JPEG viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After much searching I must pose this question in a thread.

The specs for the HD-A1 list it as capable of playback of JPEG files. I have burned a DVD of JPEG and a CD of JPEG and my A1 has not recognized either. What gives?

Secondly, I know that the USB ports on the front are not active, but when I plug my camera into them, the camera recognizes that it is hooked up to a computer but the A1 does nothing. The ability to do this was also suggested in the A1 literature.

Anyone gotten JPEG playback?

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Using MovieFactory 5 I have been able to create HD-DVD slideshows which playback beautifully. I'm using these instructions.

DSKTexas
post #3 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'll try out Ulead tonight. I just assumed straight burned JPEGs would be recognized like MP3 CDs...

post #4 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKTexas
Using MovieFactory 5 I have been able to create HD-DVD slideshows which playback beautifully. I'm using these instructions.
Ditto here. I used Ulead MF5 and created 1080i slide shows that look more than amazing. I am so much into creating these kind of HD DVD discs using regular DVD media that it is almost an addiction. Just looks soooo cooool.....
post #5 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does your burner need to know how to burn HD DVDs? I can't get the SD DVD to set a resolution of 1920x1080, that seems only available for the HD DVD disc type.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow
Does your burner need to know how to burn HD DVDs? I can't get the SD DVD to set a resolution of 1920x1080, that seems only available for the HD DVD disc type.
See my link above. You will need Ulead MF5 and Nero burning ROM. Create the slideshow in MF5 as an HD-DVD folder on your harddrive then burn it to a regular SD-DVD with Nero. HD-A1 will recognize it as an HD-DVD and play it .

DSKTexas
post #7 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I've basically done that. It sure does take FOREVER to encode all of these JPEGs into 1920x1080i. Thanks for the help and info!

post #8 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Liked: 15
Are the slideshows encoded in widescreen?
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From what I've gathered (need to install Nero to finish) the images are encoded for widescreen. My pictures are 4:3 ratio and it just scaled them to 1920x1080 (pillarboxed). They were not cropped to widescreen. I am planning on editing the pictures (there are too many to do at once -- nearly 400) to fit a 16:9 space perfectly (aka crop for 1920x1080). I wish there was a utility that had a perfect 1920x1080 rectangle so I could just line up the rectangle and press a button (kinda like a cookie cutter for pictures).

post #10 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM

Definately crop/resize the pictures to 1920x1080. Also, to speed up rendering do not use any transitions (fades, etc.) between pictures.

DSKTexas
post #11 of 14 Old 09-25-2006, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKTexas
Definately crop/resize the pictures to 1920x1080. Also, to speed up rendering do not use any transitions (fades, etc.) between pictures.
Definitely figured that out too late. Luckily it takes 6 hours less doing as many photos without a starting menu as well (like I even wanted that to begin with). My processor is no slouch -- AMD64. I can say that the final product is good but I wish the Tosh would get its USB working with devices like they initially stated.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi. I'm Bob. I've been waiting forever for some way to view JPEGs on my widescreen HDTV in something better than 480i. (I think my DVD burning software really limits the resolution. Roxio Easy CD & DVD creator 6). I have 1000's of JPEG files stored on CDs, which at present I can only display in a VCD or SD DVD format. My 5 year old CRT HDTV only has one component input for HD, which I use for my HD Sat receiver. True HD,1080i or 720p, can look great via satellite or OTA, but my JPEG formats available to me so far just suck. I doubt I am even getting 480i.

What would I need to have/do in order to display higher def JPEGs?
Can I assume that nothing will read a CD with just JPEGs on it? Does the CD have to be in some sort of format first? I kinda' got the impression this may have been explained already in this thread, but I think it went over my head. Sign of old age, I guess.

Of course, I can always watch slideshows of those JPEG CDs on my computer screen, but that's not what I want. Maybe I want too much.

If there IS something out there in order to do that, I also know that I would have to use the HD DVD player as well as my HD Sat receiver both on the same single HD input. Maybe I could switch them if necessary via some component switching device. I'm not about to buy another HDTV just for HDMI, DVI or extra component HD inputs. Well, not just yet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow
Ok, I've basically done that. It sure does take FOREVER to encode all of these JPEGs into 1920x1080i. Thanks for the help and info!
For everyone interested in conversion... Programs like Photoshop and Fireworks have built-in "wizards" that allow you to edit multiple files (even of different file types) simultaneously. You can do things like change size, crop pictures, insert watermarks, etc...

I am not familiar with Photoshop's wizard, but I do regularly use Fireworks. I'll be glad to test it out (to see if it does what y'all want it to do) and to post a quick how-to.

I heart dinosaurs
post #14 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhorst
Hi. I'm Bob. I've been waiting forever for some way to view JPEGs on my widescreen HDTV in something better than 480i. (I think my DVD burning software really limits the resolution. Roxio Easy CD & DVD creator 6). I have 1000's of JPEG files stored on CDs, which at present I can only display in a VCD or SD DVD format. My 5 year old CRT HDTV only has one component input for HD, which I use for my HD Sat receiver. True HD,1080i or 720p, can look great via satellite or OTA, but my JPEG formats available to me so far just suck. I doubt I am even getting 480i.

What would I need to have/do in order to display higher def JPEGs?
Can I assume that nothing will read a CD with just JPEGs on it? Does the CD have to be in some sort of format first? I kinda' got the impression this may have been explained already in this thread, but I think it went over my head. Sign of old age, I guess.

Of course, I can always watch slideshows of those JPEG CDs on my computer screen, but that's not what I want. Maybe I want too much.

If there IS something out there in order to do that, I also know that I would have to use the HD DVD player as well as my HD Sat receiver both on the same single HD input. Maybe I could switch them if necessary via some component switching device. I'm not about to buy another HDTV just for HDMI, DVI or extra component HD inputs. Well, not just yet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
What is preferable is to just read the JPEG files directly, the way that many SDDVD players do today. Instead of the hassle of authoring, you should be able to adjust the rotation by right clicking properties of each image on your PC-HDD, test with the slideshow on your PC and then burn directly to a blank DVD. I have thousands of images that I can store on DVD blanks that would not fit well if authored at 10 s/clip as video.

JPEG decompression and scaling and conversion from RGB to YUV is not that hard.

It should be trivial for Toshiba to release a FW upgrade for this.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page