Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2184 Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittangamo View Post

On the other hand, component works well and gives excellent PQ. If you're not hung up on that little letter "p," you should be more than pleased.

Yeah you rock!! I watched Me, You and Dupree HD-DVD and thought it was coming out 1080p, The picture was clear as all hell. It was until I came across this forum that my dreams were crushed with the talks of it only being 1080i

I picked up this new T.V to experiance 1080p and sold my 73 inch diamond series that was a 1080i with no hdmi or dvi connection. I am wondering if I made a mistake letting that T.V go and if I wasted my money on the sammy.

When I am using the 360 dashboard, the res says 1980x1080 if I change the output from the xbox to 1080i then my t.v says 1980x1080i which was leading me to beleive it was a 1080p signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2184 Old 12-16-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvice View Post

if I change the output from the xbox to 1080i then my t.v says 1980x1080i which was leading me to beleive it was a 1080p signal.

So what? If your TV does a decent reverse 3:2 telecine pullup to 1080p60, then there is no difference. Next step would be to get a display that does an exact multiple of 24 Hz display refresh. Then you might see a difference with movie based content -- reduced judder. Either your display can handle 1080i60 with 3:2 pull up flags perfectly, the source outputs raw 1080p24 or you have an expensive video processor that knows how to take in 1080i60 with 3:2 pull up flags and output the appropriate exact multiple of 24 Hz to your display.
post #453 of 2184 Old 12-16-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Superman Returns this afternoon, as usual the PQ was top notch. The film may not deliver the best PQ available from HD DVD but it was definitely above SD DVD quality. The TrueHD sound, converted to DD on my 360 addon, was definitely a true HD experience. Bass was deep and tight on my system, especially the scene when Lex launches the K-missile. Top notch!
post #454 of 2184 Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I watched Miami Vice tonight and had my first playback problem with the 360 drive. The movie froze right before the ending gunfight. Had to eject the disc and then it played the scene fine. It was a rental disc and has scratches, etc so maybe that caused it?
post #455 of 2184 Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I watched Miami Vice tonight and had my first playback problem with the 360 drive. The movie froze right before the ending gunfight. Had to eject the disc and then it played the scene fine. It was a rental disc and has scratches, etc so maybe that caused it?

Only freeze I ever had was with a rental disc; fixed with soap and water and a clean handkerchief.
post #456 of 2184 Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im hoping it was a dirty rental disc. My friend had a problem with You, Me, and Dupree yet it played perfectly for me (also a rental). No problems with store bought discs yet...
post #457 of 2184 Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I grabbed me a 360 addon from CC. I watched selected scenes of HULK and KikngKong, and I must say I'm spoiled now. It's going to get harder and harder to watch SD programming of any kind. I haven't really given my player a thorough run down. Will post back after a few complete movie viewings. I have the following HD DVD's so far:

KK, Batman Begins, Training Day, Van Helsing, Chron. of Riddick, HULK, Swordfish , Constantine, A.T.L.

I just signed up for BB online rental service, and have Ant Bully on the way with Miami Vice in the "Q". I think I'm just going to rent until the "must have" movies come out. Not many exciting releases for 2007 yet.
Must Have? Examples: Matrix Trilogy or LOTR Trilogy

I love my HT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #458 of 2184 Old 12-23-2006, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattERP View Post

I spent a good hour last night comparing scenes directly from my Oppo 970HD DVD player with the SD version (obviously) of Serenity and the HD-DVD on my 360. I compared numerous scenes throughout the movie and switched back and forth between HDMI (Oppo) and VGA (360). The difference was drastic - and this was "only" at 720P. I didn't need to see the direct comparison for my brain to tell me that the PQ was incredible, I just wanted to see how much of a difference it was - and it was indeed more drastic than i realized.

I was a skeptic, but the favorable impressions of the technology caused me to make the plunge on the purchase of the drive. I'm not sure I'm glad I did it, because now the bar has been raised (leading to assured additional purchases of HD movies I already own SD versions of).

