post #361 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

My display only has DVI and component inputs. Will the new players work properly with a HDMI-DVI cable or converter?

Also, how does the A1 do with DVI? Sorry if that's a bit off topic, but there are so many topics in this forum that I wasn't sure where to ask. Will one of the current firmwares make the A1 work properly with DVI without creating other problems? Feel free to link me to a thread or post if needed. Thanks.

My A1 works great with an HDMI-->DVI cable, the only issue is that the black levels are slightly "crushed" so that you don't get true blacker than black signal with this connection.

The picture however looks great nonetheless.

I don't see any reason that the A2/X2 wouldn't work with HDMI-->DVI hookups as being compatible with DVI is part of the HDMI specification.

If your set does not support HDCP through the DVI input then you WILL have problems with upconversion of future HD titles IF they start enforcing the copy protection through the HDMI hookup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Robert...
Sorry to ask the same question again, but does the HD-A2 have a pair of good old fashoned 2 channel stereo analog audio output jacks like the A1?
I need to run them into the TV's 2 channel stereo RCA audio input jacks (using the TV's built in 5W+5W internal amp) to power my bookshelf speakers.
Thanks very much..... Rob

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #363 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Toshiba engineers claim you will see a difference with the XA2's 12 bit processor on SD and HD. For example five time more shades of grey.

-Robert

I dont quite understand why there should be a difference on HD discs, I mean doesnt the player essentially dump the disc, what pocessing is there to do other than setting up the data in the correct protocal to be sent over HDMI.

The 12-bit processor is for the DAC, thus only comes into play when Using component, so us HDMI users should not care....?

Kinda worries ya.

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #364 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop View Post

I dont quite understand why there should be a difference on HD discs, I mean doesnt the player essentially dump the disc, what pocessing is there to do other than setting up the data in the correct protocal to be sent over HDMI.

Kinda worries ya.

You are correct, the DAC should not make any difference in HDMI.

ÂMusic is the arithmetic of sounds as optics is the geometry of light. --Claude Debussy
post #365 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just found out about the 2 new players, so by the time I found this thread it had become to huge to read. This may seem like a simple and dumb question but will the XA2 be able to send a 5.1 DD or DTS signal via optical or coax to a receiver. I see all the talk about Dolby True HD decompressed and all. I have no desire to buy and wire up to more speakers to have a 7.1 setup. I was reading about NHK's work on Ultra HD (roughly 7k by 4k resolution) and their 22.2 (yes 24 speakers) channel setup. I'm trying to wonder how much more real can it sound with so many speakers in the room. Right now, my home setup sounds just like the movie theatres.
post #366 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
There shouldn't be any problems with any player, regardless of generation, and a typical 5.1 signal--DD or DTS. (I think this is where someone mentions the 'A1's DTS output quirk, but I can't remember exactly what it is right now.)

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #367 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop View Post

The 297 Mhz DAC is for component video where it can make a difference with now being 12 bits going into a hi end component input display.

The new HDMI 1.3 supports deep color which allows more than 8 bits for video info (in a simplistic sense). This seems to be a good fit for needing same extra video processing that is used to feed the 12 bit DAC. I gather that it can take a 8 bit source and interpolate, etc. for better resulting video. I'm sure Stacey Spears or Ben Waggoner can explain this better than me. But you need a Deep Color capable HDMI 1.3 display to take advantage of this (hmm the new matching 12 bit video processing Toshiba Regza 1080p LCDs or do they have HDMI 1.3? If not then component needed to take full advantage of 12 bit?).

Bob
post #368 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Robert...
Sorry to ask the same question again, but does the HD-A2 have a pair of good old fashoned 2 channel stereo analog audio output jacks like the A1?
I need to run them into the TV's 2 channel stereo RCA audio input jacks (using the TV's built in 5W+5W internal amp) to power my bookshelf speakers.
Thanks very much..... Rob

Sorry I did not answer before. Yes, the A2 and XA2 have red and white RCA stereo audio outputs.

-Robert
post #369 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

The 297 Mhz DAC is for component video where it can make a difference with now being 12 bits going into a hi end component input display.

The new HDMI 1.3 supports deep color which allows more than 8 bits for video info (in a simplistic sense). This seems to be a good fit for needing same extra video processing that is used to feed the 12 bit DAC. I gather that it can take a 8 bit source and interpolate, etc. for better resulting video. I'm sure Stacey Spears or Ben Waggoner can explain this better than me. But you need a Deep Color capable HDMI 1.3 display to take advantage of this (hmm the new matching Toshiba Regza 1080p LCDs).

