XBox 360 HD DVD Addon FAQ. Please posts questions here! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So I check Circuit City's website earlier today and I see my local store has them in stock. I drive on down to the store. Here is the actual exchange with the young man working at CC.

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360

CCemployee: AH...the what?

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360. Your website says you have it in stock.

CCemployee: Ah gee...( walks over to XBOX stuff...picks up a remote) is this it?

Me: No it is a HD-DVD player.

CCEmployee: Gee I am not sure what that is...let me ask someone.

CCEmployee#2: Sir there is no such thing....

Me: Yes there is. It is the hottest add on for the Xbox360...and you have them in the back where your shipment from today is stored.

CCEmployee: Xbox360 cannot play HD-DVD's.

Me: Can I use your store computer to show you that you are worng?

CCEMployee: sure ( walks me to computer)

I pull up the HD-DVD add on from their website. The Employees look at each other and start mumbling....one writes down the item number and goes to the back storage area.

Walks out with a look of amazement..." yes we have 4 of these back there...wow...look at this ( as reads the box)...passes it to the other employee...who then calls another employee over...all are amazed that such a device exists...they had never heard of it. They call the manager over....he is amazed...they are all fondling the box like it is the Holy Grail.

The Manager exclaims " well...we gotta get these out on the floor!!!!"

I purchase it and walk out....

Between Best Buy and CC I am never at a loss for pure entertainment.

42" in the dining room.50" in the bedroom 80" in the living room 65" in the family room 70" in the family room 106" in the family room "There is another system" Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm, I wonder if it will work on a Mac.

I doubt it, but I'll give it a shot.

The Mole is here.
post #63 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
People, once PowerDVD for HD-DVD is available you will NOT need an HDCP compliant card. It will work over VGA, I am running PowerDVD BD over VGA with no issue, and as far as I can tell no down-rezing. I believe the initial Japanese WinDVD HD version has a bug which wrongly assumes that no HDCP, do 960 x 540 anyway. PowerDVD appears not to do this.

Also with PowerDVD as long as you have an ATI X1600 or nVidia 7600GT or higher you will be fine with what you have.

The other thing to bear in mind is CPU. BD in MPEG-2 can run an E6600 to 60% CPU... The software I would argue is not yet that refined for performance. Beware, but enjoy.

post #64 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how do you get the remote that was supplied with the hd dvd drive to open the disk tray on the hd dvd drive. So far i can only get it to open the original 360 drive and not the hd dvd drive.
post #65 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post

People, once PowerDVD for HD-DVD is available you will NOT need an HDCP compliant card. It will work over VGA, I am running PowerDVD BD over VGA with no issue, and as far as I can tell no down-rezing. I believe the initial Japanese WinDVD HD version has a bug which wrongly assumes that no HDCP, do 960 x 540 anyway. PowerDVD appears not to do this.

Also with PowerDVD as long as you have an ATI X1600 or nVidia 7600GT or higher you will be fine with what you have.

The other thing to bear in mind is CPU. BD in MPEG-2 can run an E6600 to 60% CPU... The software I would argue is not yet that refined for performance. Beware, but enjoy.

Have you tried it over DVI instead of VGA?
post #66 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I assume that when you connect the HD DVD drive to the 360, they basically become one unit more or less.........so the remote only has one eject button, how would it know which one to open? The drive on the 360 probably overides the HD drive......if that makes any sense.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #67 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

So I check Circuit City's website earlier today and I see my local store has them in stock. I drive on down to the store. Here is the actual exchange with the young man working at CC.

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360

CCemployee: AH...the what?

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360. Your website says you have it in stock.

CCemployee: Ah gee...( walks over to XBOX stuff...picks up a remote) is this it?

Me: No it is a HD-DVD player.

CCEmployee: Gee I am not sure what that is...let me ask someone.

CCEmployee#2: Sir there is no such thing....

Me: Yes there is. It is the hottest add on for the Xbox360...and you have them in the back where your shipment from today is stored.

CCEmployee: Xbox360 cannot play HD-DVD's.

Me: Can I use your store computer to show you that you are worng?

CCEMployee: sure ( walks me to computer)

I pull up the HD-DVD add on from their website. The Employees look at each other and start mumbling....one writes down the item number and goes to the back storage area.

Walks out with a look of amazement..." yes we have 4 of these back there...wow...look at this ( as reads the box)...passes it to the other employee...who then calls another employee over...all are amazed that such a device exists...they had never heard of it. They call the manager over....he is amazed...they are all fondling the box like it is the Holy Grail.

The Manager exclaims " well...we gotta get these out on the floor!!!!"

I purchase it and walk out....

Between Best Buy and CC I am never at a loss for pure entertainment.

I know what you mean.......it's actually rare to find an employee that actually knows what the HD add on is.....it's frustrating! I want one so bad and I can't find them anywhere!

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #68 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 PM

damn that sucks you should be able to chose which one you want
post #69 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Have you tried it over DVI instead of VGA?

