AVS Forum banner

XBox 360 HD DVD Addon FAQ. Please posts questions here!

151K views 651 replies 307 participants last post by  Caffinetron 
#1 ·
Looking at the "one and only HD DVD addon thread", there are a lot of questions that come up time and time again. I think it would be pretty helpful if we answer them all in a single place.

Playing HD DVD

Can it play HD DVD at 1080p via Component?

No. Max HD DVD resolution for Component is 1080i. Over VGA or HDMI you can get 1080P. Note that this doesn't mean the 360 cannot do 1080p over component, it can. AACS rules limit the max resolution of a HD DVD over component to 1080i. Your XBox will automatically switch resolution to 1080i if you have it set to 1080p when you play a HD DVD.

Does it matter?

No. Film content is 24P, both 1080i and 1080p should display all the information in the individual film frames. A good 1080p display should correctly deinterlace the 1080i signal. See here .

Can it output 1080p24/48/72 directly?

Not at this time. Amir suggests that this could be provided at some point in the future. Until then you're stuck with motion judder, unless you have a really good video processor that supports a 24 multiple.

How is the picture quality compared to the HD-A1?

Anecdotal evidence so far suggests it is about equal.

Can it output True HD or DD+ in an uncompressed form?

No. The addon re-encodes everything to your choice of DD, DTS, or WMA Pro.

Which is better? DD, DTS, or WMA Pro?

Hard to tell, on different equipment, and depending on your personal preference, any of those may sound better than the others. Theoretically, WMA Pro should give you the best quality, if you have a receiver capable of decoding it (Pioneer receivers, I believe). You should choose whichever sounds best to you.

I chose the DTS option, but my receiver reports it as Dolby Digital

Yes. All audio tracks get re-encoded as the codec you choose.

The sound is terrible! There's no dynamic range!. SD DVDs sound better!

Yes, it appears that due to a dolby requirement, the original software release forced a compressed dynamics mode on all DD+ decodes. You need to get the latest update from xbox.com or off XBox live. (The update will automatically download and install if you are connected to Live, and you try to play a disc)

I got the update, but there are no audio settings in the Dash that let me choose DTS

The settings are not in the dash, they're in the player itself. Play a HD DVD, while it is playing, press B on your gamepad and select "Advanced" (Or press "Display" on your remote). Choose the "Digital Audio Settings" button to get to the correct settings dialog.

Does it play homebrew HD DVD's written to DVD +/- media? Dual Layer?

This has been confirmed by some users. It will play HD DVD formatted DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

Playing SD DVD

Does it upconvert Standard Def DVD over VGA/HDMI?

Yes. It will upconvert a SD DVD to a max of 1080p over VGA or HDMI.

Does it upconvert Standard Def DVD over Component?

No. The max resolution for SD DVD over Component is 480p. This is a CSS rule. Over component, your SD DVDs will be 480p no matter what resolution your dash is at.

Does a regular DVD look different on the Addon compared to the internal drive?

No.

Connections

Is there an HDMI option?

Not unless you have a XBox 360 Elite.

Can we get 5.1 LPCM through HDMI with the Elite?

No, the Elite apparently cannot pass a 5.1 LPCM signal. You can get 2.0 LPCM, or the same compressed streams you get out of the optical.

What about ICT?

If a disc has the ICT flag, it will be displayed in a degraded form over analog connections. No current HD DVDs have this flag, and the studios have mentioned that they do not have any plans to turn this flag on in the near future.

I have it connected by VGA, but the colors are all washed out!

That's not technically a question, but yes, some TVs expect PC levels (0-255) in their VGA input, and the 360 sends video levels (16-235) by default. The result is that a video black (RGB 16,16,16) looks gray, and white (235,235,235) looks grayer too. If you have this problem, you may be able to solve it by making sure you have the latest Dash update, and then finding the VGA levels setting. Try setting it to Expanded.

Does it need to be attached to the 360 to play movies?

Yes. It's just a drive. The 360 does all the hard work.

Will it work on a PC?

Some AVS members have connected it to their PCs with varying results. It recognises as a Drive on XP, on some machines, the HD DVD filesystem can be read (if your PC supports UDF 2 - 2.5). On Vista it recognises fine and discs can be read. Someone has successfully played a standard def DVD off it on a PC.

