Who still has skipping with their A1? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Who still has Skipping with their A1?
Yes My HD-A1 skips 142 45.37%
No My HD-A1 doesn't skip 129 41.21%
Yes my HD-XA1 skips 20 6.39%
No My HD-XA1 doesn't skip 22 7.03%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading a thread in the Blu Ray section I wanted to find out who still has A1's that skip. I've had my A1 since August & it still skips semi-frequently. It was already sent in for fixes once and it didn't resolve it.

So who else still has problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM

Software Version 2.0 seemed to fix my XA1
post #3 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sadly 2.0 didn't fix my A1. I'm hoping the new FW might.
post #4 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine still skips at times... I find that it's much more likely when advanced features are used on the disc, such as TrueHD decoding, or U-control. When I say U-control, I mean just the status bar at bottom, not PIP or anything like that... like what Spartacus has.

Seems to me to be heat releated... that HD-A1 gets HOT, mine actually makes my HD-DVD's hot to the touch when they're ejected.

-Josh Murrah
post #5 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

My D1 skipped right out of the box the first time we played an HD-DVD.

Got the firmware update and thought it was all good. Watched Superman Returns and bam..skipping. Then Batman begins and bam skipping again just during one part though.

Thus the reason it's boxed up and ready to return and I have an A2 coming any day now. I'm bummed because I really wanted to keep the analog outs for my non-HDMI receiver but I can't put up with a player that won't play correctly. I could live with all the other issues..ie. slow start up, slow menus, and weird remote.....but not playing an HD-DVD all the way through......yikes!
post #6 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

i get skiping every now and then with 2.0, but i find if i unplug the A1 for a few seconds' plug back in it works fine for awile. ive watched 3 movies so far and have had no issues. so hopfully it stays working. although i dont mind unpluging now and then.
id guess being its PC based the memory and such gets clogged and needs to be dumped every once and awile. maybe
post #7 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

On Saturday night I watched King Kong and had at least three skips (A1/Fw 2.0). Sunday morning I watched Excalibur and nary a skip -- go figure. The skips don't bother me *too* much because I can easily correct them with a push of the pause button. It would be nice if Toshiba would release a fix to correct this problem, however.

Beer. So much more than just a breakfast drink!
post #8 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

My A1 with 2.0 never skips...it is weird some do and some don't...no complaints with my A1.

Joe V.
post #9 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM

By skips, do you mean hiccups in the sound and picture? Mine will have a pause in the sound but keep playing. The sounds sometimes catches up. Other times I need to pause the playback and then begin playing to get the picture and sound synched. It has been horrible with King Kong. Other movies may play without a problem. I figured it is related to the cleanliness of the disk until it started happening with a new King Kong HD DVD. I don't think it ever happens with SD DVD.
post #10 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine skips with King Kong and Superman Returns. HD-A1 version 2.0 firmware. Pretty much same as William above. Some titles play with no issue, and I never have issues with SD-DVD. This needs to be fixed ASAP as it is really unacceptable.
post #11 of 91 Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you look at the poll results it's pretty amazing how many people still have these problems, wonder if this can even be fixed? I've seriously considered dumping HD-DVD over this and just stick with Blu-Ray as my only HD optical source...
post #12 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

*sigh

Yeah, my HD-A1 still skips from time to time. Between that and the loading time, I can't wait to dump this player. The player has fantastic PQ...other than that I wish I had just waited for the Xbox 360 drive to be released.
post #13 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wallace View Post

By skips, do you mean hiccups in the sound and picture? Mine will have a pause in the sound but keep playing. The sounds sometimes catches up. Other times I need to pause the playback and then begin playing to get the picture and sound synched. It has been horrible with King Kong. Other movies may play without a problem. I figured it is related to the cleanliness of the disk until it started happening with a new King Kong HD DVD. I don't think it ever happens with SD DVD.

This happens to me, is this what this topic is about? When the movie stops breifly but the sound keeps going/or stops too - and then once it resumes its out of sync? It happened to my today while watching Mission Impossible II on HD DVD. I immediatly paused it and pressed play - and it was fine the rest of the movie.

My girlfriend watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with her niece and it did the same thing 2 times during that movie. It never did this before? I have version 2.0 on there too, Its no big deal but I hope its not a constant thing.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #14 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I haven't had a skip in a few weeks. I've only had skipping with The Fast and The Furious: TD. I still have to watch KK and Charlie and the CF.
post #15 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

No skipping before 2.0. Infrequent skips after 2.0. Maybe skipping is an undocumented feature of 2.0?
post #16 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 AM

the only skipping issue I had was at the beginning of BS

Them: I could hardly tell the difference between HiDef and standard definition on my 27" LCD...
Me: Hmmmmm, wonder why that is... (sarcasm)
post #17 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 AM

Very few and far between skips (I'm Sure I just jinxed myself). Is it irritating?...yes. Can I live with until the technology matures?....Absolutely!
post #18 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 AM

I had them at the beginning of Bourne Supremacy too but believed it was related to a dirty Netflix HD-DVD. The scene was the conversation on the porch after Jason Bourne's nightmare. For King Kong the skipping does not seem consistent. At one point the player hung and I had to unplug it. I find it unacceptable
post #19 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

It is unacceptable IMO. The player should do what it was designed to do.....play an HD-DVD right? It seems about half the people that bought one of these have skipping issues. Thus the reason I bought an A2...luckily I can still return my A1 though.