Big thumbs up here.

yes, it's nice isn't it
i'm playing it using this drive attached my PC and I must say TrueHD is pretty amazing, DD+ sounds good too. seems like it puts more power to the bass than regular DVDs and things sound sort of crisper and with more dynamic impact, sharper attack envelopes or something.

no, getting HD version of SD already owned is not

but it's cool
post #459 of 2184 Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

yes, it's nice isn't it
i'm playing it using this drive attached my PC and I must say TrueHD is pretty amazing, DD+ sounds good too. seems like it puts more power to the bass than regular DVDs and things sound sort of crisper and with more dynamic impact, sharper attack envelopes or something.

but it's cool

ok and just wait until you get a 1080p display, really quite a step up from 720p.
so if you are already blow away at 720p just wait until you more than DOUBLE that resolution. 720p looks good but certainly doesn't ever get that looking out a window feel, 1080p sometimes does. I love 1080p
post #460 of 2184 Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

yes, it's nice isn't it

but it's cool

How are you playing the drive from your PC? Is there an hd-dvd software player now available?
post #461 of 2184 Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconn2 View Post

How are you playing the drive from your PC? Is there an hd-dvd software player now available?

Last I heard, there is a version of powerdvd or it's competitor (forgot the name) that will play them, but I believe they are only playing them at 480p, which a lot of people don't realize, because it still looks good.
post #462 of 2184 Old 12-24-2006, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

Last I heard, there is a version of powerdvd or it's competitor (forgot the name) that will play them, but I believe they are only playing them at 480p, which a lot of people don't realize, because it still looks good.

no, full, glorius 1920x1080p with TrueHD. although it seems my single 3200+ is too slow for KK and one does need dual core for the more intense discs.

cyberlink released software yesterday, version 7.1 ultimate edition. only bad thing is they seem to charge current 7.0 customers the full $99 to move 7.0 - > 7.1! I expect a decent refund within a few weeks.... or it is intervideo from now on.

and some had gotten a hold of a special verison 6.5 earlier, which did some things but was very buggy (as opposed to the new 7.1 which is only a little buggy).
post #463 of 2184 Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:

no, full, glorius 1920x1080p with TrueHD.

Don't you have to have an HDCP compliant video card?
post #464 of 2184 Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
skibum5000: This is good news! Now I'll have to consider getting a new laptop though. I've read a review that the xbox 360's add on hd-dvd drive was clunky compared to having it integrated like w/ the ps3, but it really makes it more flexible. And now an xbox isn't even needed... just a fast enough pc and the software and the fairly inexpensive drive.

And as thrustbucket asked... is an HDCP card needed? Any gotcha's like downscaling over vga?
post #465 of 2184 Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 AM

Merry (late) Christmas everybody!

I finally got to connect my 360+HD-DVD to my Sony G70 CRT projector! (Christmas present...)
I used the VGA cable and I'm really disappointed about the contrast
Blacks are gray, whites are gray too... looks like a cheap digital projector
I know where the problem comes from (video level and not PC levels) but I wasn't planning on using the component cable (no DVD upscaling and I have a VGA switcher to use the 360 for games on my PC monitor).
It sucks to have to chose between a good contrast (YUV) and everything else (upscale, VGA switcher for games)

I don't really come from outer space
post #466 of 2184 Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

The difference between PC and Video black levels is a problem, but it's not that dramatic on most displays. Have you tried calibrating the projector with DVE or Avia? Have you bypassed the switcher and cabled directly to the projector? Have you checked the manual to see if your Sony has a black level setting to compensate?

I've seen what mismatched levels do, they basically crush blacks so that below-black is not displayed, but you can adjust for it. You might also want to post in the projector forum to see how others deal with it. A number of upscaling DVD players -- notably the early Samsungs -- put out PC black when displays were expecting Video black.