Will it play HD DVDs on a PC?

Yes. See this post and the rest of that thread. There are a lot of hoops to jump through, and you need a pretty beefy machine, but it is definately possible. I believe a number of the official software players now support it too. Note that this function is not supported at all by Microsoft.

Troubleshooting

I got the Addon but it looks terrible and squashed on my TV (connected with VGA)

Go into your XBox settings blade and set your resolution to the highest your display will support. Also (if needed) set the aspect ratio correctly for the type of your Display. The default resolution for the VGA cable when you first plug it in is 640x480. User emonsh suggests that the best setting for VGA is the one closest to the true resolution of your display, so try that if you're having quality issues.

What are those black bars at the top and bottom of my movie? Is my addon busted? (No... really... a lot of people ask this. If someone invents an AVSForum Drinking game, you should have to down your drink everytime someone asks this)

No, your addon is not busted. It's your TV. For some reason, your TV is finding it hard to bend space sufficiently to convert your 16:9 TV into a 2.35:1 version. This is not surprising. A simple application of Relativity shows that the TV would have to be travelling up past you at 0.65C (or 121800 miles per second) to achieve this contraction in the vertical direction (the speed for a 4:3 TV is left as an exercise for the reader). It would be difficult to watch a movie like this. When it fails at this task, it is forced to compensate by displaying black bars at the top and bottom of your screen. This site shows some examples.

Can you make the remote eject button eject the addon, and not the console tray?

Apparently not. The Eject button appears to only eject the console tray. Why do you need this functionality? It's not like you don't need to get up to change discs anyway

I installed the update, and tried to play a movie, but it stutters and behaves horribly

Try a full reboot of your console. A number of members have reported that power cycling the console when this happens fixes the problem.

General

Is it loud?

There are conflicting views on this so far. Some users say it is loud, others say it is almost silent. If you think your 360 playing DVD or at the Dash is loud, then you will probably think it is loud.

How many have been sold?

No clue, but you can go to this thread and see how many AVS'ers have them (or add yourself)

Will the US version work in the UK/Wherever

Yes according to Amir . All you need, apparently is a US->UK plug adaptor. Note that a US HD DVD addon used on a UK console will not play region 1 (US) SD DVD discs. Region control is a function of the console, not the drive.

What are the load times compared to the HD-A1?

Load times are much shorter than the HD-A1. From the Dash, with the disc already in the drive, startup time is less than 9 seconds. If you have to insert the disc, it's around 20 seconds.

For comparison, the time to first video when inserting a disc into the HD-A1 is about 1 minute, 15 seconds.

I keep getting online notifications while watching a movie! How do I turn them off?

It is possible to turn off notifications while movies are playing, but the method to do so is a little obfuscated. It's not in the system blade, and it's not in your gamer profile.

Method: Hit the Guide button (the silver one with the stylized green X), navigate down to "Personal Settings" and hit "OK" or the A button. Now navigate down to "Notifications" and hit OK, navigate down to "Show During Movies" and hit OK to deselect it. Now you can hit "B" repeatedly to exit.

Is there some way to have movies play at 1080i/p and games at 720p

Yes. Go into the system blade and switch resolutions when you play movies. There is, unfortunately, no way currently to do that automatically.

Can I put game discs into the HD DVD addon and play games from it?

No. There's nothing stopping you physically putting game discs into the drive, (just like you could also put a slice of cheese, or a round piece of sandpaper), but the game will not play from that drive. It would be nifty to be able to switch between two games, but alas, that is not possible.

Any other questions I should add? I'll start adding links to reviews too as they start coming out.

Reviews
DVDTown.com
Krunker.com
Gamespot.com
PC Perspective
hidef.com
User Reviews (Off Forum)
http://aroganworld.blogspot.com/2006...dvd-drive.html
Forum Reviews
DPowers
DMRSX
RAVEN56706

Links
Official HD DVD Addon page at Xbox.com

(Note I'm not doing this in any official MS capacity. I'm doing this as an AVSForum member who has seen the same questions go past 20 times on the other threads.)
Answer to relativity problem posed above: 0.82C, or 153000 miles/s

