Firmware 2.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When guys, when?!!!, Has anybody heard anything on this, the DVI/HDMI problem is driving me crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM

I am still waiting for my 2.0 Disc

Rick -
On the Beach
post #3 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Within 10 days i hope
post #4 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOBX View Post

I am still waiting for my 2.0 Disc

whay wait for the disc? Dont you have the internet?
post #5 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

im kinda anxious too, my HD-A1 skips about every movie now.

I don't know if I should send it in for repair, wait for firmware or return it.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #6 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #7 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Could you people making a prediction on the ETA of the update please post your source for the information?

Thanks !
post #8 of 221 Old 10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Could you people making a prediction on the ETA of the update please post your source for the information?

Thanks !

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8554832
Tosh rep.
post #9 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Tosh rep.

Missed that. Thanks.
post #10 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

whay wait for the disc? Dont you have the internet?

I do not have a long enough Cat6 line to reach the HDA1 and it is a pain in the butt to move the Tosh. The last 2 FW discs were promptly shipped.....I can wait a few more days......

Rick -
On the Beach
post #11 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

download the .iso and burn it. That's what I did.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #12 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@BBY View Post

im kinda anxious too, my HD-A1 skips about every movie now.

I don't know if I should send it in for repair, wait for firmware or return it.

Return it (exchange) I guess, mine has never given me any problems. Why tolerate a clearly problematic unit? Never one skip, never one hiccup. I avoid HDMI like the plague, so that may explain why I don't have problems (analog is always consistent and it outperforms HDMI when consistentcy is factored in).

post #13 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post

download the .iso and burn it. That's what I did.

Might have to if I do not get it this week.....Training Day is awaiting LOL

Rick -
On the Beach
post #14 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Return it (exchange) I guess, mine has never given me any problems. Why tolerate a clearly problematic unit? Never one skip, never one hiccup. I avoid HDMI like the plague, so that may explain why I don't have problems (analog is always consistent and it outperforms HDMI when consistentcy is factored in).

Interesting, I've been wondering if the skipping/lip synch problem is HDMI related, audio related or disc related. The fact that you had no problems with your component connection, makes me wonder if it isn't HDMI. Has anyone done a survey as to what connections/settings that this problem occurs in? Barring a disc manufacturing problem, we should be able to come to a concensus on what might be causing this skip issue.
post #15 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why oh why would you do this????!!!!

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #16 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Why oh why would you do this????!!!!

use analog? or return the player? I'm not gonna return it, I advise Brian to exchange it as it appears to give him grief.

As far as analog, because I think it is better and I've seen no conclusive evidence that HDMI does give a better picture or produce clearer sound. the A/D conversion must happen, whether at the TV or in the receiver. With the A1 you can have the player handle both and trust me, it does a superior job unless you have very high end equipment.

post #17 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you ran avia or dve to prove this or are you going by eye??

Also, what if your player has hdmi issues.......and you dont find out till it is too late....As far as the A/D conversion.....i always thought that the player did that with hdmi/dvi..........?

post #18 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you ran avia or dve to prove this or are you going by eye??

Also, what if your player has hdmi issues.......and you dont find out till it is too late....As far as the A/D conversion.....i always thought that the player did that with hdmi/dvi..........?

you asking me? you don't seem to refer or reference anything...

post #19 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as the A/D conversion.....i always thought that the player did that with hdmi/dvi..........?

sorry, I mean D/A conversion and that changes depending on whether display decode the signal or whether you rely on the player. Given that my display is a CRT, I only have component. Now I did work at Tweeter when this player was released and I did A/B comparisons on 2 TVs using HDMI/component (audioquest component and HDMI). HDMI looked no different and had no more or less artifacting. It did create HDMI handshake issues. Component looked the same, even when walking up close to the set. I know professional reviews with better testing equipment have had mixed reviews of HDMI as well.

I used a Sony 42A10 (3LCD RPTV) and a Sony SXRD RPTV(50XBR1) in my informal test. I do own a copy of DVE and Avia and used those with test patterns to check if all 480 lines of resolution were being resolved, both upconverted and at 480p. HDMI is a useful connection, when its not possessed by the devil (single cable replacing my 9 RCAs is nifty but not worth the headaches). With HDMI your voltage from each component has to match, and my experience with a variety of devices shows that this often gets a flutter.

BTW, I still get upconversion over analog and it looks similarly fantastic.

post #20 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry, I mean D/A conversion and that changes depending on whether display decode the signal or whether you rely on the player. Given that my display is a CRT, I only have component. Now I did work at Tweeter when this player was released and I did A/B comparisons on 2 TVs using HDMI/component (audioquest component and HDMI). HDMI looked no different and had no more or less artifacting. It did create HDMI handshake issues. Component looked the same, even when walking up close to the set. I know professional reviews with better testing equipment have had mixed reviews of HDMI as well.

