XBox 360 HD DVD Addon FAQ. Please posts questions here! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey.

I have the 360 HD-DVD drive, really liking it too. The quality is incredible, especially on faces.

Right now I have a 19" LCD monitor and a 42" 1080i HDTV.

So, on the monitor, I hook up my 360 via VGA, choose 1280x1024, and the movies play back at 720p (I assume) and they look good, albeit small.

On my TV, they look good too, at 1080i, through Component.

However, what I'm getting at is, I want to get a Dell 2407FPW monitor, which has a resolution of 1920x1200. If I plug in my 360 via VGA, this monitor will not do 1:1, and will fill the 1920x1080 to 1920x1080, therefore not maintaining the aspect ratio. For games, I do not mind, but for HD-DVD movies, this is a major issue. (Any solutions or workarounds would be of great help.)

The other alternate would be to hook up my HD-DVD to my computer, which would also plug into the monitor via DVI. My issue here is, from what I've read, WinDVD8 will only do 540p, and not 1080p? So, if that is the case, there isn't much point in getting a monitor which can handle a resolution of 1080p if the software cannot output as such. Whether this *is* a software issue, driver issue, or hardware issue, I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've read, it seems like WinDVD8 will not output at 1080p as of yet.

Any help on both these situations would be great, because I'd love to see HD-DVD movies at 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
It won't ouput 1080P unless you have an HDCP compliant video card and HDCP compliant monitor.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #183 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It won't ouput 1080P unless you have an HDCP compliant video card and HDCP compliant monitor.

Well, afaik the Dell 2407FPW is HDCP compliant, but I don't think my nVidia eVGA 7800GT is HDCP compliant. I guess at least if I get the monitor, I can do 1080i through Component on the monitor.

(I'd prefer it on my monitor, only because I have my Logitech Z680's hooked up there with the 360 Optical Audio cable, and I have no surround sound system for my 42" TV)
post #184 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Would like to report back here in regards to the HD-DVD addon, windows reports (during the installation of the xbx360 hd-dvd) that it found "xbox 360 HD DVD memory unit" two times, disabling it doesn't affect the drive. Uninstalling it makes windows "re-detect it". Running 3Dmark 2006 when the drive has power creates an "IRQ DRIVER NOT LESS OR EQUAL" Blue screen of death. There are no IRQ conflicts in the actual windows device manager, if anyone has any solution to this I would appreciate it.
post #185 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to make the player resume the movie after being powered off???
post #186 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Windvd8 hd dvd pack won't output 1080p on any output regardless of what you have. They don't have confidence and don't want to be sued by AACS, so much so that they enforce 540p all the way.

HDPLEX
post #187 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM

I already have the 360. Thinking of buying the addon, or the toshiba. I have panasonic 50" plasma. I have downloaded some trailers from xbox live marketplace. All the trailers I have donwloaded were the 720 version. I noticed some downloads look better than others. 1- How true are these demo downloads? 2- Do HD dvd's look better through the addon vs. the downloads? I also have a sony dvd player that upscales. 3- How much better will a true HD player look vs a upscaling player.

Also I am not too familiar with true HD sourround. Is this something that is in the encoding of the software that my current DD reciever will output. I have a Denon 3801, and if so is this transfered through optical outputs, or discrete analog.

Thanks for any help
post #188 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dolby TrueHD has to be decoded by the player and sent via either multi-channel analog or HDMI to the processor already decoded.

Not to much of an issue as the player will also convert it to high bit rate DTS and send over the standard non hdmi digital audio connections the stand alone 1st gen players, and as low bit rate DD from the 360 system.
post #189 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

Windvd8 hd dvd pack won't output 1080p on any output regardless of what you have. They don't have confidence and don't want to be sued by AACS, so much so that they enforce 540p all the way.

So this is a software restraint then. Will we ever see 1080p on XP/Vista with the HD-DVD drive?
post #190 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

So I check Circuit City's website earlier today and I see my local store has them in stock. I drive on down to the store. Here is the actual exchange with the young man working at CC.

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360

CCemployee: AH...the what?

Me: I'm looking for the HD-DVD add on for the xbox360. Your website says you have it in stock.

CCemployee: Ah gee...( walks over to XBOX stuff...picks up a remote) is this it?

Me: No it is a HD-DVD player.

CCEmployee: Gee I am not sure what that is...let me ask someone.

CCEmployee#2: Sir there is no such thing....

Me: Yes there is. It is the hottest add on for the Xbox360...and you have them in the back where your shipment from today is stored.

CCEmployee: Xbox360 cannot play HD-DVD's.

Me: Can I use your store computer to show you that you are worng?

CCEMployee: sure ( walks me to computer)

I pull up the HD-DVD add on from their website. The Employees look at each other and start mumbling....one writes down the item number and goes to the back storage area.

