Monoprice HDX-501 and Toshiba HD-A1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! It's a new girl with a prob! Maybe you guys will have some feedback or information that can help with this particular clusterf*ck I have going on here!

I have the following setup:

Sony 61" 3LCD HD Wega Engine (1xHDMI)
Toshiba HD-A1 via HDMI
Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR via HDMI
Sony PS3 via HDMI
Xbox 360
Monoprice HDX-501 (5xHDMI)

I just recently got the PS3 and decided to buy the Monoprice unit for more needed HDMI inputs. I read reviews and everyone loved it, but I guess everyone didn't own the Toshiba HD-A1 and used the two in conjunction. When I connect the HD-A1 directly to my TV's HDMI, they two work fine. But, when I use the switcher I get the splash screen and the error message(just like all the typical posts regarding this problem). So, it's obvious that the two aren't making a handshake and something isn't right. I read in the forums and it said that the FW update would fix this problem, well I have the current version (downloaded tonight via ethernet) and I am still having this problem. It's odd because I can access the onscreen HDDVD setup with the HDMI connection but when I attempt to play a movie I then receive the error message.

I have unplugged everything from all power sources and in this order, plugged my TV back up, then the switcher, then the HDDVD player, and still no luck! My PS3, my HDDVR cablebox, and my Sony HD camcorder all work perfectly via the Monoprice switcher. Any advice or information would be much appreciated. I just hate to not use the HDMI out on the HD-A1 but am looking at being forced to use component cables for the HD out (ick ) to gain the additional ports on the switcher from the HDMI out on my TV. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you tried different HD-DVD's with the same outcome or just one?

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #3 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

Have you tried different HD-DVD's with the same outcome or just one?

Yes, I have tried Apollo 13, Happy Gilmore, The Break Up, and Slither....
post #4 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've had a similar type of issues, but not with a HD DVD player, that actually worked fine. It was the Blu-ray player that had problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748771

Tony!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
post #5 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 PM

Some suggestions if you haven't tried them already:

Make sure you've selected the HDMI output on the HD-A1 using the "V.OUTPUT" button (third from the top-left on the remote). You should see a small "HDMI" at the top of the display.

Select the proper resolution for your display (720p or 1080i) on the HD-A1 using the "RESOLUTION" button (fourth from the top-left). You should see the selected resolution on the left side of the display.

Make sure you select the correct port you're plugged into on the switch.

Try a different port on the switch and see if that works (make sure you select the one you use).

Allen
post #6 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHicks View Post

Some suggestions if you haven't tried them already:

Make sure you've selected the HDMI output on the HD-A1 using the "V.OUTPUT" button (third from the top-left on the remote). You should see a small "HDMI" at the top of the display.

Select the proper resolution for your display (720p or 1080i) on the HD-A1 using the "RESOLUTION" button (fourth from the top-left). You should see the selected resolution on the left side of the display.

Make sure you select the correct port you're plugged into on the switch.

Try a different port on the switch and see if that works (make sure you select the one you use).

Check, check, check, and check.... I've done all these things and more multiple times...
post #7 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would unplug everything from the switcher except the A1 and the TV, set the output resolution on the A1 as low as 480p if possible to see if it is a bandwidth related issue with the switch.

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #8 of 63 Old 11-26-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

I would unplug everything from the switcher except the A1 and the TV, set the output resolution on the A1 as low as 480p if possible to see if it is a bandwidth related issue with the switch.

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I had already tried that. The only thing hooked up to the switcher is the A1.
post #9 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your screwed just as I am...

On my display the mono price switcher does the same darn thing even though it is stated by others that it works for them.

A true manual switcher should work for you though I don't have on yet.

Digital video connections are down right evil.
post #10 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Digital video connections are down right evil.

Digital video connections are great. It's the copy protection that's evil.
post #11 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not so sure it is all due to HDCP in all honesty.

