post #721 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittangamo View Post

It's true that fixed pixel displays will upconvert SD DVD to their native resolution. But a good upconverter offers an advantage in that the conversion is done at the source.

I have a 50" DLP, and it uses the same Faroudja deinterlacer as my Toshiba SD V592 upconverter. Yet the 720p output from the Tosh looks better than 480i fed to the same 720p display.

If upconversion is a priority, investing in a new A2 would be worth it, IMHO. That way you get HD DVD and the best possible PQ for SD in the same package. The Xbox add-on does a decent job at upconversion, but a standalone is better.

Hmm. How could the location of the upconverting possibly make any difference? It seems more likely that the implementation of the Faroudja is different in the TV and the Toshiba.

But I agree with the point of a "good" upconvertor being much better than a "bad" upconvertor, perhaps the A2 if the poster is comfortable with HD-DVD doing well against BluRay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Hmm. How could the location of the upconverting possibly make any difference? It seems more likely that the implementation of the Faroudja is different in the TV and the Toshiba.

There are reviews of upscaling players all over this forum and all over the net that report that outputting 720p or 1080i from an upscaling player looks better than outputting 480i (or p) from the same player and letting the TV do the scaling. I can do an A/B test myself and see that the upscaled image is crisper at the same end resolution when the player does the work.

There are lots of sites with better explanations than I can give. Here's one from:

http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Arti...24&Path=Visual

Quote:

The process of converting a DVD's 480i signal to 480p, 720p, or 1080i is incredibly complex and, if done poorly, can wreak havoc on picture quality. Factors such as fast on-screen motion, rapid scene transitions, and video noise from the source material can produce the aforementioned jaggies, visible pixilation (i.e., the screen door effect), and color shifting. A powerful, well-integrated video processor will eliminate, or at least minimize, these eyesores.

Deinterlacing and scaling are all well and good, but what are you looking for when it comes time to lay down some hard-earned cash for an upconverting DVD player? First and foremost, just in case I haven't made this abundantly clear, the DVD player must have a well-integrated, quality video processor. A good rule of thumb is that the more deinterlacing and scaling the upconverting DVD player handles, the better the picture will be. HDTVs all have some sort of built-in video processor, but these processors usually pale in comparison with the performance of the chip in a good upconverting player. Let the DVD player do what it does bestoptimizing the videoand leave the displaying of the video to the HDTV set.

Do you really think that all those experienced AVS members who bought upscaling players had the wool pulled over our eyes? 1:1 pixel mapping using an all-digital connection from a good upscaler isn't as good as HD DVD, but it's the next best thing because it reduces the number of errors introduced and amplified when the scaling is done at the end of the chain rather than the begining.

See this detailed explanation from one of our resident experts:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=477740

If you want to believe that upscaling is a worthless gimmick and the rest of us have all fallen victim to snake-oil salesmen, be my guest. I prefer to trust my own eyes.
post #723 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are reviews of upscaling players all over this forum and all over the net that report that outputting 720p or 1080i from an upscaling player looks better than outputting 480i (or p) from the same player and letting the TV do the scaling. I can do an A/B test myself and see that the upscaled image is crisper at the same end resolution when the player does the work.

There are lots of sites with better explanations than I can give. Here's one from:

Do you really think that all those experienced AVS members who bought upscaling players had the wool pulled over our eyes? 1:1 pixel mapping using an all-digital connection from a good upscaler isn't as good as HD DVD, but it's the next best thing because it reduces the number of errors introduced and amplified when the scaling is done at the end of the chain rather than the begining.

If you want to believe that upscaling is a worthless gimmick and the rest of us have all fallen victim to snake-oil salesmen, be my guest. I prefer to trust my own eyes.

No, no, no. You've completely misunderstood what I said. A good upscaling device is better than a bad upscaling device. You agree with that, right? Put another way, a good upscaling DVD player is better than a bad upscaling TV. Likewise, a bad upscaling DVD player is worse than a good upscaling TV. I can't put it any simpler. Do you disagree with this?