Walks out with a look of amazement..." yes we have 4 of these back there...wow...look at this ( as reads the box)...passes it to the other employee...who then calls another employee over...all are amazed that such a device exists...they had never heard of it. They call the manager over....he is amazed...they are all fondling the box like it is the Holy Grail.

The Manager exclaims " well...we gotta get these out on the floor!!!!"

I purchase it and walk out....

Between Best Buy and CC I am never at a loss for pure entertainment.

That is the funniest post I have ever heard. I had almost the exact same experience when I went to buy the wireless headset at Best Buy.
post #191 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutner View Post

Well, afaik the Dell 2407FPW is HDCP compliant, but I don't think my nVidia eVGA 7800GT is HDCP compliant. I guess at least if I get the monitor, I can do 1080i through Component on the monitor.

(I'd prefer it on my monitor, only because I have my Logitech Z680's hooked up there with the 360 Optical Audio cable, and I have no surround sound system for my 42" TV)

I am pretty sure the Dell 2407 is NOT HDCP compliant, maybe the 3007 is but I am not sure about that. Having used the component inputs on my 2407 I can say the PQ is terrible. The only 2 connections you should use on the 2407 are the VGA and the DVI. The component is usable but not nice to look at.
post #192 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctus1765 View Post

That is the funniest post I have ever heard. I had almost the exact same experience when I went to buy the wireless headset at Best Buy.

This last Friday I had exactly the same experience at CC here in Santa Barbara. Fortunately I had printed out the Internet CC website showing it "in stock" in SB.
I also used the $40 coupon, which wouldn't scan but supervisor OKed. Great HD add-on, hats off to Bill Gates.
post #193 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

I am pretty sure the Dell 2407 is NOT HDCP compliant, maybe the 3007 is but I am not sure about that. Having used the component inputs on my 2407 I can say the PQ is terrible. The only 2 connections you should use on the 2407 are the VGA and the DVI. The component is usable but not nice to look at.

According to google, the 2407 does have HDCP via DVI.

Component isn't that good though, eh? Shame
post #194 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Anyone?????
post #195 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how I can toggle from watching a HD DVD to game play on the 360 using the remote? Is there a "shift" key that allows one to control the add on's drive bay?

With my system, In my room, to my ears......
post #196 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM

The demos are only a shadow of what you'll see from an HD-DVD. The demo bitrates are fairly low to allow for streaming, which has a significant impact on quality. Full fledge movie downloads from the marketplace will look much closer to HD-DVD, since the 6 Mbps average bitrate for 720p30 is actually quite good -- nearly as good as the 12-25 Mbps average rate for 1080p24 used for HD-DVD.

Of course, we're talking 1080p versus 720p here, which may or may not be a huge difference depending on your display. I'm assuming that's a 768p plasma, in which 720p would be great. Still, the HD-DVD addon is more economical, easier (waiting for a DL is no fun), and sane than going all out with marketplace "for rent only" movie downloads.

Compared to an upscaling player, the difference is very noticable. Less compression artifacts, higher resolution, and an overall better experience with features like HDi. If you have the time, take a look at the LOTR SD versus HD review over at videophile.info. Keep in mind that such is comparring SD-DVD to cable HDTV, as well, and HD-DVDs are better than cable HDTV.

Concerning sound, there are several new HD sound formats on HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Unfortunately, all of these formats require more bandwidth than that provided by your standard SPDIF coax or optical link. The three methods that can be used, therefore, are the following:

1. The audio can be re-encoded by the player into a lower bitrate format that can be transmitted by SPDIF. This can be either 660 Kbps DD or 1.5 Mbps DTS. This approach works with standard receivers. The 1.5 Mbps case is quite good and stills provides an audio quality higher than SD-DVD.

2. The audio can be sent across HDMI (which has the bandwidth).

3. The audio can be converted into analog and sent out over 5.1 analog channels like one would use for SACD or DVD-Audio.

The HD-DVD add-on can only do #1. At present, it also only re-encodes to 660 Kbps DD. Several of the Microsoft guys on this forum, however, have mentioned that DTS encoding is something they'd like to look into. If DTS encoding support is eventually implemented, it would only require a future, free dashboard update to get working on your 360/HD-DVD setup.

I hope this answers your questions. All of this information can be found in other threads in this and other sections on this forum, however, so feel free to go look around if you want more in-depth info.
post #197 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

post #198 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, but that software isn't available to us mere mortals

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #199 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the US/Canadian version of the HD-DVD add-on would work with an Asian XBOX 360 unit? I know the Japanese HD-DVD add=on unit would work but I prefer to have the remote in English.
post #200 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklayn View Post

The demos are only a shadow of what you'll see from an HD-DVD. The demo bitrates are fairly low to allow for streaming, which has a significant impact on quality. Full fledge movie downloads from the marketplace will look much closer to HD-DVD, since the 6 Mbps average bitrate for 720p30 is actually quite good -- nearly as good as the 12-25 Mbps average rate for 1080p24 used for HD-DVD.

