XBox 360 HD DVD Addon FAQ. Please posts questions here! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I bought it and it's downloading... I think . Navigating those pages was interesting to say the least. We'll see what happens!

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Well, I bought it and it's downloading... I think . Navigating those pages was interesting to say the least. We'll see what happens!

So do you already have a HDCP vid card?

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #93 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 AM

When you put in a HD-DVD...and assuming the system is already turned on...does it automatically start up the movie or do you need to manually press play?
post #94 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post

When you put in a HD-DVD...and assuming the system is already turned on...does it automatically start up the movie or do you need to manually press play?

Not sure, since I have a game in the XB360 drive & when I place a HD-DVD into the HD-DVD, the game plays automatically, so in the dashboard I have to manually play the HD-DVD,

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #95 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh man this could change everything for me in a good way! Do I go for the 8800's? Gulp.
post #96 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, you choose the first option for 8,800 Yen

360/ PS3 GamerTag : DVDVampire

HD-DVD: 181
Blu-Ray: 70
post #97 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^ Man that is ironic! I was thinking the NVidia 8800GTX video card for my HDCP compliant card. And then you mention the 8,800 yen, sounds like a sign from above it I've ever seen one. lol The wife would say it's a sign from the deep south.

My HTPC is a secondary gaming unit though, just did a search fo HDCP at newegg and there are some solid gaming cards with HDCP right at $200, I think I'll go that way.
post #98 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 AM

what is the voltage of the power adapter? Will it works in 220v countries?
post #99 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 AM

Everyone is checking the regular electronic/game chains. If you cant find one hit Toys R Us, which is where i got one this morning. They had a bunch of them
post #100 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntaar View Post

Andreo, is that a homebrew HD DVD or just a copy of a regular DVD?

It's a copy.

Xbox Live: CaptCaveman
PSN: Captcaveman
Wii: some long number that I will never remember. Thanks Nintendo!
post #101 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Mine has auto started as soon as I put the HD-DVD in. Also I have turned the 360 on with a HD movie still in the drive and it went straight to the movie. It seems to behave the same way it would with games or movies placed in the regular drive.
post #102 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have an 8800GTX . And I now have, I believe, a hybrid BD/HD DVD player. I'm going to do some more testing and make sure everything is still working correctly, and then I'll document the entire creation process and how it all works together. It's not exactly the most intuitive system but I think it works! I'm not trying to be a tease, it will likely be Monday evening before I can have everything up. So if you want to try it yourself, then here's what you need:

The Japanese WinDVD release with patches
Altiris' Software Virtualization Personal Edition (free)
XBox HD DVD drive
Blu Ray drive
HDCP compliant video card
Fairly beefy system or a card that can handle the decoding

Use the Altiris software to create virtualization layers of both the HD and BD versions of WinDVD. Activate whichever layer you require for the disk you want to play. It worked for me with the HD DVD drive, and based on that it should work fine with BD. I'll be able to tell you for sure on Monday evening. Is it cheap? Nope. But having a hybrid player feels pretty good.

post #103 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

This post maybe some-what in possible violation? if so' mod's feel free to delete
If you search around you may find a CC save $40 off a $199 purchase in store only and it expires at the end of the month.
I tossed mine in the trash some weeks ago, I found a jpg of it.
Went back to CC this morning and they applied credit back from my HD drive purchase yesterday. This is strictly ymmv since it say's that no reproductions/photo copies.
Nonetheless, my local CC took it without a problem.
I hate paying full retail on anything
post #104 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an 8800GTX . And I now have, I believe, a hybrid BD/HD DVD player. I'm going to do some more testing and make sure everything is still working correctly, and then I'll document the entire creation process and how it all works together. It's not exactly the most intuitive system but I think it works! I'm not trying to be a tease, it will likely be Monday evening before I can have everything up. So if you want to try it yourself, then here's what you need:

The Japanese WinDVD release with patches
Altiris' Software Virtualization Personal Edition (free)
XBox HD DVD drive
Blu Ray drive
HDCP compliant video card
Fairly beefy system or a card that can handle the decoding

Use the Altiris software to create virtualization layers of both the HD and BD versions of WinDVD. Activate whichever layer you require for the disk you want to play. It worked for me with the HD DVD drive, and based on that it should work fine with BD. I'll be able to tell you for sure on Monday evening. Is it cheap? Nope. But having a hybrid player feels pretty good.

Looking forward to it! Enjoy.
post #105 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 AM

Liked: 11
So if you order Windvd 8 Japanese from the website, how much does that cost in USD?

Without GPU acceleration, how fast of a CPU would be required?

Will the Japanese Windvd 8 play HD-DVD over a VGA connection?
post #106 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

About $80. No idea on the CPU or whether it will play over VGA, though I can test the VGA thing at some point.

post #107 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:

About $80. No idea on the CPU or whether it will play over VGA, though I can test the VGA thing at some point.

Ok, when you get around to it let us know if it works over VGA (and what card it is).

Although it wouldn't be definitive, if you get a chance, could you play a movie with hardware acceleration disabled and let us know what your CPU utilization is (and what CPU you have)?
post #108 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I merged several questions together in this FAQ thread. Lets keep it to questions and answers only as there is a 360 Impressions thread for your review/thoughts about the 360 add on drive.