See less See more
#102 ·
I have an 8800GTX
. And I now have, I believe, a hybrid BD/HD DVD player. I'm going to do some more testing and make sure everything is still working correctly, and then I'll document the entire creation process and how it all works together. It's not exactly the most intuitive system but I think it works!
I'm not trying to be a tease, it will likely be Monday evening before I can have everything up. So if you want to try it yourself, then here's what you need:

The Japanese WinDVD release with patches

Altiris' Software Virtualization Personal Edition (free)

XBox HD DVD drive

Blu Ray drive

HDCP compliant video card

Fairly beefy system or a card that can handle the decoding

Use the Altiris software to create virtualization layers of both the HD and BD versions of WinDVD. Activate whichever layer you require for the disk you want to play. It worked for me with the HD DVD drive, and based on that it should work fine with BD. I'll be able to tell you for sure on Monday evening. Is it cheap? Nope. But having a hybrid player feels pretty good.

#103 ·
This post maybe some-what in possible violation? if so' mod's feel free to delete

If you search around you may find a CC save $40 off a $199 purchase in store only and it expires at the end of the month.

I tossed mine in the trash some weeks ago, I found a jpg of it.

Went back to CC this morning and they applied credit back from my HD drive purchase yesterday. This is strictly ymmv since it say's that no reproductions/photo copies.

Nonetheless, my local CC took it without a problem.

I hate paying full retail on anything

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/0

I have an 8800GTX
. And I now have, I believe, a hybrid BD/HD DVD player. I'm going to do some more testing and make sure everything is still working correctly, and then I'll document the entire creation process and how it all works together. It's not exactly the most intuitive system but I think it works!
I'm not trying to be a tease, it will likely be Monday evening before I can have everything up. So if you want to try it yourself, then here's what you need:

The Japanese WinDVD release with patches

Altiris' Software Virtualization Personal Edition (free)

XBox HD DVD drive

Blu Ray drive

HDCP compliant video card

Fairly beefy system or a card that can handle the decoding

Use the Altiris software to create virtualization layers of both the HD and BD versions of WinDVD. Activate whichever layer you require for the disk you want to play. It worked for me with the HD DVD drive, and based on that it should work fine with BD. I'll be able to tell you for sure on Monday evening. Is it cheap? Nope. But having a hybrid player feels pretty good.

Looking forward to it! Enjoy.

#106 ·
About $80. No idea on the CPU or whether it will play over VGA, though I can test the VGA thing at some point.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/0

About $80. No idea on the CPU or whether it will play over VGA, though I can test the VGA thing at some point.

Ok, when you get around to it let us know if it works over VGA (and what card it is).

Although it wouldn't be definitive, if you get a chance, could you play a movie with hardware acceleration disabled and let us know what your CPU utilization is (and what CPU you have)?

#108 ·
I merged several questions together in this FAQ thread. Lets keep it to questions and answers only as there is a 360 Impressions thread for your review/thoughts about the 360 add on drive.

Thanks

#109 ·
As far as ejecting the disc, here's the behavior. I assume you all know that the tray ("play the game") icon in the dashboard is now split into two? The top is for a game in the Xbox and the bottom is for the HD-DVD drive. If there is a HD Disk in the addon, the only option you will get is to play the movie. if not, you get the option to open the tray. The media remote "open/close" only opens the console tray.

One other thing, I wish there were a way from the dashboard to turn on/off the addon drive. I'm sure it's not taking too much power in idle, but I'd just as soon have it off if i'm not using it. I could unplug it, but, yech.

#110 ·
One additional thing. The player plays SD movies ripped and reburned to DVD +R dl media perfectly. I just wanted to test it. I ripped Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets to a +R Dl TDk disk. I didn't watch the whole thing, only skipped to each chapter and played a couple of minutes from each one. I may have missed the actual layer change, so, I can't say how it handles the change, but I assume just fine.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDog3133 /forum/post/0

how do you get the remote that was supplied with the hd dvd drive to open the disk tray on the hd dvd drive. So far i can only get it to open the original 360 drive and not the hd dvd drive.

Just Highlight the HD DVD tray using the arrows on the remote and press OK, the Open/Close button only works for the Xbox360 drive, not the HD DVD Drive

#114 ·
madpoet, where did you get your Windvd-Version from ? Is that simply the version from the japanese webside ? Where to get the patches ? I am looking forward to your report...it is exactly what everybody was waiting for...

