Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 4781 Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 View Post

No, when I open Power DVD 7.3 and play a "online enabled" HD DVD disc, I try to go online for the "web features"(again, in the HD DVD's menu). It's at that point that I get the "network error" message from the disc, saying that I need to have my player(the HD DVD add on) connected to the internet.

I've got the same issue and I use the 360 add-on on my PC using PowerDVD. I never resolved this and just gave up! Also have the same issue for blurays with BD Live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4781 Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 PM

ok i went to use my HD-DVD player for the first time in a long time today so my son could watch Shrek. Well it started up fine but it had a web update to do for the movie....well i did not feel like waiting for that...i canceled it. Well now all of my HD-DVD discs will not play. I thought i remembered from a while back that if you cancel something like that, that you need to delete all the Unknown files under the HD-DVD section on the 360......well i did that and still none of the discs will work.

any suggestions? is there like an update i need to apply since i erased everything under the HD-DVD memory section??? if so....where do i go on the 360 to download it? i could not find somewhere to do that.

thanks.
post #4773 of 4781 Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnacha View Post

I've got the same issue and I use the 360 add-on on my PC using PowerDVD. I never resolved this and just gave up! Also have the same issue for blurays with BD Live

Do you have Anydvdhd running? If so try diable it. Works for me.
post #4774 of 4781 Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

Do you have Anydvdhd running? If so try diable it. Works for me.

yes I do actually! The problem there is that as I connect via VGA if I disable it then I get the HDCP error from PDVD Looks like I can't win, but would rather watch the film than have web-enable content I suppose!! Unless I went digital! Thanks for the info

UPDATE - disabled ANYDVD HD and it played ok, i.e. no HDCP issues! BUT...still no web enabled features!!
post #4775 of 4781 Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 PM

HD DVD for Xbox sounds good but then I start reading about all the problems with it on here and I do not think I am going to get it now..
post #4776 of 4781 Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnfan23 View Post

HD DVD for Xbox sounds good but then I start reading about all the problems with it on here and I do not think I am going to get it now..

If you're using it with your Xbox,there are no issues;it becomes more complicated when using it connected to a PC.
post #4777 of 4781 Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnacha View Post

yes I do actually! The problem there is that as I connect via VGA if I disable it then I get the HDCP error from PDVD Looks like I can't win, but would rather watch the film than have web-enable content I suppose!! Unless I went digital! Thanks for the info

UPDATE - disabled ANYDVD HD and it played ok, i.e. no HDCP issues! BUT...still no web enabled features!!

Forgot that PDVD won't work with web enabled features in my PC too but Windvd 9 and TMT did. Some function just stuck with TMT but works fine with Windvd. Still Windvd seems to crash more on me.
post #4778 of 4781 Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

i just bought an HD DVD drive from frys for only 35 bucks and works great. i noticed it has 2 different outputs one mini usb and 2 regular usb. the cable that came with it is USB to mini USB. if i hook it up USB to USB will it be more MBs per sec or will it be the same as the cable it came with ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4779 of 4781 Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 AM

Those USB ports are actually a mini hub for connecting other USB items like the camera, wifi adapter etc. The 360 only has 1 USB port so they had to put them in.

Jason
post #4780 of 4781 Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
So I'm at Fry's just casually browsing and I see that all the 360 HD-DVD drives are new at $35. Now I wasn't planning on buying it because it's a dead format. But for $35 with a Media Center remote and with so many cheap HD-DVD movies out there, I thought what's $35? Great movies for cheap! Transformers new was $1.99! A ton of movies for less than $10.

I plug it into my Windows 7 64-bit RC1 and it works perfectly out of the box. Of course, I had to find PowerDVD 7.3 because I heard that's the last version to support HD-DVD.

Now, I'm ripping them to the PC and encoding them to MKV so that I don't have to worry about the HD-DVD drive dying or the discs not working.

My question is, how do I know what resolution the movie is playing at? I set my monitor to 1920x1440. But I thought for HD-DVD and BluRay to work on a PC, you needed to be HDCP all the way, but I have VGA monitors, so I was crossing my fingers that it would work. I have an ATI 4670 card.

Why is it working with VGA and is it downconverting the resolution? It looks so sharp so I'm pretty sure it can't be 480P.

It's so sad the format had to die because the movies are truly beautiful.
post #4781 of 4781 Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM

I recently purchased the 360 HD-DVD add on drive for ~$40 as well. When I hook it up to my 360 pro it outputs 720p through component just fine (wish I'd waited for a 360 elite with hdmi).

Now the problem comes when I try to use it with my HTPC. Currently I'm using a radeon 4850 HDCP enabled video card, 4 gigs of ram, Phenom II cpu, connected to my TV via HDMI. The TV is an LG CRT (can dig up the model if anyone needs it). For Software I have powerdvd 7.3.

All of my HD-DVD movies play video back without a hitch, but after a few minutes of watching the audio syncing becomes unbearable. Lip syncing is notably off and it makes movies unwatchable.

I have read that other users have had similar problems when using this hardware/software combination. I was wondering if there is a solution to the lip syncing issue or if other software exists that might be a better option. Windvd 9 plus blu-ray is marketed as HD-DVD compatible but some users who have tried it reported that it didn't work for them.

Any suggestions?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page