post #721 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Like I said, component connections will work on composite inputs. S-Video isn't much of an improvement and is so rarely used I think adding another HDMI output on a HD player is a much better option.

You're saying just pick one of the 3 component cables and pop it into a composit jack and it's the same as good old yellow composite? I'm guessing some adapter has to be used, which is dumb since you can add good old yellow to the box for like $0.10.

It's a false dichotomy to say, 'since they gave stupid legacy video connectors they chose not to give a second HDMI'. Nobody's saying composite/S-Video > 2nd HDMI, but should they have wanted to do it, it wasn't having legacy support that stopped them. It's probably in the HD-DVD spec that it needs those legacy plugs anyway. Come to think of it, I've never seen ANY CE output device that has 2 HDMI outs. Who knows what that would envolve from a chip - processing standpoint. Would you pay $100 more for a second HDMI? Not many would. S-Video is a huge difference, essentially double the analog signal. I don't know where you were in 1999 but it's not to be disregarded lightly. It's a well-established standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

I used S-Video with everything before the rise of component. I could really only notice the difference with text. AFAIK the anaolg signal is not doubled for S-Video, it is just split into chrominance and luminance which reduces color bleeding and dot crawl.

Different strokes I guess.

Rock on!
post #723 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frass View Post

I can't believe this gets ignored three times and we talk about digital coax out
for a whole page. People still complain of sync problems and picture freezing.
I find it hard to believe know one wonders if Toshiba has addressed this for G2.

I think the reason this question hasn't been addressed is that no one knows yet. At a trade show it is unlikely anyone could spend enough time with the player to really find out about something like this. If you walk up and ask one of the reps, what would you expect them to say? "Yes, it still freezes?"

Bottom line - the answer to this will have to wait until professional reviewers and forum members get the players in their hands. IMO, of course.

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #724 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Holy $&@! the A2 doesn't have 2 HDMI outputs? That sucks big time. Not everyone always wants to watch a movie with the receiver on! Much less, how many receivers have HDMI in and out? (i don't have any idea). I want HDMI direct to my display, but I need to use HDMI to my receiver to get the new sound formats played as intended? Maybe I will be waiting for G3 players lol.
post #725 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The error correction (skipping, freezing etc) may be related to the drive and not the other components, Since the new models use a new drive, it should handle this differently (hopefully better). Amir made reference to this in a different thread...
post #726 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Questions:
1. On HD-A1, component output disabled if HDMI out selected (please correct me if I am wrong). Is it the same way on HD-A2? If so, w/o analog 5.1 out, does that mean if use component connection to display for video, cannot use HDMI to receiver for DD+ audio, can only use the downconverted to DTS via Toslink?

2. Anyone know if the HDMI->DVI PC level RGB problem on HD-A1 is fixed on A2?
post #727 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrispy View Post

Holy $&@! the A2 doesn't have 2 HDMI outputs? That sucks big time. Not everyone always wants to watch a movie with the receiver on! Much less, how many receivers have HDMI in and out? (i don't have any idea). I want HDMI direct to my display, but I need to use HDMI to my receiver to get the new sound formats played as intended? Maybe I will be waiting for G3 players lol.

Why would you want to watch a DVD/HD-DVD on a TV, and use the TV's inferior speakers for sound?
post #728 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Much less, how many receivers have HDMI in and out? (i don't have any idea).

AFAIK all receivers that have any HDMI inputs (really all that have HDMI have two or more inputs) have an HDMI output. That is one of the major reasons for HDMI over DVI/HDCP -- to carry digital video and digital audio (with encryption protection).

There are some receivers that don't pick off the audio but only switch HDMI.

Bob
post #729 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Like I said, component connections will work on composite inputs. S-Video isn't much of an improvement and is so rarely used I think adding another HDMI output on a HD player is a much better option.

S-Video is a CONSIDERABLE improvement over composite! And which single component output do you recommend as substitute for the composite output (presuming the component outputs remain available)?

