one of those Toshiba players with the RCA firmware and I updated to version 1.3 that changes it back to a Toshiba player. While it was a RCA (in the firmware) I got an error message saying "connection to the server terminated" trying to let the player do the update. I believe that RCA has not setup their server yet to do the firmware update through the ethernet connection yet. This will change I am sure but it wasn't a week ago.

I would stick with the RCA firmware and call RCA about any update, and for help setting up the internet connection. You CAN do it with a DSL connection just as easy as a cable modem connection. Just get a cheap $40.00 router and setup the DSL modem to go into the router then out to your computer. Then run another line to the RCA unit from that router.

WIth a router you will have better security because of NAT built into all routers and the hardware firewall built into most routers.

Good luck!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
1) I don't know of anyone who successfully downloaded RCA firmware update.

2) RCA and Toshiba are the same machine.

3) RCA customer service is completely incompetent.

4) There is no firmware disc from RCA. You'll need to go "bootleg" on the firmware update.

5) Firmware version 1.2 does not change the RCA logo. Only special firmware version 1.3 does that.

6) Firmware will speed up remote response, but actually slows the boot-up slightly.

7) The loading noises and shade changes on the screen or panel are normal during loading.

8) Those that had freezing issues have noticed an improvement with the updated firmware.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help folks! I appreciate it!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:19 PM

You can download Toshiba Firmware (both v. 1.2, and 1.3) at:

http://www.1080x1920.net

Burn it to CD (as DIsK IMAGE), put CD in the Drive and Player will do the rest.

Kris
Old 06-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.berger View Post

You can download Toshiba Firmware (both v. 1.2, and 1.3) at:

http://www.1080x1920.net

Burn it to CD (as DIsK IMAGE), put CD in the Drive and Player will do the rest.

Kris

I am running windows XP home edition, is there special software I
need (Disk Image) to burn a CD with the latest software? I have a RCA HDV5000
with 1.0/1.09/2.00. The RCA customer support people have no clue when you ask about software upgrade for this machine. They sound like they all reside in India.

Thanks

ED
Old 06-30-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

I am running windows XP home edition, is there special software I
need (Disk Image) to burn a CD with the latest software? I have a RCA HDV5000
with 1.0/1.09/2.00. The RCA customer support people have no clue when you ask about software upgrade for this machine. They sound like they all reside in India.

Thanks

Steps to do this from scratch with windows (assuming you don't have Nero but do have a CD/DVD burner).

Go to http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html and download the 30 day trial version of Nero 7.
Install and restart your computer.

Go to http://www.1080x1920.net/index.php?o...gid=4&Itemid=5 and save to desktop.

Double click the icon for the saved file on your desktop and this should automatically open the Nero burner window. Then follow the steps below from earlier in the thread from emilsjr:

To create the disc (Nero 7.0.2):

- When the New Compliation window opens, click cancel
- Go to the Recorder pull down menu, and select Burn Image
- This will cause a Windows Open file box to open
- Navigate the downloaded file. Click it and then click open
- It will then give you a Burn Compliation disc. From here, you can change speed. I burned at 24x at worked fine, but on older drives, you will want to go slower. Usually 4x or 8x
- Click Burn
- It will ask for a blank CD. Insert and after like a minute, it will eject, ready to use.

You have to use a CD-R or CD-RW, a DVD-R/W won't work.

Insert the disc into the A1, highlight yes and press ok for update then wait. The screen will flash with percent complete data. Takes about 5 minutes. When finished, it will eject the disc automatically.

This fixes the BTB clipping issue over HDMI. It doesn't seem to change the LFE level in the analog ouputs. I really haven't had problems with lockups so can't comment on that.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just unboxed my RCA HD player this week and was able to update via the ethernet connection out of my wireless cable modem. Just make sure you have the following settings under the "Ethernet Menu/Internet Settings" (at least it woked for me) per page 44 of the manual:

DHCP = ON
DNS = ON

I was able to download the updates, and it took about 20-25 minutes or so. The display would indicate the % complete. My firmware changed as follows:

OLD = 1.0/1.09/2.0O
NEW = 1.4/1.09/2.0R

I did this two days ago on June 28th. I honestly haven't had time to watch more than 10 minutes of Serenity, but I like what I've seen so far!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Old 07-01-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious, is that through RCA's site or Toshiba's?
Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 AM

cpcat: Thanks for the detailed information. I sent you a PM.

