Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post

I played around with my XA2's audio setup a bit more but the audio from HD DVDs are still whimppy, very little bass. I turned my receiver's volume to -15 db, it sounded like it was at -30 db. I tried some of the stuff suggested by a follow forum member, it didn't do a thing. I am hoping some experts here can enlighten me. Here is the setup:

XA2 to a Yamaha RXV2700 receiver (Yamaha's latest model) via HDMI. In the XA2's audio setup, for Digital Out SPDIF, it's set to bitstream (no optical cable connected to the receiver), for Digital Out HDMI, it's set to auto (I tried setting it to PCM as well). Dynamic Range: Off. All speakers are set to small, subwoofer crossover set to 80 hz. I didn't changed the sound levels.

I played parts of the following HD DVDs: MI3, Appollo 13, Superman Return, and Jet Li's Fearless. The audio from all of them were all whimppy, very little bass, even the rocket blasting off in Appollo 13 was barely audible. I ran the XA2 test tone, heard very little bass there too (subwoofer level set to 0 db). But I played the last battle scene of Saving Private Ryan and the drum scene of House of Flying Daggers with the XA2, the audio were fine and the bass was there. BTW, the XA2 did a great job unconverting them.

I also have a PS3 (also HDMI to receiver) that I play blue ray disks with, the sound from the PS3 is terrific for both Sd dvd and BD.

What do you think the problem is with my HD DVD audio playback?

Thanks,

Bimmerguy

I'm certainly no expert about any of this, but here are some things that bother me about what you are "trying" to do. First of all, you seem to be toying with the 5.1ch settings on your player, but those are (as clearly stated in the manual) only there to support management of the analog outputs on your unit. I'm ass-u-me-ing (although you didn't state it) that you are not using those, so messing with those settings will have no impact on your setup.

You mention that you are not using an audio optical cable, but say nothing about coaxial? Again, as you are using HDMI, I'm going to assume that you are also not using coax for your audio, in which case, the Digital Out SPDIF settings are also meaningless.

My _impression_ is that there are only three settings that really matter for HDMI (audio), the Digital Out HDMI (obviously), DRC, and the Dialog Enhancement. (BTW, I have those set to Auto, Off, Off.)

Here's what I know: I have my unit connected to my Denon 5805 (also via HDMI), and it absolutely delivers the same bass performance as I get from my other sources. I've done nothing different to my receiver in order to make that happen. I've simply added the XA2 as another HDMI source, and when I flip to that, as opposed to something else (like my HD Sat receiver), I'm getting the sort of results that I'd expect. I have three subwoofers hanging off the 5805 (center, front and rear), and I can assure you that they leave no doubt when there is something that needs to be "felt" by the listener. (My StarZ HD DVR recording of Serenity, and my HD-DVD flavor of the film, both rattle the basement in pretty much the same way, and at the same points in the movie.)

What I don't know: It's not clear to me what your problem is, but it seems like it would almost have to be one of two things. Either your XA2 is defective, OR, you have a problem at the receiver side. And by that, I mean some problem with the receiver's interpretation of the XA2 data stream, such that it's not recognizing the data for what it is, and is interpreting it as something else. There seem to be some other folks that have mentioned problems with how their receivers have "processed" the digital audio, so I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility. Whether that's because of some buglet in the XA2 (that Toshiba might address in firmware), or whether that's a buglet in the Yamaha (that they would have to address), again, I can't offer any input (although, obviously, my Denon processed the data just fine).

All, FWLIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Picked up my XA2 last night at VE, thank you Wendy for staying open late for me (btw, took wrong exit on the Bronx River Pkwy, lost myself in the Bronx )

- made in China, Dec/06

Out of the box, 1st impressions:

Look: very nice and stylish. It will be in an A/V media credenza bu I really liked the brush aluminum black top and its slick frant plate

Weight: not as hefty as the A1 but very solid in my opinion

Hook-up: wanted immediate playback so I just plugged it directly into my Panny 50px50u via HDMI and used the %.1 analog connection I had previously used (and calibrated) with the A1

Power-up was fast (did not time it) compared to the A1. Familiar HD DVD logo come on, then familiar setup window, left the audio setting on auto and the rest on off. (btw, there is an option to see/not see the intro logo, I read someone not seeing it on boot-up, perhaps the turned it off?)

open tray was again fast, plopped in Corpse Bride, hit play, and what felt less than 15 seconds FBI warning screen, again blinding fast compared to the A1

reminder, *no* calibration or tweaking here, right out of the box..