-- Trevor
post #730 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

I didn't realize that the A1 & XA1 had discrete on. Is there a button on the remote for "On" or is there a hex code available? Can anyone with a Harmony remote tell me how the discrete On works in their system?

Discrete ON/Off and load times are the only things holding me off from an A1 purchase. I read that Toshiba will be providing Firmware updates until 2008. Was there any mention as to what they may provide? What is their priority? Better boot time? Discrete codes? anything else?

Thanks,
JayMan

For my Harmony, the ON is a Power Toggle. For Activity "Watch HD DVD", I press the Activity and it powers ON TV, HD-A1 and Yamaha receiver. And if I press the OFF command, everything goes OFF.

And for Device "HD DVD" I have an ON soft button and an OFF soft button.

Not sure what would be the benefit of having discrete ON, OFF buttons at the HD-A1 remote... the Harmony makes up for it.
post #731 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpblade View Post

Why would you want to watch a DVD/HD-DVD on a TV, and use the TV's inferior speakers for sound?

I live in a townhouse, I can't crank the sound to watch every movie. A lot of people are in similar situations. I use my receiver if we are watching an action movie, or it is the weekend.
post #732 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:

So run component and toslink to your TV and HDMI to your receiver. Use the V. Output button and problem solved.

Two HDMI outputs would be retarded for most people.
post #733 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post

The point is this, when you have good speakers and a powerful subwoofer (mine is a 12 inch down firing 78 lbs sub made by SVS) there is bound to be some vibration. Not to the point of lifting trap doors with your normal type of music but enough that perhaps some anti vibration pads under your DVD player can make a difference. These pads will go under my HD-A1 and it will make it up there among the best CD players around.

You are really fooling yourself if you think the HD-A1 is some audiophile dream as long as you put some pads underneath it.

Hook an external DAC up to the A1 and the difference is night and day. I use a modded Perpetual Tech P-3a I picked up used for $600....blows away the A1 in every respect as I would expect any decent DAC would.

There is nothing wrong with being happy with the A1 analog outs for CDs....but you can't go around telling people it's among the best around.

The analog outs for CD audio are merely acceptable to good......and nothing more.

I've heard really good things about the Benchmark DAC1 and the Ack dAck if you are interested in better two channel audio.

http://www.ack-industries.com/dAck!.html

sorry for the off topic but i've seen a few nonsense posts now about how the A1 competes with multithousand dollar equipment.
post #734 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For my Harmony, the ON is a Power Toggle. For Activity "Watch HD DVD", I press the Activity and it powers ON TV, HD-A1 and Yamaha receiver. And if I press the OFF command, everything goes OFF.

What happens when you press the master off and the player was already off?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #735 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

If I press the master OFF and and the players was off, it does not go back ON. If the player was ON and I press the master OFF and the player would remain ON, then I would press the Help key and it would ask me if the player is ON and when I press YES, it comes OFF.
post #736 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Good question - hm, I'll try this tonight to see what happens on my XA1...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #737 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I live in a townhouse, I can't crank the sound to watch every movie. A lot of people are in similar situations. I use my receiver if we are watching an action movie, or it is the weekend.

Does your receiver have the option to pass the HDMI audio to the display instead its own speakers? That would solve the problem. It seems a better solution than waiting for a HD DVD player with two HDMI outs.

X
post #738 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And for Device "HD DVD" I have an ON soft button and an OFF soft button.

Not sure what would be the benefit of having discrete ON, OFF buttons at the HD-A1 remote... the Harmony makes up for it.

Do the ON & OFF soft buttons do anything? I have those for my Denon AVR, but they do nothing, I have to use a power togle. All of my equipment is in a cabinet, so I don't know whats on or off... With the long boot time of the A1, it would be a minute before I would know that its not on... then another minute. I have a harmony 890 and can use it for 3 months with no problems... as soon as my wife picks it up, something doesn't turn on(or off) properly, and gets out of sync.
post #739 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrost View Post

You are really fooling yourself if you think the HD-A1 is some audiophile dream as long as you put some pads underneath it.

