Tosh HD-A2 HD DVD - First End User Reports! - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
buy a long cat5e / cat6 cable or download and burn the .ISO

I wouldn't want to update any firmware over a wireless connection.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Mine worked flawlessly in 18 minutes (it takes that long to do the 36 segments of the download) for the update to V1.6 via wireless - not one problem.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Good point. My wireless connection is less than perfectly reliable. Maybe I'll just fish some cable to hardwire it so I can also sell my xbox 360 wireless adapter while I'm at it.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

I had a very old Technics with seperate DTS decoder and it had problems decoding the newer DTS signal. From what I understand the new DD/DTS is 1.5MBS which my older AVR had trouble keeping up with. On Smokin Aces and MI3, all the dialog had a mettalic echo to it. Had to upgrade my AVR.

Just an FYI, 1.5 mbps has been the spec for DTS from the beginning, so it isn't exactly new. HD DVD literature has kinda been misleading in that they've been implying that 1.5 mbps pertains only to HD DVD/Blu-ray when, in fact, the early DTS standard-definition DVD releases (and every DTS laserdisc release) were all 1.5 mpbs. Due to a lack of disc space on DVD (and the desire to include both DD & DTS tracks on the same disc), studios began truncating the DTS bit rate to 754 kbps (half the 1.5 mpbs bit rate), which then became the norm. Chances are your DTS decoder may not have been manufactured to full specifications if you were having trouble with 1.5 mbps playback. Conversely, some early Dolby Digital decoders still in use today will have problems playing back DD at the bit rate of 640 (even though that spec was in existence from the beginning as well). Unfortunately, SD DVD technology could only accommodate a maximum of 448 kbps (most DD laserdiscs were limited to 384 kbps) and, therefore, some hardware manufacturers limited their decoding to 448 as well. So if anyone with legacy receivers/processors notices bitstream playback issues from their A2s (or A20 or XA2s, for that matter), it's more than likely a hardware issue, not software, and very understable that one might need to upgrade their receiver.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

Chances are your DTS decoder may not have been manufactured to full specifications if you were having trouble with 1.5 mbps playback. Conversely, some early Dolby Digital decoders still in use today will have problems playing back DD at the bit rate of 640 (even though that spec was in existence from the beginning as well).

Thanks for the info. It was definately in the technics; I was getting that dialogue echo even in MI:3 extras, like the one where Tom and J.J. interview each other. No problems once I upgraded to the 661, well, except I can't tell any difference between 5.1 and THD when playing The Matrix. I spent 2 hours last week turning PCM and bitstream on and off, setting speakers from small to large; everything that's been suggested on this and the A2 threads but can't really tell any difference.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

I tried searching. Just bought a D2. Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but is there an easy way to temporarily hardwire the D2 to my router for updates? Modem/router's in another room & I prefer not to spend any $ for a gaming adapter for wireless connection (hey, I'm cheap ok).

I've read some people moved their TVs temporarily near a router just for the update, which is out of the question for me. Do I need the OSD to configure the update or can I do it without a TV period. I guess I could use the CD mailout system if all else fails.

BTW, I have the Verizon Westell modem/wireless router.

a little inconvenient but I unplug the toslink and hdmi cable from the A2 and bring it to my PC room. Plug a composite cable to the tv card on my pc and ethernet cable to the router don't bother with audio for the update.

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Toshiba offers it on cd for those who don't have internet. Just go to their website and look under support link.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. It was definately in the technics; I was getting that dialogue echo even in MI:3 extras, like the one where Tom and J.J. interview each other. No problems once I upgraded to the 661, well, except I can't tell any difference between 5.1 and THD when playing The Matrix. I spent 2 hours last week turning PCM and bitstream on and off, setting speakers from small to large; everything that's been suggested on this and the A2 threads but can't really tell any difference.

Maybe we'll all be able to discern more of these differences when those new DTS-HD and THD-capable receivers begin hitting the stores this month. Not that the A2 is capable of passing the THD/DTS-HD bitstreams since the A2 is not HDMI 1.3 compliant (the XA2, however, is). But it'll be interesting reading the impressions from those with the necessary equipment.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Sony KDS-60A3000

Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else had a problem with the screensaver? I was watching a bit of "Children of Men" tonight and paused it for a while. When I came back I had a green screen (I assume that was the screensaver) and the machine had locked up. I pressed the power button on the machine for ten seconds, per manufacturer's instructions, which turned it off and then everything was fine. But, just to be safe, I turned the screensaver off. Is this a known bug?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

a little inconvenient but I unplug the toslink and hdmi cable from the A2 and bring it to my PC room. Plug a composite cable to the tv card on my pc and ethernet cable to the router don't bother with audio for the update.