My original point was that digital TVs upscale. And the poster would be wasting his/her money if they got a upscaler that was not as good as the TV. It all goes back to this good vs bad thing, right?

Upscalers have nothing to do with snake-oil. A good external upscaler is MUCH better than a bad TV upscaler.
post #724 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as your comment about which end of the cable something happens on, you could not be more wrong. If you have exactly the same circuitry on either end of an HDMI cable, how could it possibly make a difference in the signal? If you're seeing a difference in the Faroudja chip depending on whether you use the upscaler's chip or the TV's chip, then it's because of other differences in the design. I believe you when you say you see a difference. I'm just trying to get you to understand that it has nothing to do with source vs destination. Know what I'm saying?
post #725 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.

All the flags and cadences and pulldowns that happen in the player can be converted more cleanly by a processor that sits right next to the chip that reads them and is engineered specifically to work in conjunction with it.

You will never have exactly the same circuitry on both ends, because the TV and player are designed separately. The TV has to be engineered to receive and display a fairly wide range of inputs from multiple devices with a myriad of designs. An upscaling player has everything in one box and can be tuned accordingly.

Yes, there are TVs that do a fine job of upscaling, but they tend to be expensive. In most cases a dedicated upscaler will do a better job than most TVs.

We're OT here, I think. This discussion has been going on for years in the SD DVD forum.
post #726 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.

All the flags and cadences and pulldowns that happen in the player can be converted more cleanly by a processor that sits right next to the chip that reads them and is engineered specifically to work in conjunction with it.

You will never have exactly the same circuitry on both ends, because the TV and player are designed separately. The TV has to be engineered to receive and display a fairly wide range of inputs from multiple devices with a myriad of designs. An upscaling player has everything in one box and can be tuned accordingly.

Yes, there are TVs that do a fine job of upscaling, but they tend to be expensive. In most cases a dedicated upscaler will do a better job than most TVs.

We're OT here, I think. This discussion has been going on for years in the SD DVD forum.

Yes, we've wandered OT, and I'll drop it. But I think that we're probably in a agreement more than you think.
post #727 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Yes, we've wandered OT, and I'll drop it. But I think that we're probably in a agreement more than you think.

Probably. Just running out of PS3 trolls to argue with, so we're turning on each other.
post #728 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought we just wanted audio update from MS asap???
post #729 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I thought we just wanted audio update from MS asap???

On that point, there is no disagreement.
post #730 of 2184 Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Heuy...I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't really feel like searchin forthe answer so...I'll just ask. Does the add-on upscale DVD's? I just finished watching Borat and man.....the picture quality looked really nice.

Thanx.

xboxlive member name: Fatius Jeebs (there is a space between both names)
post #731 of 2184 Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Upscaling only with VGA.

I really don't feel like typing any more, so ... I'll tell you to just search.
post #732 of 2184 Old 03-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

I personally have no issues with the sound of TrueHD tracks other than NIN Beside you in time (known bug...chirp/static).

DD+ (and DD to a lesser extent) are jacked though. There is no denying this on even a moderate system IMO.

I was at Kris Deerings and he didn't say anything just put in MI3...about 10 seconds in I asked what was up with the audio, sounded completely "dead". Dynamic range was very poor, weak bass, no air around highs...(DD+ track)

Thing is I still bought the add on. $140 after getting a CC $40 off coupon and selling King Kong. Video quality is excellent.

Also I have faith the audio issue will get resolved. Even with 640k DD you can hear that it isn't so much a technical limitation because the good TrueHD tracks sound just fine. Since it is completely a software based solution, once identified it should be quite fixable. Allowing 1.5M DTS transfer with a corrected decode should make this sound indistinguishable for most I believe.

