Toshiba Squashes Second-Gen HD DVD Player Rumors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
High-def Digest reads:

"Toshiba VP of marketing Jodi Sally told Video Business today that any reports of a second-generation player in 2006 are untrue.

"We have not yet announced any new models, and we are continuing to ship significant quantities of both of our HD DVD models to retailers monthly,†Sally said. "To date, we are very pleased with the progress and sales results."

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...yer_Rumors/153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Repost.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 11:40 AM

Told you. Did you think Toshiba wants to have angry customers after buying a brand new machine.
post #4 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD rules
Told you. Did you think Toshiba wants to have angry customers after buying a brand new machine.
Of course not! Who do you think they are Sony? :D
post #5 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I would consider Toshiba's current design (HD-XA1/A1/D1) to be Top Quality. Toshiba is just saying that Toshiba isn't introducing a 2nd-Gen this year. Therefore, it leaves a question what other manufacture will be introducing a player this year. ;)

JMHO, I wouldn't doubt if Toshiba already designed a lower-end model for other manufactures to produce a less expensive player for the holiday season; I know it's speculation, so BD fans don't Freak-Out! :D

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #6 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No surprise.

Isn't a generation usually about a year in the world of consumer electronics anyways?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM

not in the AVS forums. A new generation, on this forum, is every 4 months.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913
Toshiba is just saying that Toshiba isn't introducing a 2nd-Gen this year. ;)

JMHO, I wouldn't doubt if Toshiba already designed a lower-end model for other manufactures to produce a less expensive player for the holiday season; I know it's speculation, so BD fans don't Freak-Out! :D

...Angelo
Actually, the spokesperson quote doesn't deny (or admit) anything at all. It's the editorial remark (non-Toshiba) that does the denying.

-- Trevor
post #9 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Almost no competent marketing professional would ever state anything that would detract from current sales.

Notice the precision of the phrase "we have not yet announced any new models".

It doesn't state the development state or availabilty of any future models, it implies that there will not be any newer models available soon, but doesn't exclude that possibility.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sticking with Robert on this one, hunch. Not saying you have to but he's a large distributor for them and has been quite upstanding to many people here. He laid down a fairly detailed map of what will happen shortly.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

From consumer POV, 2G does not bring us anything (except possibly 1080p). 2G is good for Toshiba to cut manufacturing cost. Ofcourse, if they sell 2G for lower cost, thats a different thing.

The way I look at it - HD-A1 is a fantastic value for a new format. It will probably remain very current and one of the best players for sometime to come - if Toshiba keeps supporting it with firmware upgrades. Even if 2G is available, some of us may want to buy 1G.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty
Almost no competent marketing professional would ever state anything that would detract from current sales.

Notice the precision of the phrase "we have not yet announced any new models".

It doesn't state the development state or availabilty of any future models, it implies that there will not be any newer models available soon, but doesn't exclude that possibility.
My point EXACTLY!

-- Trevor :)
post #13 of 29 Old 08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
From consumer POV, 2G does not bring us anything (except possibly 1080p). 2G is good for Toshiba to cut manufacturing cost. Ofcourse, if they sell 2G for lower cost, thats a different thing.

The way I look at it - HD-A1 is a fantastic value for a new format. It will probably remain very current and one of the best players for sometime to come - if Toshiba keeps supporting it with firmware upgrades. Even if 2G is available, some of us may want to buy 1G.
Outside of adding True_HD 5.1 there may well be no added features, but it should definitely bring something to the table -- the ability to support volume sales. From the retail perspective, that's the most critical thing that's currently missing.

When it's possible to actually start selling the player (as in SELLING!!!), then it's time to have those North American Marketing dollars doing their job. The way I see it, right now, G2 is critical path.

-- Trevor

PS. I agree, the G1 machines are probably very much worth owning.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 03:17 PM

THe article clearly says "No new player annocements THIS YEAR"
post #15 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
THe article clearly says "No new player annocements THIS YEAR"
The ARTICLE says that. Toshiba DIDN'T say that.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #16 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS
Outside of adding True_HD 5.1 there may well be no added features, but it should definitely bring something to the table -- the ability to support volume sales. From the retail perspective, that's the most critical thing that's currently missing.
Right. But nothing from the micro perspective of a consumer (though, from the larger perspective, larger volumes should bring in more movies & studio support benefitting individual consumers).
post #17 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what she really said:

“We have not yet announced any new models, and we are continuing to ship significant quantities of both of our HD DVD models to retailers monthly,†she said via e-mail. “To date, we are very pleased with the progress and sales results.â€

Not yet announced, does NOT equal no plans.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM

I do not know if anybody realized but it is august already. Only four months left this year. Toshiba hasn't even sold enough of the first gen to start a new high end player, which they would show off to a consumer electronic show.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 04:57 PM

"Jodi Sally, exectutive Vice President of TOshiba states any reports of second generation players in 2006 are untrue."Read the whole article. I know it can be hard but it makes your mind stronger. If a website states something that is not true, they can get in trouble. For example, if I say the new xbox360 will not be announced, the article, the internet site editor can not say no xbox 360 in 2006. I can get that site or company in trouble for not stating my position the way I meant it.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
anyone know what the sales figures are for the Toshiba and RCA players?

