one and only 360 HD-DVD Drive thread & LINKS - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 2184 Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 AM
tno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing that this question is asked and answered four times on the last page of this thread. It's one thing to not search, it's another to not bother doing a quick scan of the last page of the thread. Ahh well.

Real question then:

If you had to choose between the 360 HDDVD addon and an HD-A2, which would you pick?

I feel compelled to make this decision but am hampered by different factors. First, I like the simplicity of having just one device handle all of my viewing (MCE extender for cable/DVR/movies, DVDs, games, HD DVDs), so ditching the A2 would allow me to pull off the one connection feat. On the other hand, I have really enjoyed the results of SD DVD upconversion with my A2, and don't want to give it up (I'm limited to component on the 360). So I'm in a bind. Thoughts?

Thanks.
tno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

No TrueHD, only DTS/DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2184 Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to jon96cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tno View Post

Amazing that this question is asked and answered four times on the last page of this thread. It's one thing to not search, it's another to not bother doing a quick scan of the last page of the thread. Ahh well.

Real question then:

If you had to choose between the 360 HDDVD addon and an HD-A2, which would you pick?

I feel compelled to make this decision but am hampered by different factors. First, I like the simplicity of having just one device handle all of my viewing (MCE extender for cable/DVR/movies, DVDs, games, HD DVDs), so ditching the A2 would allow me to pull off the one connection feat. On the other hand, I have really enjoyed the results of SD DVD upconversion with my A2, and don't want to give it up (I'm limited to component on the 360). So I'm in a bind. Thoughts?

Thanks.
tno

I have the 360 HDDVD add on and a component connection to my TV and I borrowed my friends HDMI 360 and I really didn't notice that much of a difference in picture quality. Here is a link to see the difference between HDMI and Component with the 360. http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/x...ssic-the-test/

Jon
XBL Gamertag: jon96cobra
post #2133 of 2184 Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Real question then:

Thanks.
tno

I sold my add on a long time ago to get an A2. If you have an HDMI AVR then its a no brainer, no lossless at all coming from the 360 add on, plus the DVD upconversion, and its much quieter.
post #2134 of 2184 Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Does anyone know if the HD DVD Drive in the Xbox 360 stand alone player is the same as the drive unit in the Toshiba A3? My A3 disc drive is acting up and I want to repace it myself
post #2135 of 2184 Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Free 'Zoom Player' plays .EVO streams without any issue for me.
post #2136 of 2184 Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently bought an HP pavillion PC that runs Vista 64 bit. I hooked up my HD DVD drive and Vista automatically installed the drivers for the HD DVD. The computer has an HDMI output on it. However, I want to play my HD DVD's on my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks. You can send me a private email if you prefer.
post #2137 of 2184 Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Real question then:

Thanks.
tno

I have both and use both;the A2 gives you lossless sound if connected to an HDMI receiver,the Add-On gives you 1080p output(A2 is 1080i only).
I give the upconversion nod to the A2,but the Add-On connected via HDMI to a 1080p display is actually pretty good,and a tad underrated.
post #2138 of 2184 Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I recently bought an HP pavillion PC that runs Vista 64 bit. I hooked up my HD DVD drive and Vista automatically installed the drivers for the HD DVD. The computer has an HDMI output on it. However, I want to play my HD DVD's on my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks. You can send me a private email if you prefer.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #2139 of 2184 Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Any help would be appreciated.

You need software that will support HD-DVD. Corel's WinDVD Plus Bluray V9.0 says it supports HD-DVD playback.
post #2140 of 2184 Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy C View Post

You need software that will support HD-DVD. Corel's WinDVD Plus Bluray V9.0 says it supports HD-DVD playback.

Is there any free software out there or what software is the most economical. My HP laptop has a Blu-ray player which my Microsoft Vista software supports but it does not support the HD DVD drive for video playback. It's ironic that Microsoft does not support HD DVD which was its HD format of choice. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.
post #2141 of 2184 Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM

I did a quick search on this thread but didn't find anything relevant.

Today, while watching regular TV and both the 360 and HD DVD drive were on, I noticed the drive's eject button light (always green) had turned red.

Bricks were shat, and I thought -great, my cheap find really ended way too early; I got this drive plus about 20 movies for less than $90, remote included.

I did see on Microsoft's KB to leave the unit to cool down. It hasn't been more than 5 minutes since mine went red, but has anyone here had their HD DVD drive go red on them?
post #2142 of 2184 Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM

I haven't picked up the 360 drive yet for my laptop, just wanted to see if anyone here knows if it will work.