DVI will only work without HDCP if you're using an analogue DVI->VGA connection. If you use digital DVD->DVI or DVI->HDMI then HDCP is required, and you get NO picture if you try and play. You should only get a down-rezed picture over analogue if the disc has the ICT flag set (none do so far) or the software is in error as apparently some versions of WinDVD HD are.
post #70 of 652 Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
More $$$ from Sony to keep the masses in the dark says my conspiracy theorist brain. I'm sure the salesman probably WAS clueless but the manager....? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..............
Went to BB tonite in Emeryville, whole HUGE display of 360's, not an add-on anywhere in site. Didn't ask as I was there for something else and didn't want to wind up in jail for strangling a BBB tonite with my temper lately.

post #71 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

.......Didn't ask as I was there for something else and didn't want to wind up in jail for strangling a BBB tonite with my temper lately.

Is that an acronym for Best Buy Bull$&t?

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #72 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHed View Post

Unfortunately, there's no download link to the Japanese WinDVD 8. Only an update and older versions.

http://www.intervideo.co.jp/products/wd8p/

The first red button is to purchase the download full version of WinDVD8 Platinum.
post #73 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

The first red button is to purchase the download full version of WinDVD8 Platinum.

Read this online today. I will order mine as soon as possible.

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
post #74 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:21 AM

what do you need it to open the disc tray for anyways ? you still need to go to put in / swap discs ?

~T
post #75 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:46 AM

LOL!!! that story is awesome about the CC employees ...

anyhow lots of people are now scrambling for the HD-DVD unit, I just picked one up off ebay from a reputable seller at this time there is 18 units left, aside from getting shanked on shipping (I'm in Canada though, maybe cheaper for US -- he actually is using a shipping calculator instead of charging some over inflated rate)... was also worried that he was going to be removing the king kong and remote but he states they are coming along with it. ... anyhow I had to pay a $30 or so premium (including shipping) but I'm getting one soon now ...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-P...QQcmdZViewItem

for those who are interested.

~T
post #76 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:51 AM

i like the thought of knowing i can do it if i wanted to
post #77 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 AM

alright mate you know that store next to holywood video called gamecrazy go there/call them up and see if they have it. Thats where I got mine. Not a whole lot of people know about it in comparison to say eb games so you might have a good chance.
post #78 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

More $$$ from Sony to keep the masses in the dark says my conspiracy theorist brain. I'm sure the salesman probably WAS clueless but the manager....? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..............
Went to BB tonite in Emeryville, whole HUGE display of 360's, not an add-on anywhere in site. Didn't ask as I was there for something else and didn't want to wind up in jail for strangling a BBB tonite with my temper lately.

Give me a break! They don't know much about Blu-Ray either, or any other new product.

This isn't about Sony, it's about the knowledge and training of the employees at these stores.

If Sony did pay them to do something, they wouldn't be able to follow the instructions anyway.
post #79 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think a good entry for the FAQ is the power consumption of the 360 and HD DVD drive combined. Does anyone w/the drive have something like a Kill-A-Watt (http://www.p3international.com/produ.../P4400-CE.html) to report their findings?

With my Kill-A-Watt, I find that the 360 draws ~138 to 140 watts at idle in the dashboard and about 110 W while playing a DVD on the internal drive.
post #80 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Once you get past the first screen what does the next one want . Google won't translate it.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #81 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 04:29 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6057 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

What are the load times as compared to HD-A1 assuming both units start from power up.

Around 20 to 25 seconds to start a movie. the A1 is over twice that.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #82 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

This actually happened to me at EBGames. I had reserved mine, but two employees and a customer who had never seen it before were looking at the box, and they did the exact same thing. They studied every panel on the box - it was like they found Cortez' gold. "It even comes with King Kong! Whoa!" etc...
post #83 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 05:53 AM

lol @ the Circuit City story!!

The employee that I talked to at CC knew what the HD-DVD drive was but he didn't think they had any in stock. I told him I just saw it available via their website. Then he was very doubtful because he just apparently came from the back looking for the product. He then told me that he hasn't seen anything coming in on a truck or a warehouse for at least a week. I asked him to check the website. He did and saw that indeed the website claimed he had one in stock. He then checked his store inventory on the computer and what do you know? THEY HAD A COUPLE IN STOCK IN THE STORE RIGHT NOW!

lol, he was so sure they didn't and wasn't about to check his inventory via the PC until I asked him to.
post #84 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My homemade HD DVDs play just fine in the Addon.
post #85 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm in Canada... (Note that the unofficial release date here was the 10th.)

I called EB Games and asked if they had the HD DVD drive in stock, and they gave me the same story... First he said they had lots of the 360 hard drive in stock. Uh, no thanks. Then tried to sell me a PS3 pre-order "because it is the only console to play HD DVD". I asked them to check their computer. "Oh, I didn't know about that. It's being shipped from our distribution centre and should arrive next week."

