one and only 360 HD-DVD Drive thread & LINKS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have a 720p native DLP. Running some quick tests it seems that HD-DVD output at 1080i looks better than at 720p. The same test for Gears of War though yeilded difference results, the game looks blurry in 1080i...

It would be great if there is an option in the future to set a different HD-DVD movie output resolution from game resolution. This would be very helpful as switching all the time will start to get tedious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Watched my first full length HD DVD movie with the 360 HDDVD, Under Seige (rental from Blockbuster).
Performance was flawless, not a stutter, no synch problems.
post #273 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post

I also have a 720p native DLP. Running some quick tests it seems that HD-DVD output at 1080i looks better than at 720p. The same test for Gears of War though yeilded difference results, the game looks blurry in 1080i...

It would be great if there is an option in the future to set a different HD-DVD movie output resolution from game resolution. This would be very helpful as switching all the time will start to get tedious.

on my sony E2000, it looks noticably sharper at 1080i. Maybe its the scalier. But I notice that at 1080i on PGR3 in the cone dodging level it blurs so much i can't make out the cones.
post #274 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_riginal View Post

I'm debating on buying this drive, as I've gotten my hands on that $40 coupon for Circuit City, so the temptation is stronger than ever, lol.

My question is, should I even bother? I have a 50 inch Sony KDF-E2000, which only goes up to 1080i, not 1080p. Since I am unable to reach the full potential of the HD-DVD drive, I'm not sure if I should even buy the drive, and wondering if I should just stick with my upconverting NS75H Sony.

Any thoughts?

I have a 55in E2000 and sitting from 10ft I was blown away at the picture quality, better than any hd channel I've seen. I also have a ns75h sony dvd player not even in the same leauge compared to the hddvd player.
post #275 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I notice more deinterlacing anomalies on the 360 drive compared to the A1. I no longer have the A1 but I can easily see jaggies in 2f2f that I did not notice as much with the Tosh. Can anyone do some ABing to compare? Otherwise, I am very impressed with it's performance.
post #276 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

It actually has a DTS track. I watched it with the DTS and it sounded great.

Do you think the DTS track is better than the DD+ track? Like I said in my post, I was completely happy with the DD+ audio on Aeon Flux through the Xbox360 add-on, downconversion to DD and all.

I have a Yamaha 5960 driving Athena F2.2/C1.2/IC-8 speakers with an SVS sub.
post #277 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Liked: 13
Already had the XBOX 360 so the HD-DVD add-on was not a hard decision.

My system consists of the following
A Sharp 9000 DLP (720p native 16x9) front projector (no HDMI, no 1080P)
Screen 106 inch Daylight
Dedicated, light controlled HT, with two rows of seating.
Pioneer receiver VSX 1014TX
Monitor Audio Speakers (6)
Velodyne ULD-15 (old!) subwoofer
2 Clark-Synthesis Tactile Transducers.
Viewed; King Kong, Apollo 13 and MI:3

I normally sit center back row, 14.5 ft from the screen, when I watch SD-DVDs. It was easy to see the HD-DVD PQ improvement from there. I moved to the front row (11.5 ft from the screen) and the PQ was still impressive and, of course, a larger field of view. In fact, the PQ with HD-DVD was far better in the front row than was SD-DVD from the back row.
I noticed much improved resolution and color. Detected NO compression artifacts of any type; a very smooth, film-like presentation.
I thought the colors tended to be a bit too red, so I dropped the red gain on the projector. This seems to work for now, until I get the DVE HD-DVD calibration disc.
Overall, the PQ is very impressive.

Sound: Very immersive, full sound, particularly with KK. Noticed NO audio synch problems or lack of bass. Will need to recalibrate the receiver as I plan to sit in the front row from now on!

Even without 1080p or TrueHD capability, this was a very worthwhile addition to the HT.