-----------------------------------------

madpoet, can you please as well comment on this one from the other forum:

"Update: I was having issues with a few movies last night (King Kong specifically) where it would pause for a split second. I started looking at processes running and removed some software I was not using. After uninstalling my Cyberlink Powerdvd software that came with my Blu-Ray drive, WinDVd would no longer play King Kong. I can only imagine it has to do with the AACS Chris mentioned earlier in this thread. The player still played Van Helsing and a few other HD-DVD's, but not most of my collection.

I am not sure how the Cyberlink software has anything to do with the Intevideo software, but after re-installing it along with the Sony drive Patch King Kong worked again (but still with the same issues stated earlier.)

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up in case you were to try to install the Japanese version alone....

"

#116 ·
I've read the faq, but I was confused about something. I was under the impression that the recent dashboard update allowed 1080p for both vga and component.

So in regards to standard DVDs, can component upconvert to 720p? And do you need the HDDVD add-on to do this? Or is the 360 capable of this by itself due to the update?

#117 ·
Hi guys,

I'm from Europe and just can't wait until the HDDVD Player comes out here. I've read that the US HDDVD Drive can be used on a Europe 360 console. So what do I need apart from the drive?

And will I then also be able to watch HDDVDs from Europe on a US HDDVD Drive?

Where should I order the drive to have it the fast possible?

#118 ·
Hello,

I apologize in advance for this relatively naive question.

Does anyone know if there is any way to connect the 360 to two video sources?

I have an old HDTV with only component inputs that I'd like to use for Gaming and casual DVD watching and I have a PLV-Z3 that I'd like to hook up via component (or VGA) for use with the HD-DVD add-on. However, it seems that the xbox 360 (with or without the add-on) can only output 1 video signal at a time.

Other than continually plugging in and unplugging cables from source to source, is there anyway to get output to two different sources and switch between them. Maybe there's a receiver or splitter or something than can provide 2 HD video outputs from one HD video input?

Any help is appreciated to this newbie!

Thanks,

Kevin

B.T.W King Kong and VfV look great from HD-DVD add-on (component) through the Z3!

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex4788 /forum/post/0

I've read the faq, but I was confused about something. I was under the impression that the recent dashboard update allowed 1080p for both vga and component.

So in regards to standard DVDs, can component upconvert to 720p? And do you need the HDDVD add-on to do this? Or is the 360 capable of this by itself due to the update?

I updated the FAQ to make it more clear. The resolution for DVD and HD DVD over component has nothing to do with the resolutions the XBox is capable of. It's a legal requirement due to AACS and CSS rules.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian /forum/post/0

I updated the FAQ to make it more clear. The resolution for DVD and HD DVD over component has nothing to do with the resolutions the XBox is capable of. It's a legal requirement due to AACS and CSS rules.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

One more question if you don't mind. If I still plan to use the 360 as a dvd player (I know, people say it sucks because of no upconverting)....will I benefit in PQ at all if my hdtv has it's own video processing technique? I got this from the product's webpage:

Quote:
Advanced Pure Cinema with 3:3 pull down, film-based material on DVD, videotape or even regular TV will match the smooth and nature reproduction seen in a movie Theater

Seeing as how my tv can accept 480p, I gather it'll upconvert that to my native 720p (as assigned on the 360), correct? Just wondering cause if I can just save money doing this, instead of buying another upconverter player...I'll stick with this.

Sorry if it was a bit off-topic, I'm sorta bummed since it's sorta ruined my plans on buying this add-on.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder87 /forum/post/0

Hi guys,

I'm from Europe and just can't wait until the HDDVD Player comes out here. I've read that the US HDDVD Drive can be used on a Europe 360 console. So what do I need apart from the drive?

And will I then also be able to watch HDDVDs from Europe on a US HDDVD Drive?

Where should I order the drive to have it the fast possible?

AIUI HD-DVDs are currently region-free so will play with a US HD-DVD drive connected to a European 360.

HOWEVER - the US HD-DVD drive IS I believe regionally coded when it comes to regular DVDs. Of course if you have a European 360, then you can replay Region 2 DVDs using the 360 DVD player?

#123 ·
Anyone figure out how to zoom from the HD-DVD remote that came with it? I wish the manual explained in a bit more detail, what does what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.