Tosh HD-A2 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have only seen the chroma bug (on DVD players) when I've specifically looked for it.

At least to me, it's definitely not anywhere close to being in the same league as say lip sync issues, combing, compression artifacts, or edge enhancement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 View Post

I have researched alot of the Toshiba HD DVD threads to increase my knowledge base, and do remember the Chroma bug a while back when choosing a SD DVD Player.

Now I hear this "CUE" on this machine for $500, that scares me a bit.

One poster said 99% of the people wont notice the CUE issue, is that true, is it only visible if you look for it, like by pausing the disk or something?

Thanks, as I dont believe I have ever seen the affect of the Chroma bug.

The CUE is present on BD's $1200 MSRP. It is firmware fixable (it was introduced on firmware for the $1200 unit), I dunno about the Tosh unit though.

It is only visible if you really know what it is or are watching stuff like Toy Story and have a keen eye.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #183 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post

The CUE is present on BD's $1200 MSRP. It is firmware fixable (it was introduced on firmware for the $1200 unit), I dunno about the Tosh unit though.

It is only visible if you really know what it is or are watching stuff like Toy Story and have a keen eye.

I wont look for it, LOL. Should have never looked for SSE!

That being said, it should not be a reason not to purchase the A2 then, if no other issues arise?

I know that is somewhat subjective, but it would be a "minor flaw" and not a Dealbreaker per se. Most, if not all can live with it, and not have the experience ruined in any way?
post #184 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

I have only seen the chroma bug (on DVD players) when I've specifically looked for it.

At least to me, it's definitely not anywhere close to being in the same league as say lip sync issues, combing, compression artifacts, or edge enhancement.

Very true. Still, in 2003 or earlier, Don Munsil and Stacey Spears had this to say:

Quote:

At this point, the problems with 4:2:0 chroma and decoding are well understood. We've provided specific techniques to fix these problems, and even some source code. There is no excuse for not fixing them, especially now that DVD players without the error are available for under $70. In the future, we will not be recommending any DVD player for video playback if it suffers from this bug.

Gary

- Don't trust sigs
post #185 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 View Post

I wont look for it, LOL. Should have never looked for SSE!

That being said, it should not be a reason not to purchase the A2 then, if no other issues arise?

I know that is somewhat subjective, but it would be a "minor flaw" and not a Dealbreaker per se. Most, if not all can live with it, and not have the experience ruined in any way?

Flaws in products are just that. Some are more annoying for some than others. CUE hasn't affected my enjoyment thus far in one bit. It may affect you.

SSE is a dealbreaker for me along with a large host of other issues. I wouldn't forgo purchasing an HD DVD player or a BD player because of CUE. Other issues with players are much more noticable and affect your experience more, but again, different people scale flaws in different ways. Chances are if you've owned a DVD player pre-2001, you've dealt with CUE and never knew it. Maybe you still have a player with it.

post #186 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I noticed this too. But maybe it's best because I'm sure there will be a lot of post in the coming days and it will be easier looking at two instead of one long thread.
post #187 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok should we try to merge them then?
post #188 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, merge threads please
post #189 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1 View Post

Ok should we try to merge them then?

To me it doesn't matter, but maybe less confusion with just one.
post #190 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok threads merged.
post #191 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

You're right that's a great improvement - and I'm a projector user so startup is even less of an issue for me (PJ takes 30 seconds to warm up easily). Quick movie loading (way way way quicker) is huge, imho. Glad I've waited for the A2 Thanks for the feedback.

I just popped in the Eagles, Live from Melbourne into my A1 and it took nearly 50 seconds for the HD DVD to start playing .
I'm still pondering whether to upgrade or not. If I get the A2, I'll need another new receiver....
post #192 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM

I was once an owner of the SD-6200 and Toy Story used to drive me crazy once I noticed the CUE. Of course, like anything else I kept looking for it in future movies. Is the CUE on HD material less noticeable than it was on old players? Still going to get the A2 but just curious.
post #193 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM

I am new to HD players but have had a oppo 971 for some time and have been very happy with it.

I wanted to jump into HD for a reasonable cost and the Toshiba was right up my alley. My intention was to replace the Oppo entirely and use the Toshiba for all of my SD DVD's but I am now concerned.

I have the Silicon Optix HQV test disk (evaluates video processing) that I used on the Toshiba, set to output 720p via HDMI into my panasonic 58" 600u plasma and it failed every test while the Oppo via DVI passes with flying colors.

I did not expect this, as everybody has always regarded the Toshiba HD-DVD players as excellent SD players.

Am I missing something?
Do I need a dedicated SD player? or Do I need a stand alone Video processor.

Will setting the output from the toshiba for SD discs to 480i/p help?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

HD looks amazing, watching Superman returns as we speak!!

Nischal
post #194 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Enough with the CUE already. Ok we know it's there because we're told it is and yet I never noticed "it" before. It wouldn't effect my purchase of this player anymore than it would a blu ray player. Send an email to Toshiba or I'm sure they can look on this site.

Now. We need to know just basic facts some have been answered:

(1) Picture Quality as compared to A1
(2) Sound quality through HDMI or optical
(3) Skipping issues, sound drop-outs
(4) How does it look like in upconversion
(5) Speed issues - load up time, etc.
(6) Any HDMI-DVI issues.

etc.
post #195 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Here here for what HPforME said!

I'm ready to find out as well.
post #196 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

Kris, How would the A2 fare in your opinion as a 480i device for playing SD-DVDs through a video processor (compared to say the Oppo 970HD)? Do you have to manually set the output resolution down to 480i for sd-dvd's and back to 1080i for HD-DVD's or does the player remember the SD and HD-DVD output resolutions separately?