It's a 2ghz core 2 duo with 4gb of ram with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

it's vista 32 bit

is the only thing I need to do is download AnyDVDHD and be able to run it that way? Any and all help is immensely appreciated. thanks in advance.
post #2143 of 2184 Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM

I am new to this thread so forgive me if this question ahs already been answered but has anyone wondered how a simple USB cable (480 mb/s) can transfer all the data that a HDDVD contains when we are told that we need HDMI 1.3 for 1080p which transport 10.2 GB/s of data?
post #2144 of 2184 Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I figure the HD-DVD drive is just outputting the compressed data from the disc to the 360 via the USB cable. Even if you had a relatively short movie completely filling a dual-layer disc, that'd be 30 GB / 90 min = 45.5 Mbps, if my quick arithmetic is correct.
The 360 is decoding and outputting the ("uncompressed") video signal to the display. And THAT is the connection where the high bandwidth of HDMI (or component video) is necessary.
post #2145 of 2184 Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Has anyone bought the reconditioned HD DVD add on drive from buydotcom. Does it come in the factory box with King Kong HD DVD and remote?

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #2146 of 2184 Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

yes, yes, no, yes.

That is to say, I just bought one, it came in the factory box, it DID NOT have the King Kong HD-DVD, but it did have the remote (and power brick/cable, data cable, installation disc, and manuals).
post #2147 of 2184 Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Hi I do not know if this has been answered or not but I will ask anyways. Can the xbox hd dvd player be hooked up to the ps3 usb ports and work? I was just wondering because I really did not want to have both systems in the same room. Let me know thanks
post #2148 of 2184 Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohustla View Post

Hi I do not know if this has been answered or not but I will ask anyways. Can the xbox hd dvd player be hooked up to the ps3 usb ports and work? I was just wondering because I really did not want to have both systems in the same room. Let me know thanks

No, the HD DVD add on is just a drive. All the supporting code for playback, etc...are running on the 360. There is no code or drivers for the PS3.
post #2149 of 2184 Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

I broke out the Transformers HD-DVD the other night and every 5-10 minutes I guess the video would drop out, the XBOX white and green screen logo would appear for about half a second then jump back to the video and continue on for about 5-10 minutes then drop out to the boot screen again. I have never watched an HD-DVD on THIS particular 360. Games and other Xbox Live stuff are fine without issue.

Its a situation of console -> receiver -> TV.

Console is a 360 Elite on HDMI
Receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR700 w/HDMI 1.2a
TV is a Toshiba 65HM167 w/HDMI 1.3

My PS3 plays Blu-ray fine on HDMI and like I said, everything else in the 360 works fine. Just HD-DVD movies.

Thanks.
post #2150 of 2184 Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, the HD DVD add on is just a drive. All the supporting code for playback, etc...are running on the 360. There is no code or drivers for the PS3.

Do you know if this works with a PC (XP or Vista) ? Thanks.
post #2151 of 2184 Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Yes though you will need software to play back the movies as well as an HDCP capable video card. The drive itself will be recognized and download the needed drivers to work under Vista/Win7. I think you manually have to find/download/install the drivers under WinXP (been a while since I did on that OS).
post #2152 of 2184 Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Yes though you will need software to play back the movies as well as an HDCP capable video card. The drive itself will be recognized and download the needed drivers to work under Vista/Win7. I think you manually have to find/download/install the drivers under WinXP (been a while since I did on that OS).

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know you could use the HDDVD add on with a Windows PC. Do you know if you can use the add on to rip the movies to the hard drive (assuming you have the right ripping software)?

Thanks,
Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2153 of 2184 Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know you could use the HDDVD add on with a Windows PC. Do you know if you can use the add on to rip the movies to the hard drive (assuming you have the right ripping software)?

Yes, that's what I use it for...to rip them to my PC for use with Window Media Center. You'll still need the playback software, etc..
post #2154 of 2184 Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

I broke out the Transformers HD-DVD the other night and every 5-10 minutes I guess the video would drop out, the XBOX white and green screen logo would appear for about half a second then jump back to the video and continue on for about 5-10 minutes then drop out to the boot screen again.

