post #451 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

Oshidi,

I have no problem being in the testing phase for the A1 player. In my estimation I have certainly received the benefits of HD DVD for my initial $450 investment. As I have posted before I have only had about 3 lipsync issues and 1 total freeze in the four months I have owned the player. Great video/audio. I maybe in the minority but I think the upconvert is better than my Denon 3910.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am by no means saying that the first generation players are not stellar products. I was merely devulging the strategy revealed to me as concerns the A2 & AX2 releases. I bought the A1 anyway because I was told that it was a one-in-a-kind product. I of course am buying the AX2 later this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshodi View Post

Please do not misunderstand me. I am by no means saying that the first generation players are not stellar products. I was merely devulging the strategy revealed to me as concerns the A2 & AX2 releases. I bought the A1 anyway because I was told that it was a one-in-a-kind product. I of course am buying the AX2 later this year.

No misunderstanding on my part. I think Tosh did a great job on G1, very satisfied as a matter of fact. Best $450 I spent on a A/V product in a long time.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #453 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant7311 View Post

Well its not Pluto anymore.

oshodi sounds legit and he does have some inside information with people (relatives) who are involved. He is baiting us (maybe to keep our hopes up) but not to show off, but to keep up our spirits up that Toshiba and MS are rallying to put more pressure on Sony and Blu-ray. He also has posted a lot about HD DVD and Blu-Ray (mainly negative), but I believe he is a cheer leader and a good one for the HD DVD side.

These are merely BR faithfuls attacking me in hopes that they would force me into revealing confidential info in order to justify myself.

But if my sources were false, how did I know the SALES PRICE of the US HD-XA2 before it was even released in the press???

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=718912
post #454 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Oshodi, Please keep the info coming. I am the proud owner of a XA1 and I love it. But of course I want to keep abreast of new developments.
Keep doing the great job in giving us insider info.

Hal
post #455 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

lol, I can't wait to see what spews forth next

I only hope Sony does not drop the MAP of their player to $799, that would hurt.
I really think Toshiba could seriously Damage Sony with a 1080P/12bit player at $799, even without 5.1 analouges, serial, coaxial, lighted remote.
Oh wait the price may change between now and Dec.
post #456 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 View Post

I only hope Sony does not drop the MAP of their player to $799, that would hurt.
I really think Toshiba could seriously Damage Sony with a 1080P/12bit player at $799, even without 5.1 analouges, serial, coaxial, lighted remote.

As Cpanther95 pointed out earlier, there's room for other HD-DVD players from other CEs in the current line-up. If hints from other sources (including Oshodi) have merit, then we might see one or two other slots filled by Christmas.

According to BR land, the PS3 will cover the low ground and according to supporters, it will do pretty much everything, so there may be little reason for Sony to depress their price (especially if they are significantly subsidizing the $600 PS3). Course, maybe Sony will twist Samsung's arm into depressing theirs .

Seems like the opportunities for speculation go unabated.

-- Trevor

PS. I second the opinion that Oshodi's a decent fellow and although clearly an HD-DVD cheerleader, it's just enthusiasm. He obviously hates having to sit on his hands when in posession of information as much as the next guy, but he genuinely has no choice but to withhold it. (And I agree with the "baiting" bit .)

PPS. What he said on the previous page is near enough the same as a few of us had previously concluded, that there is no reason at all to disbelieve any of it. Besides, hard to seriously disagree with something that makes complete sense, and matches both observation and deducted expectation.
post #457 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshodi View Post

I'm currently liking my 1.0 RCA so much (no misbehaviors in ages), I'm becoming tempted to buy a second. And I DEFINITELY don't NEED a second .

-- Trevor
post #458 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM

A few pages ago (man this thing is growing fast) folks were saying that the DAC has no use for those using HDMI, and therefore the AX2s more advanced DAC was of no real benefit unless you use Component. I do not believe that this is true. While I am not an insider my understanding is that the DAC does the conversion from the compressed video formats that are stored on the HD DVD (MPEG-2, VC-1, AVC) and renders each frame in an uncompressed format that is then transferred via HDMI (your display device having now way to do this decompression). So i think that the increased bit depth of the AX2 will be of benefit for everyone. I realize that DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter, but I believe that it is more than that, and the term is just used conveniently.

