Tosh HD-A2 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 177 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5281 of 5306 Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only way you'll be able to get replacements would be to grab them off of a damaged player that has a good panel. Not really worth it for just the panel!!!

That being said, it depends on how they're broken. I had one that I bought that would get locked, and found when opening the case it had just popped out of the socket. Easy fix. Another easy fix would be replacing the spring (I think it has a spring... been a while). If the panel is damaged, as in the "pin" has snapped off, you're not going to have much luck, but you could just remove it, and risk the extra dust getting in through that open panel. You're no doubt well out of warranty, so I wouldn't hesitate in exploring inside to see if you can get it aligned and working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

I have 2 HD-A2 players and both have broken flip-down panels. Can these be fixed? If so, where can I locate two flip-down panels? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5306 Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've used AnyDVD HD to rip all my HDDVDs "just in case" something happens to either the disc or my player. If something does I can always rip the image to a blu-ray.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #5283 of 5306 Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

The only way you'll be able to get replacements would be to grab them off of a damaged player that has a good panel. Not really worth it for just the panel!!!

That being said, it depends on how they're broken. I had one that I bought that would get locked, and found when opening the case it had just popped out of the socket. Easy fix. Another easy fix would be replacing the spring (I think it has a spring... been a while). If the panel is damaged, as in the "pin" has snapped off, you're not going to have much luck, but you could just remove it, and risk the extra dust getting in through that open panel. You're no doubt well out of warranty, so I wouldn't hesitate in exploring inside to see if you can get it aligned and working.

On both players, the flip-down panel broke off completely. If I can find one off of a broken HD-A2 will I have any problem replacing it? I just like it when everything works like it is supposed to. I'm rather picky in that way.
post #5284 of 5306 Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM

No, it's really quite easy to do the replacement. You could also use the HD-A20, as the chassis is exactly the same. I swapped the power button panel between two, and it really is easy to replace things in it. The hardest was getting a drive out, as I couldn't get a cable disconnected!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

On both players, the flip-down panel broke off completely. If I can find one off of a broken HD-A2 will I have any problem replacing it? I just like it when everything works like it is supposed to. I'm rather picky in that way.

I started doing that myself, but found it was a bit of a pain since I own over 200 discs now. It was much easier, and cheaper through the costs of extra drives, to just buy an extra player as a back-up. Of course now the family owns 8 players, so we're good for quite a while!!! I still do have a computer drive just in case I need to resort to that though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I've used AnyDVD HD to rip all my HDDVDs "just in case" something happens to either the disc or my player. If something does I can always rip the image to a blu-ray.

post #5285 of 5306 Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

FWIW the Xbox360 external HDDVD drive connected via USB is a good tool for ripping and playing HDDVD. A bit slow but gets the job done.

There are lot of these on Ebay. Bought one about 4 months ago for $25 + shipping. This does NOT require the Xbox console BTW.

Arcsoft TMT3 will decode and play HDDVD, Power DVD from 8 up will not although there is a hack to enable HDDVD play back with PDVD on the AVS HTPC forum PDDVD thread. Have not tried that myself, don't have PDVD.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #5286 of 5306 Old 03-19-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I still have the 2.8 firmware. Pls advise the correct setting on Ethernet how to update to 4.0 thru the LAN connected to it. Thanks.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #5287 of 5306 Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

boy, I haven't been on this thread the end of 07 when I sold my HD-DVD player and moved from England to Saudi. Good to see there are still some owners out there.
post #5288 of 5306 Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^ Yep, still a few of us around, I still play the occasional HD DVD.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #5289 of 5306 Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post
^ Yep, still a few of us around, I still play the occasional HD DVD.
You are missing the bargains.

I just bought The Bourne Identity HDDVD (brand new) from Amazon for $2.48 via an Amazon affiliate "foggypaws'.

Look at his store, he has hundreds of HDDVD, many at bargain prices and many are brand new and he marks them as new or used.