There's an article here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-3.html that goes into some detail and uses the same model Sony as an example.
post #467 of 2184 Old 12-26-2006, 08:51 AM

I didn't have time to see if there was a simple "black level" option in the service menus yet but I'll check tonight. I don't want to recalibrate my projector because the 360 is not my only source. Thanks for the link

I don't really come from outer space
post #468 of 2184 Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 AM

I picked up the hd-dvd add on a couple weeks ago for christmas. Man i love this thing, I have to say the best looking hd dvd so far is The Polar Express. It blew me away more than any of the others. Except playing the sd-dvd version of Ice Age 2, its not even hd and yet it looked almost as good as hd. Here are a few screens of it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the hd dvd drive doesn't upconvert through component right? Cause it sure feels like it did with Ice Age 2.
post #469 of 2184 Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM

I am trying to decide if I should get this add on for our Xbox 360, or buy a standalone HD-DVD player which upconverts via DVI-HDMI/HDCP? My HDTV doesn't have a VGA input, so component is how I connect my XBOX360 now.

Is MS going to release an upgrade for the XBox 360 which will allow it to upconvert SD-DVDs via its' component connection, or are those of us without VGA inputs on our HDTVs just out of luck?

I have a collection of around 200 SD-DVDs, so being able to upconvert them is very important to me.... since the HDTV in our gameroom has a horrible internal scaler.

Anyone try their Xbox with a VGA to component converter?

Edit: This is the transcoder I am thinking about....: Audio Authority VGA to Component Transcoder

My Gear:
post #470 of 2184 Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Texas View Post

I am trying to decide if I should get this add on for our Xbox 360, or buy a standalone HD-DVD player which upconverts via DVI-HDMI/HDCP? My HDTV doesn't have a VGA input, so component is how I connect my XBOX360 now.

Is MS going to release an upgrade for the XBox 360 which will allow it to upconvert SD-DVDs via its' component connection, or are those of us without VGA inputs on our HDTVs just out of luck?

I have a collection of around 200 SD-DVDs, so being able to upconvert them is very important to me.... since the HDTV in our gameroom has a horrible internal scaler.

Anyone try their Xbox with a VGA to component converter?

Edit: This is the transcoder I am thinking about....: Audio Authority VGA to Component Transcoder

No DVD player will upconvert over component. The powers that be will not permit it. If you don't have a standard DVD upconverter already, just go with the standalone HD-DVD player if all HDMI is the way you want to go.

I already had a good quality Sony HDMI upconverting standard DVD player, so the XBOX 360 HD_DVD add-on made economic sense to me at $160. Component HD-DVD looks great to me and the sound issues that eveyone is clammoring about isn't an issue to me.
post #471 of 2184 Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting or reading in the add on section. I currently have a 1080p LCD monitor and will be getting a 360 in 5 days. I ordered the VGA cables for it already and will be getting the update to be able to output 1080p over VGA. My question is, if i purchase the add on and play my standard dvds in the add on will they still be 1080p too since it will all be over VGA? Thanks.
post #472 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't you have to have an HDCP compliant video card?

not if you view over component or over VGA (D-SUB), that said I do have an HDCP compliant card and monitor and run it over DVI (but again you do not have to).

today's story is (from other posts):

here is another setup that works flawlessly:

AMD X2 4400+ in an eVGA nForce4 N41 board (both with no overclocking) running XP with all the latest XP service packs and all

1.5 GB dual channel RAM

HDCP compliant eVGA NVIDIA 8800 GTS with the latest drivers (and no overclocking)

HDCP compliant Samsung 244T 1080p 24" monitor over DVI

I had had problems before with the above and a single core AMD 3200+ instead, only some movies ran reasonably smoothly (and now those are not just merely watchable but silky smooth and the ones with total chop are likewise silky smooth now).

well, just popped in an AMD X2 4400+ in place of single core AMD 3200+ and combined with my 8800 GTS and PowerDVD 7.1 and suddenly everything is silky smooth and more interestingly King Kong is not only smooth, but I don't have to skip past the first chapter to get video and it doesn't try to crop it to 16:9, very weird how just a faster CPU changed those last couple of strange errors, but it did.