Perhaps an insider could chime in?

Steve
post #459 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

The remote really doesn't matter (IMHO). Even if the new remote is 10X better - it still won't equal a harmony or Theater Master. Both light up in the dark beautifully. I used the new HD-A1 remote for a total time of only 30 minutes. Just long enough for my Theater Master to learn it's commands. I bought the Theater Master off of e-bay for $24.95. Works fantatstic - no more response problems or the need to push a button twive. Trust me on this.

For me the remote matters a ton. I've never been able to justify spending money on a Universal remote in any way shape or form. I've done full research on Pronto's/Marantz (also looked at Crestron's etc.). I just haven't needed one and still wouldn't need one if the Toshiba remote was worth a damn. It is by far the worst remote I can remember owning/operating. It's a joke. I may be forced into buying something I haven't decided on yet. That isn't cool with me.

I shouldn't have to go spend $40-$1000 extra on a remote unless I WANT to. I may choose to at some point, I've recently reshopped remotes to get more up to date on where these things stand as I was being driven crazy by the Toshiba. It's still the worst part of an awesome machine. I for one would like to see a picture of the new remote and hear that it performed. If you read reviews of HT gear you're always told how the remote functions and how ergonomically designed it is... even though a majority of people probably have a universal of some sort.

I've gotten by until now. I'm hoping to bridge the gap until I upgrade my electronics (my Denon is aging). I'd really like a remote I can use until I get a Pre-amp/rcvr that can decode these new formats.... I'm looking forward to a display that says I'm listening to TrueHD
post #460 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I don't agree. Toshiba made the HD-A2 with faster load time and at 1/2 the price of the lowest price Blu-ray player. And we all know how the double priced Blu-ray player stacks up against Toshiba's product.

And why criticize Toshiba for building in advanced technology into their flagship model? Like 1080p and the 12 bit video processor and HDMI 1.3. What would you want or expect Toshiba to offer instead?

Why not enjoy the stunning pq and audio available at a very affordable price now. Life is to short and too long not to enjoy the True Full HD experience so many of your fellow forum members have so overwhelmingly posted their delightful experience with.

I know the load time is slow and the G2 player, which is faster, is priced at $499, but if you enjoy HDTV and have a nice HD display you certainly need more HD content.

CE technology will always get better and cost less as the technology matures, but we are all HD enthusiasts and love the HD experience. Sure we can wait, but how long should we wait while we miss the pleasure of enjoying stunning HD in our home systems?

-Robert

Robert, I would love to buy another HDDVD player. I even saved my copy of Training Day, and Sleepy Hollow, in anticipation of my next player. Problem was with my Infocus SP5000, I was unable to get the SDDVD's to play through the HDMI/DVI connection. Everytime I tried to get it to play I got the HDMI error. I had issues with trying to get the player and projector to sync without having to restart the player with my HD movies. My current receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX) does not offer HDMI, so I need the analogue inputs for Dolby TrueHD. I don't really mind the slow loading time, since I have a projector it needs to warm up as well, but if the wife cannot turn it on, and get it to function, the answer is no from the misses. If it were not for these issues, I'd still have my A1, and watching a movie right now, instead of typing. Until then I still enjoy my Panasonic S97.
post #461 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverman View Post

For me the remote matters a ton. I've never been able to justify spending money on a Universal remote in any way shape or form.

I have to say that the money I spent on my Harmony universal remote has been one of the pleasant parts of my home theater. I plan to upgrade to the just announced Harmony 1000 when it is released in Oct.
post #462 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

The XA2 outputs 1080p/60, 1080i or 720p through the HDMI port regardless of the HDMI version you have on your A/R or HDTV. The only thing you will not get it the HDMI 1.3 support for Deep Color. -Robert

Robert,

Just to clarify: are you saying HDMI 1.3 is backward compatable with previous standards (1.2 on my Sony for example)? Someone posted in another thread that the connectors were even different with 1.3. If so, is it just a matter of the proper cable to connect to a 1.2 TV? Or is it just simple HDMI plug & play (without the new 1.3 features being implemented of course).