ED
Old 07-05-2006, 06:34 AM

How has 1.4 been working so far?

Jmck
Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 AM

I just updated my RCA player to 1.4 yesterday. No problems at all. The only thing I noticed was that it sped up the player's boot time by about 10 seconds.

Xbox Live Gamertag: voodoogmr
PlayStation Network: voodoogmr
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
The RCA player has the rs232 serial port that the Tosh does NOT have so they aren't the exact same player...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
it is the same player....the tosh has RS232 it's just that the port isn't physically there

it is physically present on the tosh xa1
Old 06-14-2007, 08:03 PM

I just bought a RCA HD player model HDV5000 and it just won't run on my HDTV. So how can I go about downloading the firmway onto a CD? I cant get any kind of screen on my TV with it so I guess burning is the only way. RCA website won't let you burn a disc.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you try hitting the video out button or whatever it is called on the remote to change what video output it is using? If you hook it up via HDMI you'll need to do this as I believe component is the default. I don't have the remote for my HDV5000 at hand but I believe that is what the button is called.

That said I like my HDV5000, have had no troubles with it thus far and haven't updated the firmware though I've got a disk here to do so should I ever encounter a problem requiring it.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Additionally you may need to do this as well as set the 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i in the setup. The only reason I can think of this is I have an older Samsung HDTV which will not sync a 720p signal at all. Unless its converted by outboard device to 1080i it doesn't work just displays no signal, probably since it is a picture tube model and was designed to natively accept 1080i. I don't use that particular TV with my HDV5000 or A2 but I'm sure similar TVs are out there, and I ran into a similar setup with my HD box for cable. So long as it gets 1080i its a happy TV but anything else wouldn't work. Since this player is essentially the same as the A1 you're probably best off with the 1080i if I recall these players didn't scale well to 720p.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post

Additionally you may need to do this as well as set the 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i in the setup. The only reason I can think of this is I have an older Samsung HDTV which will not sync a 720p signal at all. Unless its converted by outboard device to 1080i it doesn't work just displays no signal, probably since it is a picture tube model and was designed to natively accept 1080i. I don't use that particular TV with my HDV5000 or A2 but I'm sure similar TVs are out there, and I ran into a similar setup with my HD box for cable. So long as it gets 1080i its a happy TV but anything else wouldn't work. Since this player is essentially the same as the A1 you're probably best off with the 1080i if I recall these players didn't scale well to 720p.

I finally got the disc from RCA and its playing HD-dvd's alright except that when there are close ups of someones face it sometimes shows little squares,mostly when the picture is dark colors like someone outside when its dark. Anyone having the problem? I set it on both 720p and 1080i and it still does it. I'm watching Batman begins and my TV is a LCD 37 inch Philips.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have two of these HDV5000s, one hooked up to my girlfriend's Insignia LCD and the other to my Sony 42 inch rear projection. Both using HDMI inputs and firmware 2.2 from Toshiba. I've experienced no picture problems, though I've had occasional playback issues with each (sometimes an HD will play properly in these and not my A2 and vice versa). I watched Batman Begins on my 32 inch LCD here on the A2 in the bedroom but don't recall any particular playback issues with it however it has been a while since I watched it.

Honestly the picture has been pretty good with the HDV5000s (none of the TVs I've used it with are 1080p).
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 720p downscaling problem from HD DVD was resolved with 2.0.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM

i just got this player. I've upgraded it from 1.0 rca to 2.0 rca via ethernet. Now i'm ready to move to 2.3 toshiba firmware. My question is should I use the A1 firmware or the AX1 firmware on the toshiba website for the RCA.

Magic

Easy Living :)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

The RCA player is a clone of A1; but it doesn't matter since A1 and XA1 use the same firmware.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I have two of these HDV5000s, one hooked up to my girlfriend's Insignia LCD and the other to my Sony 42 inch rear projection. Both using HDMI inputs and firmware 2.2 from Toshiba. I've experienced no picture problems, though I've had occasional playback issues with each (sometimes an HD will play properly in these and not my A2 and vice versa). I watched Batman Begins on my 32 inch LCD here on the A2 in the bedroom but don't recall any particular playback issues with it however it has been a while since I watched it.

Honestly the picture has been pretty good with the HDV5000s (none of the TVs I've used it with are 1080p).