AQ: definite improvement over the already good A1. Everything seemed to be a more tight, clear and precise. Speech, music and surround nuances came through as I'd expected them to, I did not hook up the SPDIF or COAX to the Yamaha to test those paths, but on analog 5.1 my Klipsh Chorus II and SVS sub sounded great.

HD DVD PQ: while skipping around scenes I thought it to be a touch softer than the A1 and lacking (from memory) that extra pop. I wasn't sure what video setting (Film, Video, Auto) I had on the A1, so went back to the service menu to try each... and WTF? , I couldn't bring it up during playback ! had to stop the movie, then go in the menu.. and that was annoying because on resume play I was back to the begining FBI screen - is there a way to get to the service menu on the fly?
Well I set it to Video and the PQ did become a tad sharper on Corpse Bride but not as I remembered it on the A1.
Will have to spend time and calibrate the XA2 with the Panny. Also, now that there is a choice, what to other Pany px50u/px60u/ph8uk/ph9uk plasma owners have the the output set to 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

SD PQ: I popped in TFE suberbit and was very impressed by the upscaling capabilities of the XA2. Matter of fact, TFE upconverted looked better than some of the tier 3 and 4 HD titles i own (again from memory) and definitely a big improvement over the A1. Very nice!

Will have to sit down tonight and tomorrow and go through a proper set-up/calibration, will the do more comparisons and re-post my opinions.

So far no glitches, but haven't tested reported problems.

All in all am very pleased
post #273 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone spent time yet comparing black enhancement on versus off? I tried both last night on Polar Express and thought the enhanced looked a bit better but I realize animation isn't the best sample for this.

Go Duke !
post #274 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 AM

Folks, a big thank you to those who tried to help me with my XA2's audio problem when playing HD DVDs. I want to describe what's going on as simple and as clear as I can. Here are the facts:

1. The XA2 is connected to my 2-month old Yamaha RXV2700 receiver via HDMI cable ONLY, no coaxal, no optical.

2. In the XA2's audio settings, HDMI out is set to Auto, speakers set to 5.1 channels.

3. When I played regular DVDs in my 3-year Toshiba DVD player (optical to the receiver), the audio was fine.

4. When I played both regular DVDs and Blue Ray disks in my PS3 (HDMI to the receiver too), the audio was fine too.

5. When I played regular DVDs in the XA2, the audio was fine, actually it was terrific. You should hear the drum scene in the House of Flying Daggers.

6. When I played HD DVDs in the XA2, the audio overall was very weak, expecially the bass. The receiver's volume was turned to -15 db, but it sounded like -30 db. I could barely hear the bass that I knew was there, i.e. the explosions in MI3 and the rocket blasting off in Appollo 13. I am no audiophile but I am not too dumb to tell that the audio isn't right.

Here is what I tried to see what the problem is:

1. Tried different audio settings in the XA2, same problem.
2. Tried different HDMI cable from the same brand, same problem.
3. Tried HDMI cable from different brand, same problem.
4. Pluged the HDMI cable to a different HDMI input of the receiver, same problem.
4. Connected the XA2 to the receiver via component cable for video and optical cable to audio, same problem.

It's too early to conclude that the HD DVD audio problem is caused by the XA2 itself, rather than setups or connections?

Thanks much. What can I do without you guys?

Bimmerguy
post #275 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

If you change the HDMI out to PCM (just for a test) and the problem now also happens for Standard DVDs then it could very well be a problem with your AVR's handling of linear PCM audio via HDMI.
post #276 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Has anybody done any evaluation of upscaling non-copy protected SD DVDs over component?