Quirky... I mean you black and white crush problems and other loose standards making connection issues very common.
post #12 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 AM

You may want to look at a Markertek or Octava switcher. I don't have either, but have read positive posts from users on this forum. Good Luck, links below:

http://www.markertek.com/index.asp

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%202port.htm
post #13 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have the same situation but I got mine to work. I struggled it with it for two weeks.
First make sure you have Revision 2.0 of the switch. if you do not just email tech support and they will send u the proper revision. Their support is excellent.

I kept getting the HDMI ERROR 1 when I went to switch from my Sat box to the HD-A1. My last resort was to try a different HDMI cable then the one that came with the HD-A1 and lo and behold it works like a charm. So in my situation it wasa cable problem. Try switching out the HDMI cable that came with the HD-A1 for a better one.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #14 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 AM

Shark & C3GIRL: The issue can very well with the cables in combo with the switch as Shark noted. I have both the 2X and 5X (with FW 2.0) with monoprice HDMI cables (3 ft) and the setup works fine. The setup will distort the digital waveform - the longer the cable length the more the distortion - also cables, as noted. Some monitors are less robust to distortion and hence you can get errors with the "evil" HDCP
post #15 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In my case I have tried all possible cable switch outs. The only thing I have not tried is making the cable from the switch to the projector the short one instead of just using a long run from the projector to the AV rack from the switch. I am going to try that today though before I send it back.

Monoprice was great though, they sent me a 35' foot HDMI to M1 cable and another switcher over night to try. The revision of the switch I have is the newer revision 2.1, are you guys sayng the 2.0 may work where this newer revision does not?
post #16 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
All I know is that Rev. 2.0 works for me with a new cable to replace the one that came form Toshiba. My cable run(s) are no more than 6ft.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #17 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I may inquire about this. At lunch today I am going to try a short run from the projector to the switch instead of the long run and make two long runs, one from each device to the switch. In other words install the switch at the projector instead of my AV rack. I will call them and ask them about the rev 2.0. There could very well be something that was changed in the 2.1 that could make it not work I suppose.
post #18 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I had a similar issue of loosing the handshake. I added the Monoprice "Port Savers." and they solved the problem for me. It seems that the heavy HDMI cables can come loose in the internal ports of the switch or some other component. The low price "Port Savers" make a very snug connection and put less stress on the internal connectors. I have not had an issue since I installed them. I am using the following components.

1 Toshiba HD 1
2. Oppo 971
3. Panasonic 97S
4. SA cable box with DVR
5 Monoprice 5x1 switcher rev 2.0
6. Panasonic 900 projector
7. Monoprice cables and "Port Savers" on all inputs.
post #19 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a rev 2.1 5x1 switcher and have no issues switching between my HD-A1 and HTPC to output onto my Pearl projector.

However, my DirecTV H20 receiver doesn't like the Monoprice switcher. I just get a flickering blue screen. I have to plug the H20 directly into the Pearl for it to work. Interestingly, I can "hot swap" it back to the HDMI switch, and will will continue to work until I switch to another input and then go back.
post #20 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm1 View Post

Shark & C3GIRL: The issue can very well with the cables in combo with the switch as Shark noted. I have both the 2X and 5X (with FW 2.0) with monoprice HDMI cables (3 ft) and the setup works fine. The setup will distort the digital waveform - the longer the cable length the more the distortion - also cables, as noted. Some monitors are less robust to distortion and hence you can get errors with the "evil" HDCP

Thanks for the input regarding the cables. I have never used the supplied HDMI cable that Toshiba sent with the A1. I currently use Monster Cable HDMI cables priced at $149 each and 4 ft in length. So, I don't think that the cables are the problem.....
post #21 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonm3girl View Post

Thanks for the input regarding the cables. I have never used the supplied HDMI cable that Toshiba sent with the A1. I currently use Monster Cable HDMI cables priced at $149 each and 4 ft in length. So, I don't think that the cables are the problem.....

You'd be suprised, i would try a Monoprice cable, their cable work life a charm and i've seen Setup with a :

Sony XSRD, a HD A1, Cable HD box and HTPC all plugged to you're switch (the same one), all of them using Monoprice Cable and all work like a charm..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #22 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonm3girl View Post

Well for kicks and grins try it. What's the worst that can happen, you don't negotiate the HDCP handshake and you get HDMI Error 1? Hmm, you're already there aren't you?