Anil
" Too low they build, who build beneath the stars" Edward Young
http://emergentcomplexity.org/Anil_Rao_Scientific_Illustrations/Biology.html
post #278 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my HD DVD add on today and I love it! King Kong looks absolutely fantastic. I have a Sony RP LCD set and I set the 360 to 720p. I tried 1080i (like some other people have done) and I noticed no difference in movies, but the picture looked kind of blurry in the X360 dashboard, so I just changed it back to 720p.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #279 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Doug Schiller, You got a Blockbuster that rents HD-DVDs? May I ask what city you are in. My local one here in Seattle is not sure exactly how may High Def formats there are much less renting them.

"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West
post #280 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 PM

Just curious, does everyone who bought the HD DVD also have VGA connections for their displays? I understand that at launch, no titles in the HD library are currently being "copy protected" with the down-rezing over component cables. I'm sure that in the future, this is going to be quite common though, no?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from everything that I have read, popular opinion says this is the way it is going to go.
I really want to go out and get this thing tomorrow, but if/when studios do start to code discs this way, I'm left with a useless piece of equipment since I don't have a VGA connection. Well, I suppose I could continually watch KK over and over again, but I digress..
I really wish MS would just make an HDMI connection if it's possible. I don't understand what their deal is.
post #281 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Well I finally got mine hooked up today and WOW!!! HD-DVD is amazing looking. I only watched like the first 20 minutes or so of KK and I was just blown away. I watch a lot of HDTV and this actually looks better since there is no macroblocking in certain fast scenes .

Audio is not really blowing me away. I will have to put in a disc I own on DVD to be sure, but KK sounded ok but there was something missing from what I am use to. I will put in Apollo 13 to check the sound. I have that on DVD 2x (regular and Superbit with DTS track) so I know how that sounds. I was kind of disappointed that the HD-DVD didn't have a full bitrate DTS track on the disc.
post #282 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post

Doug Schiller, You got a Blockbuster that rents HD-DVDs? May I ask what city you are in. My local one here in Seattle is not sure exactly how may High Def formats there are much less renting them.

Blockbuster online. They have almost every HD available.

There are some Blockbusters that started renting HD movies but not the store I go to.
post #283 of 2184 Old 11-17-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone else bothered by the noise? Between the noise of the 360, and the noise of the HD-DVD drive I found it way too distracting to try to watch a movie off this combo. The fan in the HD-DVD drive really gets noisy once the drive warms up.

I suppose if I had the 360 and the HD-DVD drive in an enclosed cabinet (yet more heat!) it wouldn't be so bad, but I have an open-air TV stand and the noise is a showstopper for me.

The PQ was great, I have both VGA and component cables for the 360. KK looked really, really good
post #284 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post

Anyone else bothered by the noise? Between the noise of the 360, and the noise of the HD-DVD drive I found it way too distracting to try to watch a movie off this combo. The fan in the HD-DVD drive really gets noisy once the drive warms up.

I suppose if I had the 360 and the HD-DVD drive in an enclosed cabinet (yet more heat!) it wouldn't be so bad, but I have an open-air TV stand and the noise is a showstopper for me.

The PQ was great, I have both VGA and component cables for the 360. KK looked really, really good

I can barely hear my 360 when playing games, can't hear it at all when playing DVD's and HD DVD's. Loading a game and every once in a while I can hear a game DVD spinning up while playing but for the most part it's extremely quiet. It also sits out in the open, not in a cabinet or anything. It is a day 1 launch console as well. I had it on for probably 6 hours yesterday and then popped in King Kong to watch and never heard my 360 make a noise.

Tom Crews
post #285 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Xbox360 is pretty noisy, but once a movie is playing, I don't notice the noise at all. I especially don't mind the noise when playing a game.
post #286 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

I can barely hear my 360 when playing games, can't hear it at all when playing DVD's and HD DVD's. Loading a game and every once in a while I can hear a game DVD spinning up while playing but for the most part it's extremely quiet. It also sits out in the open, not in a cabinet or anything. It is a day 1 launch console as well. I had it on for probably 6 hours yesterday and then popped in King Kong to watch and never heard my 360 make a noise.