Hmm, nobody has bitten on this yet.

Methinks there is a small-but-passionate group of individuals like myself (and maybe miata) who have fine HD displays but use ancient Component inputs.

It looks to me like the XA2 (and/or maybe the A20 if it has a Reon chip) could be a must-to-own for those of us looking to upgrade our players in the near future.
post #277 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It looks to me like the XA2 (and/or maybe the A20 if it has a Reon chip) could be a must-to-own for those of us looking to upgrade our players in the near future.

Or upgrade your TV! Add another $700 to the cost of this player and you can buy a 50" Samsung 1080P DLP with two HDMI inputs!
post #278 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

I think I hooked up everything right-maybe not you tell me. I tried the analog outputs on the XA2-hooked into my prepro. I selected bitsream out on the player. tried an HD disc and the audio sounded good-the prepro diplayed prologic though, so I am not sure if i am actually hearing the TrueHD soundtrack-when I tried a SD disc, again the prepro displays prologic-but the audio sounded weaker (watched the same movie last night via coax and it sound alot better). Am I doing something wrong?
thetman
post #279 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Folks, a big thank you to those who tried to help me with my XA2's audio problem when playing HD DVDs. I want to describe what's going on as simple and as clear as I can. Here are the facts:

1. The XA2 is connected to my 2-month old Yamaha RXV2700 receiver via HDMI cable ONLY, no coaxal, no optical.

2. In the XA2's audio settings, HDMI out is set to Auto, speakers set to 5.1 channels.

3. When I played regular DVDs in my 3-year Toshiba DVD player (optical to the receiver), the audio was fine.

4. When I played both regular DVDs and Blue Ray disks in my PS3 (HDMI to the receiver too), the audio was fine too.

5. When I played regular DVDs in the XA2, the audio was fine, actually it was terrific. You should hear the drum scene in the House of Flying Daggers.

6. When I played HD DVDs in the XA2, the audio overall was very weak, expecially the bass. The receiver's volume was turned to -15 db, but it sounded like -30 db. I could barely hear the bass that I knew was there, i.e. the explosions in MI3 and the rocket blasting off in Appollo 13. I am no audiophile but I am not too dumb to tell that the audio isn't right.

4. Pluged the HDMI cable to a different HDMI input of the receiver, same problem.
4. Connected the XA2 to the receiver via component cable for video and optical cable to audio, same problem.

It's too early to conclude that the HD DVD audio problem is caused by the XA2 itself, rather than setups or connections?

Bimmerguy

I also have the XA2 connected to an RX-V2700 via HDMI only (also an A2 and a Denon 2930CI, all with HDMI only). Audio from all three is great, with the HD players just a bit lower in volume (nothing major).
What are the speaker settings in your Yamaha? I have mine set as follows:
L/R mains @ large. These are 17 year old Mirage M760 floor standers which put out terrific bass (as well as mids/highs).
Center @ small. Mirage Omnisat v2 cc.
Surrounds @ large. Mirage Omnisat v2 floor standers.
Bass output on the receiver is set for "both" (mains and sub), sub is of course set to on, or "yes". Crossover set at 60.
I know a lot of people say all speakers should be set to small with a 80Hz crossover, but I've found the above settings for *my* system, with both music and soundtracks, to be excellent. Everthing is rich, full and musical.
And bass absolutely rocks on both standard and HD DVD's.
post #280 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

I also have the XA2 connected to an RX-V2700 via HDMI only (also an A2 and a Denon 2930CI, all with HDMI only). Audio from all three is great, with the HD players just a bit lower in volume (nothing major).
What are the speaker settings in your Yamaha? I have mine set as follows:
L/R mains @ large. These are 17 year old Mirage M760 floor standers which put out terrific bass (as well as mids/highs).
Center @ small. Mirage Omnisat v2 cc.
Surrounds @ large. Mirage Omnisat v2 floor standers.
Bass output on the receiver is set for "both" (mains and sub), sub is of course set to on, or "yes". Crossover set at 60.
I know a lot of people say all speakers should be set to small with a 80Hz crossover, but I've found the above settings for *my* system, with both music and soundtracks, to be excellent. Everthing is rich, full and musical.
And bass absolutely rocks on both standard and HD DVD's.

