Tosh HD-A2 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
okay maybe I am grabbing at straws-but what about trying out a optical to coax converter-will I loose any signal quaility?
thetman
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got and setup my HD-DVD A2. So far it rocks! I just have to ask a few questions to take all the guess work out of the settings. 1.Enhanced black level. Should that be set to On or Off? 2.Picture mode. Should that just be left at Auto or is something else better (I just watch movie DVD's/HD-DVD's) 3.Should DRC and Dialog Enchanced be set to On or Off? I have messed with those two settings are believe that off is the way to go. The one I'm most concerned with is the Enhanced Black Level. If you guys can help me out on these three questions it would be great to know.

FYI: I am using a Samsung 4663w/Yamaha Rx-v 2500 receiver as my setup. Video is through HDMI directly to the TV and the sound is Toslink through the receiver. Hope that helps.
post #723 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
movies2090 have you had any of the center channel optical problems that others have reported? This is a big deal breaker for me. Curious to see if this is just an isolated problem or a problem with all the A2's.
post #724 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 PM

I can't say I have. I haven't watched a full movie yet, but scenes from two HDDVD's (freeway scene in MI3 and Ice lake fight in Batman Returns). I have tweaked my audio using Avia since and haven't noticed any of the problems that have been mentioned.
post #725 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 PM

Thats good to hear.
post #726 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies2090 View Post

I just got and setup my HD-DVD A2. So far it rocks! I just have to ask a few questions to take all the guess work out of the settings. 1.Enhanced black level. Should that be set to On or Off? 2.Picture mode. Should that just be left at Auto or is something else better (I just watch movie DVD's/HD-DVD's) 3.Should DRC and Dialog Enchanced be set to On or Off? I have messed with those two settings are believe that off is the way to go. The one I'm most concerned with is the Enhanced Black Level. If you guys can help me out on these three questions it would be great to know.

FYI: I am using a Samsung 4663w/Yamaha Rx-v 2500 receiver as my setup. Video is through HDMI directly to the TV and the sound is Toslink through the receiver. Hope that helps.

1. If you run analog to a CRT, likely you'll want 0 IRE (7.5 IRE is Off). Turn it on. Otherwise it should only affect analog connections (component), not HDMI. Since you indicated HDMI video, just leave it alone (off). If you want to turn it on, see how it affects the pq (if it does anything).
2. If you truly are only going to watch film based content, switch from auto to film. This should be left as auto if you watch both video and film content.
3. I leave those settings as off. Dialog enhancement is shady, if you have a good cc and your system doesn't disturb neighbors, leave it off.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #727 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

anyway you look at it ..it stinks that you have good high end equipment and you you cannot get what people with cheaper mass market crap get...just because they have old fashioned analog inputs..or hdmi switch on thier inexpensive receiver..ugh!!!....in any other format their gear is just awful and can't hold a candle to sound we are used to getting...but now we are being forced to make another change just for sound purpose of format war between HD DVD and BR...I mean sooner or later they have know that 90% or better use a digital connect to the equipment and need that connection to function to provide the sound quality we are used to..not what we are being forced to listen to by these players

DON'T JUST GIVE US THE PICTURE...GIVE US THE SOUND TOO!

You're appraisal of most other person's equipment is a quite remarkable study in sheer arrogance. Tell me, is it natural for you, or did it take special personal application to develop it?
post #728 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I think "in theory" it is supposed to be better looking at the higher specs but that doesnt always translate to actually sounding better in the real world. Unless he just has a bad player I think the DTS converter thing in the Toshiba is probably not all that great.

This function works VERY well in the A1. I doubt they would have let go of that in the A2, it's a purely digital function. It could just be a problem with a particular player in this case.
post #729 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Center channel thru optical is not problem on my setup either.
post #730 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Does your 2807 show a 96Khz pcm signal or a 48Khz signal with the A2?

I tried the A2 with my Denon 2807. It also shows a 48Khz PCM signal over HDMI , just like the 3806. Is something wrong with my A2. What does it show on other peoples 2807 or 3806?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #731 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're watching World Trade Center on the A2 and are having a problem wih rewind. When I press rewind, the picture pauses for about two seconds then starts to rewind. Very annoying. This is the first film we've watched on the unit, so don't know if it is film dependent or pervasive. Definitely a problem.
Jason
post #732 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

This function works VERY well in the A1. I doubt they would have let go of that in the A2, it's a purely digital function. It could just be a problem with a particular player in this case.

In your opinion, do you notice a significant upgrade in the converted True HD signal from the DD tracks on regular DVDs? Does it sound basically like a DTS track that is on a regular DVD? Also one more question when you play an HD DVD with DD plus does your reciever get it as DD or DTS?
post #733 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 06:19 PM

Just hooked up. NO problem with center channel via optical though noticing I have to boost volume. Sound is good, but having anolog on the Blu-Ray player that is MUCH better. This player is my daughter's(she lives on her own) and I will switch over when the XA-2 arrives. I have an FDH1 and sitting six feet or closer so this seems a reasonable choice for me.

