Originally Posted by jdogg
I also have a 720p native DLP. Running some quick tests it seems that HD-DVD output at 1080i looks better than at 720p. The same test for Gears of War though yeilded difference results, the game looks blurry in 1080i...
It would be great if there is an option in the future to set a different HD-DVD movie output resolution from game resolution. This would be very helpful as switching all the time will start to get tedious.
I'm finding the exact same results. On my Sammy 720p LCD HD-DVDs are looking better in 1080i and games look better in 720p.
My first impressions are below:
1. Setup - piece of cake. Followed the included instructions and loaded the software prior to hooking up player. Once player was hooked up it automatically recognized it and I was up and running a few seconds later. I did have to switch my WIFI adapter to the back of the HD-DVD to free the USB on back of XBOX. That also, was easy and quick.
2. Menu/Use from Dashboard - Very impressed with how easy it is to shift between games and movie. Jumping back and forth to the dashboard is easy also. I like the button that changes from Play Game to Watch HD-DVD.
3. Value - Since it's college football day....Whoooooa Nelly! I wanted the remote so this was a no-brainer. I used the remote to map all commands to my MX-500 so now I have all XBOX commands running through my mack daddy Home Theater remote. Always thought KK was a mediocre movie with some good action scenes, butI'm always happy to get a "free" DVD.
4. Performance - Load times are nil. No sound from the player itself. XBOX retains its normal fan sound, which isn't too loud. Menus are easy to navigate, no delays on using any of the features.
5. Pros - All of the above. Also, regular DVDS look really good on the unit. This will replace my current DVD player for regular DVD player use.
6. Cons - Picture is great, but not OH MY GOODNESS CALL THE NEIGHBORS! great. A lot of that though has to do with the fact that my TV is only 32" and not 1080p. But still, I find that HD Sports over the air look better than the HD-DVD movie. I have only tried KK. XBOX games also look better than the HD-DVD. Still, HD-DVD pic is much better than DVD. From the wife test, as expected, non-audiovisualphiles will have trouble seeing improvement.