Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4647 Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

BenDover,
Do you have any way of determining what the XA2 is? The A1 is 4:2:2. (according to my plasma HDMI screen) For some reason, I'm thinking its 4:4:4.

Yes, can someone please check this out.

Stacey Spears, have you done an "objective measurement" with the XA2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4647 Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

BenDover,

Do you have any way of determining what the XA2 is? The A1 is 4:2:2. (according to my plasma HDMI screen) For some reason, I'm thinking its 4:4:4.

no, i don't have any way of determining that, unfortunately...
post #453 of 4647 Old 01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Hello everyone.

I finally got rid of my 720p DVI only Samsung plasma and purchased a 1080p Sharp 52" LCD.

Want to laugh?

I went from my PS3 working fine with the 720p Samsung even though it was going thru my Onkyo 674 receiver and thru an HDMI to DVI adapter but the XA2 would only output 480p because of the HDMI to DVI adapter.

NOW, with my new 1080p HDMI only TV, the XA2 works flawlessly at 1080p but the PS3 can only output 1080i because the Onkyo is having trouble sending the 1080p to the TV therefore the 1080p setting is causing crazy video distortion and breakup as if the screen is having a seizure. Switch back to 1080i and it looks fine.

I know that it's the Onkyo because I connected the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI and 1080p worked but when the Onkyo was introduced back into the equation the problem came back.

I CAN'T WIN!

Besides all that, one of the two HDMI inputs on the Sharp is dead. You can only hear audio, no video on the screen.

Replacement is already enroute.
post #454 of 4647 Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:

BenDover,

For the XA2 it is also 4:2:2 (according to my ABT VP50)

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #455 of 4647 Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

I just finished making an order with Value Electronics for an XA2 and some discs. Just as so many people said, they are great. I had some special situations to deal with and Graham, my CS person, was patient with those details AND my penchant for telling all the stories behind the points.

A pleasure to do business with them and a good deal too (not to mention it was in Stock!)

Now if shipping just doesn't make a mess of this...I might offer some observations in a few days.
post #456 of 4647 Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I should've waited for my HD-XA2 to arrive before selling my HD-A1! LOL

The store I deal with ran into some delay...should arrive by the end of this month. This is killing me, the reviews on this is really amazing!
post #457 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars158 View Post

Is the YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit or 10bit? (if you can determine)

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #458 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars158 View Post

If both XA2 and A1 are both 4:2:2, then my theory they were using different specs resulting in different "snap" is shot down. Although the different specs should result in the same picture, I can tell a difference on my display. My methodology is to put up a color bar pattern using a HD signal generator and photographing it with RGB and then 4:2:2 off of the screen. The difference although slight is probably attributable to how the display was calibrated at the factory.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #459 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM

G-damnit! The device worked like a charm for several days. Got to enjoy Jet Li's Fearless in hi-def, several standard-def films, but started to watch Batman Begins today and stopped about 30 mins into the film. When firing it back up a couple hours later, the device no longer reads ANY hi-def DVDs. Getting the error: This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc.

My a$$ it's not. The player has suddenly turned into a non-hi-def DVD player. Standards play fine. Fookin lemon. Toshi is going to fix the device but c'mon, 5 days after receiving it? Do I follow through with the Toshi service and settle for a 5-day-old refurbed device, or do I contact the vendor?

Thanks folks
post #460 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBuddy View Post

G-damnit! The device worked like a charm for several days. Got to enjoy Jet Li's Fearless in hi-def, several standard-def films, but started to watch Batman Begins today and stopped about 30 mins into the film. When firing it back up a couple hours later, the device no longer reads ANY hi-def DVDs. Getting the error: This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc.

My a$$ it's not. The player has suddenly turned into a non-hi-def DVD player. Standards play fine. Fookin lemon. Toshi is going to fix the device but c'mon, 5 days after receiving it? Do I follow through with the Toshi service and settle for a 5-day-old refurbed device, or do I contact the vendor?

Thanks folks

Try holding the power on button on the player in for ten seconds until it turns off. This will force a re-boot of the player.
post #461 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 PM

That actually did something but it didn't resolve the problem. It recognized the GoodFellas Hi-Def DVD, but it didn't seem to want to play the disc. Then inserting the Batman Hi-Def resulted in the same error MSG. If this reboot method actually did prove to be helpful, do we spend the rest of our lives rebooting our thousand dollar machines like fools? Is this thing running Windows 95 or what?

Thanks for the advice brother.

EDIT: Correction! After soft-rebooting the machine, then hard-rebooting (leaving it unplugged for 5 mins), i'm able to watch Batman again! What a flakey machine! Do I wait for a firmware upgrade before sending this thing back to Toshi? Thanks again man!
post #462 of 4647 Old 01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
At first my apologies for posting in spite of not being an End User. As a prospective customer I would like to mention the below.

