Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I think there is a few but the one I know about is Pioneer's and it runs around 8K.

Yeah this is really sad. I found out the Samsung LN-S5296D LCD panel also does 1080p, works on VGA, and is optimized for the 360 out of the box

I would love plasma, however, for price, performance, the Samsung may be my option. I'd love to snag a Panny as well if they had it @ 50" 1080p

The Pioneer is probably the best, however, the price is obviously the worse. I'm going to see if I can see the Samsung & Pioneer in action today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 11:10 AM

I just got mine today and I'm having a big problem with it.

This is supposed to be my Christmas present from my wife and 2 year-old. The deal is, I can buy it now, but have to wait to open it at Christmas so that my 2 year old can see daddy opening presents. I was cool with that even though its hard to wait.

I ordered it from CircuitCity.com and it arrived today. My wife is at work and I'm at home all day, so guess what I did... yeah I opened it and hooked it up and planned on watching King Kong this afternoon, then repackaging it.

Well... this movie is unwatchable. Its stuttering very badly. I went to the scene selection menu and its moving very slowly, it takes forever to scroll between the scenes. If it was a game, I'd say its moving at about 2 fps.

So now what? I have no other movies to test it out and I can't just run out and buy one real quick.
post #2703 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0527 View Post

This is supposed to be my Christmas present from my wife and 2 year-old. The deal is, I can buy it now, but have to wait to open it at Christmas so that my 2 year old can see daddy opening presents. I was cool with that even though its hard to wait.

I ordered it from CircuitCity.com and it arrived today. My wife is at work and I'm at home all day, so guess what I did... yeah I opened it and hooked it up and planned on watching King Kong this afternoon, then repackaging it.

Well... this movie is unwatchable. Its stuttering very badly. I went to the scene selection menu and its moving very slowly, it takes forever to scroll between the scenes. If it was a game, I'd say its moving at about 2 fps.

So now what? I have no other movies to test it out and I can't just run out and buy one real quick.

Did you try power cycling the XBox? A number of people have reported that that fixes the first play stuttering issues. Also, some people have reported that clearing the cache helps too.
post #2704 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bill, are you using the USB cable that came with the drive? i have heard some cables were causing stuttering issues.
post #2705 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Karma, man, karma.

Do the cache clearing thing, found a few pages back. It does wonders - but be aware it will clear out game updates and such.
post #2706 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post

im very sure there is a difference with a cable that costs $160 with one that costs $20 and its not just the size.

Oh definitely. It's called profit margin.
post #2707 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrody View Post

Oh definitely. It's called profit margin.

Haha come on, they aren't all created equally...
For example, MadCatz can't make a cable for their lives...
But I get what you mean, Monster is overpriced crap...I think we can all agree on that.

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
post #2708 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Anybody try a "home made" HD DVD in the 360 yet?

I've burned two copies of the HD DVD test pattern disc (posted in the software forum) so far, but can't get it to work in my 360. I'm trying to figure out if it's the 360, or if it's a coaster.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #2709 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Yep... several. Playback is fine.

Except the X360's HD-DVD ignores the MovieFactory's auto-repeat flag. The same disc repeats as intended when played in my HD-A1.

Instead of returning to the start, the X360 just shows a static image of the last scene.

The X360 also seems to hang if you put a chapter mark near the end of a clip.
post #2710 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Try this m8. Its worked for someone on here already. So could be the problem.
Note that this method removes all software updates and cache files for all games, not just a specific title.

Go to the "System" section of the Xbox Dashboard
Select "Memory", and then press the A
Choose a the HDD or a memory unit but do not press A - press Y to view "Device Options" which shows two options, "Rename" and "Format".
Press X, X, LB, RB, X, X.
Once you do this a blade will pop up saying: "This will perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices. Do you want to continue?"
Choose yes to clear the cache and update files, or choose no to cancel
post #2711 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

So the OPEN/CLOSE buttons on the remote bundled with the HDDVD drive doesn't open/close the HDDVD drive

And VOL on the remote won't control volume on a HT receiver, only a TV

I tried the Pioneer codes and a quick scan. No Luck. If anyone has a remote code that can control the volume on a Pioneer VSX-816, please let me know.