Jack, in my Yamaha RXV2700's speaker setting, they are all set to small, all B&W speakers, the mains are B&W CDM7, LFE out to subwoofer only. the subwoofer is a brand spanking new SVS PB12 Plus. Crossover set to 80Hz. When I ran the auto setup with the receiver, it set the front and rear speakers to large, LFE to both mains and sub. I changed those.

I don't think my receiver or the setup has anything to do the the HD DVD audio problem, because the audio from my regular dvd player, PS3(played both sd dvd and blue ray disks), and the XA2 when it plays sd dvd, are all fine. It' only when the XA2 plays HD DVDs the audio has the problem, it's not just the weak bass, the overall audio is just weak and even sounds a bit distorted.

Maybe I am one of the few unlucky ones who got a defective one. Should have bought Power Ball.

Thanks,
post #281 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Methinks there is a small-but-passionate group of individuals like myself (and maybe miata) who have fine HD displays but use ancient Component inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

Or upgrade your TV! Add another $700 to the cost of this player and you can buy a 50" Samsung 1080P DLP with two HDMI inputs!

And that's the problem. I'm eager to upgrade a device when there's a real A/V benefit. I loathe to upgrade a device solely to get HDCP, because it rewards the media industry and the electronics industry collectively for their huge investment in creating deliberate incompatibilities that have nothing to do with copyright protection.

I'm very interested in component performance, and I'm also keeping an eye on other workarounds like SDI mods, among other things. The industry should be thankful that I'm even bothering to do this, at my own expense, rather than just sit out HD for awhile.
post #282 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

bimmerguy288, I haven't read through all these threads, but is your audio problem similar to what Dan Ramer is describing he is getting with the first gen Toshiba and Sony players at DVDFile.com?

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=5849&Itemid=5
post #283 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I've gone through 2 days now of my XA2. Only one glitch to report and it's a little one. After watching Fellowship of the Ring, I hit stop, then eject. The display said "opening" but after 60 secs, nothing was happening. I powered off the unit, turned it back on, then stopped it when play began. At that point, the open command worked with no delay.

Playback has been flawless, with about a 1 sec layer change on FOTR. Audio level through optical was great on FOTR but about 6-7 dbs low on Polar Express HD-DVD.

Go Duke !
post #284 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I've gone through 2 days now of my XA2. Only one glitch to report and it's a little one. After watching Fellowship of the Ring, I hit stop, then eject. The display said "opening" but after 60 secs, nothing was happening. I powered off the unit, turned it back on, then stopped it when play began. At that point, the open command worked with no delay.

Playback has been flawless, with about a 1 sec layer change on FOTR. Audio level through optical was great on FOTR but about 6-7 dbs low on Polar Express HD-DVD.

I've had that same problem a few times with my A1. Hm.
post #285 of 4647 Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 PM

I'll throw this out and see what anyone else thinks. Picked up an XA2 Friday from ABT when their shipment arrived. I have played through a few discs at this point and while it is easily an improvement over the A1 in HD presentation and upscaling is no contest at all; is anyone beside my wife and I noticing that the presentation of the picture is definately warmer and on the yellow side compared to both the A1 and to other sources such as the PIoneer Elite blu-ray player or PS3--fire in there with your opinions. I have it hooked up to a Qualia that was calibrated by UMR and it is using HDMI for connection.
post #286 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post

bimmerguy288, I haven't read through all these threads, but is your audio problem similar to what Dan Ramer is describing he is getting with the first gen Toshiba and Sony players at DVDFile.com?

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=5849&Itemid=5

Hondo, it's somewhat like what he described. When I ran the XA2's test tone, the subwoofer sounded like a tire leaking. What really bugs me is that the audio is fine from other sources, and even the XA2 when it plays sd dvd, only when it plays HD dvd it has the weak audio. I am almost convinced that I have a defective unit after trying so many different things. I will try it with another one of my Yamaha receivers (RXV4600,also HDMI) upstairs to see how it works. If it still has the same problem, I may have to exchange it. The pq is really great from this thing.