So personally I still feel it is a great deal if you have an x360, just be warned that until an update occurs, the DD+ tracks will be sounding a little flat.

Paul Taatjes
post #733 of 2184 Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I have faith the audio issue will get resolved

At last night's HD-DVD event in Vancouver, Amir confirmed that the problem is well know, the fix is done and the system update will be released in approximately 4-6 weeks. Sit tight. The end is near.

Jody

Gamertag: MajorHellraiser
post #734 of 2184 Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

I'm tellin you man....that add-on has renewed my love for movie watching. I wish they would drop it to like 149.99 and eliminate the remote....it isn't really all that necessary.

post #735 of 2184 Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Upscaling only with VGA.

I really don't feel like typing any more, so ... I'll tell you to just search.

Aww man.....strange cause Borat looked phenomenal and I am using composite.

post #736 of 2184 Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Ok......this is gonna sound kinda dumb but I am trying to read up on the difference between the component and the VGA cables. I understand that the upscaling can only occur with the VGA but....which one actually delievers both better movie and gaming PQ?

post #737 of 2184 Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Depends on the display.

Component is going to look great for HD DVD and games, but it won't upscale standard DVDs. VGA does, but some TVs don't allow enough adjustments on that input to fill the screen or get the color right.

I know you hate to search or read long threads, but if you want more details the answers are all here.
post #738 of 2184 Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

So.. when is the MS audio upgrade for this player or can they upgrade?

I played both my DVD and HD-DVD of "Eagles-Farewell Tour" last night through my 360 @ VGA 1280x720 to a SONY HS-20 on a 104" screen with the HD-DVD add-on player. The video looked somewhat better on the HD-DVD, but not "blow me away"better. I could play the DVD in DTS 6.1, but the HD-DVD would only output DD5.1-EX. The audio was a defintely more dynamic from the DVD. I'll have to find a good movie I can compare also as concerts are probably not a good test sample.

I've been able to make no exact comparision, but at this point I think my PS3 is giving me a better video/audio experience that the 360 HD-DVD. I do enjoy having both and am hoping MS will upgrade their box with a download or with updated hardware.
post #739 of 2184 Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM

I have a questions regarding seeing subtitles. I use a Harmony 880 remote and when I go to set it up with my xbox I so not see anywhere I can assign a button to dsiplay subtitles. What I mean is that "subtitles" is not an entry in any of the drop downs. The only one there is "titles" which takes me to the menu. Am I missing something here? I have the XBOX 360 remote that came with the HDDVD player but it also does not have "subtitles".

Thanks
post #740 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpb View Post

I have a questions regarding seeing subtitles. I use a Harmony 880 remote and when I go to set it up with my xbox I so not see anywhere I can assign a button to dsiplay subtitles. What I mean is that "subtitles" is not an entry in any of the drop downs. The only one there is "titles" which takes me to the menu. Am I missing something here? I have the XBOX 360 remote that came with the HDDVD player but it also does not have "subtitles".

Thanks

You have to use "menu" to turn on subtitle. Xbox remote doesn't have separate key for turning on subtitle.
post #741 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate View Post

Holy fu*k!!! I've never been through so much to get my hands on a product to be this fu*king disappointed.

The picture is what i expected, really great. The audio on the other hand is completely lacking. It's worse than any DVD i've listened to. No highs, no lows. My 10 grand system might as well be a 28 inch tv. The Hulk is totally **** without good audio, when he's hitting the tanks he might as well be hitting them with pillows.

This piece of sh*t goes back asap and i'm getting a decent player.

I think this is a croc of.....

