Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Texas View Post

Will the Xbox 360 + HD-DVD system ouput a 1080i image on an HDTV with DVI-HDCP or component inputs?

The Xbox360 will output 1080i for both HD DVD movies and Xbox360 games over component.

No DVI or HDMI ports on the Xbox 360.

Tom Crews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone played Army of Darkness on the add-on? For some reason when I pause during playback, it pauses and then after a few moments it resets to the title screen (universal logo). Weirdly enough, pressing >| goes back to where I had previously paused it.
post #363 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

Has anyone played Army of Darkness on the add-on? For some reason when I pause during playback, it pauses and then after a few moments it resets to the title screen (universal logo). Weirdly enough, pressing >| goes back to where I had previously paused it.

I have other Universal discs that do this. I think this may be intentional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #364 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

I have other Universal discs that do this. I think this may be intentional.

ahhh as a sort of burn-in prevention?
post #365 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Liked: 11
Occaisionally the HD-A1 player will get out of sync. Pressing pause for a couple of seconds usually clears it up. I don't know if that works for the Add-on. I bought the add-on for my Son's 360 and he hasn't reported any problems. We use the optical connection for audio when he comes to my place. He has watched movies at a friends' house with no sync issues.
An earlier post indicated this problem my be specific to the 2-channel analog output.

For what it's worth, the 360 component connection to my plasma rivals the HDMI setup with the Toshiba HD-A1. Excellent.

A bit off topic, we downloaded and viewed an episode of CSI Miami last night to try out the new 360 download feature. It looked terrific! Much better than broadcast.

-Byrd
post #366 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 04:10 PM

I finally managed to find a unit at my local Circuit City last Tuesday, and used that $40-off coupon. (They had been in and out (mostly out) of stock since the release.) I'm very pleased with the unit so far.

I got some obvious stuttering the first time I played King Kong, but I just power-cycled the 360 and haven't seen any problems since. The PQ was very nice as viewed on myHP 1080p (wobbulated) display. Significantly sharper than standard DVDs and quite a bit "cleaner" than most broadcast HD. I've only seen KK so far, but I've enabled HD-DVDs in my Netflix account. I'll be getting a steady trickle of HD discs sent to me over the next few months. Hopefully, new titles will continue to be released!

I do wish that there was an 360 system option so that I could have it automatically output HD-DVD movies at 1080i, while keeping the games and dashboard at 720p.
post #367 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

From the wife test, as expected, non-audiovisualphiles will have trouble seeing improvement.

JS

The wife test passes on a 70" screen. It is unbelievably superior to DVD at this screen size.
post #368 of 2184 Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Not a wife, buy my GF notices the difference in image quality immediately on my 34" TV, at least with titles like Batman Begins and King Kong.

|
|
|
post #369 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I plan on picking this up. Any good deals out there with this. I know Circuit City has the $40 off coupon but its about to expire in a couple of days and the CC closest to me is out of stock.

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #370 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Are a lot of people seeing a 'washed out' picture using the VGA cable? I would like to get the VGA cable primarily for upconverting standard DVDs, but not at the expense of the overall PQ.

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. Searching this thread is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks.
post #371 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've had the 360 drive for about a week now and have watched KK on it. I love this thing. It's the best PQ I've seen on my Sony Pearl FP. I'm outputting 1080i over component and there is no double outlining resulting from the analog to digital conversion. Fantastic picture.

I had to chuckle at all of the comments saying that King Kong looks more artificial in HD due to the increased resolution. My personal opinion is that the culprit is not the increased fidelity of the HD-DVD, but rather the calibration of the display device. Keep in mind, CGI special effects are calibrated on professional monitors, and they often look more real on a properly calibrated display than they do in the theaters. In the theater, the washed out black levels made most of the FX shots look completely artificial to me. I had a similar experience watching certain CGI shots in LOTR: Return of the King in the theater. At home, on my semi-calibrated monitors, the FX on both of these films were much more convincing. With FX, there seems to be a lot of blending in the shadowy parts of the screen. If you futz with the shadow detail or the black level, you've probably rendered the CGI more distinguishable.

As far as the HD-DVD goes, I've neve seen so much detail in King Kong before. Nearly every frame of Skull Island is alive with tiny flying bugs, dust, pollen. It is all fantastic looking. And quite a bit of it is utterly convincing. Poor black levels and oversaturated colors will make it look more artificial, however.