ROB
post #21 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Read the whole article. I know it can be hard but it makes your mind stronger.
Dude, grow up. We're all on the same side here. Man, I've had about enough of these comments from BOTH sides.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #22 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 05:11 AM

Don't get so defensive. I must be telling the truth.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
No need for personal attacks.

This particular topic could be viewed as either a positive or negative (probably minimal impact) for HD DVD. Good news for buyers of 1st gen units, not so good for fence sitters that are waiting for better or 2nd gen hardware (not that 2nd gen will necessarily be "better") before jumping on board.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
No need for personal attacks.

This particular topic could be viewed as either a positive or negative (probably minimal impact) for HD DVD. Good news for buyers of 1st gen units, not so good for fence sitters that are waiting for better or 2nd gen hardware (not that 2nd gen will necessarily be "better") before jumping on board.
Man, this fence is starting to hurt my damn ass!

The truth is, I have a soon-to-be four-year-old 65" Toshiba RP unit with DVI inputs and it is connected up to DirecTV. I guess I'm worried about connectivity problems. :(

Anyone got any reassuring words for my situation? :o Like do I need a splitter, or can I hookup the DTV via component and still have my sat. HD look okay?

That Amazon price is winking at me, damn it!
post #25 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave

The truth is, I have a soon-to-be four-year-old 65" Toshiba RP unit with DVI inputs and it is connected up to DirecTV. I guess I'm worried about connectivity problems. :(

Anyone got any reassuring words for my situation? :o Like do I need a splitter, or can I hookup the DTV via component and still have my sat. HD look okay?

Get an HDMI-->DVI cable or an HDMI-DVI adapter and you should have no problems feeding the A1 to your Toshiba. I have a 5 year old Hitachi 51SWX20B and it is working fine via the DVI input (my TV does advertise as being HDCP compliant but that shouldn't matter).

Hook up your satellite box via component on another input.

When I initially hooked everything up I couldn't get video on the TV from the A1. I re-connected cables and restarted the hardware and everything has worked perfectly since, even after numerous power cycles on all the equipment.

Don't delay, HD-DVD rules!!

:cool:
post #26 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

This may be "good" news for those of us who own G1 players, but it's decidely bad news for the format. I have doubts that they'll ever be able to produce the computer-based ones in any quantity (and it may be too expensive to do so), plus the slow operation of the G1 models will have a major impact on wider adoption beyond us crazy early-adopter types. So...there may be minimal sales this holiday season (which from a shopping point of view starts in two months).

Also, I despite ferverant wishings on this forum, I have severe doubts as to whether a G2 machine could be sold for less than the A1. They will have to design and acquire new chips for it, and that is expensive. I'll be very impressed if they get a G2 machine out for $500 in the next six months.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave

From one of the most notorious fence sitters to another fence sitter: Make it happen.

You could certainly blow $500 a lot worse, imo.

Examples:

1.) How fast can any of us rack up $500 in SD DVD's?

2.) HD-lite from cable or satellite? Why bother?

3.) Going to the movie theater? LOL, do I even have to explain that?

Money adds up pretty quick on those three variables. ;)

Just make sure you buy it from a store that has a fair return and exchange policy, like a Walmart or especially a Costco. At that rate, you REALLY have nothing to lose.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If, in fact, Toshiba can't ship product in quanitity for this holiday season then they will be in big, big trouble and might lose the format war before the end of the year.

Fortunately Toshiba probably realizes this and is taking steps to make sure it won't happen.

The only component we know is in limited supply on the A1 is the CPU. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that Toshiba is going to do an incremental upgrade to the unit which might not even donate a model number change. This new unit could have a new CPU, possibly new 1080p output and nothing else different beyond manufacturing it in cheaper Taiwain or China.

They would still sell a boat load this holiday season.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
"Jodi Sally, exectutive Vice President of TOshiba states any reports of second generation players in 2006 are untrue."Read the whole article. I know it can be hard but it makes your mind stronger. If a website states something that is not true, they can get in trouble. For example, if I say the new xbox360 will not be announced, the article, the internet site editor can not say no xbox 360 in 2006. I can get that site or company in trouble for not stating my position the way I meant it.
All she is saying is (since Toshiba has not officially announced anything) "any reports of second generation players in 2006 are untrue." It doesn't say "there will be no new players released in 2006. I own the HD-XA1 and love it. I'm sure any new players will be less like a computer and more like a movie player. This will include some benefits and possibly some negatives depending on your application. Either way, I will evaluate the new models and decide whether to purchase another unit based on applicable features.

Don

Soon Only Not Yet.
Promises, Promises...... BD will be better, some day
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page