Is it not possible to teach the remote the codes? I've got my regular (microsoft) media center remote controlling my home theater volume control. (I'm not at home so can't play with the 360 remote! )
post #2712 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 PM

Sorry cant link to the AVSForums FAQ on Windows MCE, so copied and pasted this:

Q. How do you program the Windows MCE remote to control other equipment. like your TV or amplifier?
A. To program buttons on the remote control using the learning feature
1. Place the remote control for Media Center PC head to head (2 to 3 inches apart) with the remote from which it is learning.
2. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and hold the DVD MENU and OK buttons at the same time until the remote control lights turn off (2 seconds).
3. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and release the TV, VOL+, or VOL- button, depending on which command you want it to learn.
4. On the remote control that is teaching the command, press and hold the button that you want the corresponding button on the remote control for Media Center PC to learn.
The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm the selection.
If the remote did not learn the command, the lights blink quickly four times. To try again, repeat steps 1 through 4.
To restore the default remote control settings:
1. Press and hold the DVD MENU button and the LEFT navigation button at the same time until the remote control for Media Center PC lights turn off.
2. Press the OK button.
The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm that the buttons have been reset. The TV button will have no command assigned to it and the VOL+ and VOL- buttons will adjust the Media Center PC volume

Does this not work on the Universal Media Remote?
post #2713 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdivo View Post

Sorry cant link to the AVSForums FAQ on Windows MCE, so copied and pasted this:

Q. How do you program the Windows MCE remote to control other equipment. like your TV or amplifier?
A. To program buttons on the remote control using the learning feature
1. Place the remote control for Media Center PC head to head (2 to 3 inches apart) with the remote from which it is learning.
2. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and hold the DVD MENU and OK buttons at the same time until the remote control lights turn off (2 seconds).
3. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and release the TV, VOL+, or VOL- button, depending on which command you want it to learn.
4. On the remote control that is teaching the command, press and hold the button that you want the corresponding button on the remote control for Media Center PC to learn.
The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm the selection.
If the remote did not learn the command, the lights blink quickly four times.

Does this not work on the Universal Media Remote?

I tried it.

In step 2 (hold DVDMENU+OK), the lights only go out after the normal backlight time. I never get a double-blink success response or a 4-blink failure response.

But I do have the wireless remote that came with my MCE PC... I'll try that with the Xbox HD-DVD. It's on a shelf somewhere. I always just used a game controller to navigate through MCE.
post #2714 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, my other remote was from an old MCE machine, not from MCE2005.

It isn't backlit and doesn't seem to be responding to DVDMENU+OK either.
post #2715 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post

Do you see Microsoft allowing any way to get the new audio formats like TrueHD or DD+ eventually?

There are supposedly a number of announcements that are going to be made by Microsoft on the 22nd.

Destructoid.com said they have a mole they trust that stated one of the announcements is that Microsoft is finally going to admit developing an HDMI adapter for the XBOX 360. If they are smart it will allow full 1080p over HDMI including outputting the uncompressed audio for the DD+ and TrueHD formats, along with the DTS HD audio formats as well.

This is all speculation mind you, but I highly doubt microsoft painted themselves into a corner and did not allow for a true digital output of audio and video from their "NEXT GEN" trojan horse. They took quite a while developing all of the options they have released over the past year, and so far they have done a pretty damn good job with XBox live, the media streaming, and now the HD-DVD addon. If they can get HDMI and future proof the HD-DVD format, they might just pull off a real coup in helping HD-DVD become the dominant format. Especially if it's as easy as it seems to add this HD-DVD add on to HTPC's.

TimT

"This is my BOOMSTICK!!!"
Ash, AOD
post #2716 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffzack View Post

It does for NTSC DVDs, yes. But for PAL DVDs it is horrible, because the VGA output will remain at 60 Hz refresh rate - it will not drop down to 50 Hz.

Not sure what the problem is with your setup[, but PAL discs play better on my 360 than any other player I have tried. It gets rid of the motion artifacts and plays without jaggies. It upsamples beautifully over VGA. I suspect it is doing inverse telecine to the PAL material, and then reassembling it for NTSC. PAL DVDs look justr like NTSC DVDs on my setup.

I Like Digital!
post #2717 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone posted above regarding my stuttering issue.

Turns out I've got a dud unit and I'm shipping it back to Circuit City tomorrow.

I cleared the cache and then put in a regular DVD - Star Wars Episode III and it played fine at first - the FBI warnings scrolled by and then the Star Wars title screen popped at the menu, faded in for about 5 seconds, then I heard a loud click. Then a bunch of red, blue,and green squiggly lines started running down my screen, then the unit powered itself off ... permanently.
post #2718 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I've burned two copies of the HD DVD test pattern disc (posted in the software forum) so far, but can't get it to work in my 360. I'm trying to figure out if it's the 360, or if it's a coaster.

Got a link to that? Can't seem to find it.

I Like Digital!
post #2719 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys,
Here is my dilemma. I don't have a HD DVD player nor do I have the Xbox 360. However I would lik eto have both of them. So since now the Xbox 360 has a HD DVD addon. What would you guys recommend. Buying the Xbox 360 with the addon or just buying the toshiba HD DVD player. I have heard some people saying that buying the Tosiba player is good since it is dedicated to only playing the HD DVD's and some people say that the XBox 360 addon player is comparable to the Toshiba player.