Yeah, did about the same. Brought the D2 to the router then hooked up to my small old CRT via composite. Worked perfectly. Only problem is I'll have to keep track of updates and repeat the procedure when necessary. Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe we'll all be able to discern more of these differences when those new DTS-HD and THD-capable receivers begin hitting the stores this month. Not that the A2 is capable of passing the THD/DTS-HD bitstreams since the A2 is not HDMI 1.3 compliant (the XA2, however, is). But it'll be interesting reading the impressions from those with the necessary equipment.

But the A2 does pass THD. Bitstream via SPDIF and PCM via HDMI, that's why you don't need a 1.3 AVR since the player decodes it. This topic is all over the "why you don't need 1.3" thread.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendley View Post

Has anyone else had a problem with the screensaver? I was watching a bit of "Children of Men" tonight and paused it for a while. When I came back I had a green screen (I assume that was the screensaver) and the machine had locked up. I pressed the power button on the machine for ten seconds, per manufacturer's instructions, which turned it off and then everything was fine. But, just to be safe, I turned the screensaver off. Is this a known bug?

I noticed the same thing last weekend, although I had a black screen. "Stop" worked for me, but then I had to find my place in the movie again.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But the A2 does pass THD. Bitstream via SPDIF and PCM via HDMI, that's why you don't need a 1.3 AVR since the player decodes it. This topic is all over the "why you don't need 1.3" thread.

No, it does not pass the bitstream. The A2 internally decodes it, yes, and then converts it to multi-channel PCM via HDMI. That's not the same thing as passing an actual THD bitstream. (By the way, the A2's SPDIF only outputs standard DD/DTS bitstreams.) If SD DVD is any indicator, there's a good chance that THD & DTS-HD may actually sound better receiver-decoded than player-decoded. We won't know that for sure until THD/DTS-HD receivers hit the shelves. Of course, those receivers would need a 1.3-fed bitstream entering it to gauge the difference, if any, something the A2 does not provide. My point was, with these high-res soundtracks, the A2 doesn't afford users the option to decode externally.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Sony KDS-60A3000

Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM

I received my HD-A2 this morning, made all connectons and downloaded the updates. Watched couple of movies and I am very impressed with the unit. I played a regular DVD and was amazed how much better the picture quality was.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, it does not pass the bitstream.

Yes, I meant decode, not pass.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I meant decode, not pass.

I knew you meant decode because in the second sentence, you did write "decodes."
Quote:

Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie39 View Post

I received my HD-A2 this morning, made all connectons and downloaded the updates. Watched couple of movies and I am very impressed with the unit. I played a regular DVD and was amazed how much better the picture quality was.

Congrats and welcome to the happy HD DVD owners club. It's growing by leaps and nounds.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Hi all. I picked up the Tosh HD-D2 (same as the A2 but remarked for Costco) yesterday, and thought I would post my impressions.

First up the facts:

I paid $250.00
TV: Sony e50a10
Previous HD stuff: Cable HD Channels - Xbox360 upscaling via VGA - lots of downloaded HD wmv & TS.

I had planned on waiting for a combo player. Really. I am planning an October wedding and honeymoon, so even $250 is a lot of money right now. Then I saw the player at Costco, and the thoughts started creeping in. I'm sure you all know how that goes...that little voice that nags at you saying "C'mon, what the heck, just go get it, you'll make the $250 back in no time..." I did the responsible thing and listed $250 worth of stuff on Ebay first, so I know I'm covered. Then I headed for the store.

All I can say is WOW! An amazing player at an amazing price. via the included HDMI cable, upscaled DVDs are 1000 times better than they were on the admittedly lackluster 360, and HD content is simply stunning. Even better than the stuff I've downloaded. Setup was a breeze, as was the firmware update. I simply unplugged the 360's ethernet, plugged it into the Tosh, hit upgrade, and everything went perfectly.

The e50a10 is a 720p native screen, so I am not bothered by the lack of 1080p support. Just in case anyone is wondering, in my opinion, setting the player to 720p produces a far superior image than the 1080i setting - your mileage may vary.

I don't have a sound system with an HDMI in, so for now I'm going Digital optical to the tuner. This means no TRUE-HD sound, but the 5.1 is still very nice, and I can always upgrade the audio hardware later.

To the people who have asked, the player plays all my custom DVD-r and DVD+r discs perfectly, even though I had read that +r wasn't supported, and it is not listed on the box. You may need to upgrade the firmware for this. I'm not sure, but I've heard the new firmware improves +r and -r playback

I had an old coupon from DC Comics for a free copy of Batman Begins with any
HD-DVD player purchase (360 player excluded) and Costco honored it, even though I'm pretty sure it had expired. Plus, I'm getting Apollo 13, Casablanca, Sky Captain, Rattle and Hum, and Perfect Storm for free by mail.

Bottom line? The player, SIX MOVIES, and the HDMI cable all for $250.00 is a fantastic deal on a great piece of hardware. If the HD-DVD folks keep up this kind of pressure, I don't see how they can lose.