I have not tried the Superbit disks yet or Nemo and will comment on that later. My system is not ISF calibrated yet but I prefer HD DVD to Blu-Ray on initial viewing of Kong, Ant Bully, and Robin Hood (what a transfer!) to Kingdom of Heaven, Tears of the Sun, and XMan on Blu among others I have watched. Life is good.

Enjoy!
post #734 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I tried the A2 with my Denon 2807. It also shows a 48Khz PCM signal over HDMI , just like the 3806. Is something wrong with my A2. What does it show on other peoples 2807 or 3806?

Well isn't the DD+ and TrueHD track 48khz anyway? what's wrong with that?

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #735 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

You're appraisal of most other person's equipment is a quite remarkable study in sheer arrogance. Tell me, is it natural for you, or did it take special personal application to develop it?

high end separates are always better and a more costly investment...it is a shame that they are being compromised by these players...all of the hdmi input receivers I have seen are low end mass market stuff...anyone who invested in separates did so to have the best quality in sound....it's just the facts..if you think I'm being arrogant....well you are entitled to your opinion..if you are trying to insult me..keep it private ..as in private messages.....we are talking equipment here
post #736 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post

okay maybe I am grabbing at straws-but what about trying out a optical to coax converter-will I loose any signal quaility?
thetman
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Losing what on a digital signal...?
post #737 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:

...all of the hdmi input receivers I have seen are low end mass market stuff...

It's one thing to low-rate mass market equipment, but do you really want to start insulting Arcam for making products with HDMI input?
post #738 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

In your opinion, do you notice a significant upgrade in the converted True HD signal from the DD tracks on regular DVDs? Does it sound basically like a DTS track that is on a regular DVD? Also one more question when you play an HD DVD with DD plus does your reciever get it as DD or DTS?

Most SD-DVD's DTS is recorded at 768Kbps. The highest available SD-DVD DTS rate is 1.536Mbps (and some actually use this). When the A1 decodes DD+ or True-HD for S/PDIF output (coax or Toslink) it crosscodes to DTS 1.536Mbps. This will provide sound quality superior to the vast majority of available SD-DVD's. (I understand the A2 is intended to perform the identical crosscoding.)
post #739 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

high end separates are always better and a more costly investment...it is a shame that they are being compromised by these players...all of the hdmi input receivers I have seen are low end mass market stuff...anyone who invested in separates did so to have the best quality in sound....it's just the facts..if you think I'm being arrogant....well you are entitled to your opinion..if you are trying to insult me..keep it private ..as in private messages.....we are talking equipment here

If you're saying your higher cost investment is having trouble keeping pace with new developments in home entertainment technology, then perhaps instead of slamming the products that seem to be able to keep pace, you should seriously investigate purchasing one.
post #740 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM

I'm PM'd you, however, anyone else who owns B+K, feel free to chip in.

I noticed your post and audio handshake probs with B+K with optical.

I have a Ref 30 and about a month ago, tried out an OPPO player while waiting on the fence for a 2nd Gen player...............

The B+K did not recognize DD or DTS from the OPPO 970 using an optical cable.

I sent the Ref to B+K for a software upgrade after talking with them and they admitted some handshake problems with these newer DVD players. It was a free upgrade from 2.05 to 2.11.......Whatever that does.

Got it back, same deal. OPPO wanted me to try another player, but accidentally sent me a model 971. So I said what the heck I"ll try this too.Same thing.

After reading your post I am very concerned this will happen to me if I get a new player.......right now, I'm watching 0 movies..............

I'm in Mass. I don't know where you live if you're close to me. I'd be happy to try your player on my stuff.

Otherwise, is there a "support group" that we can go tell our feelings to? LOL

I've spent over 100 bucks shipping back and forth with proc and DVD player and right now watching nothing. I'd love to know if it's just a B+K and optical thing or what????
post #741 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginNJ View Post

It's one thing to low-rate mass market equipment, but do you really want to start insulting Arcam for making products with HDMI input?

for a cost of 8 ,000.00 bucks....I'm not going to replace my present lexicon....doesn't make sense to spend 8g's to make a 500 buck player sound better...my present one cost 4g's as it is...no it's just there there is a lot of expensive equipment being compromised by the inability to send a quality sound through the digital outputs...I'd rather have a standard DD or DTS track come through the outputs..as they do with SD discs....than the poorly converted DTS sound created by the players ..I'm sure in time this will change..this is still a new baby.....with a long way to go..........
post #742 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I'd rather have a standard DD or DTS track come through the outputs..as they do with SD discs....than the poorly converted DTS sound created by the players

What does that mean, "poorly converted DTS"? I've yet to read where the optical audio output on the A1s or A2s are worse than standard DTS? Isn't the consensus the sound is better but not quite as good as the analog stream?
post #743 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonDono View Post

We're watching World Trade Center on the A2 and are having a problem wih rewind. When I press rewind, the picture pauses for about two seconds then starts to rewind. Very annoying. This is the first film we've watched on the unit, so don't know if it is film dependent or pervasive. Definitely a problem.
Jason

Actually, it's much worse. It pauses three seconds when you hit rewind, then it does a choppy rewind. When you press play again, it pauses again, then the video starts without sound, then everything is fine. the same thing happened with Superman Returns. Is no one else having this problem?
post #744 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Well isn't the DD+ and TrueHD track 48khz anyway? what's wrong with that?