I then went to Future Shop near work, and asked for the drive. Of course, I was shown the same 360 hard drive. However, he asked his coworker, who knew what it was, but said they didn't have any yet.

Then I went to Best Buy nearby. Same thing. After showing me the hard drive, two of the sales guys tried to get me to come back a week later for the PS3, cuz that's the "only console that will play back hi-def DVD". Of course I politely informed them that the 360 HD DVD drive exists and it's right on their website, and no, the PS3 does not play HD DVD. So they look online and can't find it, so they ask me to search for it on their site, looking at me as if I was some crazed customer who didn't know WTF he was talking about. Wouldn't ya know it... It's gone from the website! Dunno why, but it just wasn't there. I did show them the drive on Xbox.com though, so at least they realized I wasn't crazy. Finally they found a guy who knew about it, but informed me it hadn't arrived yet but was on its way.

The common theme here is that it seems that Sony has done a much better job of educating/hyping their product to the retailers. I don't know how retail works, but I was a little surprised that so few knew about the HD DVD drive, since it's a heluvalot more interesting (to me) than a wireless steering wheel or whatever.

Then again, when I called the Best Buy closest to my home:

Eug: Do you have the Xbox 3....
Salesgirl: Oh, you're calling about the HD DVD drive right?
Eug: <<Shocked>> Wha'? How'd you know?
Salesgirl: We've had a LOT of people coming in or calling to ask about it.
Eug: Cool. So, do you have it?
Salesgirl: Well, it's on its way here, but if we don't get it today, it might not be until Monday.
Eug: Are you taking pre-orders, and if so, am I too late to get one?
Salesgirl: We aren't taking pre-orders, and there's a lot of interest, but you should be able to get one if you come in fairly soon after the shipment arrives. Not sure when the shipment arrives, maybe today, or maybe Monday, but we're getting 60 of them at this store.
Eug: <<Shocked again>>
post #86 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Ordering WinDVD 8 (Japan)

Add 通常版 to your Cart (→ 8,800円)

Vector Check Out - Screen 1

Section 1:

The first two fields require your e-mail address (Does not accept Hotmail)

Field 1: Email
Field 2: Verify Your Email

Section 2:

Click on the link Address not in JAPAN and complete the recipient fields.

Finally, hit the submit button at the bottom of the page.

Vector Check Out- Screen 2

This is your confirmation page.

You will be emailed a link for their payment Gateway (where you will enter your Credit Card info).

Vector Check Out - Payment Link (Via Email)

Section 1:

Do not deselect the option with the red text . This indicates you are paying via Credit Card

Section 2:
Field 1: Enter the name on your CC
Field 2: Enter your CC #
Field 3: Enter the card expiration month
Field 4: Enter the card expiration year

Section 3
Option 1: Registers you as Vector Passport Member
Option 2: Registers your CC for future use.

Section 4
Option 1: Register to receive Vector Newsletter
Option 2: Register to receive HTML Guide

Hit the submit button (gray) and check your email for the software link and serial #

File Size: 275MB

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #87 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post

Hmmm, I wonder if it will work on a Mac.

I doubt it, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, while DVD Player.app supports HD DVD, it does not yet support either VC-1 or ACSS I don't think.

Still you can navigate the disc's file system, cuz Tiger supports UDF 2.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post

Sweet. I have an iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz with GeForce 7600 GT. Even if it doesn't work on the primary screen, it could work over VGA out. Well, since DVD Player.app might not get full HD DVD support any time soon, I might have to install Windows on the iMac to get HD DVD support though, and I'm not keen on doing that. I already have Vista beta on my MacBook, but that machine only has integrated GMA 950 graphics.
post #88 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Can it output True HD in an uncompressed form?
No. The addon re-encodes everything to DD 5.1. Multiple users on AVSForum have stated that the resulting encode is better than DVD audio, and that the TrueHD option on the HD DVD provides even better audio than the DD+. See this post and this one for examples.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it can output TrueHD in an uncompressed form... if it's TrueHD 2.0. The signal would just be sent out over the analogue stereo outputs.

Also, it might help to have another entry, or else an entry that expands on the above:

Can it output Dolby Digital Plus?
No, it reencodes it to Dolby Digital 5.1 for output over Toslink or coax.
post #89 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

Christ! The price of the Video Cards are as much as a 360 console.

Where have you been?
post #90 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

Can it play HD DVD at 1080p via Component?
No. Max HD DVD resolution for Component is 1080i. Over VGA you can get 1080P. (AACS Rules - The XBox 360 is fully capable of 1080p over component)

Does it matter?
No. Film content is 24P, both 1080i and 1080p should display all the information in the individual film frames. A good 1080p display should correctly deinterlace the 1080i signal. See here

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it doesn't matter if the content has been properly flagged. If it hasn't the deinterlacing will not properly recreate the 1080p original. This incorrect flagging seems to be more of a problem with commercial discs than I'd thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page