I was watching Troy last night and hate to say it but in someways it looks better in 480p than 1080i. In 1080i it looks great when the movie is being shot in bright sunlight but darker parts of the movie is where it looks spotty. I do have the dark black mode on. Maybe I should turn that off. Perhaps I will try it on my next day off and see if it makes it anybetter. These things are not plug and play though.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

I don't use the black enhance in either player. That may or may not make the difference. If you feed a softer picture it is going to mask noticable flaws in the print. Especially if you downconvert a source that won't suffer from the macroblocking a DVD will. Some of it probably depends on the TV too. I've stated in the past on other forums that my Samsung 27 inch 4:3 HD set from several years ago produces such a good picture from a Laserdisc it often looks better than a DVD if the LD was well done. It isn't because the LD is better source than the DVD, it isn't because the player is better (I use one of the cheapest players I have with that TV), it is because the TV's comb filter and internal circuitry does such a good job with a composite signal. Take a decently done LD and it looks great, the Lion King looks so good it hasn't looked that good since I saw it in a theater, forget the DVD.

I remember watching Troy on my A2 but not on the HDV5000 and thought it looked pretty nice. I'm positive a lot of it has to do with how the set is calibrated as much as it does with the player used. I have movies that look great on the A2 using my flat panel, they don't look as good on the HDV5000 and flat panel, but look good on the HDV5000 on rear projection. Other movies will be the complete opposite. Some look great on all. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a peek at Troy on the HDV5000 on the 42 inch Sony and see how it looks compared to what I remember from the A2.

From my overall experience the only disadvantage this player has over the A2 is it is much slower and bulkier. I've had drastically fewer problems since I upgraded them to 2.2. One player has stuttered once in the middle of Last Samurai, the other locked up on Blood Diamond (though it worked after clearing the persistent storage, so I wonder if it has something to do with the added features). That however has been the extent of playability problems I've noticed since upgrading to 2.2, and I did test some known troublesome disks at spots I had problems with before.

I'd be curious to see how 2.3 plays out for this player.

Honestly I think the HDV5000 is closer to the XA1 than the A1 as it has the RS-232 port.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Just picked up an RCA HDV5000 from walmart on clearance for $110 with no remote. It seems I need a remote to do some stuff with the player but I can't get my Sony universal to work with the rca codes or searching function.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If there aren't any codes, is there anyone who lives close to Durham, NC that could let me borrow their remote for 15 minutes to teach my remote the functions?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUWingsFan View Post

Ok, well I've tried looking for a topic on this and I wasn't able to find one, so I apoligize if there's already one, so if you see it, please just point me in that direction without too much hassle but most of the firmware threads seem to be talking about the toshiba.

Alright, so I purchased the RCA from Circuit City because they had a good deal on financing, and so far I love the thing, and haven't had any major problems, other than the sluggishness that is to be expected with a first-gen product. My question is whether or not anyone has been able to obtain the firmware update for the RCA HD-DVD player yet? or is there even a firmware update available for this player? It has the ethernet port, but i have dsl and as such can't get access to the internet to the player, at least not in any unobtrusive way, or a complex way that I don't really know (i'm not exactly tech savvy, but then again I'm not totally ignorant). So I plan on just downloading the updates from RCA over the internet or getting the updates in the mail, but i'd much rather get them online from RCA, because that way I can stay more up to date since they'll hopefully be posted more quickly online that if I wait for them to come in the mail.

I've ready where some who own the RCA are installing the Toshiba firmware update on their player and it is my understanding that the RCA is pretty much the same thing as the Toshiba (is exactly the same with a different exterior), but I'm just not sure if I want to do such a thing. I know it sounds lame, but I actually enjoy looking at the RCA HD-DVD logo whenever I boot up my player, but really I guess it's because i'm finally getting to put our HDTV to use for something other than my 360. So if anyone has heard about the updates from RCA I'd greatly appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction!!