Tom Crews

My Day 1 console died, so I bought another one to tide me over until my replacement unit arrives. Both of them are equally noisy, and the HD-DVD drive drowned out the noise from the 360.

Maybe I got a bad drive, I already returned it but may try another one. I could probably tolerate the noise from the 360 during movie watching, but not the noise that the drive made - it was intolerable.
post #287 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

Well I finally got mine hooked up today and WOW!!! HD-DVD is amazing looking. I only watched like the first 20 minutes or so of KK and I was just blown away. I watch a lot of HDTV and this actually looks better since there is no macroblocking in certain fast scenes .

Audio is not really blowing me away. I will have to put in a disc I own on DVD to be sure, but KK sounded ok but there was something missing from what I am use to. I will put in Apollo 13 to check the sound. I have that on DVD 2x (regular and Superbit with DTS track) so I know how that sounds. I was kind of disappointed that the HD-DVD didn't have a full bitrate DTS track on the disc.

Well Universal Use 1.5mbits DD+ Track for 99% of their title. But with the 360 you get poorly downconverted DD+ to DD at 640kbps. A lot of people are reporting this, but as a standalone owner (HDA1) i say that most DD+ track sound better then their DTS DVD conterpart on the HD-A1. I think this is why Toshiba choose to Output 1.5mbits DTS over their Standalone Players when using Optical

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #288 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone returned their drive to CC?
post #289 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Day 1 console died, so I bought another one to tide me over until my replacement unit arrives. Both of them are equally noisy, and the HD-DVD drive drowned out the noise from the 360.

Maybe I got a bad drive, I already returned it but may try another one. I could probably tolerate the noise from the 360 during movie watching, but not the noise that the drive made - it was intolerable.

I think you got a bad drive. My HD-DVD drive doesn't make any noise when playing.
post #290 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post

I'm finding the exact same results. On my Sammy 720p LCD HD-DVDs are looking better in 1080i and games look better in 720p.

My first impressions are below:

1. Setup - piece of cake. Followed the included instructions and loaded the software prior to hooking up player. Once player was hooked up it automatically recognized it and I was up and running a few seconds later. I did have to switch my WIFI adapter to the back of the HD-DVD to free the USB on back of XBOX. That also, was easy and quick.

2. Menu/Use from Dashboard - Very impressed with how easy it is to shift between games and movie. Jumping back and forth to the dashboard is easy also. I like the button that changes from Play Game to Watch HD-DVD.

3. Value - Since it's college football day....Whoooooa Nelly! I wanted the remote so this was a no-brainer. I used the remote to map all commands to my MX-500 so now I have all XBOX commands running through my mack daddy Home Theater remote. Always thought KK was a mediocre movie with some good action scenes, butI'm always happy to get a "free" DVD.

4. Performance - Load times are nil. No sound from the player itself. XBOX retains its normal fan sound, which isn't too loud. Menus are easy to navigate, no delays on using any of the features.

5. Pros - All of the above. Also, regular DVDS look really good on the unit. This will replace my current DVD player for regular DVD player use.

6. Cons - Picture is great, but not OH MY GOODNESS CALL THE NEIGHBORS! great. A lot of that though has to do with the fact that my TV is only 32" and not 1080p. But still, I find that HD Sports over the air look better than the HD-DVD movie. I have only tried KK. XBOX games also look better than the HD-DVD. Still, HD-DVD pic is much better than DVD. From the wife test, as expected, non-audiovisualphiles will have trouble seeing improvement.

JS

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #291 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I like my XA1 better but the 360 Add on is pretty great for the price.
Here are some comparison photos and I have more details on my construction thread for those interested.

Direct comparison 1st shoot HD-DVD 360 Add on.

Same shot on the XA1

2nd Shot on the 360 Add on chapter 39.

