Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4649 Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczolton View Post

I don't have a Studio Canal disc and I apologize, but I didn't get a chance to try Avia this evening (just hooked up the HD-XA2 a few hours ago). The thing that has/had me confused is the fact that I set the multichannel subwoofer sensitivity to +15db and still didn't get a test tone from the HD-XA2. But if I understand what I've read in this thread, the test tone is broken and I am better of with a disc. Typically, I use internal test tones like the ones found on my receiver or DVD player. I'll try a Avia the next time I get a chance.

Mark

I had a chance to try the test tones on Avia and the Pirates disc. With my Integra DTR-6.5 multichannel analog inputs. My subwoofer sensitivity was set to +15db and I could barely hear the subwoofer test tone from either disc. I've resorted to using the SPDIF connection for the time being.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4649 Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifemaster View Post

Thank you - I just looked at the instructions (when all else fails...) and reailized that I only turned DHCP "ON" and missed the icon for DNS. After turning DNS to "ON" and re-booting the player, I also get the firmware is up to date message.

NOW I AM READY TO UPDATE

Bob

It may be worth noting that Bob said he rebooted the HD-XA2 after enabling DHCP and DNS. I only mention this because I enabled DHCP and DNS and, while the player found the IP address, gateway, and proper DNS server from my DHCP server, it still said "cannot find server" until I rebooted the player and tried the update process again.

Thanks Bob.
post #363 of 4649 Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:

It may be worth noting that Bob said he rebooted the HD-XA2 after enabling DHCP and DNS. I only mention this because I enabled DHCP and DNS and, while the player found the IP address, gateway, and proper DNS server from my DHCP server, it still said "cannot find server" until I rebooted the player and tried the update process again.

Thanks Bob.

Yes - I probably should have emphasized the Re-boot. I also turned DNS on and tried to check for an update without sucess. It was only after a player re-boot that it worked.

Glad that it's working for you too.

Bob
post #364 of 4649 Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a chance to try the test tones on Avia and the Pirates disc. With my Integra DTR-6.5 multichannel analog inputs. My subwoofer sensitivity was set to +15db and I could barely hear the subwoofer test tone from either disc.

Wow. Don't know what else to tell you to try. It should work in my experience with my XA2. Did you check (try swapping) cables one last time as a sanity check?

I get 90 dB SPL on the Total Recall audio check (HD DVD Bonus feature) when the other channels give 70 dB. So (even though I don't think that disc is good for calibration) I am confident that the design (and mine as built) of the XA2 can properly drive a subwoofer with its 5.1 analog outputs (given enough sub boost). There is always the possibility of a particular unit having a problem.
post #365 of 4649 Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejackaz View Post

I just can't believe how well this player up-converts sd dvd. Watching HP and the Chamber of Secrets after they missed the train, the outside of the train station. The railing on the upper right becomes completely resolved at EE 2, and there doesn't seem to be any down side to it! Colors seem smoother and more vibrant.
The XA2 is a worthwhile step up from the XA1 IMO.

Dark Crystal Superbit looks great. Can't wait to try TFE Superbit.

I have only watched xXx in HD and it looked great. Hard to tell but I think you want to turn EE back to 0 for HD material.

Using Hitachi 51" CRT RPTV with DVI, calibrated by Avical. (No DVI problems)

Has anybody else played with the sharpness and enhancement settings on the HD-XA2. When I had the Reon based DVD-2930CI I got very positive results when playing with these. Right now I have the HD-A1 which has finer detail than the DVD-2930CI. I was hoping that the HD-XA2 might provide the best of both worlds. I've been hearing that that the HD-XA2 has a more refined image -- but is not as sharp as the HD-A1/XA1. I don't know if people have really tuned the sharpness settings on the HD-XA2. I have a direct view CRT that is inherently soft, so I can use all of the sharpness I can get. I also found that at least with the HD-A1 that my TV's scaler can at resolve finer detail than the HD-A1 scaler (based on HQV and DVE resolution test patterns).
post #366 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I noticed the Enhancement seemed to bring out more stars in the ORION logo picture before Lucky Number Slevin lastnite. It reminded me of Benq's senseye (or whatever it is) feature... very cool!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #367 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here are my initial impressions. Note that I am moving up from an HD-A1 to this player.

1. Very solid outer construction. The brushed aluminum casing is very nice.

2. The remote looks the same as the HD-A1, with the exception that it's black? I didn't even have to reprogram my Harmony 880.

3. LED display looks kind of "out dated" for this player.

4. Response time is great. I don't have a problem with the load/ command response time for this player.

5. I'm not noticing any difference in picture quality from the HD-A1. Note that I've only played SD disk so far!

6. I just spent ~$1000 for a fricken DVD player!

I'm not experiencing any problems with the unit, but then again, my HD-A1 never caused me any of the problems that many mention they are "living with." If I do experience problems with the unit, I will utilize my warranty.

My setup, Pioneer 82 TSX, Samsung 5087W.
post #368 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

Wow. Don't know what else to tell you to try. It should work in my experience with my XA2. Did you check (try swapping) cables one last time as a sanity check?