The price you paid for the Monsters is irrelevant.

In my experience, the HD-A1 can be way temperemental and the switch that works the best for me is the Sherwood Newcastle 2 HDMI + Component (HS-600 is the model #). I have to cascade switches, and so long as the Sherwood is last in the chain, it works perfectly with the HD-A1.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer

Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #23 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

In my case I have tried all possible cable switch outs. The only thing I have not tried is making the cable from the switch to the projector the short one instead of just using a long run from the projector to the AV rack from the switch. I am going to try that today though before I send it back.

Monoprice was great though, they sent me a 35' foot HDMI to M1 cable and another switcher over night to try. The revision of the switch I have is the newer revision 2.1, are you guys sayng the 2.0 may work where this newer revision does not?

Heck, I had the opposite experience. Although I was within my 21 day return or exchange period I was told that it was my Sony 60" XSRD that was the problem. I have the problem with both my HD DVD and Blue Ray player. Tried everything under the sun, went back and forth with monoprice for a week only to be told it was my tv at fault. Never ever ever ever ever again.
post #24 of 63 Old 11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

HDCP sucks, It should never have been implemented. There are so many problems it is amazing that we all stand for it. It is not the Switcher it is that it is nearly impossible to get it right for all components. There have been many threads about this including threats of a class action suite. For those new to the issue there may be a few things to try.

1. Check your connections and make sure they are secure.
2. Unplug and reseat all connectors. (They can easily become loose not like the good connections of DVI)
3. Check the length of the cable and try a different one if available.
4. Try the Monoprice "port savers" I have never had a problem since I installed them and others have had similar success. It seems that the HDMI connectors can get loose often. They have 19 connectors in them and if even one does not connect there can be a problem.

HDCP and HDMI have caused problems since day 1. I previously owend a Sanyo Z2 projector and I could never get it to work properly even after firmware updates. Sanyo washed its hands of the problem. Others have reported issues with Samsung and Sony sets. I went crazy with the HD1 until I installed the firmware updates and installed the port savers. Things have been fine for over two months with no HDCP issues.
post #25 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 AM

C3GIRL: Exactly as rwestley says: HDCP sucks. Go thru all the steps he suggests. The fact that you are using Monster cables doesn't matter a hill of beans, as John Kotches says. My experience in troubleshooting other systems has been with the interface between the cables and the connectors - ie for sure use the port savers. If all fails, go to the Sherwood or similar.
post #26 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Try the "PORT Savers" first. The make the connection very snug. I was having a problem with a cable until I installed them and my problems were solved. They also help to reduce the weight on the internal connectors. A great low cost tweak that has solved problems for me.
I bought six and the price is under $3.00 each
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
post #27 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't believe that could help me. I mean, I laid my A1 my BD-1000 and the switcher out on a large table and had lots of cables to swap around, including a new long run from monoprice for my projector run. Nothing could of been strained, and certainly not consistantly amoung all the cable swaps.

This switch just isn't going to work for all of us.
post #28 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

John, you are probably correct since you have already tried different cable swaps. I think it will be impossible to develop a switch or any other HDCP product that will be compatable with everything. I am one of gthe lucky ones in that the Port Savers helped me. I am wondering if you might have a loose connector in the switch or as you say it is just not compatable with you components.
post #29 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, they sent me a replacement switch and no go either.

That darn A1 is picky and crude on it's hand shaking, I think ican only hope a manual switcher works or Tosh puts out another FW that improves it.
post #30 of 63 Old 11-28-2006, 11:12 AM

rwestley, I have a Z2, do you know if, with the switcher, my HD-A1 could work using HDMI output?

Meaning that, the HD-A1 would handshake with the switcher and then the Z2 would also handshake with the Swicther (35' HDMI-HDMI cable + DVI adaptor), hoping that the switcher in my scenario would work.

Any comment?

Thank you.

Pitou!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page