Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^ Looks like a Hitachi rebadge.

Check the display forums for better info on dispalys.

I personally wouldn't recommend any set smaller than 50" to truly take advantage of HD discs. DVDs look fine on 42" sets to most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Tried to register my A2 online with Toshiba but A2 not listed yet from drop down model numbers. E-mailed them and reply was to send in the hard copy to register. I hate filling out those cards so hope they get the A2 listed in a few days. I e-mailed the CS and WebMaster both.

Bill
post #453 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

Yes, only the one pause for entire disc and always can be repeated in same place after cleaning or power on off reset so I think the A2 is fine and must be a bad authored HD_disc or defective disc. Hope some other folks can test this out on their A2.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago on my xa1 and thought (and still think) it was just a bad edit.

X
post #454 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ive read though a lot of these pages, people ask it... but is there any defenitive answer for us.... does the A2 look better picture quality wise with HD DVDs than the A1??? Iam really happy with my A1, and I have no one to sell it to really.... I dont want to jump to a A2 just yet if there is no real difference in over all picture quality. I can live with the quirks of the player (like load times and other things), but as long as the over all picture quality is about the same then im happy with my A1 for a while longer.

Also, not that im too interested at the moment but when does the X2 come out?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #455 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

I personally wouldn't recommend any set smaller than 50" to truly take advantage of HD discs. DVDs look fine on 42" sets to most.

I wouldn't recommend a Philips period. They sell cheap for a reason.
post #456 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

hmmm please enlighten us on the reasons
post #457 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

I and alot of others like myself would disagree with this, although it may be true for some displays.

I can definately tell the difference between SD-DVD-OTA/Cable HD Broadcast and HD-HDDVD on my 34" Direct view and have heard some with as small as 26" displays and HDDVD 17 notebooks user enjoying it also.

Size does indeed matter in seeing the difference between HD and SD, but it is only one of many factors.
In general the larger the display the bigger the PQ difference between the two.
However if you have an HDTV it is meant for HD, and it should look better with the best HD available or why have the TV.
Of course it definately depends on your display, check the forum for your display model and hddvd to see how others are doing.
I currently have the xbox360 addon and will probably upgradedto an A2 for it's upconversion performance in a few months.
While my Standard def King Kong looks great for a standard def dvd, at 480P and even better at 960i (doubled) and 1080i upconverted, It just dosent get any better than HDDVD at 1080i on my display, simply "Beautiful" and full of detail at 6-8 feet away in the daytime, and even better at night with no lights.
post #458 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Schell View Post

Here are the differences between the HD-A2 and the HD-XA2
which were taken from the 2 models PDF spec sheets.

The HD-XA2 will feature HDMI ver1.3 which will support Deep Color and 1080p which are 2 very important must haves for HD.

The HD-A2 will not support Deep Color or 1080p.

How can deep color be a must have for HD when there are no displays that support it or any material encoded with it.

How can 1080p be a must have when few HD displays support 1080p inputs and even fewer support and can take advantage of 1090p at 24 fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Schell View Post

Other features that the HD-XA2 have over the HD-A2 are:
*12-bit/297mhz Video (HD-A2 features 11bit/216mhz Video)
*4 times over Sampling
*1080p output and upconversion
*Multi-channel Signal Management
*HDMI Output ver1.3 with Deep Color support
*RS 232C Controller Port
*Coaxial Out
*5.1 Channel Analog Audio Output
*All Gold Plated connections

Anyways,,I will be adding the HD-XA2 into my system as soon as I can get it.
Hopefully it's available before Christmas.

I assume the first feature refers to the video DACs which would not even be used for HDMI output.

About the only feature of any significance is the analog audio outputs.
post #459 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Actually Philips tv's are quite good... to good!!!
My dads 21 year old 27 inch Philips cabinet tv just won't die and my dad wont upgrade till it does. Sadly, this thing seems like it will go on forever.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #460 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

How can deep color be a must have for HD when there are no displays that support it or any material encoded with it.

How can 1080p be a must have when few HD displays support 1080p inputs and even fewer support and can take advantage of 1090p at 24 fps.

I assume the first feature refers to the video DACs which would not even be used for HDMI output.

About the only feature of any significance is the analog audio outputs.

word to the above. I was about to comment on that nonsense, but you got to it first.

Deep Color, what bs. When a display comes out to take advantage of it, optical may not even be the greatest A/V tool. It'll be like VHS when component started being used.

1080/24p is becoming useful, but again, its not a killer feature for 99.99% of consumers.

DACs are only useful for folks like me that still run analog and have benign disdain for digital.

Frankly I think people would do well with an XA1 if they need 5.1 analogs (or A1). The XA2 may have nicer playback and such, but at 1k, it had better be awesome.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #461 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 View Post

I and alot of others like myself would disagree with this, although it may be true for some displays.

I can definately tell the difference between SD-DVD-OTA/Cable HD Broadcast and HD-HDDVD on my 34" Direct view and have heard some with as small as 26" displays and HDDVD 17 notebooks user enjoying it also.

Size does indeed matter in seeing the difference between HD and SD, but it is only one of many factors.

Size isn't even one of the factors, really. It's about the resolution and viewing angle. I get a larger viewing angle with my portable 9" DVD player than someone sitting 7 feet from a 50" plasma (I can't wait until someone comes out with an HD portable). The 17" Toshiba HD-DVD notebook has a full 1080p display and should benefit from HD much more than any 50" plasma (except the $8000 Pioneer Pro FHD-1).