I have the add-on and my wife and I have totally noticed the improvement over the sound quality in SD-DVD.
The big difference came when I saw "Fear and Loathing In las Vegas". The scen towards the beginning when Depp forst gets to the Hotel. There is a cowboy on the phone asking someone about "Hoiw's ya'mama? The carpet pattern starts to crawl up his pants. On SD-DVD you cab barely hear what that guy is saying...when I saw it in HD_DVD...that man's conversation not only came out much louder and clearer but....it helped my friends and I tie in certain parts of the movie together. by the way....I have a Pioneer with 7.1 capabilites and all I am using is a standard optical cable.

post #742 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I will admit this, however.....MS needs to get rid of the stupid remote and start selling the player for like 139.99 or something. That remote does absolutely nothing for me and I'm sure most of you feel the same way. (at least I hope you all do) If they were to start to sell that player at 139.99 or 149.99 even...could you imagine what that could do for the format? I passed this idea by Amir's ears and he thought it was a good idea. He said we should start a poll.

post #743 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatiusJeebs View Post

I will admit this, however.....MS needs to get rid of the stupid remote and start selling the player for like 139.99 or something. That remote does absolutely nothing for me and I'm sure most of you feel the same way. (at least I hope you all do) If they were to start to sell that player at 139.99 or 149.99 even...could you imagine what that could do for the format? I passed this idea by Amir's ears and he thought it was a good idea. He said we should start a poll.

I actually like the remote. I also think the $200 is a STEAL for a hd-dvd player!!! But i guess it would be nice to make it an option for someone who doesnt want it.
post #744 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith198025 View Post

I actually like the remote. I also think the $200 is a STEAL for a hd-dvd player!!! But i guess it would be nice to make it an option for someone who doesnt want it.

Just curious Mr. Smith....did you buy the 299 or 399 xbox? If you bought the 299...then i understand. if you bought the 399.....doesn't that smaller remote work just as well for you? Does it really make a difference? (Seriously...I am just asking...not trying to sound sarcastic.)

post #745 of 2184 Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I think the small remote that came with the $399 system only came with launch systems. I don't think I got one with mine.

I for one wouldn't want a DVD player without a remote control...
post #746 of 2184 Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I think this is a croc of.....

I have the add-on and my wife and I have totally noticed the improvement over the sound quality in SD-DVD.
The big difference came when I saw "Fear and Loathing In las Vegas". The scen towards the beginning when Depp forst gets to the Hotel. There is a cowboy on the phone asking someone about "Hoiw's ya'mama? The carpet pattern starts to crawl up his pants. On SD-DVD you cab barely hear what that guy is saying...when I saw it in HD_DVD...that man's conversation not only came out much louder and clearer but....it helped my friends and I tie in certain parts of the movie together. by the way....I have a Pioneer with 7.1 capabilites and all I am using is a standard optical cable.

Sounds like reduced dynamic range giving dialogue similar output levels to special effects.... The exact problem that many (including MS) are trying to get fixed.
post #747 of 2184 Old 03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail View Post

Sounds like reduced dynamic range giving dialogue similar output levels to special effects.... The exact problem that many (including MS) are trying to get fixed.

Interesting but....I can honestly tell you that the effects still sounded pretty good. I am no sound expert but again.....my wife (who is actually a better sound geek than I am) and i have been very pleased with the sound.

By the way....I'm not callin anyone a geek...my wife just happens to be here watching me type this post.

I just got slapped.

post #748 of 2184 Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Sounds like reduced dynamic range giving dialogue similar output levels to special effects.... The exact problem that many (including MS) are trying to get fixed

Not trying.....done.

The fix is done....will be released in a few weeks.

Jody

Gamertag: MajorHellraiser
post #749 of 2184 Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting but....I can honestly tell you that the effects still sounded pretty good. I am no sound expert but again.....my wife (who is actually a better sound geek than I am) and i have been very pleased with the sound.

By the way....I'm not callin anyone a geek...my wife just happens to be here watching me type this post.

I just got slapped.

So, care to comment on why you think microsoft created a fix for this "croc of sh!t" allot of us are experiencing?
post #750 of 2184 Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyL View Post

Not trying.....done.

The fix is done....will be released in a few weeks.

Amen
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page