I am a student and I don't have a lot of money to afford both of them. When I compare the price the Xbox 360 and the addon will cost me somehwere around $560 and the Toshiba will cost me $400. But with the Xbox 360 I will also be able to play games and watcg Hd Dvd. So I am in a situation where I can't decide. So all you guys out there who own any one of these or both please help me decide.

Also I am novice to all the technical Jargons so if you would be able to answer in laymans terms that would be great

Cheers!!!
post #2720 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM

My wife went shopping tonight to my surprise she brings home Batman returns, Ray and Training day all hdvd

im so far ahead...I feel outdated
post #2721 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Guys,
Here is my dilemma. I don't have a HD DVD player nor do I have the Xbox 360. However I would lik eto have both of them. So since now the Xbox 360 has a HD DVD addon. What would you guys recommend. Buying the Xbox 360 with the addon or just buying the toshiba HD DVD player. I have heard some people saying that buying the Tosiba player is good since it is dedicated to only playing the HD DVD's and some people say that the XBox 360 addon player is comparable to the Toshiba player.

I am a student and I don't have a lot of money to afford both of them. When I compare the price the Xbox 360 and the addon will cost me somehwere around $560 and the Toshiba will cost me $400. But with the Xbox 360 I will also be able to play games and watcg Hd Dvd. So I am in a situation where I can't decide. So all you guys out there who own any one of these or both please help me decide.

Also I am novice to all the technical Jargons so if you would be able to answer in laymans terms that would be great

Cheers!!!

I got both for around $500. I got the 360 from overstock with the 15% coupon which came to about $330 shipped, and the hd-dvd player from circuit city for $170 after $40 coupon.
post #2722 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone posted above regarding my stuttering issue.

Turns out I've got a dud unit and I'm shipping it back to Circuit City tomorrow.

I cleared the cache and then put in a regular DVD - Star Wars Episode III and it played fine at first - the FBI warnings scrolled by and then the Star Wars title screen popped at the menu, faded in for about 5 seconds, then I heard a loud click. Then a bunch of red, blue,and green squiggly lines started running down my screen, then the unit powered itself off ... permanently.

That's no good mate, but you failed to tell us how you explained your early unpacking to the wife?!
post #2723 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

Got a link to that? Can't seem to find it.

Try this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+test+patterns

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #2724 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just brought one home and it's great!

I have two copies of Kong and compared the two with the xbox and the A1. The A1 is connected by HDMI to my receiver and the xbox is component into the Pioneer Elite but then converted to HDMI and then run into the Samsung HL-S5687.

I can't see any difference in the two at all. They both look exactly the same to my eyes. Even on upclose inspection of about 1 ft they look the same.

I'm going to run a few test with a test disk later to see how they measure up.

If they come out with HDMI for the audio, this will be one hell of a machine!
post #2725 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake526 View Post

Haha come on, they aren't all created equally...
For example, MadCatz can't make a cable for their lives...
But I get what you mean, Monster is overpriced crap...I think we can all agree on that.

They are not all created equally - but they all permorf the same (for smaller lengths). Afterall its all digital ...
post #2726 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Guys,

Cheers!!!

My advice, if you want just an HD DVD player, buy an HD DVD player.

If you want a 360, and and HD DVD player, get the 360 and the addon. It will serve you well now, and later when the second (or even third) gen players become more readilly available, you can upgrade to one of those if you really want the advanced audio outputs.

post #2727 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed6 View Post

My wife went shopping tonight to my surprise she brings home Batman returns, Ray and Training day all hdvd

Is your wife forsale she sounds just my cup of tea (English saying )
post #2728 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I just brought one home and it's great!

I have two copies of Kong and compared the two with the xbox and the A1. The A1 is connected by HDMI to my receiver and the xbox is component into the Pioneer Elite but then converted to HDMI and then run into the Samsung HL-S5687.

I can't see any difference in the two at all. They both look exactly the same to my eyes. Even on upclose inspection of about 1 ft they look the same.

I'm going to run a few test with a test disk later to see how they measure up.

If they come out with HDMI for the audio, this will be one hell of a machine!

thanks for the test! what resolution are you outputting the 360 at? what screen size?
post #2729 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Batman Begins + TrueHD track = noticeable loss of audio sync.

Damn.
post #2730 of 4781 Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

thanks for the test! what resolution are you outputting the 360 at? what screen size?

1080i from the xbox. 56" Samsung HL-S5687 dlp. Normal seating distance is 7 ft.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page