2nd Shot on the XA1 Chapter 39

So what did I see in the photos and with my eyes when doing the direct comparison just switching back and forth. Likely the same thing your going to see if you enlarge both photos and compare them.
The Toshiba XA1 has slightly clearer PQ and better colors if you do a side by side.
That been said if you just had the 360 add on and watched a movie you would likely never know or even care. If $ is no object and you don't mind waiting a bit for a movie to load then stick with the Toshiba A1 or XA1 it is slightly better but if your just looking to get into HD-DVD and enjoy the new format and already own a 360 you can't go wrong with the add on

cheers
post #292 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 01:00 PM

^ I actually find the 360 shots much sharper and crisper. The colors stand out a bit more as well.
post #293 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

So what did I see in the photos and with my eyes when doing the direct comparison just switching back and forth. Likely the same thing your going to see if you enlarge both photos and compare them.
The Toshiba XA1 has slightly clearer PQ and better colors if you do a side by side.

I saw the biggest difference between the XA1 and 360 add-on in your "Kong sitting on the cliff" caps. The XA1 is so much more clear when looking at the detail in the cliffs. And that leads me to ask: did you use the XA1 to calibrate your display?

I ask because it looks like the image from the add-on is really, really soft... almost like the sharpness needs to be adjusted. I am curious what those same images would look like if you calibrated using the add-on as the source.

-T
post #294 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

I saw the biggest difference between the XA1 and 360 add-on in your "Kong sitting on the cliff" caps. The XA1 is so much more clear when looking at the detail in the cliffs.

I noticed that too. Camera Shake?
post #295 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i think i am going to pick up a Toshiba......i just can't take the 360's poorly implicated audio dwnconversion and those pics above just sealed the deal for me. i usually wouldn't put so much stock in pictures like that but the pics from teh toshiba are MUCH BETTER than what i am seeing on my screen.....
post #296 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i think i am going to pick up a Toshiba......i just can't take the 360's poorly implicated audio dwnconversion and those pics above just sealed the deal for me. i usually wouldn't put so much stock in pictures like that but the pics from teh toshiba are MUCH BETTER than what i am seeing on my screen.....

If you look at the top Kong pic you can see that it's blurry because of camera shake. Try reading the numbers on the red progress bar. On my set it's nowhere near that blurry.
post #297 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM

Just picked up xbox hd drive. Watched KK for a bit and was pretty impressed. I have a 44" Toshiba DLP (I'm guessing 720p native) and my xbox through component is set to 720p. I will have to try KK on 1080i as I've noticed games seem only very slightly better on 720p than 1080i on my set. (Got KK the game thrown in as well if you buy from future shop up in the great white north called canada)

I threw in Cars as well to compare video to my Panny S77 upconverting player (hooked up via hdmi to dvi on my display). The picture via the panny is better, but I wouldn't have a problem using the 360hd drive for SD dvd's. I may eventually get the vga cable for my xbox so it will upconvert standard dvd's.

The sound through my speakers from the xbox drive seemed better than my panny's. Has anyone else found similar results with comparing audio from their reg dvd players to the xbox hd-dvd?

Both the panny and xbox are hooked into my denon 2807 via optical audio.

Overall very happy with the drive. Once my basement is developed next year and projector goes in, the xbox and hddrive will move down there.
post #298 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

I saw the biggest difference between the XA1 and 360 add-on in your "Kong sitting on the cliff" caps. The XA1 is so much more clear when looking at the detail in the cliffs. And that leads me to ask: did you use the XA1 to calibrate your display?

I ask because it looks like the image from the add-on is really, really soft... almost like the sharpness needs to be adjusted. I am curious what those same images would look like if you calibrated using the add-on as the source.

-T

The XA1 shot has this blue thing at the right which gives light so that's why you see more detail. (haven't seen the movie so don't know what the blueish thing is ) The pictures don't show the exact same frame/time in the movie.

You're happy with what you have, untill something better comes along.
post #299 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

This review here http://www.hidef.com/hardware-access...iba-hd-a1.html seems to peg the PQ of the addon pretty level with the A1.
post #300 of 2184 Old 11-18-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, that image on the cliff is much more detailed on my set.

I uploaded a pic from my 1080P DLP set here:

King Kong

Sorry that it's not a great pic, but it definitely shows the detail in the cliff...
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page