Also, does the firmware update speed up the player a bit...as in the bootup time, and remote response time, or is it mainly a fix for possible hardware issues and unlocking extra enchanced software features?? Again I really don't know that much about things such as what the firmware update would do, so I was hoping you all might be able to let me know a little of what it does. i've noticed that when I use the HDMI output there is a blink in the picture, which I think is the tv trying to pickup the video signal from the player, that gets a bit annoying as the tv says there is "no sync. signal", but after a few seconds of a delay it shows the picture, and then there aren't any major problems that I can tell, especially with video playback. So basically I'm asking if anyone has found out if there is an official firmware update from RCA for their player, and if so does it help speed up the player a bit as far as boot up is concerned along with recognizing discs and playing them, as well as remote responses? I know that some of these issues are due to it being a first-gen player, and I'm willing to accept that it won't be really really fast, but then again, I was just wanting to know if it is even possible that the player can eventually, through various firmware updates, get up to a decent speed or will it always be fairly slow??? If it doesn't have the ability to speed up, I can deal with it, but like anyone I'm a bit impatient when I am really looking forward to something, like enjoying an HD movie.

(sorry for this lengthy post, but I think it's better to be thorough than have people wonder what I'm talking about)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

I also have an RCA HDV5000 and I couldn't be happier. If you have a high speed internet connection you can download firmware upgrades via the ethernet port. Mine came with ver 1.0 and I've downloaded twice and I'm currently using firmware 2.0. It's not difficult and the only problem is the slow download as it seems the RCA server is not very fast.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatheatre View Post

Just picked up an RCA HDV5000 from walmart on clearance for $110 with no remote. It seems I need a remote to do some stuff with the player but I can't get my Sony universal to work with the rca codes or searching function.

If there aren't any codes, is there anyone who lives close to Durham, NC that could let me borrow their remote for 15 minutes to teach my remote the functions?

I will be in Durham at some point this week. I will be more than happy to throw one of my remotes in the car for you to learn from. PM me some contact info and I will be more than happy to help ya out. We have an office off Page Rd so that will be where I am going to be starting from but leaving there and heading to Charlotte. Not sure on the day yet but will more than likely be Wednesday or if Friday is better I will be heading back thru then.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatheatre View Post

Are you still looking for a remote? My HDV5000 hardware recentlydied , but you can have the remote for cost of post and packaging?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Steps to do this from scratch with windows (assuming you don't have Nero but do have a CD/DVD burner).

Go to http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html and download the 30 day trial version of Nero 7.
Install and restart your computer.

Go to http://www.1080x1920.net/index.php?o...gid=4&Itemid=5 and save to desktop.

Double click the icon for the saved file on your desktop and this should automatically open the Nero burner window. Then follow the steps below from earlier in the thread from emilsjr:

To create the disc (Nero 7.0.2):

- When the New Compliation window opens, click cancel
- Go to the Recorder pull down menu, and select Burn Image
- This will cause a Windows Open file box to open
- Navigate the downloaded file. Click it and then click open
- It will then give you a Burn Compliation disc. From here, you can change speed. I burned at 24x at worked fine, but on older drives, you will want to go slower. Usually 4x or 8x
- Click Burn
- It will ask for a blank CD. Insert and after like a minute, it will eject, ready to use.

You have to use a CD-R or CD-RW, a DVD-R/W won't work.

Insert the disc into the A1, highlight yes and press ok for update then wait. The screen will flash with percent complete data. Takes about 5 minutes. When finished, it will eject the disc automatically.

This fixes the BTB clipping issue over HDMI. It doesn't seem to change the LFE level in the analog ouputs. I really haven't had problems with lockups so can't comment on that.

I downloaded "cdburn.exe" a command line program that burns ISO reliably and for free.

CDBurn.exe from the XP Support Tools

You can use CDBurn.exe that is included in the Windows Server 2003 Support Tools at http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...57/rktools.exe

ISO CD-ROM Burner Tool (CDBurn) is a command-line tool that allows the user to write (burn) data images from image files located on the hard drive to compact disc (CD) recordable (CD-R) and CD rewritable (CD-RW) media. The data image can be any kind of data, even raw data. This tool can also be used to erase CD-RW media.

Example: Burn a CD From an Image File When a Drive Letter is Assigned to the CD Burner. Type the following at the command line:

cdburn.exe d: c:\\dotnet_usa_3678.IDS_x86fre_srv.iso

Press ENTER. Output similar to the following is displayed:

Number of blocks in ISO image is 3d1d6
| 25.6% done
/ 45.2% done
/ 55.3% done
- 68.9% done
\\ 89.3% done
- 100.0% done
Finished Writing
Synchronizing Cache: burn successful!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 PM