post #372 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM

I'm a new X360 + HD-DVD owner!
I'm really happy about the PQ and all BUT...
The video plyback DOES stutter. Having way more NTSC DVDs than Pal DVDs (yes, I'm from Europe) I'm very mich aware of what you now call "judder" but that's not judder i'm talking about...
I have 6 movies right now but haven't tested all of them (I'm wasn't even supposed to open the X360 + HD-DVD boxes until christmas... girlfriends can be harsh sometime) but on Terminator 3, on 2 specifics shots it's obvious the X360 is telling me "ok, that's as good as I can do it, sorry..."
28"08', John Connors's truck passing by police cars and 32'58", the terminatrix 's truck passing under a bridge, the video is about 10 fps...
Can anyone with the T3 HD-DVD tell me what it looks like on your 360 HD-DVD on these shots? And better, can anyone with the T3 HD-DVD and a Toshiba HD-A1 tell me about those shots?
As for the audio being out of sync, I did notice it was about 2 frames too early but I'm using the 2 channels analog output so as debyrd suggested, maybe it's ok using the optical digital output (my MC-1 has a delay if it's still out of sync using the digital out, so it's not really a problem for me)

edit : right now, I plugged the X360 on my CRT PC monitor using a VGA cable just for testing purposes, so there's no way the stuttering came from the monitor

I don't really come from outer space
post #373 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

I plan on picking this up. Any good deals out there with this. I know Circuit City has the $40 off coupon but its about to expire in a couple of days and the CC closest to me is out of stock.

FWIW, I used the $40 coupon from CC that I printed from this forum an hour ago. Didn't even get a question about it.

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #374 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post

I'm a new X360 + HD-DVD owner!
I'm really happy about the PQ and all BUT...
The video plyback DOES stutter. Having way more NTSC DVDs than Pal DVDs (yes, I'm from Europe) I'm very mich aware of what you now call "judder" but that's not judder i'm talking about...
I have 6 movies right now but haven't tested all of them (I'm wasn't even supposed to open the X360 + HD-DVD boxes until christmas... girlfriends can be harsh sometime) but on Terminator 3, on 2 specifics shots it's obvious the X360 is telling me "ok, that's as good as I can do it, sorry..."
28"08', John Connors's truck passing by police cars and 32'58", the terminatrix 's truck passing under a bridge, the video is about 10 fps...
Can anyone with the T3 HD-DVD tell me what it looks like on your 360 HD-DVD on these shots? And better, can anyone with the T3 HD-DVD and a Toshiba HD-A1 tell me about those shots?
As for the audio being out of sync, I did notice it was about 2 frames too early but I'm using the 2 channels analog output so as debyrd suggested, maybe it's ok using the optical digital output (my MC-1 has a delay if it's still out of sync using the digital out, so it's not really a problem for me)

edit : right now, I plugged the X360 on my CRT PC monitor using a VGA cable just for testing purposes, so there's no way the stuttering came from the monitor

Some people claim a cache clear / reboot removes the stutter. I don't know if this hocus pocus or whatever, but the reason I don't know is because I've never experienced the stutter, and I've watched many movies on this machine.

However, I do not have Terminator 3.

|
|
|
post #375 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in SD View Post

The wife test passes on a 70" screen. It is unbelievably superior to DVD at this screen size.

It does make me wonder what's going on when people say that the difference between HD-DVD and SD DVD is marginal. It makes me question the display, the video processing, the transfer, or something else in the display chain, possibly including the eyesight of the viewer.

I watched KK on a 96 inch 1080p projector that does real 1080i deinterlacing of film-based content. So aside from judder (and some possible as-yet-unconfirmed high frequency filtering by my projector), I was watching the movie as it was encoded. And the picture was totally fantastic. SD DVDs look like crap in comparison, and no, I'm not being overly dramatic for effect.

I literally do not watch SD DVDs anymore. Anyone who thinks the difference is marginal should drop by my house and check this out. You will leave convinced.

post #376 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Some people claim a cache clear / reboot removes the stutter. I don't know if this hocus pocus or whatever, but the reason I don't know is because I've never experienced the stutter, and I've watched many movies on this machine.

However, I do not have Terminator 3.

The only HD-DVD I've watched so far is King Kong. I noticed a stutter on a scene where Jack Black is roaming through the swamp, shortly after arriving on skull island. It's near the part in the movie where there are giant mosquitos buzzing about.

I wonder if anyone else saw this in the same spot...

post #377 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post

Actually, it's that way in the film (or at least the transfer). I saw that stuttering on the original SD-DVD and thought it was a problem with the disc. So it's either that way in the original film or there's a hiccup or two in the HD transfer that was used for all the video releases. Bottom line... there's nothing wrong with your 360 drive.
post #378 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith View Post

Are a lot of people seeing a 'washed out' picture using the VGA cable? I would like to get the VGA cable primarily for upconverting standard DVDs, but not at the expense of the overall PQ.

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. Searching this thread is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks.