Most of my ~70 HDDVD are ripped to my WHS and streamed to a NeoTV550.
No more slow loading from the Toshiba D2 and now the video plays at 1080/24p which the D2 can not do.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #5290 of 5306 Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My trusty Sammy DLP's color wheel finally bit the dust and we purchased an LG 47LV5500. Since my Sammy was 720p, I wasn't concerned that the HD-A2 did not out put 1080p. My question: set the A2 to output 1080i or 720p?

post #5291 of 5306 Old 07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

My trusty Sammy DLP's color wheel finally bit the dust and we purchased an LG 47LV5500. Since my Sammy was 720p, I wasn't concerned that the HD-A2 did not out put 1080p. My question: set the A2 to output 1080i or 720p?

1080i, your tv should be able to deinterlace pulldown to 1080 p
post #5292 of 5306 Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks. I have more HD-DVDs than Bluray at this moment. I buy BR, but if I run across any HD DVDs cheap I get them. I found a new copy of Animal House at Fry's Foods for $6.

post #5293 of 5306 Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Thanks. I have more HD-DVDs than Bluray at this moment. I buy BR, but if I run across any HD DVDs cheap I get them. I found a new copy of Animal House at Fry's Foods for $6.

There is an Amazon affiliated Ebay seller (foggypaws) with a large inventory of HDDVD's. I bought the Bourne Ultimatum from him. ~ $ 5.

Meanwhile at least four of my HDDVD's have failed, Casablanca and Phantom of the Opera among them. I will have to scout Amazon for replacements.

Took a look at Amazon and searched for HD DVD, 3358 results, but my choices above are not there.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #5294 of 5306 Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post
There is an Amazon affiliated Ebay seller (foggypaws) with a large inventory of HDDVD's. I bought the Bourne Ultimatum from him. ~ $ 5.

Meanwhile at least four of my HDDVD's have failed, Casablanca and Phantom of the Opera among them. I will have to scout Amazon for replacements.

Took a look at Amazon and searched for HD DVD, 3358 results, but my choices above are not there.
funny my Tokyo Drift HDDVD has failed, developed some sort of oxidization. I contacted universal, they offered me the DVD....I bitched and now as a "one time exception" they're sending the blu-ray copy in it's place.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #5295 of 5306 Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Hi everyone, I've been an av fanatic for many years but because I have only just started into semi-retirement I am now posting into the forum. And I'm here because I want to get HD-DVD, especially this Toshiba model. There are people literally giving away the movies with this player on eBay. Will someone please pinch me? I know the format is going going gone but what the hey, the deals are screaming too loud for me to ignore. Have I lost my mind or is this a great deal to pursue?

I'm just on a 'fool's quest'...don't mind me!
post #5296 of 5306 Old 12-05-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiski_duraka View Post

Hi everyone, I've been an av fanatic for many years but because I have only just started into semi-retirement I am now posting into the forum. And I'm here because I want to get HD-DVD, especially this Toshiba model. There are people literally giving away the movies with this player on eBay. Will someone please pinch me? I know the format is going going gone but what the hey, the deals are screaming too loud for me to ignore. Have I lost my mind or is this a great deal to pursue?

What kid of deals are you seeing? Maybe I can beat it? I have one that I don't use and have a bunch of HD movies also. PM me if you want to discuss.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #5297 of 5306 Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Depends. If the discs are new then you should be 'ok' but know the tech is no longer supported and the discs scratch fairly easy (I'd never buy used).
We have 3 HDDVD players but rarely use them but I have @80 HDDVDs.

post #5298 of 5306 Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

When DVD came out, and laser disc players and titles started showing up with lower prices, folks would ask me - "should I jump in and grab stuff now?". My answer was always - "if you already have players and titles and are happy with them, enjoy. If not - do not get involved now - buy DVD when you are ready".

