Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

FroDaddy, the BDP-83 is the crem_de_la_crem of Blu-ray players under $1000.
Top notch BR playback, SACD/DVDA, plus a plethora of user made media compatibility via USB.
Dvd scaling and deinterlacing is top notch, even a notch above the XA2's capabilities.

I have two players in my rack. The XA2, and the BDP-83.

Same here... The two players are in my rack also. Too close to call which is better for upscaling. However for boot up time and speed the Oppo wins hands down, but for HD DVDs performance the XA2 takes the cake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Same here... The two players are in my rack also. Too close to call which is better for upscaling. However for boot up time and speed the Oppo wins hands down, but for HD DVDs performance the XA2 takes the cake.

The XA2 can also be made region free for dvds, with just a fw revision.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4413 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

It looks like there are more than a few of us who have both the Oppo and XA2. I"m also glad I'm not the only one who thinks the upscaling on both are really too close to call.

I have a 67" 1080P LED DLP and sit about 10 feet back if that much and they really do look pretty identical. It'd be nice if the Oppo added a Picture Control like the XA2 because even though you'd normally want a flat response out of your player, there are times on SD DVD you'll want to have some NR or EE control.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #4414 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

It looks like there are more than a few of us who have both the Oppo and XA2. I"m also glad I'm not the only one who thinks the upscaling on both are really too close to call.

I have a 67" 1080P LED DLP and sit about 10 feet back if that much and they really do look pretty identical. It'd be nice if the Oppo added a Picture Control like the XA2 because even though you'd normally want a flat response out of your player, there are times on SD DVD you'll want to have some NR or EE control.

Ya, on the smaller screens the scaled pic from both players is really close. A little less close on a larger projection system though.
I personally prefer the ABT solution in the OPPO, which yields a more natural looking pic and better skin tones when you view it on a huge screen. FWIW... IMHO...

Not sure what you mean by "picture control", since the -83 has lots of pic controls. Only slightly more advanced NR controls from the XA2, but I personally don't see the need for it in the -83.
PQ from disc to disc varies so much anyway, having the perfect settings like sharpness and NR is impossible without mucking with the picture with every viewing, and that gets really old really fast.

Still, we get outstanding performance with both players.
Though my XA2 is collecting more dust than discs these days.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #4415 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ya, on the smaller screens the scaled pic from both players is really close. A little less close on a larger projection system though.
I personally prefer the ABT solution in the OPPO, which yields a more natural looking pic and better skin tones when you view it on a huge screen. FWIW... IMHO...

Not sure what you mean by "picture control", since the -83 has lots of pic controls. Only slightly more advanced NR controls from the XA2, but I personally don't see the need for it in the -83.
PQ from disc to disc varies so much anyway, having the perfect settings like sharpness and NR is impossible without mucking with the picture with every viewing, and that gets really old really fast.

Still, we get outstanding performance with both players.
Though my XA2 is collecting more dust than discs these days.

I save the XA2 for the over 100 HD DVDs I bought for extremely cheap. Some under $1.

The Oppo has plenty of Picture tweaks you can do, however it'd be nice if they were save-able so you didn't have to recreate them for the one-off disc you want to mess with. The XA2 has 3 different ones.

I always thought this was a good post regarding the XA2 Picture Button.

post #4416 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, I see what you are saying now.
At the least, I wish the -83 had 2 memory settings. One for dvd and one for BD.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #4417 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroDaddy View Post

I was playing CDs today in my XA2 and came across a CD that wouldn't play past track 8. There are slight hairline scratches but nothing out of the ordinary. In my first XA2 I had no problems playing this CD, and the PS3 plays it just fine.

I recall that read problems are the fault of the drive? That an HD-A2 drive could fix the problem?

I'm getting tired of dumping money into this player though

Just to follow up on this, I tested more CDs and it played all of them without a problem. It's odd that I could play CDR's that had a lot of scratches on them, but the other purchased CD with a couple of hairline scratches wouldn't play on the XA2.

I'll just use the copy I made for the XA2 from now on.
post #4418 of 4647 Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the dolby trueHD issues i was having with my onkyo 805 seem to have disappeared. maybe one of the two machines needed a rest. i tested a half dozen discs today and there was no issue with the audio after pausing, fast-forwarding, etc.
post #4419 of 4647 Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM

What are your settings to get True Hd and are you getting DTS HD also? I still cannot get my 905 to display TRUE HD from my HD DVD....... Just now got my blu Ray to do it.
post #4420 of 4647 Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Ok got True HD to work but not DTS-HD. I would think it would be the same setup. Ordered a 4.0 fw update from Toshiba Parts........ He suggested that if I wasnt having any issues with my XA2 not to update. Will it give me more issues?
post #4421 of 4647 Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkingce View Post

Ok got True HD to work but not DTS-HD. I would think it would be the same setup. Ordered a 4.0 fw update from Toshiba Parts........ He suggested that if I wasnt having any issues with my XA2 not to update. Will it give me more issues?