Thanks,
Byrne
post #463 of 4928 Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It is backwards compatical, yes, just minus the extra capabilities. Same cable, same connector. The mini-connector is an addition to the hdmi spec for camcorders. Its amazing how mis-information spreads.

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #464 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McCaa View Post

A few pages ago (man this thing is growing fast) folks were saying that the DAC has no use for those using HDMI, and therefore the AX2s more advanced DAC was of no real benefit unless you use Component. I do not believe that this is true. While I am not an insider my understanding is that the DAC does the conversion from the compressed video formats that are stored on the HD DVD (MPEG-2, VC-1, AVC) and renders each frame in an uncompressed format that is then transferred via HDMI (your display device having now way to do this decompression). So i think that the increased bit depth of the AX2 will be of benefit for everyone. I realize that DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter, but I believe that it is more than that, and the term is just used conveniently.

Perhaps an insider could chime in?

Steve

Seems like having a video DAC perform decoding would be awkward since there are multiple CODECs floating around. I guess I would be very much surprised if that function were not deliberately kept seperate from that of digital to analog conversion (unless perhaps for some highly dedicated all in one chip design for some very specific single CODEC high volume or space critical application -- military maybe?).

--Trevor
post #465 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

Not correct, but rather to ask for the source of your information that the Toshiba is now using the High Resolution named layer and not the Encore (which I have previously read was called "core"). It would seem that the High Resolution layer implies that it is using extra data contained outside of the "core".

Bob

My answer was based on the fact that page 59 of the Owner's manual specifies DTS-HD for HD DVD and DTS for standard DVD video.

You will notice on the DTS page:

http://dts.com/dts-hd/dts-on-bluray-and-hddvd.php

that for DTS Encore there is no DTS-HD specified.
post #466 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

I believe this question has been asked before but not answered.

Do the G2 models output both Dolby Digital and DTS on the coax/optical connection or only DTS like the G1 models?

Thanks,

Bob

The HD-A2 does not have a coaxial digital output (according to the pdf specs now on Robert's website), only optical (different from the A1).

The digital optical connection will transmit normal DD and DTS for SD DVD. For HD DVD, DD Plus is detected as DTS and decoded as such because of the 1.5 Mbps bitrate.

And for the SPDIF setup in the player you can always change the "Bitstream" selection to PCM and get 2 channel audio transmission in PCM format.
post #467 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post

The HD-A2 does not have a coaxial digital output (according to the pdf specs now on Robert's website), only optical (different from the A1).

The digital optical connection will transmit normal DD and DTS for SD DVD. For HD DVD, DD Plus is detected as DTS and decoded as such because of the 1.5 Mbps bitrate.

And for the SPDIF setup in the player you can always change the "Bitstream" selection to PCM and get 2 channel audio transmission in PCM format.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's time to upgrade my Pioneer VSX-99 receiver.
post #468 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Hi, Bob

Actually I'm pretty sure I saw the answer to that above, but still. As far as HD-DVD playback is concerned the S/PDIF ouput will be transcoded DTS just as before, this having the advantage of allowing the maximum legacy bitrate to be available for older receivers. If this approach were not taken, the maximum bitrate for non-DTS tracks would be 640Kbps (rather than DTS 1.5Mbps).

However, that doesn't mean all S/PDIF HD audio output will be 1.5Mbps. An example is many of Warner's current titles apparently have 640Kbps DD+. That lower bitrate will naturally result in a lower bitrate DTS transcode.

SD DVD S/PDIF output will be identical to any other DVD player.

-- Trevor

Thanks for your reply.