I would say the same thing now about HD-DVD . . those of us who have players and titles enjoy them. I have no intentions of giving up my players & titles. But you can get blu-ray players and titles very inexpensively these days, and I would not recommend someone get involved with hd-dvd at this point under any circumstances (short of someone giving stuff to you for free).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #5299 of 5306 Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The most I'd pay for any HD-DVD title at this point would be about $1 (the cost of a rental). Unless, of course, it is some international title that will never make it to the US on Blu-ray. That being said, I still watch what I have on either my HD-A2 or my LG BH200 dual format player.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #5300 of 5306 Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

The most I'd pay for any HD-DVD title at this point would be about $1 (the cost of a rental). Unless, of course, it is some international title that will never make it to the US on Blu-ray. That being said, I still watch what I have on either my HD-A2 or my LG BH200 dual format player.

My Toshiba D2 (Costco version of the A2) is limited to 1080i and can not reproduce the 24 FPS film rate.
To overcome this limitation my HD DVD collection is ripped to my WHS using a tool that converts the HDDVD structure to the BluRay BDMV container. The films now stream via a 1Gb network to a Dune Smart H1 at 1080/p24 with bitstream audio to my AVR which decodes DB THD and DTS HD MA audio.

IMO this is the way to go.

My desktop PC has the LG combo (HD DVD/BR) optical drive originally used in the LG BH200 player. No longer available but the Xbox HD DVD external (USB) player is readily available on Ebay for ~ $30 and does the job.

PM me for the (free) tool used to do the rips.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #5301 of 5306 Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Grab it. I have around 350 titles on HD DVD and ONE A-35 player and it friggen ROCKS!!! While I do not use it as much lately, (we use streaming ALOT now) when I do, I am so pleased I got it. And IF you can find titles for $1 new? Do not walk, RUN to the checkout. Worth every penny. I have no problem getting (new) $5 titles for what I want...Of course, I am at the point of no return and the titles available that I want on HD DVD are few and far between anymore. While I won't p/u titles on HD DVD that are on Blu, I won't buy on Blu what I already have on HD DVD. Make sense? Does to me.
post #5302 of 5306 Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Grab it. I have around 350 titles on HD DVD and ONE A-35 player and it friggen ROCKS!!! While I do not use it as much lately, (we use streaming ALOT now) when I do, I am so pleased I got it. And IF you can find titles for $1 new? Do not walk, RUN to the checkout. Worth every penny. I have no problem getting (new) $5 titles for what I want...Of course, I am at the point of no return and the titles available that I want on HD DVD are few and far between anymore. While I won't p/u titles on HD DVD that are on Blu, I won't buy on Blu what I already have on HD DVD. Make sense? Does to me.

Maybe I'm getting spoiled with the Blockbuster stores going out of business and picking up previously viewed Blu-rays for $2-$3 each. I think I have most of the HD DVD titles I want already, so that is why I set my $1 limit. I have about 50 or so HD DVD and haven't re-bought any of them on Blu-ray.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #5303 of 5306 Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I took advantage of the HDDVD to BD program. I scanned the covers for the HDDVDs and printed them to keep with the HDDVD and got the BDs for $5 and then sold a bunch of the BDs on eBay for profit.

post #5304 of 5306 Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM

I've got an A2 I used a 6 times before getting a dual HDDVD/ Bluray player. I'm thinking of selling my player and 78 HDDVDs . Any chance I can get $200 for the whole bundle? How?

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #5305 of 5306 Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

I've got an A2 I used a 6 times before getting a dual HDDVD/ Bluray player. I'm thinking of selling my player and 78 HDDVDs . Any chance I can get $200 for the whole bundle? How?
No interest in the media, but I'd consider $50 shipped for the player if your description is accurate and it's properly packaged. PM if interested.
post #5306 of 5306 Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have an A2 that won't play discs if anyone wants it for parts (no scratches) they can have it free or I can part it out.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page