Really good question.
post #197 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

(6) Any HDMI-DVI issues.

put a gold star next to that one!!!

???

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #198 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait for all the important questions to get answered.
post #199 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It would be awfully nice to hear some real movie viewing reports on the audio/video performance of this unit and menu speed.

Rather than a long drawn out discussion on things (CUE, etc) that 99% of users aren't going to notice anyways.

My impressions are probably not what you are looking for exactly, since I'm so green to the hi-def realm. But, for anyone interested...

To me, the picture looks just about as perfect as you can get. I only have 1 HD DVD at this point, however, and it's Chronicles of Riddick. I don't understand all the technical terminoligy yet, but I feel I am pretty picky and notice small details or problems in the image quality. I am watching CoR in 720p on a 768p HDTV. To my eyes, the image looks virtually flawless.

I also watched Flight Plan SD DVD with the A2 set to 720p output. Previously I had viewed it using a Samsung upconverting player. I did notice a pretty significant different between the A2 and the upconverting Samsung. On the Samsung I noticed that edges between two different colored areas in an out-of-focus background had a strange pixelated effect, and there was prononounced "posterizing" effects now and then, as well as what I think is referred to as "macroblocking" in dark areas of the pictures (the dark areas would have ever so slightly "lighter black" areas of moving blocks). All of these negative effects seem to not show up using the A2. So I am quite pleased with it. Unfortunately I am comparing it to what was probably a pretty crappy upconverting DVD player instead of the A1.

I don't have a separate sound system, so I can't comment on the sound.

There doesn't appear to be a clock that shows when the unit is powered off. (Someone asked about that).

I didn't time the startup or load times. But I didn't feel like I was waiting long for anything, really. I was worried, hearing about the complaints on the A1 in this area.

All in all, I personally couldn't be happier with it so far. Just one layman's perspective.
post #200 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I timed my A1, it takes 32 seconds before the unit will eject after pressing the on button (1080i light comes on at 28 seconds, 3-4 seconds later you can eject, it takes 1 second for the tray to eject).

SD DVD takes a further 14 seconds to load if it is present in tray at time of pressing on (46 seconds before image pops up). The SD DVD was a burned SD DVD, perhaps that is why it took longer than I remember SDs taking.

HD DVD takes a full 65 seconds from on until playing image (tested w/ KK). It takes longer if no disc is present and you have to eject and load a disc.

In total SD is almost 20 seconds faster than HD.

post #201 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rota, how were you connected to your display? (DVI, HDMI, Component)
post #202 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

Rota, how were you connected to your display? (DVI, HDMI, Component)

I was connected using HDMI. Haven't tried component yet, but I will since I have some cables. Don't have a DVI cable or converter.
post #203 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Does A2 have:
1) Time remaining on-screen-display in HD-DVD mode?
2) Chapter skip "on screen chapter indication" in HD-DVD mode (displays current chapter as you skip ahead) ?
3) Any loss or delay in audio during chapter skipping?
Thanks for checking...
post #204 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have a download link to the A2 manual? I checked Toshibas American website, no luck.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #205 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyak View Post

They are mailed by BB to Rewardszone members and BB credit card holders.

seyak,

Thanks for the information. I have a BB card but have not received any coupons. Maybe I should give them a call.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #206 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy. 9,780 views as of 3:18 central Dec.8. Lots of interest in this player.
post #207 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Now. We need to know just basic facts some have been answered:

(1) Picture Quality as compared to A1
(2) Sound quality through HDMI or optical
(3) Skipping issues, sound drop-outs
(4) How does it look like in upconversion
(5) Speed issues - load up time, etc.
(6) Any HDMI-DVI issues.

1. From memory I couldn't pick one from the other.
2. Via optical again I couldn't tell one from the other.
3. None so far.
4. I don't play DVDs but AVIA looked about the same.
5. Overall simply quicker. Not a speed demon but much better.
6. I'm using HDMI-DVI fine. I'm not getting BTB but it might be my projector as the DVI input is PC based not Video. My Contrast and Brightness settings ended up the same as for the A1.

My considered opinion is the A2 is better but outside of the being hiccup free (which hasn't been established yet) there isn't a night and day difference. Just a new improved model.

| 
|
|
|
post #208 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 01:44 PM

I'd be interested in this also - I am curious if I can replace my 971 with the A2, but I think I am going to be happy just keeping the two together - you are running 720p out of your 971, right ? And 720p for HD material (or 1080i) ?

Curious,
-g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nred1 View Post

I am new to HD players but have had a oppo 971 for some time and have been very happy with it.

I wanted to jump into HD for a reasonable cost and the Toshiba was right up my alley. My intention was to replace the Oppo entirely and use the Toshiba for all of my SD DVD's but I am now concerned.

I have the Silicon Optix HQV test disk (evaluates video processing) that I used on the Toshiba, set to output 720p via HDMI into my panasonic 58" 600u plasma and it failed every test while the Oppo via DVI passes with flying colors.

I did not expect this, as everybody has always regarded the Toshiba HD-DVD players as excellent SD players.

Am I missing something?
Do I need a dedicated SD player? or Do I need a stand alone Video processor.

Will setting the output from the toshiba for SD discs to 480i/p help?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

HD looks amazing, watching Superman returns as we speak!!

post #209 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

6. I'm using HDMI-DVI fine. I'm not getting BTB but it might be my projector as the DVI input is PC based not Video. My Contrast and Brightness settings ended up the same as for the A1.

hhmmm, not good. what display? dvi at display or switch and/or adatper in chain?

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #210 of 5306 Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

how do you test for BTB?

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version