I don't think you should ever buy a product that won't perform the basic function it was designed to do. "Yeah I bought this new iPod and it won't play a song all the way through, but if I take out the batteries or hit the pause button and stand on one leg it does just fine" How many people would keep that product?
post #20 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My A1 w/ fw 2.0 has worked flawlessly until Superman (new one). It skipped 3 times in one area. Also the player won't play The Eagles HD-DVD with out audio drop outs, had eight on three songs. However i bought the X-box HD-DVD add on, and it plays without any problems these two HD-DVD's as well as any other I seem to put in it. The drive for the 360 player must be a later model and may account for better performance. The only real draw back for me using the 360 is you don't get full quality DD+, and TrueHD play back. On regular DTS tracks ( Like the Eagles ) sound quality is awesome.
post #21 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Very soon I will use my Best Buy 4 year replacement plan. It is a frustrating problem.
I'm ok with them giving me a A2 as a replacement since I do not use the analog outs and only HDMI PCM out.
-Evangelo2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
post #22 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

My A1 w/ fw 2.0 has worked flawlessly until Superman (new one). It skipped 3 times in one area. Also the player won't play The Eagles HD-DVD with out audio drop outs, had eight on three songs. However i bought the X-box HD-DVD add on, and it plays without any problems these two HD-DVD's as well as any other I seem to put in it. The drive for the 360 player must be a later model and may account for better performance. The only real draw back for me using the 360 is you don't get full quality DD+, and TrueHD play back. On regular DTS tracks ( Like the Eagles ) sound quality is awesome.

My XA-1 skips but not the A-2 when playing the Eagles HD DVD.

I have infrequent skips on my XA-1. Usually if I clean a disk it plays fine. Pause, Play usually fixes it.

However, since I got my A-2, I haven't used the XA-1 at all except for some comparison. I haven't figured out what I'll do with the XA-1, since my wife wants me to replace it with another A-2
post #23 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Plazman,

Yeah, I'm tempted by the A2. However, my older Denon 3803 receiver is not HDMI, and I'm not ready to trade it out for a new one, so I would lose the 5.1 analog input . Not sure how bad this wouls bother me because for about a month i used my A1 via optical when i first bought the player. I thought it sounded great, better than regular DVD, so i didn't really mind back then. I should probably get an XA2, but i don't really want to spend that much money. Decisions, decisions!
post #24 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

Plazman,

Yeah, I'm tempted by the A2. However, my older Denon 3803 receiver is not HDMI, and I'm not ready to trade it out for a new one, so I would lose the 5.1 analog input . Not sure how bad this wouls bother me because for about a month i used my A1 via optical when i first bought the player. I thought it sounded great, better than regular DVD, so i didn't really mind back then. I should probably get an XA2, but i don't really want to spend that much money. Decisions, decisions!

I guess it comes down to how value conscious you are. For me the 2X price difference seems like a lot for what it offers. However, it may just be a better built product all round.....based on my experience so far the A-2 is an excellent value (just as I thought the XA-1 was an excellent value as well). If it was up to me, I would have stayed with the XA-1 since I have no problems with it. But, clearly it seems a little too complex for my wife since she hasn't figured out that you need to wait for one command to complete before sending the next command via the remote

In any case your delimma is very similar to the one I faced when deciding between the Sammy and the Panny BD players where one was 2X the other. In the end, I went with the Sammy since it presented a better cost-performance ratio to me.
post #25 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper0103 View Post

It is unacceptable IMO. The player should do what it was designed to do.....play an HD-DVD right? It seems about half the people that bought one of these have skipping issues. Thus the reason I bought an A2...luckily I can still return my A1 though.

I don't think you should ever buy a product that won't perform the basic function it was designed to do. "Yeah I bought this new iPod and it won't play a song all the way through, but if I take out the batteries or hit the pause button and stand on one leg it does just fine" How many people would keep that product?

Could not have said it better. I have NO idea how some of you can say these 'quirks' are acceptable or "I can live with them". Wow. Maybe it's because your warranty has expired that you feel this way? My XA1 is under 90 day warranty still and I am compiling a list of issues(there have been many) similar to others here. My unit will be going back to Toshiba in January and if the skipping, stuttering, audio drop-outs, and random fast-forward issues aren't corrected, I will continue to send the unit back until I get results. Is it too much to ask to enjoy a movie play all the way through with ZERO issues?
post #26 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Could not have said it better. I have NO idea how some of you can say these 'quirks' are acceptable or "I can live with them". Wow. Maybe it's because your warranty has expired that you feel this way? My XA1 is under 90 day warranty still and I am compiling a list of issues(there have been many) similar to others here. My unit will be going back to Toshiba in January and if the skipping, stuttering, audio drop-outs, and random fast-forward issues aren't corrected, I will continue to send the unit back until I get results. Is it too much to ask to enjoy a movie play all the way through with ZERO issues?

You have to pay to ship it there each time, at some point it's not worth it. Believe me, I've sent mine in multiple times and it can not be fixed...
post #27 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My A1 is fine about 95% of the time. I had a serious problem with Xmas Vacation last night at only the 3 minute mark... I took the disc out and right out of the box it had a big smudge on it. I cleaned it and after that it played flawlessly.
post #28 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

My daughter had an SD-DVD cartoon skip. I took it out and it had multiple noticeable fingerprints (even though she had just opened it and told me she only touched the edges).

After cleaning it, it played fine, even in the same spot.

I had skipping during the extras on the SD DVD of Click. This was before the firmware upgrade. *I* opened that disc, and I can assure you it was pristine when I put it in.
post #29 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

watched nearly every HD DVD I care to see (50+ now) and all SD DVDs and only 1 movie had skips (FATF: Tokyo Drift). Otherwise I've got a flawless A1. I'm sorry to hear that people still get some issues. For those that do get skips, do you clean your discs before playing? (warm water, soap?)

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #30 of 91 Old 12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post

I took it out and it had multiple noticeable fingerprints (even though she had just opened it and told me she only touched the edges).

Did you lift those prints and compare them to hers? I mean, I'd trust her. Innocent until proven guilty.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page