Bob

I would agree. The CEDIA demo looks amazing.

-Robert
post #370 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Sorry I did not answer before. Yes, the A2 and XA2 have red and white RCA stereo audio outputs.

-Robert

Thank you very much
Your special offer on the A1 is very very tempting...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #371 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
woah, I was going to pull the plug once they got True-HD through component, but this throws a wrench in the plans...

1) Will component HD through these players (with the more powerful DAC) actually be preferable to a (crushed) HDMI-DVI signal into my CRT RPTV?

2) It's official that there's no 5.1 analogue output from the A2, meaning if I have a non-HDMI AVR (and I do) then there's no other option but to get the A1 before it's gone or the X model (ie., there's no magical HDMI>7.1 analogue device out there for cheap, huh?)

3) Despite the mention of the fancy front panel, is there even a smidgen of a rumble of a hint that Toshiba's ever going to support (existing) DVD-Audio discs with these players? That would honestly make the decision so much easier as I could then justify it alone in being the key player for my 50+ DVD-A discs...

Anyone have an in at Toshiba to ask about this last point?

post #372 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
VE web special for the A1 is killing me I am debating wheather to get the A1 or wait for the A2 someone please give me advice.

Rob
post #373 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Hmm, I'm a bit disapointed. After seeing the XA1 in person, I think it's really VERY attractive, if a bit larger than I prefer. Functionally, my biggest hold backs on the 1st gen are the reports of load times and remote responsiveness.

Aesthetically, all of my HT equipment is silver. The Denon AVR's I'm eyeballing (4306 and 3806), I'm planning on paying the premium for silver. These new Toshibas are going backwards in the looks department, but Toshiba looks like they've solved the functionality issues...

The load times for the A1 are negligible for me (if you don't want to wait a minute or so the player may not be for you.) Remote has never been an issue. I used it once to set up the player and then uploaded the codes to my Harmony remote. This is again a non-issue for me. I have it connected to a Denon 3806 (black) via HDMI with no issues.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #374 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

robert i know your at the show and so is ultimate av web site and they claim the a2 will have 5.1 analog jacks but will lack hdml 1.3and 1080p. you said you saw a prototype not the production run a2.is it possible the prototype lacks 5.1 jacks but the production will have them. it would make more sense to have them and a step backwards if they didnt
post #375 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDeff View Post

Look closer at these two photos.:

Toshiba XA2
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3976/hdxa2bb6.jpg

Toshiba A2
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3835/hda2pi6.jpg

I see HDDVD-A and SACD on both of these... are they capable of playing DVD-Audio and SACD? - Thanks.
post #376 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

well guys if you go to ultimate av website they say the a2 will have 5.1 analog jacks and they are at the show to. i would say there report is in error but im now confussed help!
post #377 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

well guys if you go to ultimate av website they say the a2 will have 5.1 analog jacks and they are at the show to. i would say there report is in error but im now confussed help!

I went to the site where did you see that the A2 will have 5.1 out

Rob
post #378 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

robert i know your at the show and so is ultimate av web site and they claim the a2 will have 5.1 analog jacks but will lack hdml 1.3and 1080p. you said you saw a prototype not the production run a2.is it possible the prototype lacks 5.1 jacks but the production will have them. it would make more sense to have them and a step backwards if they didnt

I am 100% sure the HD-A2will not have 5.1 analog outputs.

-Robert
post #379 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

So if I understand this right, Toshiba is going to offer a new model at the same price as the A1, that does less, and The 1000 dollar version will offer HDMI 1.3 that currently no receivers or processors offer, and 1080P. How is this going to help Toshiba sell more players. I had hoped that I would be able to buy a G2 player and hopefully get better luck, than I had with the A1 that I briefly owned. Looks like I will be waiting for a G3 model. I could have understood the A2 at even a $400 MSRP, but at the same as the A1 I'll pass. At least this will give me more time to save for a 1080P projector.
post #380 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

So if I understand this right, Toshiba is going to offer a new model at the same price as the A1, that does less, and The 1000 dollar version will offer HDMI 1.3 that currently no receivers or processors offer, and 1080P. How is this going to help Toshiba sell more players. I had hoped that I would be able to buy a G2 player and hopefully get better luck, than I had with the A1 that I briefly owned. Looks like I will be waiting for a G3 model. I could have understood the A2 at even a $400 MSRP, but at the same as the A1 I'll pass. At least this will give me more time to save for a 1080P projector.