Yes, I did try swapping the cables. I suppose I could lower the output of the other five channels to compensate though. I only increased the output on the subwoofer via my receiver.

Mark
post #369 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

6. I just spent ~$1000 for a fricken DVD player!

Am I missing something here? I just checked Amazon and it says 798.88
post #370 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Am I missing something here? I just checked Amazon and it says 798.88

The MSRP is $999. Only one vendor is selling for the price you posted. The other vendors are closer to the MSRP. I'm not sure why Amazon lists the MSRP as $1,299? I paid less than MSRP.
post #371 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I did try swapping the cables. I suppose I could lower the output of the other five channels to compensate though. I only increased the output on the subwoofer via my receiver.

I increased the subwoofer output at the subwoofer by using its input gain control. Then I decreased the AVR's speaker level for the subwoofer in the AVR since the AVR (in my Yamaha RX-V2500 case) only uses that internal level control for those signals which it tries to control -- 2 channel analog and digital S/PDIF inputs. The AVR's internal sub level control did not affect the 5.1 (or 7.1) MultiChannel Inputs.
post #372 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM

MSRP and MAP is $999.99. Only three retailers are below the actual MAP. Only one is my personal favorite

These high end HD DVD players are still limited in supply.

-Robert
post #373 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

MSRP and MAP is $999.99. Only three retailers are below the actual MAP. Only one is my personal favorite

These high end HD DVD players are still limited in supply.

-Robert

But I do not see where you have it listed. Unless you are not your own favorite.
post #374 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

I increased the subwoofer output at the subwoofer by using its input gain control. Then I decreased the AVR's speaker level for the subwoofer in the AVR since the AVR (in my Yamaha RX-V2500 case) only uses that internal level control for those signals which it tries to control -- 2 channel analog and digital S/PDIF inputs. The AVR's internal sub level control did not affect the 5.1 (or 7.1) MultiChannel Inputs.

Thanks for the tip. My Integra 6.5 is able to control the levels of the digital S/PDIF input independent of the multichannel input. That is, the AVR has level setting for both. Unless the impending firmware addresses this, I will take these suggestions into consideration and recalibrate accordingly.

Mark
post #375 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

But I do not see where you have it listed. Unless you are not your own favorite.

Here's a secret trick, from the home page click on the text Order Now! just below the Toshiba HD DVD logo.

-Robert
post #376 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
It doesn't get any easier than that!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #377 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a secret trick, from the home page click on the text Order Now! just below the Toshiba HD DVD logo.

Well, shoot... I guess it's no longer a secret now!

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #378 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Robert

Took me a while to figure it out. If you click on your AVS username/take to your homepage it does not take you to the page you speak of.
post #379 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Until this week I've remained on the outskirts of HD/BD format war. I've been casually watching the drama unfold, all the while promising myself that I would not invest in either technology until there was a clear victor.

Up until today I have been using the Samsung HD960, which I purchased about 6 weeks ago. The HD960's up-conversion to 1080p was very, very disappointing. I've also had problems with brief picture freezes and terrible amounts of macroblocking/noise.

The positive reviews of the HD-XA2 on this forum are what finally knocked me off the fence. As someone with a very large existing collection of standard definition DVDs, the XA2's impressive up-converting ability was a major deciding factor in my choice.

I'm hooking the XA2 to my Samsung HL-S6187W 61" 1080p DLP HDTV via HDMI. My receiver is the Yamaha HTR-5760, which does not have HDMI. I'm tempted to upgrade now, but I'm going to be patient and wait until I can buy a receiver with HDMI 1.3. I have a full 7.1 Axiom/SVS speaker system.

After hooking up the XA2 I ran through the menus and made some basic adjustments, hooked up an Ethernet cable, added it to my LAN and then did a quick calibration with AVIA. I'll have time to play around with the settings in more detail this weekend.

I've had the player on since around noon today when it was delivered. So far I've not experienced any problems, lockups, playback issues or judder.

This is in no way meant to be a full review, but here are some random thoughts:

- The case and styling look great. I like the subtle red/blue glow around the power button. I could do without the blue glow underneath the player.

- The remote seems nice, but I use the Harmony 880. The Harmony had no problems communicating with the player.

- The menu system is easy to navigate. Network setup is a breeze.

- I ordered 11 HD-DVD titles to start off what I'm sure will wind up being another huge collection They all looked and sounded absolutely draw-dropping--as good or better than anything I've seen on HDTV. I expected to be blown away, but the image and sound actually exceeded my expectations.

- The next test was something I was nervous about: up-conversion. I wanted to try the same DVDs that left me disappointed with the HD960, so first I put in SW Episode III. I couldn't believe the difference. I actually thought I was looking at an HD image at times. There is simply no comparison between the HD960 and the XA2 when it comes to up-converting to 1080p. I was so happy that I swear I almost started crying--suddenly my existing DVD collection didn't feel so outdated! Next I tried a couple LoTR extended editions and the difference between the two players was astonishing. Disc after Disc went into the player, and each time I couldn't believe the difference.