It'll depend on the set, but for the Sony V2500, I had to set Brightness all the way down to 30 (based on a calibration dvd) and Picture (contrast) up to 98. Also, set mode to Video and _not_ Text. I've been swapping w/ the component cable, and also comparing to a regular dvd player, and I just can't tell any significant difference in contrast/color. Interestingly, the calibrated Brightness and Picture (Contrast) settings are the same thru component or vga and with the dvd or hd-dvd xbox 360 drives. It's _possible_ there's a bit more color saturation with the component... but am not sure. In any case, properly calibrated, at least for gray scale, the VGA certainly doesn't look washed-out with dvd's/hd-dvd's. And the demo games have vivid colors.
post #379 of 2184 Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply rconn2. What are your impressions of that Sony btw? I coincidentally was looking at that very model. Do you have the 40, or 46". Thanks.
post #380 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBadger View Post

FWIW, I used the $40 coupon from CC that I printed from this forum an hour ago. Didn't even get a question about it.

Watched MI3 last night Looked great. Need to watch part of it on the standard progressive scan Sony tonight to see the difference.

Also interested in seeing what difference VGA will make, if any.

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #381 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 AM

I picked it up last night and watched King Kong and Superman Returns on it via component, in 1080i. IMPRESSIVE!

I'm not at ease though knowing that I can get a 1080p feed to my Sammy HL-S6187 via VGA, so that's what I'll be doing this evening, going out and getting that cable to exploit that feature. To make it more interesting....I'll invite some family over and their expressions should make me re-enjoy the movies all over again. I gotta have that 1080p!

XBL Gamertag: Da Rafsta79
post #382 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding62 View Post

I do wish that there was an 360 system option so that I could have it automatically output HD-DVD movies at 1080i, while keeping the games and dashboard at 720p.

I was thinking that just today. Here's to hoping!

post #383 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

Nearly every frame of Skull Island is alive with tiny flying bugs, dust, pollen. It is all fantastic looking. And quite a bit of it is utterly convincing. .

I'm still in awe because of it! AMAZING!!

post #384 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta View Post

I was thinking that just today. Here's to hoping!

If your display accepts 1080p, even if it's downconverting, it will do that.

I have a 720p projector, that accepts 1080p signal. I keep it set on that, when I launch an HD-DVD it auto switches to 1080i (because it's all through component)
post #385 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a newbie question for you all....

I have my 360 drive connected via component cables to my Toshiba 34 inch tv which displays 1080i. Would I gain anything in picture quality by attempting to use the 360 vga cable and a vga to hdmi adaptor?

Thanks,

Marc
post #386 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

If your display accepts 1080p, even if it's downconverting, it will do that.

I have a 720p projector, that accepts 1080p signal. I keep it set on that, when I launch an HD-DVD it auto switches to 1080i (because it's all through component)

Hmmm...perhaps.

For some reason though, using Madden NFL 07 as an example, I noticed that it looks better when I set my 360 to 720p res as the game outputs 720p resolution. When I had it set to 1080p, playing a 720p Madden...it didn't look as crisp, probably do to the deinterlacing process and all that. I don't know....

So that's what I've been doing lately....changing my Xbox back and forth from 720p for 720p games, 1080i for games that support it and shall set it on 1080p when I watch HD-DVD movies.

post #387 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycure299 View Post

Hello everyone,

I have a newbie question for you all....

I have my 360 drive connected via component cables to my Toshiba 34 inch tv which displays 1080i. Would I gain anything in picture quality by attempting to use the 360 vga cable and a vga to hdmi adaptor?

Thanks,

Marc

Unless your T.V. can do 1080p, I don't see what difference the VGA cable would make.

The VGA cable on Sammy HL-Sxx87/xx88 models makes a difference. With component, the HD-DVDs display in 1080i, but when using the VGA cable, it kicks it up to 1080p.

Hope that helps.

post #388 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith View Post

Thanks.

It's amazing how many of these questions are answered, or at least addressed in the very first page of the Addon FAQ thread. No seaqrching necessary.

Yes, a number of people are seeing washed out colours, it's due to the "format" of the VGA signal and how the TV uses it. A number of TVs assume that anything connected by VGA must be a PC.
post #389 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

It's amazing how many of these questions are answered, or at least addressed in the very first page of the Addon FAQ thread. No seaqrching necessary.

Yes, a number of people are seeing washed out colours, it's due to the "format" of the VGA signal and how the TV uses it. A number of TVs assume that anything connected by VGA must be a PC.

Sorry to beat a dead horse as you say that the question's been addressed already....but:

Does this mean that it's better to watch regular DVDs on the HD-DVD player via component without any upscaling or would you still recommend watching regular DVDs on the HD-DVD player via VGA even if there is some "washed out colors" as the resolution with improved detail outweighs that washed out color issue?

post #390 of 2184 Old 11-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Stephenson View Post

Actually, it's that way in the film (or at least the transfer). I saw that stuttering on the original SD-DVD and thought it was a problem with the disc. So it's either that way in the original film or there's a hiccup or two in the HD transfer that was used for all the video releases. Bottom line... there's nothing wrong with your 360 drive.

After watching again my T3 z2 DVD, you're absolutely right and I'm absolutely wrong, the video master seems to be that way
Mea culpa! I guess I got a little paranoid and found the wrong example

I don't really come from outer space
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page