Thanks,

Bimmerguy
post #287 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 AM

I am also trying to figure out trying to get the sub to come alive . on another thread it was recommend that setting the speakers to small in the XA2 settings solved this problem. I have not tried it yet-but it may be worth a shot. I amusing analogs out for audio-and I think SD discs sound even weaker than HD discs-if this doesn't eork -I guess I will go back to using the coax for audio.
thetman
post #288 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post

I am also trying to figure out trying to get the sub to come alive . on another thread it was recommend that setting the speakers to small in the XA2 settings solved this problem. I have not tried it yet-but it may be worth a shot. I amusing analogs out for audio-and I think SD discs sound even weaker than HD discs-if this doesn't eork -I guess I will go back to using the coax for audio.
thetman

I tried that, same sh't.
post #289 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hondo, it's somewhat like what he described. When I ran the XA2's test tone, the subwoofer sounded like a tire leaking. What really bugs me is that the audio is fine from other sources, and even the XA2 when it plays sd dvd, only when it plays HD dvd it has the weak audio. I am almost convinced that I have a defective unit after trying so many different things. I will try it with another one of my Yamaha receivers (RXV4600,also HDMI) upstairs to see how it works. If it still has the same problem, I may have to exchange it. The pq is really great from this thing.

I believe the problem is that (for some reason) these players automatically reduce the output signal to the subwoofer by 10db when using the analog or HDMI outputs.

Some receivers have the ability to boost the incoming signal....but many do not. My Pioneer VSX82 only has the ability to boost the signal when using the 6 channel analog input, but not the HDMI.
post #290 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

JimP came over yesterday and we watched a bit of Kong and LOTR on my XA2. Jim has a Plasma and he was very complimentary to the black levels on the 70XBR2.

The upscaling on the XA2 is awesome. After I've had the XA2 for a few weeks I'm going to loan it to Jim so we can see if the upscaling is as good for displays that are not 1080(x).

I have a bit of juddering on various types of pan scenes. Most notable is the scrolling credits at the end. They are extremely choppy. I don't know if a firmware update or calibration/configuration will fix that.

I did get Bitstream to work for the audio out. The big thing I notice is that HD DVD levels are WAY lower than regular DVDs. When I was outputing PCM the levels were normal though.

Can someone explain again what mix is going out PCM? The reason is that on my Angstrom 200 Pre/Pro the PCM only works on the Dolby Digital input. However the DD decoder is an external unit connected to the 200. There is no activity on the external unit when playing back PCM yet the signal is playing. Of course sending bitstream from the XA2 will then hit the external decoder without changing any other setting on the 200. This is a bit confusing to me.
post #291 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The low sub issue seems to be an ongoing problem with HD DVD players. If the player lowers the sub channel by 10db on any outputs, doesn't it make sense to have a firmware option to turn this on and off, depending on what the receiver does?

Toshiba has to have some general knowledge of how ht equipment works, and the fact that there is a difference on how other manufacturers handle the sub signal.

Come on Toshiba!!
post #292 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As a hometheatre installer I come across many dvd players with the DRC on as default.This is crazy it should be off.
DRC =Dynamic Range Control. This decreases dynamic range for quieter listening at night.If your player has DRC always check in the menu that it is set to off.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #293 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata
Has anybody done any evaluation of upscaling non-copy protected SD DVDs over component?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I asked this on like the first or second page I believe, How is the upconversion via those 12bit 297mhz DAC's on the analouge component ports with the reon chip while using DL backup sddvd discs and I still have not got an reply that I know of, I think everyone is using HDMI exclusively or simply dont have DL backups of their dvds,
I would love an reply of the component sddvd PQ compared to the HDMI PQ if possible.
post #294 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 08:32 AM

I will see if I can do that today. I will be using this for component to an HD plasma over component as well as HDMI to my main 1080p projector. HOWEVER...