4.0 has been very stable for me. You could try it and roll it back if you encounter some idiosyncrasies.

post #4422 of 4647 Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you mean DTS HD High Resolution or DTS HD Master Audio? The former is rare (amongst the majors, I think there are only a handful of Paramount titles?) and the latter even moreso on HD DVD. So I'm wondering what discs you're playing to test output of the higher rez DTS codecs.
post #4423 of 4647 Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM

The Movie was "Host". It was DTS-HD High Res Audio. Not the best Movie but it was cheap. my AVR didnt decode it but it should have
post #4424 of 4647 Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Movie was "Host". It was DTS-HD High Res Audio. Not the best Movie but it was cheap. my AVR didnt decode it but it should have

What version are you on? IIRC when the player was first released it only did Dolby HDTrue and not DTS HD Master until subsequent updates.

Edit: Here is a snip from the XA2 initial spec sheet: "Advanced audio, including Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTS® HD (core only), alongwith legacy formats including Dolby® Digital and DTS® bring an increased sonic realism to movie
soundtracks."

There's no HD Master.

post #4425 of 4647 Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

What he said. I had a faint recollection of something like that but now that he says it I remember it more clearly.

I was going to suggest also that you check the (AVS) disc spec thread that I think benes maintains to make sure there is no encoding/flagging/labeling issue with the disc but the player limitation obviates that.
post #4426 of 4647 Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM

so are you saying that the XA2 will not play the DTS-HD High Res Audio track? I am decoding in my receiver which will decode this if i bitstream
post #4427 of 4647 Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

That's what core only means, yes. "Important Notes" has a bit more info.

http://www.tacp.com/tacpassets-images/models/HD-XA2/docs/HD-XA2_spec.pdf

You didn't respond to SnowGhost's question about which firmware version you're on. Per his comment, that goes to the issue of what the player is outputting.

I'm fairly confident that this has been discussed previously in this thread, along with some explanatory discussion of how the two codecs' structures are different in terms of "core + extension."
post #4428 of 4647 Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM

I am on 4.0 now and have had my first error code ever last night with "300".
post #4429 of 4647 Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM

i am having the same issue.i have some import hd-dvd's that use the dts-hd high res.audio codec.i bitstream from my xa2 to a sony 4300es hdmi 1.3 reciever that says it decodes the dts formats i.e. dts-hd h/r and dts master lossless.the sony rec.only shows dts on the front readout while on the discs that do dts master it reads correctly.so far only the german terminator 2 disc (dts hd h/r 7.1 reads correctly on the sony reciever.in another room i have an a35 running thru a denon 3808 receiver and it does read dts high resolution
on the front readout or dts master depending on the disc.i bitstream both players to the 2 hdmi 1.3 receivers and the players themselves are set up exactly the same.is there a setting in the sony 4300es rec.that i should activate?i may give sony a call after a little more checking.i will drop a blu-ray disc like res.dogs dts hd h/r into my oppo bdp83 and see what that does as far as readout is concerned.i jst want to know what sound i am actually getting.
post #4430 of 4647 Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM

the import hd-dvd disc i was using that had the different readouts on two systems-a35/denon 3808 and xa2/sony 4300es was the german release of the jackel.dts-hd h/r on denon/a35 set up and on sony/xa2 system it reads out on receiver as plain old dts.whats weird is when playing the german release of PERFUME which i just received today all my equipment reads as it should i.e dts-hd h/r.the discs i have that are dts-master lossless all bit stream fine.it is really strange that this one disc has this weird problem.does anyone else have something like this going on?
post #4431 of 4647 Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