I recently (read: yesterday) switched over from VGA output to HDMI on my 360. My first trial HD DVD viewing from the add-on and the new set up worked without a hitch. Later that night I tried a different HD DVD and got the same results as you; however, I also received a message stating "HDCP Link Not Established" or something similar every now and then. Obviously with the previous VGA output I didn't need to worry about HDCP but now with the HDMI I guess I do. I'm going to switch to a different USB cable tonight and see if that clears up the annoying video drops.
post #2155 of 2184 Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 AM

So I did a ton of troubleshooting last night and I figured out what the issue was. It wasn't the Toshiba HDMI cable. It wasn't the Monoprice USB cable nor the USB hub nor the HDMI switchbox. No, it was because I am currently using both HDMI-out and a Monoprice s-video/component for optical-out at the same time. There's a small notch in the Monoprice cable that allows the HDMI cable to be used at the same time in the 360. Even though I'm not utilizing any video signal from that cable, I guess the 360 can still sense that I could and is running an HDCP check every 10 minutes or so. Once I removed the Monoprice s-video/component cable I no longer got video dropouts back to the white and green 360 logo screen.

But I likes my cheap optical output so the Monoprice cable stays, heh. I have an HD-XA1 hooked-up to the same HDTV so it's not like I really need to have HD DVD ability via the 360. It was convenient to be on Live and watching a movie while waiting for friends to show up but I guess it'll be DVD-only for me from here on out with the add-on.
post #2156 of 2184 Old 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I broke out the Transformers HD-DVD the other night and every 5-10 minutes I guess the video would drop out, the XBOX white and green screen logo would appear for about half a second then jump back to the video and continue on for about 5-10 minutes then drop out to the boot screen again. I have never watched an HD-DVD on THIS particular 360. Games and other Xbox Live stuff are fine without issue.

My PS3 plays Blu-ray fine on HDMI and like I said, everything else in the 360 works fine. Just HD-DVD movies.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post

I recently (read: yesterday) switched over from VGA output to HDMI on my 360. My first trial HD DVD viewing from the add-on and the new set up worked without a hitch. Later that night I tried a different HD DVD and got the same results as you; however, I also received a message stating "HDCP Link Not Established" or something similar every now and then. Obviously with the previous VGA output I didn't need to worry about HDCP but now with the HDMI I guess I do. I'm going to switch to a different USB cable tonight and see if that clears up the annoying video drops.

Man, I hope I can get an answer on this months later. I'm having the exact same issue. I dug out the old 360 HD DVD add-on because blu-ray movies are starting to be released that'll no longer play on my Samsung combo player, so if I need to get a new blu-ray player I was going to fall back on the 360 add-on for the rare occassion I watch an HD DVD. Well, this is the first time I've used the add-on with my HDMI-equipped xBox 360 (had to get a new one of those last fall after I got RROD). And the problem the two of you describing is exactly what I'm experiencing. Any help would be much appreciated.

What's worse, I think the video drop-outs just fried the HDMI-out port on my receiver, because it's not outputting a signal at all any more from any devices

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
post #2157 of 2184 Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Man, I hope I can get an answer on this months later. I'm having the exact same issue. I dug out the old 360 HD DVD add-on because blu-ray movies are starting to be released that'll no longer play on my Samsung combo player, so if I need to get a new blu-ray player I was going to fall back on the 360 add-on for the rare occassion I watch an HD DVD. Well, this is the first time I've used the add-on with my HDMI-equipped xBox 360 (had to get a new one of those last fall after I got RROD). And the problem the two of you describing is exactly what I'm experiencing. Any help would be much appreciated.

What's worse, I think the video drop-outs just fried the HDMI-out port on my receiver, because it's not outputting a signal at all any more from any devices

Dont worry, your not alone...mine still has this issue.

And it sucks.

Im not sure about my other hd movies (i probly have 12-15-but I dont even try and watch them because of this very issue) but transformers 1 is completely un-watchable because of the constant drop outs...but when I play transformers it drops out every 30 secs to 2 min
post #2158 of 2184 Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudotrue View Post

I haven't picked up the 360 drive yet for my laptop, just wanted to see if anyone here knows if it will work.

It's a 2ghz core 2 duo with 4gb of ram with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

it's vista 32 bit

is the only thing I need to do is download AnyDVDHD and be able to run it that way? Any and all help is immensely appreciated. thanks in advance.

yes hd-dvd will work just fine on that setup. You will need a software player though

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #2159 of 2184 Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

sounds like a TV issue. the only time my 360 does that is when I turn off the TV with the console on and then turn the TV back on (Like if I have to go somewhere for 30 mins or something)

Is there are firmware update for your set?

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #2160 of 2184 Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM

I know, I know, this thread is OLD, but I gotta say, I just got my HDDVD add on drive for the xbox and am amazed. I can't believe they weren't all bought up on amazon.com. Especially for how cheap movies can be found for. I will be enjoying blu-ray AND HDDVD.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page