That's true, but if other people are getting a 96Khz signal like with the A1 I have a problem somewhere and need to get it resolved before the 30 day exchange period runs out from BB.
I contacted Toshiba and they had no idea. All they did was look at the manual which i already did.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #745 of 5306 Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I gave the A2 a round with the HQV disc today.

It does not pass any of the jaggies tests. It also failed the 2:2 30fps test and there was some artifacts on the test in the 3:2 w/ video text but I suppose it would still pass with partial credit. The 3:2 24fps looked fine though. For video based material there are definitely better players. I also noticed combing on some material so I suspect this is a flag based reader rather than cadence. Perhaps others can chime in to that effect.

BTW, I discovered that it was my Monoprice switcher(1st gen) that causes the intermittent HDMI handshake problems.
post #746 of 5306 Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my A2 today. A big improvement ergonically and operationally. I have it hooked to my Lumagen VisionPro HDP processor via DVI. It does not pass BtB or WtW, and the color space issue that was a bug early on with the A1 is back, meaning I have to put 601 to 709 inverse colorspace conversion ON in my Lumagen to get it to look right in the greens in particular (using the HD-DVD 709 color chart posted by dr1394 a few months ago). No matter how I setup the EDID on the lumagen the Toshiba A2 won't send YCbCr 422 data, it always sends 444 RGB to DVI devices it looks like.

Other than the HDMI->DVI taking a bit of a step backwards, its a big improvement for me over the A1, less glitchy and operationally a lot smoother.

If anyone here has Toshiba's ear you might ask them to fully support YCbCr 422 data output to DVI devices who show they can handle it. It makes the HDMI->DVI problems go away.
post #747 of 5306 Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:

Actually, it's much worse. It pauses three seconds when you hit rewind, then it does a choppy rewind. When you press play again, it pauses again, then the video starts without sound, then everything is fine. the same thing happened with Superman Returns. Is no one else having this problem?

The below is from toshiba web-site

Because HD DVD is a new format that makes use of new technologies, certain disc, digital connection and other compatibility and/or performance issues are possible. This may in rare cases include disc freezing while accessing certain disc features or functions, or certain parts of the disc not playing back or operating as fully intended. If you experience such issues, please refer to the FAQ section of our web-site for information on possible work-around solutions or the availability of firmware updates that may resolve your problem, or contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Firmware updates may also require an always-on broadband internet connection. Some features may require additional bandwidth. Firmware updates may be required for some interactive features depending on content.

Some Twin Format Discs may not be compatible. If you experience compatibility problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Service

Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD (core only) support for up to 5.1 channels.

HD DVD with high definition conent required for HD output.

Viewing high definition content and up - converting DVD content may require a HDCP capable HDMI or DVI input on your display device.

Design specifications and dimensions are not final and may be subject to change. Please confirm specific features and exact dimensions by reference to the product itself.

Blu-ray : 340
post #748 of 5306 Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

The below is from toshiba web-site

Because HD DVD is a new format that makes use of new technologies, certain disc, digital connection and other compatibility and/or performance issues are possible. This may in rare cases include disc freezing while accessing certain disc features or functions, or certain parts of the disc not playing back or operating as fully intended. If you experience such issues, please refer to the FAQ section of our web-site for information on possible work-around solutions or the availability of firmware updates that may resolve your problem, or contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Firmware updates may also require an always-on broadband internet connection. Some features may require additional bandwidth. Firmware updates may be required for some interactive features depending on content.

Some Twin Format Discs may not be compatible. If you experience compatibility problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Service

Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD (core only) support for up to 5.1 channels.

HD DVD with high definition conent required for HD output.

Viewing high definition content and up - converting DVD content may require a HDCP capable HDMI or DVI input on your display device.

Design specifications and dimensions are not final and may be subject to change. Please confirm specific features and exact dimensions by reference to the product itself.

I did not have these problems with my A1. Is rewind working smoothly for everybody else? Just want to know if my unit is defective.

Thanks,
Jason
post #749 of 5306 Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimason View Post

I gave the A2 a round with the HQV disc today.

It does not pass any of the jaggies tests. It also failed the 2:2 30fps test and there was some artifacts on the test in the 3:2 w/ video text but I suppose it would still pass with partial credit. The 3:2 24fps looked fine though. For video based material there are definitely better players. I also noticed combing on some material so I suspect this is a flag based reader rather than cadence. Perhaps others can chime in to that effect.

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

What output resolution were you testing?

Larry
post #750 of 5306 Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I did not have these problems with my A1. Is rewind working smoothly for everybody else? Just want to know if my unit is defective.

Thanks,
Jason

My rewind hangs for a couple seconds before it actually rewinds. Also, there is an audio dropoff for a couple of seconds after play has been pushed following a fast forward or rewind.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page