Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #4651 of 4665 Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
A couple years ago, I was running through testing/watching various WB discs for "rot". Had a high failure rate, around 50%. After going through about two dozen discs, I started to also have problems with other discs, seemingly my Studio Canal titles. Instead of the problems I had with WB titles (same error code ending playback, always at same timecodes, or discs not recognized), things would manifest in different ways. Discs would freeze up during playback occasionally, even during menus. Unlike the WB titles, there were no error codes you could exit out of - the player was frozen. Time codes where discs were locking up were varied (non-repeatable). When discs would lock up, I'd be forced to do a hard reset (holding in power button for several seconds), or unplugging the unit. In nearly all cases, I'd do the hard reset - because once the discs froze up, no number of trying to press 'Stop' would work. No other choice. At one point, I even updated the firmware from 2.7 to 4.0, which didn't change anything.

Eventually, the unit no longer booted properly, and was greeted with a 'Welcome' on the LCD screen and nothing else. It did not ever go away to the disc loading/recognition process, after quite a few tries of hard resets/unplugging. So it's sat unplugged for 2 years now.

Today, I finally decided to take it out of the rack for an A2 I have boxed away (bought first, kept only because it shares parts with the XA2). But first I decide to remove the top casing to see if there's anything noticeably different, like blown capacitors or the like. Nothing visibly cooked. So figuring I wouldn't be swapping parts with the A2 in the near future, I plugged it in and powered it up. Well, now it goes past 'Welcome' and to the 'Loading' and 'No Disc' screens.

So now I'm wondering what may be the case here. Any possibility that running it through many bad discs could have simply worn out the drive? I ask because I remember reading in the past about the 'Welcome' error being a power supply issue? I still think I'm going to throw the A2 into use, but now I'm left wondering if i'd be best swapping both the drive and power supply, or just the drive. After all, if it's the power supply that messed up the drive, I wouldn't want to throw in a good drive to be fried by bad power. But if the 'Welcome' error is actually just a generic error message for a variety of hardware failures, maybe it is just the drive on the fritz. I also wonder about overheating, as the first time I had a SC title freeze it, I didn't notice it because I'd fallen asleep watching the film and woke up to see it frozen mid-film with picture on screen, instead of it being on a looping menu as one would expect after the film finishes.
It is possible that the player simply reset itself after sitting for so long. That is something one should always try when one of these HD players gets weird.
Have you tried playing a disc in it yet?
musicalfox likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4665 Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
It is possible that the player simply reset itself after sitting for so long. That is something one should always try when one of these HD players gets weird.
Have you tried playing a disc in it yet?

Not yet. I'm still planning on putting the A2 into use and put wear and tear on that, instead. I'd been using it on a DLP RPTV set that doesn't accept 24Hz input (only 1080p/60Hz) anyways, so it's not like I've been watching discs at their native frame rates, anyways. I still believe there's an issue with it, but at least it is not BRICKED! Quite a relief, as I thought it was after being stuck on 'Welcome'.
post #4653 of 4665 Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Russian xa2

I recently bought a hd-xa2 from a guy in Russia (yeah, I know I took a hell of a risk) but it came when it was supposed to and in perfect condition. I LOVE it-everything on it works and hd-dvds look terrific and sd dvds look great too. The only problem is that the osd, setup menus are all in Russian!! Any ideas as to how I can switch this thing to English??thanks
post #4654 of 4665 Old 04-26-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstodd View Post
I recently bought a hd-xa2 from a guy in Russia (yeah, I know I took a hell of a risk) but it came when it was supposed to and in perfect condition. I LOVE it-everything on it works and hd-dvds look terrific and sd dvds look great too. The only problem is that the osd, setup menus are all in Russian!! Any ideas as to how I can switch this thing to English??thanks
I would think there is something in the settings. I would need to look mine to be sure.
post #4655 of 4665 Old 04-26-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/s...mTOCLink=false

I believe that link will take you to the "hd-ax2_om_e.pdf" owners manual in English.

There is some information on page 53 and then pages 57 and 58.

It might be enough to guide you through the menus to make the change.

Good Luck,
Doug
post #4656 of 4665 Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodoug View Post
http://support.toshiba.com/support/s...mTOCLink=false

I believe that link will take you to the "hd-ax2_om_e.pdf" owners manual in English.

There is some information on page 53 and then pages 57 and 58.

It might be enough to guide you through the menus to make the change.

Good Luck,
Doug
I downloaded the manual and tried to use it to change the settings, but since everything on the setup on the xa2 is in Russian-or some other language-I wasn't able to figure out what I was changing-guess I'm just stuck with it the way it is-or maybe find a Russian speaker to help me with it-thanks anyway.
post #4657 of 4665 Old 04-27-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I downloaded the manual and tried to use it to change the settings, but since everything on the setup on the xa2 is in Russian-or some other language-I wasn't able to figure out what I was changing-guess I'm just stuck with it the way it is-or maybe find a Russian speaker to help me with it-thanks anyway.
I was hoping the buttons on your remote were in English and could get you to the right spot. Oh well.