This is an amazing player, and any trepidation I felt about dropping a grand on it is long, long gone.

Thanks to the AVS community for all the information I found here that lead me to the XA2!
post #380 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Today I got an HD-XA2 (well borrowed from DIY GUY..and look for some HDA2 v. HDXA2 screen shots tonight!!!).....

Where are the screen shots you promised?
post #381 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St View Post

Thanks to the AVS community for all the information I found here that lead me to the XA2!

John -- I'm very glad your system produces the quality of results I saw on mine for upconversion. It makes your whole DVD collection appear completely new again!

I was hestitant about posting the tests that Tom Huffman and I did originally on upconversion as I thought the video processor folks would slam us for claiming that the XA2 improved upon upconversion vs. an SDI feed into the Crystallio II.

Enjoy!
post #382 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielox View Post

The MSRP is $999. Only one vendor is selling for the price you posted. The other vendors are closer to the MSRP. I'm not sure why Amazon lists the MSRP as $1,299? I paid less than MSRP.

I spent 800 from an authorized dealer, but I made up for it spending 1250 for the Pio Blu-Ray

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #383 of 4649 Old 01-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Liked: 12
I just wanted to chime in that I too am getting the LFE output issue via analog output to my B&K preamp. The only workaround I have figured out is lowering all the other channels on the XA2 AND increasing the LFE output for a custom preset for HD-DVD.

The difference level is definitely more than 10dB that people have been suggesting.

And it's definitely not the cable nor the 5.1 input.

I am hoping a firmware update from Toshiba fixes this issue
post #384 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 AM

i watched Mummy Returns yesterday, entire movie and tweaked all picture setting on my XA-2 i got from Robert, and let me tell you this, this movie equals King Kong on my XA-1. The difference in quality in picture when i do A/b comparisons XA-1 to XA-2 is about 40%. The picture is 3D, and pops out at you. i have mosquito noise reduction, and enhanced color to 2, my god what a picture. The same movie looks flat, still good but flat on XA-1. This movie is in my top three, after KOng and Hulk , this movie is it, amazing .

The resolution of detail is startk,like a 8 megapixel digital camera. I just got a new camera and will try post some shots. This is the player to have, if you want the best picture. The colors are so vivid and images so sharp and lack pixelation, i have NEVER SEEN MY MITSUBISHI 65 INCH RPTV, LOOK SO RICH AND SHARP. Rivals the show higher definition on HD net.
post #385 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 03:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

i watched Mummy Returns yesterday, entire movie and tweaked all picture setting on my XA-2 i got from Robert, and let me tell you this, this movie equals King Kong on my XA-1. The difference in quality in picture when i do A/b comparisons XA-1 to XA-2 is about 40%. The picture is 3D, and pops out at you. i have mosquito noise reduction, and enhanced color to 2, my god what a picture. The same movie looks flat, still good but flat on XA-1. This movie is in my top three, after KOng and Hulk , this movie is it, amazing .

I don't ask this lightly as I know every setup is differently, but are there some generally accepted settings which are fairly universal with regards to the player?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #386 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

i have mosquito noise reduction, and enhanced color to 2, my god what a picture.

I don't think any of the NR functions are used/available during HD DVD playback.
post #387 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 AM

Liked: 13
I would also like to know of any universal settings.
Such as: Black enhanced, color boost and noise reduction features.
What are you guys using?

as of now- I am running 720p to the display. (will get a 1080p in the summer)
I have my contrast at -2, brightness at -1,
Mosquito reduction- ON,
Black enhanced- ON

The colors on SD discs definately pop.
HD is simply outstanding. (I hope we see some Universal classics soon- Jaws, ET, BTTF, etc)

Before the AX2- I was using SDI mod DVDO HD+.
I am selling the DVDO. AX2 is that good.
post #388 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

I was hestitant about posting the tests that Tom Huffman and I did originally on upconversion as I thought the video processor folks would slam us for claiming that the XA2 improved upon upconversion vs. an SDI feed into the Crystallio II.

Well, I'm very glad that you both decided to post your tests and thoughts on the XA2's upconversion abilities. That particular thread had a huge impact on me, and was the major influence in my choice to buy one. Thank you very much!
post #389 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:

I just wanted to chime in that I too am getting the LFE output issue via analog output to my B&K preamp. The only workaround I have figured out is lowering all the other channels on the XA2 AND increasing the LFE output for a custom preset for HD-DVD.

I am using a B&K preamp as well (ref50) but tried tweaking everyhting and gave up-now I am just running coax to the preamp. It still sounds very good-but kinda bummed i coould not get the analogs to workout properly.
thetman
post #390 of 4649 Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Before the AX2- I was using SDI mod DVDO HD+.
I am selling the DVDO. AX2 is that good.

Before you jump the gun, run the Avia moving plate test on both players and observe the upward movement of the plate.

I too was thinking of doing the same, but found that the SDI modded HD+ handled this movement pretty good and fairly bad on the A1. I understand from a well respected calibrator that the XA2 has problems in this area and to hold off until a firmware fix corrects it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page