I am totally confused over how to hook up the audio

My choices are HDMI to my receiver which only supports HDMI 1.1 with 2 channel PCM

Digital out via coax or optical to my receiver

analogue 5.1 out to my receiver

I thought that digital out was my best bet the more I read the more I get confused!!! Got to go out and buy whatever cable is best so any fast help would be fantastic! My receiver is an NHT Controller which has an upgrade path to HDMI 1.3 so I will ultimately go HDMI.

thanks!!
post #295 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey View Post

I am totally confused over how to hook up the audio

Count me confused as well. I thought I had a handle on this until I heard about the low LFE when using the analogue 5.1 outputs.

In my case, my AVR supports 5.1 channel analogue inputs as well as digital coax - no HDMI here. I was planning on using the 5.1 channel output, but now I'm not so sure. Would I be better off holding on this (and using the coaxial output) until Toshiba addresses the LFE channel on the 5.1 output?

Thanks,
Mark
post #296 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bimmerguy

Why don't you try the analogs into your Yamaha receiver? Use the separate settings for multi ch input and up the subwoofer to 10 db. Crossover 80 Hz.

With HDMI in your digital settings set you subwoofer to 0. As well you might want to check your separate gain and freq settings on your subwoofer as they might be conflicting with your digital settings.
post #297 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

The low sub issue seems to be an ongoing problem with HD DVD players. If the player lowers the sub channel by 10db on any outputs, doesn't it make sense to have a firmware option to turn this on and off, depending on what the receiver does?

Toshiba has to have some general knowledge of how ht equipment works, and the fact that there is a difference on how other manufacturers handle the sub signal.

Come on Toshiba!!

There is an excellent discussion of this problem under AVS forum/Audio area/Audio theory, setup and chat/LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained. The essence is that the LFE channel for LPCM interface is lower than the other channels by 10 db. This is per the DVD spec and is done to provide more headroom for the high dynamic range LFE signal. It is the job of the receiver to restore the LFE channel level relative to the others. Many receivers, e.g. the Denon 2807, provide a menu item for selecing this boost. I suggest that all struggling with this problem read at least the first post of this excellent thread.
post #298 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ4U2SA View Post

There is an excellent discussion of this problem under AVS forum/Audio area/Audio theory, setup and chat/LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained. The essence is that the LFE channel for LPCM interface is lower than the other channels by 10 db. This is per the DVD spec and is done to provide more headroom for the high dynamic range LFE signal. It is the job of the receiver to restore the LFE channel level relative to the others. Many receivers, e.g. the Denon 2807, provide a menu item for selecing this boost. I suggest that all struggling with this problem read at least the first post of this excellent thread.

Is this the one?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

This is an excellent article. Since I have very little experience with the 5.1 channel analogue outputs on my DVD player (and consequently little experience with DVD-A and SACD), most of this information was lost on me. Thank you for pointing this out.
Mark
post #299 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxbr960 View Post

I asked this on like the first or second page I believe, How is the upconversion via those 12bit 297mhz DAC's on the analouge component ports with the reon chip while using DL backup sddvd discs and I still have not got an reply that I know of, I think everyone is using HDMI exclusively or simply dont have DL backups of their dvds, I would love an reply of the component sddvd PQ compared to the HDMI PQ if possible.

Your post raises an issue for me that I hadn't thought of to this point, namely that most of my DVD rips get re-encoded to single-layer DVDs not DL. This practice may not haunt me until I get my new Ruby/Pearl/Diamond/whatever 9ft display, but then I'll no-doubt wish I'd made the backups at full original bitrate. Oh well, time to re-think this--a fairly large price to pay (in time particularly) for the benefit of making the discs into "first play" bypassing all the previews, warnings, logos, and junk!
post #300 of 4647 Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczolton View Post

Is this the one?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

This is an excellent article. Since I have very little experience with the 5.1 channel analogue outputs on my DVD player (and consequently little experience with DVD-A and SACD), most of this information was lost on me. Thank you for pointing this out.
Mark

Yes. I didn't know how to create the link
Thanks
LCM
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page