300 is a flip disc, my copy gives me problems as well.
post #4432 of 4647 Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:

so are you saying that the XA2 will not play the DTS-HD High Res Audio track? I am decoding in my receiver which will decode this if i bitstream

you are correct
the xa2 should bit stream all audio codecs to an avr that decodes all the new formats i.e.ddplus,dthd/dts high res.and master audio(lossless).it does not matter that the manuel only says dts-hd high resolution(core only)as that only pertains to internal decoding within the xa2 itself and not bitstreaming to an external decoder such as an applicable avr.many of the import hd-dvd's actually use dts-hd hi res.or dts-hd master audio on there discs.
i have some german imports by concorde studios that are dts-hi-res.that when i bit stream thru the xa2 to my sony 4300ea receiver only show as dts only.that companies discs are the only ones that do that.the strange thing is when i go to another room with the same disc and run bit stream thru my a35 to a denon 3808 avr it registers dts-hi-res.alone in the dark and death sentence are a couple of the discs that this occurs with.all and all i sure wish that the studios doing us releases would have used a more dynamic codec than dolby digital plus for hd-dvd discs especially universal which on there blu-rays are using dts-hd master audio almost exclusively.
post #4433 of 4647 Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got my first unplayable disc (error code: 408bc504) with "Phantom of the Opera". It plays fine on my A35, but locks up around the same place after playing about 30 minutes on the XA2. The machine doesn't totally lock up though, I can still eject the disc rather than having to power down.

Googling this error shows that it's happened to many people on different discs with different firmwares. Hopefully this is a one-off glitch as I have a pretty big collection of unopened HD DVDs bought at the fire sales. So far combo discs like Star Trek OS play fine on both my machines as do a few others.

post #4434 of 4647 Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Hi Dave,
Just scanning threads and saw your post that w/FW revision my XA2 can be region free.
What do I need to do? I just bought Australian movie I've been looking for some time and didn't know it was coded. It does play on my Dell PC, but of course I'd like to view on my Toshiba, which to my eye for last 5yrs, is close to BD quality on my system and one of my best investments ever.
Thanks,

Mike
post #4435 of 4647 Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilwerth View Post

Hi Dave,
Just scanning threads and saw your post that w/FW revision my XA2 can be region free.
What do I need to do? I just bought Australian movie I've been looking for some time and didn't know it was coded. It does play on my Dell PC, but of course I'd like to view on my Toshiba, which to my eye for last 5yrs, is close to BD quality on my system and one of my best investments ever.
Thanks,

Mike

Guide on how to make your HD-XA2 into a region free PAL capable HD-XE1

You need to make 3 CDs. The first rolls back the firmware on you player to an earlier version, so it will accept the 2nd CD, FW ver. 2.5 for the Australian version of the XA2, the XE1. That makes it region free for DVD. Those 2 files & instructions are in the link above. Then you'll want to upgrade the FW to the latest 4.0 for the XE1, that you can find at the Toshiba EU site, links are in the Toshiba Firmware All Players "sticky" thread in this forum. But make sure your display can accept PAL resolution (576i/p). After updating your XA2 with the XE1 firmware it can display both PAL & NTSC, resolutions: 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p & 1080i/p/24. But the default at power up is PAL (576), so if your display cannot accept PAL, you won't be able to see the Setup menu. Most projectors can accept PAL, as do LCD flat screen TVs from Vizio & Philips, but most "big name" brand TVs like Samsung & Sony don't.
post #4436 of 4647 Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 AM

CochiseGuy.

Thanks for informative response. I'll look into performing this operation soon and will get back with you to let you know how I fared, also if I need some assistance. Thanks again!

Mike
post #4437 of 4647 Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilwerth View Post

CochiseGuy.

Thanks for informative response. I'll look into performing this operation soon and will get back with you to let you know how I fared, also if I need some assistance. Thanks again!

Mike

Let us know how it goes. I used those files to upgrade my XA2 to region free, running the XE1 4.0 FW. I have a number of Region 2 PAL DVDs, mostly from the UK, and the XA2 w/XE1 FW upconverts them very nicely to 1080p/50Hz, which my Panasonic AE4000 projectors handles very well. With the XE1 4.0 FW, there's an added option in the Display Menu - Display at 24fps or Auto. I use Auto, and PAL DVDs are displayed at 1080p/50, R1 NTSC DVDs are displayed at 1080p/60, and HD DVDs at 1080p/24.
post #4438 of 4647 Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am out of town right now... and wondered if anyone could answer this question>>>?

Does the XA-2 have a "source direct or native" mode... (could be called something else) where it will output whatever resolution is stored on the disc?

I wanted to compare the XA-2's Reon implementation with the ABT2010 chip in my DVDO Duo for SD material. To do that I could set the output to 480 for a single test... but if the Duo does a better job I would not want to be changing resolutions every time I put a disc in... so it would work much better with a mode where the XA-2 would simply output the "native" resolution of the disc.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #4439 of 4647 Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

No, there is no Source Direct Mode on the XA2, you must select an output resolution. As you said, you could set the resolution to 480p for NTSC R1 DVD, but then you would have to change it back to 1080p24 to have native resolution for HD DVD.
post #4440 of 4647 Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You can get 480i over component, video or s-video using the Mode switch.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page