There is a free google translator I downloaded on my android that works pretty well for spanish. I did not get to try it much when i was working with Russians.

It even has a feature that you can show a sign or word to the camera and it will translate it for you.

You would need the module for Russian, of course.

Good Luck,
Doug
post #4658 of 4665 Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodoug View Post
I was hoping the buttons on your remote were in English and could get you to the right spot. Oh well.

There is a free google translator I downloaded on my android that works pretty well for spanish. I did not get to try it much when i was working with Russians.

It even has a feature that you can show a sign or word to the camera and it will translate it for you.

You would need the module for Russian, of course.

Good Luck,
Doug
ok, I'll try the translator.. thanks Art
post #4659 of 4665 Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hrm, you didn't happen to buy it from eBay did you? (I remember there was a xa2 from Russia for the longest time, then it disappeared).

And the manual should have a picture of the remote in English...
post #4660 of 4665 Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!

Why not get an A35?

I wonder if the Russian XA2 will need a North American firmware change?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #4661 of 4665 Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ok, I'll try the translator.. thanks Art
I tried the camera feature for signs with the translator on some work I was doing that was commented in German.

The way it worked was really cool. If I held the camera on a small number of words, the view on my phone replaced teh German words with English ones.

Same thing for a small sign in Italian at a local restaurant.

Of course the translations are not perfect, but they have been very helpful.

Doug
post #4662 of 4665 Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Try doing a reset to factory setting. If I remember correctly, you should press Display, 7, 0, 1, Display on the remote. The player will then shut down and when you restart it will go through the initial setup. Hopefully you will be able to choose language in the setup.

Are you sure it is an American XA2 and not the European model XE1? If it is the XE1 you can install the regionfree firmware.

Last edited by Viking61; 05-20-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #4663 of 4665 Unread Today, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know if the XA2 has been dethroned in terms of upconversion? I know the Oppo's do a damn good job, BUT... I was thinking of picking one up from eBay, I think the guy wants $100.. I own a few players (Sony, Oppo, getting a new Sony, model 2014, possibly 2015).. Is this worth buying for upconverting? All my HD-DVD's are stored somewhere in a bin, and buried.

Display: Sony KDL-55W802A
Sound Bar: Sony HT-CT150
Players: Sony BDP-S5100
Sony BDPS1000ES
Oppo BDP-83
PS3 Slim

post #4664 of 4665 Unread Today, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaAlexis6 View Post
Does anyone know if the XA2 has been dethroned in terms of upconversion? I know the Oppo's do a damn good job, BUT... I was thinking of picking one up from eBay, I think the guy wants $100.. I own a few players (Sony, Oppo, getting a new Sony, model 2014, possibly 2015).. Is this worth buying for upconverting? All my HD-DVD's are stored somewhere in a bin, and buried.
That's a very good question. We still have our XA2 in the component rack. My Oppo has been acting up as of late, perhaps I should just shift over to the XA2. Back in the day, I compared the upconversion and it was very close. Perhaps a slight edge (DVD humor ) to the Oppo. Now days, we watch mostly Blu-rays anyway. So it's not much of an issue...
I am curious though, is DVD upconversion quality still a "feature" of Blu-ray players? Oppo probably still makes the best, but are there other good choices?
post #4665 of 4665 Unread Today, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
That's a very good question. We still have our XA2 in the component rack. My Oppo has been acting up as of late, perhaps I should just shift over to the XA2. Back in the day, I compared the upconversion and it was very close. Perhaps a slight edge (DVD humor ) to the Oppo. Now days, we watch mostly Blu-rays anyway. So it's not much of an issue...
I am curious though, is DVD upconversion quality still a "feature" of Blu-ray players? Oppo probably still makes the best, but are there other good choices?
I actually still own an XA2, it's been put away in a closet (long story short, right now I'm living somewhere else without a LOT of my stuff, until I get a uhaul to get it all back)
Oppo problems, huh? I had that same exact thing happen to me! I had an Oppo-93? I think the model is. It was somewhat of a disaster for me.. I remember AT LEAST 10 blu-rays NOT playing! I updated FW, etc.. NOTHING worked, and I was forced to watch 'em on a different player (sony) They also froze a LOT!
I ended up losing patience and eventually sold on eBay, and saying it had problems with discs, but the unit was in excellent shape and functional etc, it sold for around $300 some. Not bad at all
I think DVD upconversion is still pretty important for me, I own TONSSS of DVD's, so I'd like 'em to look the best possible

Display: Sony KDL-55W802A
Sound Bar: Sony HT-CT150
Players: Sony BDP-S5100
Sony BDPS1000ES
Oppo BDP-83
PS3 Slim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page