Thanks

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #109 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 07:01 PM

As far as ejecting the disc, here's the behavior. I assume you all know that the tray ("play the game") icon in the dashboard is now split into two? The top is for a game in the Xbox and the bottom is for the HD-DVD drive. If there is a HD Disk in the addon, the only option you will get is to play the movie. if not, you get the option to open the tray. The media remote "open/close" only opens the console tray.

One other thing, I wish there were a way from the dashboard to turn on/off the addon drive. I'm sure it's not taking too much power in idle, but I'd just as soon have it off if i'm not using it. I could unplug it, but, yech.

Jerry
-----
So what?
post #110 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 PM

One additional thing. The player plays SD movies ripped and reburned to DVD +R dl media perfectly. I just wanted to test it. I ripped Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets to a +R Dl TDk disk. I didn't watch the whole thing, only skipped to each chapter and played a couple of minutes from each one. I may have missed the actual layer change, so, I can't say how it handles the change, but I assume just fine.

Jerry
-----
So what?
post #111 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Question.

Now, if I get one of those VGA to Component converters, will it still upconvert DVDs?

The Mole is here.
post #112 of 652 Old 11-11-2006, 11:32 PM

Question: How do I do slow motion or frame advance with the Xbox 360 HDDVD player?
Answer: You can't. (or am I wrong? Is there some button voodoo on the remote that lets me do slowmo or frame by frame? I'd love to be able examine action scenes and special effects, etc.)
post #113 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDog3133 View Post

how do you get the remote that was supplied with the hd dvd drive to open the disk tray on the hd dvd drive. So far i can only get it to open the original 360 drive and not the hd dvd drive.

Just Highlight the HD DVD tray using the arrows on the remote and press OK, the Open/Close button only works for the Xbox360 drive, not the HD DVD Drive
post #114 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

madpoet, where did you get your Windvd-Version from ? Is that simply the version from the japanese webside ? Where to get the patches ? I am looking forward to your report...it is exactly what everybody was waiting for...

-----------------------------------------

madpoet, can you please as well comment on this one from the other forum:

"Update: I was having issues with a few movies last night (King Kong specifically) where it would pause for a split second. I started looking at processes running and removed some software I was not using. After uninstalling my Cyberlink Powerdvd software that came with my Blu-Ray drive, WinDVd would no longer play King Kong. I can only imagine it has to do with the AACS Chris mentioned earlier in this thread. The player still played Van Helsing and a few other HD-DVD's, but not most of my collection.
I am not sure how the Cyberlink software has anything to do with the Intevideo software, but after re-installing it along with the Sony drive Patch King Kong worked again (but still with the same issues stated earlier.)

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up in case you were to try to install the Japanese version alone....
"
post #115 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 AM

Not sure if this question has been answered or not...

Toshiba stand alone players will upconvert copy protection-free DVDs over component. Will the add on do the same?
post #116 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM

I've read the faq, but I was confused about something. I was under the impression that the recent dashboard update allowed 1080p for both vga and component.

So in regards to standard DVDs, can component upconvert to 720p? And do you need the HDDVD add-on to do this? Or is the 360 capable of this by itself due to the update?
post #117 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Hi guys,

I'm from Europe and just can't wait until the HDDVD Player comes out here. I've read that the US HDDVD Drive can be used on a Europe 360 console. So what do I need apart from the drive?

And will I then also be able to watch HDDVDs from Europe on a US HDDVD Drive?

Where should I order the drive to have it the fast possible?
post #118 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Hello,
I apologize in advance for this relatively naive question.
Does anyone know if there is any way to connect the 360 to two video sources?

I have an old HDTV with only component inputs that I'd like to use for Gaming and casual DVD watching and I have a PLV-Z3 that I'd like to hook up via component (or VGA) for use with the HD-DVD add-on. However, it seems that the xbox 360 (with or without the add-on) can only output 1 video signal at a time.

Other than continually plugging in and unplugging cables from source to source, is there anyway to get output to two different sources and switch between them. Maybe there's a receiver or splitter or something than can provide 2 HD video outputs from one HD video input?

Any help is appreciated to this newbie!
Thanks,
Kevin

B.T.W King Kong and VfV look great from HD-DVD add-on (component) through the Z3!
post #119 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex4788 View Post

I've read the faq, but I was confused about something. I was under the impression that the recent dashboard update allowed 1080p for both vga and component.

So in regards to standard DVDs, can component upconvert to 720p? And do you need the HDDVD add-on to do this? Or is the 360 capable of this by itself due to the update?

I updated the FAQ to make it more clear. The resolution for DVD and HD DVD over component has nothing to do with the resolutions the XBox is capable of. It's a legal requirement due to AACS and CSS rules.
post #120 of 652 Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

I updated the FAQ to make it more clear. The resolution for DVD and HD DVD over component has nothing to do with the resolutions the XBox is capable of. It's a legal requirement due to AACS and CSS rules.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

One more question if you don't mind. If I still plan to use the 360 as a dvd player (I know, people say it sucks because of no upconverting)....will I benefit in PQ at all if my hdtv has it's own video processing technique? I got this from the product's webpage:

Quote:

Advanced Pure Cinema with 3:3 pull down, film-based material on DVD, videotape or even regular TV will match the smooth and nature reproduction seen in a movie Theater

Seeing as how my tv can accept 480p, I gather it'll upconvert that to my native 720p (as assigned on the 360), correct? Just wondering cause if I can just save money doing this, instead of buying another upconverter player...I'll stick with this.

Sorry if it was a bit off-topic, I'm sorta bummed since it's sorta ruined my plans on buying this add-on.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page