Tosh HD-A2 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #5311 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashbridge View Post
who still uses HD DVD?
I sure as heck still have my player and well over 50 HDDVDS! Why just yesterday I fired her up w/Pan's Labyrinth to make sure everything was working right. My shelf collapsed and broke one of the supports (plastic piece of crap for a glass shelf) so I had to move stuff around and part of it was ensuring the HDDVD player didn't get busted since it was in the middle of the collapse! Luckily that and my 3DBD player and PS3 and XBOX all survived.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still fire up my Toshiba HD-XA2 from time to time...just to make sure it's still working properly.
I don't have that many HD DVDs anymore...sold them off for blu-rays, but the few I still own I still enjoy them.

I'm not sure if it is just me, but watching HD DVD seems to me that it's more "natural" compared to blu-ray...can't explain it.
post #5313 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashbridge View Post
i remember when they were coming out and no one knew which would survive... was kind of interesting. Will be interesting to see if 4k catches on. 3d seemed to be kind of a bust

I think 4K is the next 1080P when 720P sets were the rage...I don't think 3D is a bust, it's just not that popular in the U.S.
post #5314 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have 2 or 3, if anyone needs one, pm me. My sister has the other, but probably wants a bd player.
post #5315 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I love 3D. My Sony HW30 on my 120" screen is great though it depends on the movie. Some are better than others in how it handled 3D.

post #5316 of 5322 Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post
I'm not sure if it is just me, but watching HD DVD seems to me that it's more "natural" compared to blu-ray...can't explain it.
Well, the HD-DVD mastering tools were far more mature in the beginning, which is why while practically all early Blu-rays used mpeg2, all the HD-DVDs were using AVC or VC1 from the get-go. Likewise, when Blu-ray was using LPCM or Dolby digital, HD-DVDs used Dd+ or TrueHD or DTS MA.

When HD-DVD died, a lot of catalog movies had to be redone on Blu-Ray which was mostly a hack job creating a Blu-Ray that was substantially worse because it had to be done on the cheap.

The fact that many Blu-Rays got reissued later on shows how poorly they were made the first time. Also makes buying a catalog title hard since you most likely want the redone remastered edition and not the crappy one.

The few good Blu-Ray transfers were movies that made serious money.
post #5317 of 5322 Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My HD-A2 is still alive and kicking. I think I have about 50 HD-DVDs. I think they look great.
post #5318 of 5322 Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post
I think 4K is the next 1080P when 720P sets were the rage...I don't think 3D is a bust, it's just not that popular in the U.S.
I don't think 3D is a bust either, it's just not much of a selling point. 5 years from now it'll be on every TV anyways, it'll be just another feature.
post #5319 of 5322 Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 571
It's not a feature, it's a bug.

Oh, I have that backwards, don't I.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #5320 of 5322 Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a few hundred HD DVDs -- got a lot when the market collapsed. Still hooked up to most of my TVs, but don't watch it all that much (like every few months). But when I do, it doesn't disappoint. So not much interest in buying a duplicate on BD.
post #5321 of 5322 Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
I have a few hundred HD DVDs -- got a lot when the market collapsed. Still hooked up to most of my TVs, but don't watch it all that much (like every few months). But when I do, it doesn't disappoint. So not much interest in buying a duplicate on BD.
The main reason for me to re-buy them on blu-ray is if the video quality is as good or better and the audio is DTS HD Master to True HD compared to Dolby Digital Plus.
Rich86 likes this.
post #5322 of 5322 Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
I haven't used my player in a few years - only due to having ripped all my HDDVDs to my Popcorn Hour (along w/my blu-rays) so I watch them anytime!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page