Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1448 Old 12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah crap... 3 months? Considering M$ is now battling the PS3, you'd think they would do everything in their power to push the x360/hd-dvd format... Come on already! I was seriously considering picking up one of these drives, but wanted to see how the DD+ & lag issue panned out.. Guess I'll be waiting
post #183 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
3 months for DTS to be added....it does NOT say 3 months to fix the DD+ issue.

Jonathan
post #184 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

3 months for DTS to be added....it does NOT say 3 months to fix the DD+ issue.

Jonathan

I am not quite sure that Amir or other MS insider has acknowledged the DD+ issue to date....am I wrong or is this one of the many bugs the MS team is fixing?
post #185 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

I am not quite sure that Amir or other MS insider has acknowledged the DD+ issue to date....am I wrong or is this one of the many bugs the MS team is fixing?

Good point. I have seen references to suggest they are "investigating" it but not confirmation.
post #186 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 643
What lag issue?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #187 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What lag issue?

Agreed, all my HD DVD movies have played flawlessly on my 360 addon.

Batman Begins, Serenity, Superman Returns, MI:3, King Kong.

Tom Crews
post #188 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

Agreed, all my HD DVD movies have played flawlessly on my 360 addon.

Batman Begins, Serenity, Superman Returns, MI:3, King Kong.

Tom Crews

TrueHD tracks appear to have a slight lag. It's more pronounced the bigger the screen.
post #189 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post

TrueHD tracks appear to have a slight lag. It's more pronounced the bigger the screen.

That makes no sense to me. How would screen size affect it?

57" TV with no issues. Not huge by any means but not small either.

Tom Crews
post #190 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I haven't experienced any lag at all.

3 months is a long time, but oh well considering I'm going to be getting my stand alone player, it won't matter here shortly.
post #191 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post

That makes no sense to me. How would screen size affect it?

57" TV with no issues. Not huge by any means but not small either.

Tom Crews

I don't notice it on a 32" but do on my 96" projector screen.
post #192 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 AM

3 month?!! You are kidding!

*Knocking-on-Microsofts-head* Hello, anybody at home!

3 weeks is acceptable but not 3 month! In my area people are already selling the drives because of the crushed dynamics - in 3 weeks I will sell mine! I will not watch HD movies on christmas with Mickey Mouse Sound!

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #193 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
3 months... Global spring Dashboard update? I was afraid of that. We can hope for earlier though.

However, while I don't like the audio "flatness" issue, what is making me consider returning my unit is the lag issue. I have until early January to do so (assuming they'll even take it back, given that I have opened my King Kong HD DVD).

OTOH, what's tempering that is the fact that the Xbox 360's video playback and audio handling is software based, and this is potentially correctable with just a software update, as well as the fact that Microsoft is aware of the existence of these issues and acknowledges them. Furthermore, given the relatively low cost of the unit (US$175 here with remote, King King HD DVD, and King King game in my case), it's not a huge amount of money.

If I had paid CAD$699 for the HD-A1 and had similar issues, I'd be p!ssed right off. There's no way I would have kept the HD-A1 at that price, given its issues. (Actually, I paid a little over US$200 for the HD-A1 and still returned it.)

Quote:

I don't notice it on a 32" but do on my 96" projector screen.

It has nothing to do with the screen size.

Perhaps your 32" has some inherent video lag. If so, then you will notice the Xbox 360's HD DVD audio lag less.

BTW, the lag is present not just on TrueHD. It's also present with DD+ tracks, albeit it's much less noticeable on DD+. Check out this thread for more information.
post #194 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

It has nothing to do with the screen size.

Perhaps your 32" has some inherent video lag. If so, then you will notice the Xbox 360's HD DVD audio lag less.

BTW, the lag is present not just on TrueHD. It's also present with DD+ tracks, albeit it's much less noticeable on DD+. Check out this thread for more information.

The 32" doesn't have any video lag, I've noticed the slight difference of sync on multiple displays according to size, I'm not saying it's there on one and not another, audio lag is more 'noticable' on a larger screen though imo.
post #195 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

3 months at the end of the year... Hmm... I guess Microsoft people do take their time off to be with their family and loved ones (or the DTS people to help with porting the DTS encoder, or the Dolby people to help diagnose the dynamic range issues).

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
post #196 of 1448 Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
3 months for hopefully fixed audio? Damn. They better give us an option to output at different resolution based on game or movie.
post #197 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it would be a big mistake to wait 3 months to address the sound issues on the HD DVD addon. Most opinions on the picture quality are unanimous in saying that it holds up very well to the standalone players; audio quality however is not so well received. Reading on the forums on www.dvdtimes.co.uk the sound issues are being mentioned there as well and many are not impressed.

MS needs to get the patch out there now to take advantage of the momentum HD DVD has at the moment. And the 360 also has to have all the weapons in its arsenal firing when the inevitable comparisons are done with the ps3 and the HDMI question comes up.
post #198 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 07:34 PM

When I met Amir, he said that the DTS encoder is done, but they are at the mercy of the xbox group to release it. Nothing they can do about that.

Also have you guys experimented in boosting the LFE 10dB+ for the dynamic range compression issue?