Both XA-2 / XF2 (A2) shares the same HD DVD Drive. Being a Premium model I expected Toshiba to put a better drive. I am waiting for the mid range HD-A20 as it can output 1080p and may contain some upgrades over the HD-A2 / XA-2.

I think the HD-XA2 may arguably be the best upscaling DVD Player though HD DVD performance may just be equal to it's cheaper brother A2 which is not expected from a premium model.

I don't remember exactly where I saw but I am sure that HD-XF2 (A2) HD DVD drive is Made in Japan. However the HD-XA2 HD DRIVE seems to be completely Made in China. Pretty misleading at the moment. The Toshiba HQ is just few blocks away from my work place. If time permits and if possible let me check and revert back.

Blu-ray : 340
post #463 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Liked: 15
The A20 is supposed to have the same chipset as the A2. Whereas the XA2 has a different better chipset. You will probably still find that the XA2 upconverts standard def DVDS even better than the A20 or A2.
post #464 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post

The store I deal with ran into some delay...should arrive by the end of this month. This is killing me, the reviews on this is really amazing!

it will be worth your wait, the XA2 smokes the 1st Gens and the A2

-Gary
post #465 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post

You should have bought from Robert at VE....
post #466 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Just got mine (XA2) from Robert @VE today, running it through a 70" Sony SXRD.
AWESOME!! Player has been on several hours without a hitch, upscaled IRobot looked great and Waterworld and Riddick were excellent!! Robert's service is outstanding.

Upscaler is better than my Sony (keeping the Sony)or the Pio (both B-Ray) I will be taking back soon. Format Neutral!

Haven't really had a chance to play with it but any suggestions on settings overall as all I have done is plug and play?
post #467 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my HD-XA2 from VE and have already noted two big problems:

(1) The audio on all multi-channel outputs (5.1 analog, optical and coaxial digital) has a bad distortion problem. With both of the discs I tried (Batman Begins and Brokeback Mountain) I had to turn the XA2 off and then on again because the first time I try to play the disc the audio sounds all scratchy and off-pitch.

(2) The player is connected to my Lumagen VisionHDP processor's DVI1 port (I run all my connections through the Lumagen--only one DVI cable runs to the projector). I have noted that if the projector and/or Lumagen are already on and I turn the XA2 on last, I get nothing but white snow. I have to physically unplug and plug in the HDMI cable for a picture to appear.

Not a good start for the HD-DVD half of my Neutral Zone, especially compared to the flawless performance I experienced with the other half. Hopefully the latest firmware update will fix both of these issues. I can live with the HD-DVD player having to be the first thing turned on, but that audio problem is a deal-killer.
post #468 of 4647 Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gammans View Post

(1) The audio on all multi-channel outputs (5.1 analog, optical and coaxial digital) has a bad distortion problem. With both of the discs I tried (Batman Begins and Brokeback Mountain) I had to turn the XA2 off and then on again because the first time I try to play the disc the audio sounds all scratchy and off-pitch.

(2) The player is connected to my Lumagen VisionHDP processor's DVI1 port (I run all my connections through the Lumagen--only one DVI cable runs to the projector). I have noted that if the projector and/or Lumagen are already on and I turn the XA2 on last, I get nothing but white snow. I have to physically unplug and plug in the HDMI cable for a picture to appear.

Not a good start for the HD-DVD half of my Neutral Zone, especially compared to the flawless performance I experienced with the other half. Hopefully the latest firmware update will fix both of these issues. I can live with the HD-DVD player having to be the first thing turned on, but that audio problem is a deal-killer.

How are you getting the audio to your receiver via Toslink or analogue? Have you tried changing the audio settings in the players setup?
post #469 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Your best bet is to cycle thru the AUDIO button on the remote when the High screeching starts. It will go thru the 3 different languages but when it comes back to english it will stop. That should work for awhile. How long I am not sure. Just do it though...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #470 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:

The white snow happens both with my XA2 and my DVI TV input and my A1 to my DVI computer monitor. Switching to another input and back solves the problem in both cases. Any one else?
post #471 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

How are you getting the audio to your receiver via Toslink or analogue? Have you tried changing the audio settings in the players setup?

I'm not at home right now but I'm using whatever the default setting for audio is "out-of-the-box". When I get home tonight I'll try some of the other settings to see if that ameliorates the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Your best bet is to cycle thru the AUDIO button on the remote when the High screeching starts. It will go thru the 3 different languages but when it comes back to english it will stop. That should work for awhile. How long I am not sure. Just do it though...