I used a Sony 42A10 (3LCD RPTV) and a Sony SXRD RPTV(50XBR1) in my informal test. I do own a copy of DVE and Avia and used those with test patterns to check if all 480 lines of resolution were being resolved, both upconverted and at 480p. HDMI is a useful connection, when its not possessed by the devil (single cable replacing my 9 RCAs is nifty but not worth the headaches). With HDMI your voltage from each component has to match, and my experience with a variety of devices shows that this often gets a flutter.

BTW, I still get upconversion over analog and it looks similarly fantastic.

If your happy with your results then really that is all that matters.
I am just saying that more bandwidth is always better and less conversions is always better

Using a RPTV crt will always have the A/D conversion....my setup is a panny plasma 50px60u-hdmi-pioneer 81tx-hd a1......my set as far as i know is only scaling it to fit everything else is being done inside the player.....i have seen component hdtv[comcast] and hdmi hdtv [comcast] and i can say there is a noticable difference in PQ...as far as HD DVD, i only have used hdmi......

What i will agree with you on is the handshake bs which is total bs also so is the different hdmi versions.....it should come with a chip for firware upgrades.....

post #21 of 221 Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am just saying that more bandwidth is always better and less conversions is always better

If your happy with your results then really that is all that matters.

Not necessarily going down like you think. Just so you don't think I'm pulling this outta my rear, this is from bluejeanscable, a sponsor on here. Their not "experts" but this article does sum up what is generally known.

The argument often made for the DVI or HDMI signal formats is the "pure digital" argument--that by taking a digital recording, such as a DVD or a digital satellite signal, and rendering it straight into digital form as a DVI or HDMI signal, and then delivering that digital signal straight to the display, there is a sort of a perfect no-loss-and-no-alteration-of-information signal chain. If the display itself is a native digital display (e.g. an LCD or Plasma display), the argument goes, the signal never has to undergo digital-to-analog conversion and therefore is less altered along the way.

That might be true, were it not for the fact that digital signals are encoded in different ways and have to be converted, and that these signals have to be scaled and processed to be displayed. Consequently, there are always conversions going on, and these conversions aren't always easy going. "Digital to digital" conversion is no more a guarantee of signal quality than "digital to analog," and in practice may be substantially worse. Whether it's better or worse will depend upon the circuitry involved--and that is something which isn't usually practical to figure out. As a general rule, with consumer equipment, one simply doesn't know how signals are processed, and one doesn't know how that processing varies by input. Analog and digital inputs must either be scaled through separate circuits, or one must be converted to the other to use the same scaler. How is that done? In general, you won't find an answer to that anywhere in your instruction manual, and even if you did, it'd be hard to judge which is the better scaler without viewing the actual video output. It's fair to say, in general, that even in very high-end consumer gear, the quality of circuits for signal processing and scaling is quite variable.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...icomponent.htm

So its really your final statement that is closer to the mark. Whatever works for you, whatever works for me. I'm just glad that we can agree that HDMI does have one negative, handshakes. Analog definitely has its share of negatives too, but is tried and tested.

HDMI could be great when some rigid standards and impedence control....

Anyways, the point of this was to encourage people to try analog and perhaps BTB issues and other HDMI related problems won't be harped on. Then again, if HDMI is your only route, you're basically in my boat ('cept the other way around).

post #22 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

use analog? or return the player? I'm not gonna return it, I advise Brian to exchange it as it appears to give him grief.

As far as analog, because I think it is better and I've seen no conclusive evidence that HDMI does give a better picture or produce clearer sound. the A/D conversion must happen, whether at the TV or in the receiver. With the A1 you can have the player handle both and trust me, it does a superior job unless you have very high end equipment.

I'm with you man, I had problems with HDMI. Now that I'm using component, it's smooth sailing. Even the disc that looked like they had a blemish played perfectly.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #23 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I think it is funny that 2.1 is near its release and many owners still have not even been sent the 2.0 disc. Does that indicate then number of HD DVD players now purchased? Are there that many owners sending in the request updates card? I was told the 2.0 disc was on backorder for awhile which is why I just received mine last week...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #24 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Tosh rep.

If I understand that post correctly, those of us who just got the discs should have gotten 2.1. I sure didn't, did anyone?
J
post #25 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 AM

...About 4 weeks after I requested it. I went ahead and downloaded the update via ethernet cable. It took like 9 times before it finally worked. It also took about an hour and I have fast download capability.

Does anyone know what specific issues the 2.1 update is supposed to address or what new features it will provide?
post #26 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
WHat exactly is the issue with 2.0?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #27 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Biggest problem I have foudnd is that it seems to empty my wallet. Once I heard TrueHD 5.1 I had to go buy every movie that had it on it. Is this fixable by firmware? Maybe Toshiba could get some pointers from Sony's authoring dept on how to reverse this.

Seriously tho I haven't had any problems with 2.0. Didn't have any on 1.4 either.
post #28 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mostly, its the DVI issues.
J
post #29 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me it is the HDMI to DVI BTB issue. I hope they will address this in the next firmware update.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #30 of 221 Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:

HDMI > DVI BTB problems and it killed HDCP handshaking on my BenQ 8700.

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men
stand ready in the night to visit violence upon
those who would do us harm.
- George Orwell
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page