ÂMusic is the arithmetic of sounds as optics is the geometry of light. --Claude Debussy
post #199 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertA View Post

When I met Amir, he said that the DTS encoder is done, but they are at the mercy of the xbox group to release it. Nothing they can do about that.

Also have you guys experimented in boosting the LFE 10dB+ for the dynamic range compression issue?

Does not solve the issue.
post #200 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

I think it would be a big mistake to wait 3 months to address the sound issues on the HD DVD addon. Most opinions on the picture quality are unanimous in saying that it holds up very well to the standalone players; audio quality however is not so well received. Reading on the forums on www.dvdtimes.co.uk the sound issues are being mentioned there as well and many are not impressed.

MS needs to get the patch out there now to take advantage of the momentum HD DVD has at the moment. And the 360 also has to have all the weapons in its arsenal firing when the inevitable comparisons are done with the ps3 and the HDMI question comes up.

Did Amir acknowledged that there is a problem with lipsync on TrueHD and DD+ flat dynamic ? And is the new DTS encoder a work around for these problems or is there a separate fix?
post #201 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Three months is not acceptable in the middle of a war. Even when your winning! Get with guys. Don't pull a Sony.
post #202 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Three months is not acceptable in the middle of a war. Even when your winning! Get with guys. Don't pull a Sony.

hey i have to give credit where credit is due. the ps3 update today fixes (somewhat) the scaling issues with 1080i televisions. that's not bad just 3 weeks after launch...

EDIT: oops, looks like i gave credit too early. the update apparently does nothing to fix any of the scaling problems...sorry for the false alarm...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #203 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

hey i have to give credit where credit is due. the ps3 update today fixes (somewhat) the scaling issues with 1080i televisions. that's not bad just 3 weeks after launch...

No it doesn't.
post #204 of 1448 Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 PM

Just finished watching Aeon Flux and I have to sya its the best PQ I've seen so far on the HD, through the xbox 360 add-on. The DD+ track is a different story. It has a DTS too, and I have switched and played with it for about an hour. Everything sound the same, I do have to turn up the receiever when switching to DD+, I have a sound meter so I know it's at the same level. It all sounds good untill the action starts. Explosions and basically all action scenes get muted and quiet instantly. It feels as if the xbox "bogs" down. It's like the 360 cant keep up with the sound. Kinda like when a game has slowdowns do to too much on-screen action. I hope they're able to fix it.
post #205 of 1448 Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 AM

Has anyone tried using the stereo feed from the 360 into ProLogic II with a HD film ?
Does it sound any better than the compressed (?) DD+ ?
post #206 of 1448 Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

The update does NOT enable scaling of 720p content to 1080i, which was the issue reported.

And this is not relevant to the topic.
post #207 of 1448 Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

Did Amir acknowledged that there is a problem with lipsync on TrueHD and DD+ flat dynamic ? And is the new DTS encoder a work around for these problems or is there a separate fix?

When I contacted Amir he did state he would forward the issues to the team involved for investigation. I think since then he has acknowledged that all reported issues are being looked at. Whether these issues will be addressed in the DTS update is not clear (at least to my knowledge).

I know Amir and the Xbox team are trying hard and am encouraged that they are listening and thank them for that. Lets hope it wont be a long wait for the update.
post #208 of 1448 Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Has anyone tried using the stereo feed from the 360 into ProLogic II with a HD film ?
Does it sound any better than the compressed (?) DD+ ?

I tried this, and it sounded even worse (especially in terms of the soundscape). Seems to make sense, since the initial process of converting from DD+ to something the Xbox understands is still the same, regardless.

Here's something else interesting. I watched Superman Returns with the TrueHD soundtrack on the add-on. Just about all of the background news reporting going on in the movie (as a backdrop to the main action) sounded practically muted, as if there's some soundfield or mixing issue too. I had to turn on the subtitles to understand what was being said. I felt that there's no way the mix on the disc would be like that, so I tried a stand-alone player. With the stand-alone player, this issue went away and the background dialog was at an understandable level (like in the theater). Then I tried the DD+ soundtrack on both players and it was the same. I think there's a combination of different sound problems with the add-on. Has anyone else noticed this?
post #209 of 1448 Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous View Post

I tried this, and it sounded even worse (especially in terms of the soundscape). Seems to make sense, since the initial process of converting from DD+ to something the Xbox understands is still the same, regardless.

Here's something else interesting. I watched Superman Returns with the TrueHD soundtrack on the add-on. Just about all of the background news reporting going on in the movie (as a backdrop to the main action) sounded practically muted, as if there's some soundfield or mixing issue too. I had to turn on the subtitles to understand what was being said. I felt that there's no way the mix on the disc would be like that, so I tried a stand-alone player. With the stand-alone player, this issue went away and the background dialog was at an understandable level (like in the theater). Then I tried the DD+ soundtrack on both players and it was the same. I think there's a combination of different sound problems with the add-on. Has anyone else noticed this?

Which scene was it?
post #210 of 1448 Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 PM

I know that this will be useless info......I just want to gripe too.

Just did the 'ol switch back and forth between reg DVD (Mi3) and HD DVD. Lips seemed to be on but sound had no range on the HDDVD.

done griping sorry to re-post what has been posted a hundred times. Can't wait till they fix this 159.99 paper weight.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page