Upgrading my 10 year old, DD only, no 5.1 analog channel input receiver is my next step to enjoy HD-DVD.
post #469 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 View Post

I sincerely hope that Sony does drop their prices...and over time they likely will. Price competition is a good thing for consumers. The manufacturers that offer a blend of price and features attractive to consumers will do well and they know it. At prices over $500 the broad mass consumer market is not likely going to be much involved with these products anyhow, at least for quite a while if I had to guess, so I'd think it doubtful that Toshiba could seriously damage Sony or even vice versa.
post #470 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

VE web special for the A1 is killing me I am debating wheather to get the A1 or wait for the A2 someone please give me advice.

Rob

Don't hold your breath. I asked a similar question and was met with thunderous silence.
post #471 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave View Post

Don't hold your breath. I asked a similar question and was met with thunderous silence.

Well I decided to go with the A2. Mainly because of faster load times. Most likely more stable than the A1. Possibly a Better remote than the A1. Eventually I'm going to get a receiver with HDMI. Those are enough for me to get the A2. Plus free shipping and 2 free HD-DVDs makes it basically the same price as the A1.
post #472 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

No misunderstanding on my part. I think Tosh did a great job on G1, very satisfied as a matter of fact. Best $450 I spent on a A/V product in a long time.

I'm joining you...but at an entry price of $399.
post #473 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I'm joining you...but at an entry price of $399.

When I Read the Toshiba Press Release - it said only the X2 supports
1080p output.

If you already have an A1 - why would you want an A2 that does not
support 1080p?
post #474 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Well I decided to go with the A2. Mainly because of faster load times. Most likely more stable than the A1. Possibly a Better remote than the A1. Eventually I'm going to get a receiver with HDMI. Those are enough for me to get the A2. Plus free shipping and 2 free HD-DVDs makes it basically the same price as the A1.

Thanks!
I have the Harmony 880 downstairs and it is a wiz. Since I have a 4-year-old Toshiba 65" CRT with a DVI/HDCP connection, I'm going with the A1 unit.

Shipping in two weeks.
post #475 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

1080p output.

support 1080p?

Sorry I wasn't clear: I wanted advice on the choice of the first gen or the second gen. My equipment seems to mandate the A1--which I just ordered from Amazon on Friday. I don't even want to see Robert's deal--I didn't think he still had one on the A1.
post #476 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Sorry I wasn't clear: I wanted advice on the choice of the first gen or the second gen. My equipment seems to mandate the A1--which I just ordered from Amazon on Friday. I don't even want to see Robert's deal--I didn't think he still had one on the A1.

Now that is a HARD question to answer.

If you currently have NO HD-DVD player and you don't see
1080p in your future - I would wait a bit for the HDA2!

I have had a HDA1 since day one and I'm upset that I have
to UPGRADE to the X2 at the beginning of 07 to get 1080p
which I need for my 1080p Front Projector.

I'm scratching me head asking why the A2 does not support 1080p.

Oh Well - that is life on the bleeding edge of high-tech.

I hope I have helped with your decision.
post #477 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Any word yet on the country in which these new models are manufactured?

I prefer not to buy Taiwan made A/V products, but I was forced to with my recent 42" LCD purchase. It was the only model with the features I wanted. Hopefully the new players are still made in Japan.
post #478 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

So if I understand this right, Toshiba is going to offer a new model at the same price as the A1, that does less, and The 1000 dollar version will offer HDMI 1.3 that currently no receivers or processors offer, and 1080P. How is this going to help Toshiba sell more players. I had hoped that I would be able to buy a G2 player and hopefully get better luck, than I had with the A1 that I briefly owned. Looks like I will be waiting for a G3 model. I could have understood the A2 at even a $400 MSRP, but at the same as the A1 I'll pass. At least this will give me more time to save for a 1080P projector.

how come i have a feeling that the A2 will be selling at <$499 (or atleast with extra freebies) when they hit the stores. The whole point of putting the price point of the lesser than (A1) player is to allow more freedom of pricing for retailers. meaning to make the player more 'retailer friendly'. Maybe Robert can comment on that.
post #479 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

1080p output.

support 1080p?

Because 1080p doesn't matter.
post #480 of 4928 Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:

1080p output.

support 1080p?

Let me repeat this. The A2 is not made to be purchased as an ungrade to A1 or XA1. If u have A1, there is absolutely no need to replace it with A2.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page