Rob
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Let's say I have a few hd movie clips on my harddrive:

movie1.vc1.001.ts
movie2.h264.001.ts

can I burn these to a dvd (not hd-dvd) and view them on the A2 player?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc6 View Post

Let's say I have a few hd movie clips on my harddrive:

movie1.vc1.001.ts
movie2.h264.001.ts

can I burn these to a dvd (not hd-dvd) and view them on the A2 player?

See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorooty View Post

Hi all. I picked up the Tosh HD-D2 (same as the A2 but remarked for Costco) yesterday, and thought I would post my impressions.

First up the facts:

I paid $250.00
TV: Sony e50a10
Previous HD stuff: Cable HD Channels - Xbox360 upscaling via VGA - lots of downloaded HD wmv & TS.

I had planned on waiting for a combo player. Really. I am planning an October wedding and honeymoon, so even $250 is a lot of money right now. Then I saw the player at Costco, and the thoughts started creeping in. I'm sure you all know how that goes...that little voice that nags at you saying "C'mon, what the heck, just go get it, you'll make the $250 back in no time..." I did the responsible thing and listed $250 worth of stuff on Ebay first, so I know I'm covered. Then I headed for the store.

All I can say is WOW! An amazing player at an amazing price. via the included HDMI cable, upscaled DVDs are 1000 times better than they were on the admittedly lackluster 360, and HD content is simply stunning. Even better than the stuff I've downloaded. Setup was a breeze, as was the firmware update. I simply unplugged the 360's ethernet, plugged it into the Tosh, hit upgrade, and everything went perfectly.

The e50a10 is a 720p native screen, so I am not bothered by the lack of 1080p support. Just in case anyone is wondering, in my opinion, setting the player to 720p produces a far superior image than the 1080i setting - your mileage may vary.

I don't have a sound system with an HDMI in, so for now I'm going Digital optical to the tuner. This means no TRUE-HD sound, but the 5.1 is still very nice, and I can always upgrade the audio hardware later.

To the people who have asked, the player plays all my custom DVD-r and DVD+r discs perfectly, even though I had read that +r wasn't supported, and it is not listed on the box. You may need to upgrade the firmware for this. I'm not sure, but I've heard the new firmware improves +r and -r playback

I had an old coupon from DC Comics for a free copy of Batman Begins with any
HD-DVD player purchase (360 player excluded) and Costco honored it, even though I'm pretty sure it had expired. Plus, I'm getting Apollo 13, Casablanca, Sky Captain, Rattle and Hum, and Perfect Storm for free by mail.

Bottom line? The player, SIX MOVIES, and the HDMI cable all for $250.00 is a fantastic deal on a great piece of hardware. If the HD-DVD folks keep up this kind of pressure, I don't see how they can lose.

Rob

Also just bought a D2 to go along with my xbox360 hd-dvd. Couldn't be happier.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Could anyone tell me where the IR sensor is located on this player? On most equipment, it's on the left side, but I need to make sure this is the case before I purchase.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookTek View Post

Could anyone tell me where the IR sensor is located on this player? On most equipment, it's on the left side, but I need to make sure this is the case before I purchase.

According to the manual it's just to the left of the display.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
the IR Sensor is located directly to the left of the display panel and to the right of the "open/close" button. I would call it slightly right of center.

In my setup I have an 100" screen with my equipment to my right. I can point my harmony remote directly at the screen and it will control the HD-D2 (A2). I thought that I might have problems since the sensor wasn't on the left like my other equipment, but I didn't.

From my seated position, I can't see the remote sensor area, yet it still works.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Ok, thanks. As long as it's not on the far right like my Oppo player.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 AM

OK i just got my a2 yesterday after having an a1 since the day it came out, and my a2 is glitching like mad. Yes i updated to the 1.6 firmware but while watching the matrix and trying to turn on ime it freezes and is glitchy as all hell. just watching the movie it is fine but there is also a delay with the ir signal from the supplied remote to the player after i press a button it takes like 5 seconds or more for it to relay the signal, i will program my harmony tonight and see if its any better but man how annoying is this i never once had to hard boot my a1. I hope it will play the combos like my a1 did otherwise its going back.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post

I just saw that 1.6 .iso file is up at Toshiba. Also posted in another thread.

I don't see the ISO anywhere. I see the update details but no ISO. Where might I find it?

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post

I don't see the ISO anywhere. I see the update details but no ISO. Where might I find it?

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 AM

Great picture but no audio from receiver!
Just bought a D2. Hooked up HDMI to monoprice 4X1 switcher using a panny 50" plasma. i get audio from the tv. I also have an older onkyo receiver connected to the tv. Im having problems getting sound from the receiver. I get a picture but no sound from the onkyo. Any suggestions? Do I need to connect an optical cable to get sound?

Thanks.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement