Are you having skipping or audio sync problems with your HD-A1? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having skipping and/or audio sync problems with your HD-A1?
Yes 148 38.14%
No 240 61.86%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As per a suggestion, I'm opening a poll.

Basically, if you are experiencing the annoying "skip" or "stutter" problem on your HD-A1, please let us all know.

Effectively:

You'll be watching a movie and all of a sudden, it seems to pause. Then, it resumes and briefly plays at a rate faster than 1x (looks like it's in fast forward). Then, it goes back to normal playback. Sometimes, after this happens, the audio and video are out of sync and require you to pause/unpause the film or move forward/back a chapter to restore synchronization.

If you ARE having this problem, please report what firmware version you are using, and if you are using HDMI vs. Component and if you are using the analog outputs vs. optical.

Finally, is this disc you were playing new or a rental (Netflix, etc) with some scratches?

A lot of people are reporting this problem with brand new disks and I'm curious to see:

1) How widespread it is.
2) Are there any common factors.

Please, no fanboyism. If it's happened to you, vote as such.

This problem is annoying a lot people and pretending the problem doesn't exist so HD-DVD doesn't look bad is just silliness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM

Liked: 12
xa1 - 1.4 FW - Have had 1 new disc lockup (Van Helsing) and 2 Netflix rentals (Syriana and Apollo 13). Had a few with original fw, none with 1.2 (only on about a week). Random places, nothing I can reproduce. Syriana locked to the point where the chapter skip, pause, play, etc on the remote wouldn't work. The "Menu" button worked and I was able to use the "Pause" option on the menu, then "Play" option on the menu. Thw other two, just a pause/play combo and went on.
post #3 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I voted no because I don't have ongoing problems. I have had a problem only with the Tomb Raider disc. It seemed to "get stuck" at 2 parts and after it got stuck and resumed, the audio was off. All was well after pausing and unpausing.

-Evangelo2
post #4 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've rented 10-12 different movies from Netflix, and only 2 or 3 have skipped. They all were very dirty; one had a HUGE greasy fingerprint on it! It worked fine after I wiped it off.
post #5 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

I've had a total of two skipping/freezeup problems with my unit. The first occurred the day I received it. It consistantly froze at the same place (launch sequence) in "Apollo 13". It was a Netflix disk and it looked beat. I immediately went to BB and purchased a new copy and all was well. At the time, the unit had FW version 1.0. Most certainly the disk.

No further problems at all after that.

Over a month later, I upgraded to 1.4. Since then, only one problem. The unit froze up completely on a SD DVD when I pressed the "Next Chapter" button. Had to power it down. It was one of my disks ... and, for the life of me, I can't now remember which one. But I do remember that it was an SD DVD ... and it was in very good shape.

Hank Brown

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #6 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Bad poll. People will need to specify if it has always skipped, or if it started after a FW upgrade.
J
post #7 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

Bad poll. People will need to specify if it has always skipped, or if it started after a FW upgrade.
J

Is this a public poll where we can see who voted? It doesn't make sense for people who do not own a Tosh to report skipping problems - right?
post #8 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure how to answer this. Bourne Supremacy would pause briefly every 2 minutes, and knock the audio out of sync, which was fixed by pausing. After it did this twice, I ejected the disc to check for flaws(none) re-inserted it, and it played fine all the way through.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #9 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Is this a public poll where we can see who voted? It doesn't make sense for people who do not own a Tosh to report skipping problems - right?

It doesn't appear to be a public poll; if it were you could click on the numbers for each vote, and the names would come up.

Hal
post #10 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

No problems/issues *knock on wood* with my Univeral/Warner Bros. HD-DVD's...I did have Audio Drop Outs with Paramount's Sleepy Hollow...!!!
post #11 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 PM

I voted "no" but I did get a lock up/freeze, once, with Goodfellas (from Netflix). The disc was pretty scratched up so I'm pretty sure it was that as I've watched 5 other HD-DVDs and haven't had any issues.

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
post #12 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

I had 1 2-3 second glitch on one of the 21 discs I own. I marked no anyway since I couldn't repeat it... most likely just some dust.
post #13 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 PM

I had some of these issues with Apollo 13 and with Bourne when I first got the player
but have not had them recently. They were both brand new. The audio would drop out and the movie would go into something like a "slow" fast forward. It recovered after roughly 10-20 seconds, sometimes less. I am running HDMI and have firmware 1.3.
post #14 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM

I am using 1.4 firmware and HDMI audio over coaxial cable, problems so far, all these discs were brand new right out of the wrappers no rentals.

Sky Captain - Stutter on last chapter audio goes out of sync
Aeon Flux - Stutter 3 times during movie had to pause each time to fix sync
Serenity - Stutter in first chapter audio fixed itself
The Italian Job - Played Fine
Training Day - Played Fine
Tomb Raider - Played Fine
Sleepy Hollow - Played Fine

I emailed tosh today they sent the following reply.

Dear Paul,

Thanks for writing!
I apologize for the inconvenience.

Try resetting your unit by unplugging it from the electrical outlet for at least three minutes. If you continue having difficulty, I recommend contacting our Customer Solutions Department at

1-800-631-3811. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time.

Please have your model and serial number available if you call.

Rick
Toshiba Customer Service
post #15 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 07:14 PM

I have the original version no up dates as of yet, through component with analog for audio. Tried twice with Van Helsing because I love this movie, but had to exchange it to hard to watch. I am on my second try with Tomb Raider because I love this movie also, but I think its going back as well because it freezes up the player shortly after the UPS delivery seen, and I have to reboot the player every time. I have tried every thing skip, pause and starting from a new chapter after this seen but the player just freezes up, this has almost got me to the point of trying to down load a new firmware version. I am still afraid to update because of new problems with 1.4, hopefully they will come up with a good version with out any glitches. When they finally do come up with a good one I will have my kid burn it on a dvd and I will update then. Most of my Netflix rentals do pretty well with very few drop outs or stutters in the picture, not surprising those are the ones I would never buy, just my luck. I really look forward to the new gen players with out computer chips because the picture is flawless when its able to play consistently through a movie. By the way my collection consists of CoR,PitchBlack,The Last Samuri,Good Fellos, Born Supremecy,Serenty,TrainingDay,and Doom. Only had a little bit of trouble with Pitch Black, the rest are perfect?
post #16 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

There is clearly a trend here - 35% of people having sync/stutter issues. Hopefully either Toshiba, or someone with their ear, is paying attention to this. Surely at this rate their people are aware, I would think.

Being aware and actually caring are two different things though. I don't have skipping or audio synch problems, but Toshiba certainly didn't care about the problem I've been having, and their supposed staff of "HD DVD experts", as they call them, know very little about their line of players. In fact, a tech support person at a small online business that I bought my receiver from knew more about Toshiba's HD DVD players than Toshiba themselves. I can't wait until we have more reliable companies releasing HD DVD players, as Toshiba clearly isn't cutting it. I know this is all new, but Toshiba could be doing a lot more in terms of quality control.
post #17 of 192 Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 PM

I have an HD-D1 running 1.4 firmware thru HDMI using the 5.1 analog for audio.
Brand new disc of Van Helsing had 3 audio dropouts and two skips causing lip sync problems.
I also bought U-571 and Enter the Dragon brand new-no problems so far after viewing each tittle twice.

I have rented 8 discs form Netflix. I had a few skips and lip sync problems but I attribute that to scratched and dirty rental discs.

I clean all my discs now regardless if they are new or rented. This has helped quite a bit.

I have not had to unplug this unit yet.
post #18 of 192 Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO View Post

I have the original version no up dates as of yet, through component with analog for audio. Tried twice with Van Helsing because I love this movie, but had to exchange it to hard to watch. I am on my second try with Tomb Raider because I love this movie also, but I think its going back as well because it freezes up the player shortly after the UPS delivery seen, and I have to reboot the player every time. I have tried every thing skip, pause and starting from a new chapter after this seen but the player just freezes up, this has almost got me to the point of trying to down load a new firmware version. I am still afraid to update because of new problems with 1.4, hopefully they will come up with a good version with out any glitches. When they finally do come up with a good one I will have my kid burn it on a dvd and I will update then. Most of my Netflix rentals do pretty well with very few drop outs or stutters in the picture, not surprising those are the ones I would never buy, just my luck. I really look forward to the new gen players with out computer chips because the picture is flawless when its able to play consistently through a movie. By the way my collection consists of CoR,PitchBlack,The Last Samuri,Good Fellos, Born Supremecy,Serenty,TrainingDay,and Doom. Only had a little bit of trouble with Pitch Black, the rest are perfect?

It sounds like you could use a FW update. I generally don't recomend them, but 1.2 was designed to fix some of the problems you have.
I had one skip once, but I don't have a problem with skipping. I also clean every HD disc before playing them. FWIW, just because a disc may be right out of the box, doesn't mean that it won't benefit from cleaning.
J
post #19 of 192 Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So far only on Friday Night Lights but lost audio/video sinc on Bourne Supremecy for the first time last evening.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #20 of 192 Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 AM

I had gone to 1.4 after watching my first movie on 1.3 After I made the change, I had lots of problems with HD-DVD discs from Netflicks. SD discs play fine. I changed back to 1.3. Apollo 13 skipped several times last night. I put serenity in and watched the first 5 minutes. Skipped a couple times. Thinking about sending the player in....
post #21 of 192 Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I am holding off on my vote until next week. Right now I don't know whether to blame the media, the player, or the combination of both. Regardless of the culprit, it is unsatisfactory to have any skipping. I have not experienced any with SD, and I don't expect it for HD. So far I have only experienced stuttering on two occassions, (PB and Rundown). One was new, but scratched because it was loose in the case, the other was a Netflix rental. I will be pumping 6 more HD movies through my player in the next week, and at that point I will vote with more confidence in my answer.
post #22 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've only noticed stuttering on Van Helsing (around Chap12-14) and no amount of cleaning removed it completely

Hd-xa1 with 1.2 firmware.

It's a shame so many have this problem cause the picture quality is out of this world.
post #23 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had my player for 3 days and watched three movies, so I'm not ready to vote yet, but I have experienced some stuttering so far. It happened early in Serenity, and in the cave scene in PB. I couldn't reproduce it in Serenity after going back to that section after watching the movie, and I didn't try with PB. I watched Jarhead, which was a slightly scratched rental, last night without any playback issues.
post #24 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
My brand new player which shipped with 1.4 and a July build date has skipped on two occassions both times it was playing brand new discs.

Interestingly enough the skips only occurred when I was doing chapter changes or after FF/RW operations on the disc.

This makes me highly suspicious that the skipping could be related to a buffering problem in the player when dealing with HD content. This could also explain why the problems don't affect SD discs.

Either that, or the blue wavelength optical pickups have issues (please say it ain't so).

All of the movies I have dropped in and played straight through (COR, Pitch Black, etc) have worked perfectly. I do now keep a can of compressed air handy to clean any tiny debris off of my discs before putting them in the unit.

Hopefully Toshiba can improve error correction and buffering problems in the next FW release.
post #25 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

My XA1 experienced a freeze at 1:05:00 (approx.) on Phantom Of The Opera. Right when that guy drops on a rope from above the stage. First problem I've seen. It continued on after about a second.

Backed it up to 1:04:00 and replayed the section just fine the second time.

It does this here and there throughout this movie. The other two I've played I had no problems with: Blazing Saddles, Dukes Of Hazzard

I've still got the original firmware.
post #26 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I've played about a dozen titles so far and the only non-dust/scratch (2) skip has been from the Serenity disk (Block Buster) about 10 minutes into the movie, it skipped for about 1.5 seconds, then I saw the FFw'd and back to normal. I immediately rewound and played the scene again, and it didn't skip. So seemed to be a HW/SW issue. But when I played it again to watch with the wife last night I didn't see any skipping, although we only made it about 1 hr into the movie before we went to bed.
I think it's could be a data processing issue. But seeing it's pretty rare occurance, I am not too upset. I also think it could be fixed with a SW update, at least that's my hope.

Oh yeah, don't temporarily put your player on your subwoofer, duh, like I did playing U571
post #27 of 192 Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I voted no because I've only seen one pause (watching SD version of V) but it did not cause an out of sync issue and I could not recreate it (I tried).
post #28 of 192 Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Never had any stutter/sync issues until firmware 1.4 and have had a few small ones since .

--------- Jason
post #29 of 192 Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I randomly keep getting audio-sync drops. Pausing the movie for a few seconds and starting again resolves the problem.

Another weird problem I have with SD discs is that the audio level fluctuates over time, almost like a radio receiving variable signal strength..

Case in point - I just watched Ultraviolet SD DVD this afternoon, and the audio was inconsistent. I played Swordfish HD-DVD afterwards, and there were no problems wiht audio levels - which was the case with all my HD discs so far. Weird.
post #30 of 192 Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 PM

Just an update: I've now watched around 8-10 HD-DVDs and have not had any issues whatsoever (firmware 1.2) other than the freezing with Goodfellas; which was scratched (as mentioned in my earlier post).

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page