Hook an external DAC up to the A1 and the difference is night and day. I use a modded Perpetual Tech P-3a I picked up used for $600....blows away the A1 in every respect as I would expect any decent DAC would.

There is nothing wrong with being happy with the A1 analog outs for CDs....but you can't go around telling people it's among the best around.

The analog outs for CD audio are merely acceptable to good......and nothing more.

I've heard really good things about the Benchmark DAC1 and the Ack dAck if you are interested in better two channel audio.

http://www.ack-industries.com/dAck!.html

sorry for the off topic but i've seen a few nonsense posts now about how the A1 competes with multithousand dollar equipment.

I assume you have not read the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8464121
post #740 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrost View Post

So run component and toslink to your TV and HDMI to your receiver. Use the V. Output button and problem solved.

Two HDMI outputs would be retarded for most people.

do component cables pass the same quality picture to my display as HDMI? If so what if the MFers decide to activate the image token restraint? Isn't the point of having HDMI (from a consumer standpoint) to have a digital signal and not have to use a dozen cables?
post #741 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Do the ON & OFF soft buttons do anything? I have those for my Denon AVR, but they do nothing, I have to use a power togle. All of my equipment is in a cabinet, so I don't know whats on or off... With the long boot time of the A1, it would be a minute before I would know that its not on... then another minute. I have a harmony 890 and can use it for 3 months with no problems... as soon as my wife picks it up, something doesn't turn on(or off) properly, and gets out of sync.

First, let me say that I very rarely need to select a "Device" to activate commands. I have programmed my "Activities" to carry commands that I need in all regular circumstances.

I have the ON and OFF soft buttons for the TV, DVR, Sony 5 disc changer and HD DVD. And they function for each "Device". The Yamaha has an ON and an OFF button and in the Harmony, the ON and OFF soft buttons work the same way.

When your wife does something which causes a "Device" to become out of sync, pressing the HELP button (top of screen, right side) will correct the problem and put all components in sync.
post #742 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will tell you that I have the Harmony 880 and it turns if ON. That is why it needs the discrete on/off code.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #743 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

I will tell you that I have the Harmony 880 and it turns if ON. That is why it needs the discrete on/off code.

Well I don't have that problem.

You can make the necessary adjustment on the Logitech website,
select the Device and click change the Power Settings.
post #744 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I will try that tonight.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #745 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284

please limit your posts to the thread subject, and please no bashing other members

some threads deleted

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #746 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Does anyone know if the A2 will do 1080i over component cables? Also will it upconvert standard DVD to 1080i over component? Sorry if this has already been asked...this is a very long thread.
post #747 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpblade View Post

At night when all the neighbors are sleeping?

When you have a toddler who would rip your speakers to shreds?

When it's your wife playing the movie with her friends?
post #748 of 4928 Old 09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 View Post

Does anyone know if the A2 will do 1080i over component cables? Also will it upconvert standard DVD to 1080i over component? Sorry if this has already been asked...this is a very long thread.

Yes it will do HD over Component if the HD DVD does not carry the ICT flag. At this point there is not a single release with the flag.

No for upconversion of a commercial standard DVD. If a DVD is a copy of a ripped commercial DVD, the absence of the Macrovision protocol will enable upconversion.
post #749 of 4928 Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Folks,
Does anyone know where the IR receiver will be located on the A2 (to the left or right of the display)?
Reason I ask is, with my salamander stand, it becomes difficult to house components where the IR receivers are located at the far ends (the doors come in the way )
post #750 of 4928 Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

Folks,
Does anyone know where the IR receiver will be located on the A2 (to the left or right of the display)?
Reason I ask is, with my salamander stand, it becomes difficult to house components where the IR receivers are located at the far ends (the doors come in the way )

Byte - I have my XA1 behind the frosted glass doors of my Twin20, right side, upper shelf. The top of the glass is about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up on the XA1 (does this make sense?). I might have to post a picture for clarity...

My Harmony 880 operates the XA1 with no problems...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page