--
Steve
post #462 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Actually Philips tv's are quite good... to good!!!
My dads 21 year old 27 inch Philips cabinet tv just won't die and my dad wont upgrade till it does. Sadly, this thing seems like it will go on forever.

It just goes to show how silly brand loyalty is in this day and age. Brands are just marketing devices now and don't tell you anything about who designed, manufactured, or supports the product.

--
Steve
post #463 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Nice display but since it's native resolution is 1,024x768 pixels, I would stay with the A2 and save 400 clams plus. How could you benefit from 1080p or 1080i? So unless you're future proofing (that's an idea) the A2 is just fine.

Wirelessman:
I agree with HPforMe except that I think future proofing an item like this is impossible as it's evolving too fast. The additional $400 you spend now for an XA2 will be wasted until you by a 1080x1920 resolution TV that takes 1080P input (even then the difference between the A2 and the XA2 will be marginal). By the time you replace the TV, chances are excellent that you'll be able to buy a better player than the XA2 for $400 or less.
post #464 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
"Just thinking I might want the SD's out of the A2 at 480i over HDMI"

Does it put out 480i over HDMI, or just component?

Thanks

Noah
post #465 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be nice to keep this thread on topic and not digress into displays etc. There is an info thread on the A2 where those types of posts belong. This thread is for end user experiences.
post #466 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:

... does the A2 look better picture quality wise with HD DVDs than the A1???

I think the reason you are not getting a definitive answer is because both players are so close and the experience level with the A2 being so new that no one is willing to say the A2 is better. I will say that the A2 is no WORSE than the A1 for image quality. I don't think it is better, or at least, not better enough to justify replacing the A1 based on that alone. The A2 is, obviously, better in other areas, and worse in a few others.

For the record, I consider the A2 a worthwhile upgrade from the A1 using HDMI exclusively.
post #467 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

when will studios/HD tv's implement deep colour?
post #468 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

Ive read though a lot of these pages, people ask it... but is there any defenitive answer for us.... does the A2 look better picture quality wise with HD DVDs than the A1??? Iam really happy with my A1, and I have no one to sell it to really.... I dont want to jump to a A2 just yet if there is no real difference in over all picture quality. I can live with the quirks of the player (like load times and other things), but as long as the over all picture quality is about the same then im happy with my A1 for a while longer.

Both the A1 and the A2 are basically PCs running software, so I would expect the software algorithms for upscaling are pretty much the same for both units. The same goes for HD-DVD playback. The main differences will be in the hardware-based stuff like the new DVD-ROM drive (the same one in the Xbox 360 add-on) which does a better job getting the data off the disc, resulting in fewer freezes with marginal discs. There also seem to be some differences in HDMI resulting in fewer glitches between the player and the display when playback starts and better compatibility with various displays and HDMI switchers.

--
Steve
post #469 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So picture quality is the same for HD DVD discs for both?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #470 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I was using a Panny plasma as well. I set and left the player at 1080i for all content. Even on a 720p plasma, I found 1080i from the Tosh looks the best.
SD, HD all look best at 1080i. So once you set it, you never need to switch it.

Excellent-thanks for the info, much appreciated
thetman
post #471 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm betting that they are, but I guarantee that you will read opinions here about how much better the picture quality is with the A2 versus the A1, and other opinions about how much better the picture quality is with the A1 versus the A2 People will always claim to see and hear differences even when there aren't any.

--
Steve
post #472 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Yes. PQ and AQ are pretty much the same for both players. The A-1 has analogs and better build. The A-2 has better operability and remote and some would say aesthetics.

They are fundamentally the same in terms of what appears on the screen or goes to the receiver....IMHO.
post #473 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:17 PM

I just bought an A2 from BB. The only disk I have is Widescreen Nemo from Netflix. The disc will not play. It says cannot play the disk on screen and shows error message MSS 6 on the player. I have a Zenith DVB 318 DVD player and it plays Nemo with no problems. I have unplugged the player, pulled out the disk numerous times no change. AAAAaaaarrrgggghhh!
post #474 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Yes. PQ and AQ are pretty much the same for both players. The A-1 has analogs and better build. The A-2 has better operability and remote and some would say aesthetics.

They are fundamentally the same in terms of what appears on the screen or goes to the receiver....IMHO.

I agree, they are both of equal capability when it comes to picture and sound. Which is very good indeed!

The only problem I see with the A2 is that most of us here a upgrading to it and that will leave few units in the stores for the average consumer. Not a bad problem to have.
post #475 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

Now now, this is no place for logical questions.
post #476 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphan View Post

I just bought an A2 from BB. The only disk I have is Widescreen Nemo from Netflix. The disc will not play. It says cannot play the disk on screen and shows error message MSS 6 on the player. I have a Zenith DVB 318 DVD player and it plays Nemo with no problems. I have unplugged the player, pulled out the disk numerous times no change. AAAAaaaarrrgggghhh!

Let me get this straight... you just bought an A2 ond the ONLY disk you own is Nemo Widescreen?
post #477 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:56 PM

I cant seem to find them in stock anywhere, anyone got a link
post #478 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

Let me get this straight... you just bought an A2 ond the ONLY disk you own is Nemo Widescreen?

Seems like Nemo is the popular A2 test disc today. Wonder what the deal is with it not playing on some machines? Weird.
post #479 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Try disconnecting your player and reconnecting after powering down and see if it works. If it works one time it'll work thereafter. I had such a problem with Superbit disks. Now they work fine. Give it a try....
post #480 of 5306 Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Considering the amount of complains when the A1 hit the streets, the A2 has come a long way and make this very tempting. The question now becomes; do we wait until the A3 arrives?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page