What bothers me more is the total lack of other HD DVD players from another CE other than Toshiba. I really thought we would see at least one other non Toshiba player at this show,
post #381 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

What bothers me more is the total lack of other HD DVD players from another CE other than Toshiba. I really thought we would see at least one other non Toshiba player at this show,

I agree, but understand that Toshiba's two players offer more than Blu-ray's product line up as they have a terrific sub-$500 player and a high end sub-$1000 player.

As I understand Blue-ray has;

Philips Blu-ray player is made by Samsung and they have only one model at about $1000.

Panasonic has one model for $1300.

Pioneer is making Sony's player and also has only one model for about $1500. and both are delayed.

I expect we will see another HD DVD player from Lite-on and maybe even a another surprise HD DVD player by Q4.

-Robert
post #382 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

I don't agree. Toshiba made the HD-A2 with faster load time and at 1/2 the price of the lowest price Blu-ray player. And we all know how the double priced Blu-ray player stacks up against Toshiba's product.

And why criticize Toshiba for building in advanced technology into their flagship model? Like 1080p and the 12 bit video processor and HDMI 1.3. What would you want or expect Toshiba to offer instead?

Why not enjoy the stunning pq and audio available at a very affordable price now. Life is to short and too long not to enjoy the True Full HD experience so many of your fellow forum members have so overwhelmingly posted their delightful experience with.

I know the load time is slow and the G2 player, which is faster, is priced at $499, but if you enjoy HDTV and have a nice HD display you certainly need more HD content.

CE technology will always get better and cost less as the technology matures, but we are all HD enthusiasts and love the HD experience. Sure we can wait, but how long should we wait while we miss the pleasure of enjoying stunning HD in our home systems?

-Robert
post #383 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 PM

I'd really love to see a link to the new remotes. The remote for my A1 is my largest complaint. I can live with the slow load times but not the remote. I may go for an XA2 just for the remote and the improved upscaling.
post #384 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Found some new information that says that the new three-layered disks will indeed play on both current DVD players and HD-DVD players.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head
post #385 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I would agree. The CEDIA demo looks amazing.

-Robert

Thank you so much, Robert, for the ongoing info! I'm sold on the XA2 and just placed my order for it. This will be my third HD DVD player purchased from your company so it now looks like one of my "old" HD-A1 models will be going to the master bedroom before the end of this year! If anyone is on the fence, stop procrastinating and get in touch with Robert and Value Electronics!
post #386 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

Thanks for your permission.

Mike

I never gave you permission. You're on your own.

-- Trevor
post #387 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

That's pretty much what I thought, but apparently TrevorS is the expert here, so who are we to disagree. I've only been in the electronics business for 23 years and don't know a thing.

Mike K.

Hey, smartypants -- you asked about the player putting out DTS core via HDMI and about the receiver having to understand Tru-HD. You received the appropriate responses. You want to find out the details on what an individual receiver can or can't do -- read the manual, that's what the rest of us have to do.

I obviously shouldn't have bothered to point out your original error -- my mistake. Have fun.

-- Trevor
post #388 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a owners manual or specc sheet for the HD-XA2 out yet?
post #389 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As of today at CEDIA Panasonic is quoting availability beginning of October in very limited quantity.

-Robert

It figures. Panasonic is a participant in the sport of Dumpster Diving for Blue Laser Diodes
post #390 of 4928 Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

So it would seem.

I just find it a rather odd differentiator. It eould be one thing if it were adding capability that required more processing (like an additional faoroujda chip to upscale, or anoter DSP to decode additional audio formats, etc...), but in this case they could actually eliminate some logic gates by passing the stream untouched.

But since when has product feature marketing ever made sense??

I guess I'll just say that I am NOT enthusiastic about the prospect of an xtra $500 for this.

I may deal with judder until the 4th gen machines come out.

I think marketing pretty much takes a list of feature options and decides which ones belong at what level based on their analysis of the market (and perhaps a touch of competitive positioning). Then we consumers get to decide how much we'll be stuck with paying for what capability -- and complain accordingly .

-- Trevor
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page