Sounds like you've encountered this issue before. Sorry, but that's not an acceptable solution... the screeching is REALLY bad. Hopefully Robert's suggestion will cure this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejackaz View Post

The white snow happens both with my XA2 and my DVI TV input and my A1 to my DVI computer monitor. Switching to another input and back solves the problem in both cases. Any one else?

And it sounds like you have encountered this issue before. I played with the unit some more this morning before coming to work, and the thing is, even if I turn on the XA2 first I'm not always guaranteed that I won't get snow. In other words, the snow workaround I described above isn't consistently occurring.
post #472 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Installed the XA2 a couple of days ago and so far so good!
Excellent operation w/o any issues. PQ/SQ is great.

Very pleased with units operation and performance.....great job Toshiba

HD DVD ROCKS!
post #473 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
The Firmware Update thread is swamped with posts about the A2 update, so I've stopped reading it. Can someone post here when the XA2 update is made available?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #474 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got my HD-XA2 from VE...

The audio on all multi-channel outputs (5.1 analog, optical and coaxial digital) has a bad distortion problem. With both of the discs I tried (Batman Begins and Brokeback Mountain) I had to turn the XA2 off and then on again because the first time I try to play the disc the audio sounds all scratchy and off-pitch.

Not a good start for the HD-DVD half of my Neutral Zone, especially compared to the flawless performance I experienced with the other half. [That] audio problem is a deal-killer.

I encounted the exact same issue with my XA2, along with several other issues, and it was a deal-killer for me since there was no rhyme or reason to it that I could detect. I went back to the A2 and all has been well since.
post #475 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

I encounted the exact same issue with my XA2, along with several other issues, and it was a deal-killer for me since there was no rhyme or reason to it that I could detect. I went back to the A2 and all has been well since.

A coworker of mine also has the HD-A2 and reports no problems with his player, either. I'll tell you what, if I can't get this thing to work I'm sending it back to VE for an A2. This was supposed to be an interim player anyway, since I was planning on selling it as soon as an HD-DVD player with 7.1 analog outputs surfaces.
post #476 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBuddy View Post

Thanks folks

This is why more CE companies should step into the Production of HD DVD players.
Giving the consumer choices. As of today Toshiba being the only player in the game, does not pressure them into extensive Quality and control before releasing on the market.
Another thing,. Most of you should not be all that surprise with Toshiba anyway. It's not like they have been known for putting out top notch products prior to HD DVD. They have always been a so so brand in terms of real good quality.
They just happen to be the only player in town making the stand alone players, so therefore we are forced to go with them should we want one.
post #477 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvhdtv View Post

This is why more CE companies should step into the Production of HD DVD players.
Giving the consumer choices. As of today Toshiba being the only player in the game, does not pressure them into extensive Quality and control before releasing on the market.
Another thing,. Most of you should not be all that surprise with Toshiba anyway. It's not like they have been known for putting out top notch products prior to HD DVD. They have always been a so so brand in terms of real good quality.
They just happen to be the only player in town making the stand alone players, so therefore we are forced to go with them should we want one.

After a couple of hard/soft resets the unit is working flawlessly and totally mind-blowing, but i agree, it's too bad Toshi is the only competitor in the market. If you have the cash and are dying for Hi-Def ASAP, get this unit. Patience, however, is a virtue, especially in the electronics industry.
post #478 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I agree 100% with your post!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #479 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news! I figured out both issues with my HD-XA2.

The white snow issue was caused by the Lumagen VisionHDP scaler being turned on before the HD-DVD player was fully booted up. The XA2 has to be turned on and must go through enough of its boot-up sequence to get to the point where "HD-DVD" shows on the display. Once it's gotten that far, I can turn on the VisionHDP. I'll just have to program the startup macro on my MX-3000 universal remote to start the XA2 and then wait about a minute before turning on the scaler. It doesn't seem to matter whether my InFocus 333 projector is on before or after any of this, btw... it's the scaler timing that's key.

The sound issue was solved exactly the opposite way: the Outlaw 990 preprocessor has to be on before the XA2 is turned on. It doesn't matter whether I'm using the SPDIF or 5.1 analog outputs, and it doesn't matter whether the SPDIF is set for Bitstream or PCM.

So to summarize, the startup sequence needs to be:
  • Projector (can come on at any time)
  • Audio preprocessor/amplifier
  • HD-XA2
  • Wait ~ 1 minute
  • Scaler
The next test will be whether the XA2 works with the HDMI switcher I bought to switch three of my three high-def sources (the XA2, my DMP-BD10, and my high-def TiVo). I'm crossing my fingers!
post #480 of 4647 Old 01-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Great detective work Scott. Very happy you solved the issues.

-Robert
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page