Of course, we're talking 1080p versus 720p here, which may or may not be a huge difference depending on your display. I'm assuming that's a 768p plasma, in which 720p would be great. Still, the HD-DVD addon is more economical, easier (waiting for a DL is no fun), and sane than going all out with marketplace "for rent only" movie downloads.

Compared to an upscaling player, the difference is very noticable. Less compression artifacts, higher resolution, and an overall better experience with features like HDi. If you have the time, take a look at the LOTR SD versus HD review over at videophile.info. Keep in mind that such is comparring SD-DVD to cable HDTV, as well, and HD-DVDs are better than cable HDTV.

Concerning sound, there are several new HD sound formats on HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Unfortunately, all of these formats require more bandwidth than that provided by your standard SPDIF coax or optical link. The three methods that can be used, therefore, are the following:

1. The audio can be re-encoded by the player into a lower bitrate format that can be transmitted by SPDIF. This can be either 660 Kbps DD or 1.5 Mbps DTS. This approach works with standard receivers. The 1.5 Mbps case is quite good and stills provides an audio quality higher than SD-DVD.

3. The audio can be converted into analog and sent out over 5.1 analog channels like one would use for SACD or DVD-Audio.

The HD-DVD add-on can only do #1. At present, it also only re-encodes to 660 Kbps DD. Several of the Microsoft guys on this forum, however, have mentioned that DTS encoding is something they'd like to look into. If DTS encoding support is eventually implemented, it would only require a future, free dashboard update to get working on your 360/HD-DVD setup.

I hope this answers your questions. All of this information can be found in other threads in this and other sections on this forum, however, so feel free to go look around if you want more in-depth info.

yes, that helps. thanks for your reply
post #201 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklayn View Post

i am watching war of the world right now, just sd not hd and i was able to select dts on the dvd. my receiver is onkyo sr600 and it shows a dts signal.if i read your comment i was under the impression the 360 add on couldnt do dts thru optical, but mine is. is dts prefered over dd. thx i know the video of hd pretty good but a beginner at audio.i am quite pleased at the upconverting of the 360. is easily as good as hbohd. but the hd movies are great. have only watched kk and the eagles farewell. m.i. comes tommorow.
post #202 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

still doesn't explain why the audio has no dynamics, should sound better then standard dvd but it sounds worse then a 128kb mp3.
post #203 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capfacsurf View Post

Does anyone know how I can toggle from watching a HD DVD to game play on the 360 using the remote? Is there a "shift" key that allows one to control the add on's drive bay?

I don't think that's supported but it would be great idea for an update. As it is I think we have to reload the dashboard to go load the game.

I'm sure they couldn't keep the game loaded in memory but they could probably "hibernate" it's status similar to a laptop and similar for the hd-dvd.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #204 of 652 Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Yes, but that software isn't available to us mere mortals

If they are reviewing it my guess is it is close to being released, I understand they just got final approval of official HD DVD support so that could be why the delay

John
post #205 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeed6 View Post

still doesn't explain why the audio has no dynamics, should sound better then standard dvd but it sounds worse then a 128kb mp3.

you aren't kidding, the dolby digital tracks sounds like they have absolutely no dynamic range out of the 360 hd-dvd player. it's a real shame and i hope they fix this SOON.
post #206 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 03:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDoctor View Post

If they are reviewing it my guess is it is close to being released, I understand they just got final approval of official HD DVD support so that could be why the delay

John

Cyberlink told me sometime first quarter next year.

post #207 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Would it be possible to buy the VGA cable then stick one of these on the end of it? (this particular model would have to be "coupled" because its male VGA.

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/...LE-p-16189.html

Basically - buy a VGA cable and convert it back to component? My TV has a DVI input, but my custom installation currently only has component running to the television, and it's a long run.

I know that the HD-DVD/built in DVD doesn't do 1080i upconversion over component (from reading various threads as well as testing it myself), but will thru VGA. Has anyone tried this "cheat"?????
post #208 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
can anyone let me know if I purchase the windvd japanese version, how does that work with updates, etc?

trueimage
post #209 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

haven't been any updates, so who knows.

post #210 of 652 Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok I bit the bullet and bought the WinDVD 8 software anyway.

But I can't figure out how to download it.

I am at a page that has a password box and a button, everything I've tried brings me to an error page with one button that takes me back to the password prompt.

Can someone tell me what I put in there to download the software?

trueimage
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page