it does have the default of subtitles for hard of hearing on which is annoying, but can be gotten around easily by going to title menu as soon as movie starts and turning them off (except for one disc where I can't get them to turn off during the deleted scenes and on King Kong I seem to have to use title menu twice in a row to turn them off).

anyway, it's all pretty glorious, DD+ high bit rate or TrueHD combined with 1080p.
post #473 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead7319 View Post

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting or reading in the add on section. I currently have a 1080p LCD monitor and will be getting a 360 in 5 days. I ordered the VGA cables for it already and will be getting the update to be able to output 1080p over VGA. My question is, if i purchase the add on and play my standard dvds in the add on will they still be 1080p too since it will all be over VGA? Thanks.

Yes, everything will output at 1080p over VGA. Games and DVDs will upconvert.
post #474 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 06:17 AM

Thanks Buddy for the response.

Quote:

No DVD player will upconvert over component.

Not true, I've owned two that did.... Zenith and Momitsu... and there are/have been others.

Quote:

The powers that be will not permit it.

Why is that? How much sense does it make that they allow native HD content to be output via component, but not lesser upconverted SD-DVD???? The powers that be, must be idiots?

Quote:

If you don't have a standard DVD upconverter already, just go with the standalone HD-DVD player if all HDMI is the way you want to go.

I currently have 4 other upconverting DVD players, but, it doesn't make sense to me to have two DVD players in the same system. And actually, with this analog CRT based HDTV, I'd rather go component if it upconverts and offers HD-DVD.

So... has anyone used a VGA to component converter with their Xbox 360 and gotten good PQ for upconverted SD-DVDs and HD-DVDs at 1080i?

My Gear:
post #475 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Texas View Post

Thanks Buddy for the response.

Not true, I've owned two that did.... Zenith and Momitsu... and there are/have been others.

Why is that? How much sense does it make that they allow native HD content to be output via component, but not lesser upconverted SD-DVD???? The powers that be, must be idiots?

I currently have 4 other upconverting DVD players, but, it doesn't make sense to me to have two DVD players in the same system. And actually, with this analog CRT based HDTV, I'd rather go component if it upconverts and offers HD-DVD.

So... has anyone used a VGA to component converter with their Xbox 360 and gotten good PQ for upconverted SD-DVDs and HD-DVDs at 1080i?

Let me put it another way then. NO, MS is not going to release an upgrade for the XBox 360 which will allow it to upconvert SD-DVDs via its' component connection. You, or some other well knowledged individual, will need to devise a hack to get this done.
post #476 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 AM

Thanks again Buddy...

Is the VGA output signal a PC or an RGB(HV) one(or are they the same thing?)?

My Gear:
post #477 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

Nope, 1080p - PowerDVD Ultra.

I've started a nifty thread called "How to get the HD DVD add-on working on your PC in five minutes flat" where I've laid out the key things that I found you have to watch out for.

You can also discuss installation problems there and share configs, etc.

I've done Nvidia and laptops first - and I'll be getting to ATI installs later this week, as well as how to get the multichannel lossless audio over things like Fireware (ie from Laptops).

The thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=775177

Hope it helps - Happy New Year everyone!

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #478 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Well, I just went and got the HD-DVD addon at CC for $159(using $40 coupon from other AVS Xbox thread).
I'll be giving the VGA to component converters/transcoders a try and I'll report back here what I find out since no one else seems to have tried them yet?

My Gear:
post #479 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy C View Post

No DVD player will upconvert over component. The powers that be will not permit it. If you don't have a standard DVD upconverter already, just go with the standalone HD-DVD player if all HDMI is the way you want to go.

I use the Helios DVD player for upconversion of SD-DVD over component connection and it works quite well. NeoDigits carries it here.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #480 of 2184 Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM

BTW... as for my impressions... King Kong looked incredible on my GameRoom system... and I am now sold and wishing I had a HD drive in my primary HT system too. The second that Oppo releases an HD player, I am all over it.

My Gear:
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page