Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4649 Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To this date, the PQ issues (BTB Clipping and other common operational issues) with my HD-A1 have still not been fixed by any Toshiba firmware updates. Therefore, at this time, there is no way I'm going to give Toshiba a second chance to leave me in the lurch.

I would like to purchase an XA2. I don't think it would be wise if I buy one while issues such as what are being reported on this forum are so widespread. With Toshiba's track record, I believe if I purchase an XA2, in the long run I'll end up with two Toshiba players that will never be 100% functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4649 Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginNJ View Post

Another piece of advice: Don't use manufacturer specs for fan noise - they aren't at all comparable from one mfr to another -- they are just marketing hype. Use independent testing results. However, it might be hard to find testing results for the specific small size & airflow that I assume is in the Toshiba.

Also don't forget to ensure enough airflow. The Toshiba's fan is probably noisy for a reason -- they need the extra airflow to avoid shutdown from overheating. You might even consider adding an internal fan to blow on whatever internal components are hottest. Along that thought, if you really wanted to make a serious modification you could probably cut through the top and put a 120mm Nexus there (airflow aimed in) over the hottest area and undervolt it to 9v, 7v, or 5v until it's silent. You might not even need the small fan in the rear after that.

Craig in NJ

Thanks Craig, but I will not cut through the top. Never ever :-) The top panel is made of a brushed steel plate with a nice satin HD-DVD logo and only a fool would destroy it ;-)

By the way: there is a very good test report (with nice pictures) on this side: http://www.areadvd.de/index2.html

The very first link called "15.02. XXL-TEST: Toshibas HD DVD-Player HD-XE1 schockt die Blu-ray-Konkurrenz" will lead you to the test report. Unfortunately the report is in german. But I guess Google Translator will translate the text more or less correctly. For those who are curious: the title means "Toshiba's HD DVD player HD-XE1 frightens/shocks the Blue-Ray competition"

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #723 of 4649 Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Spiderman Superbit via my OPPO upconverted to 1080i on my Samsung 720p Plasma looked very damn close to HD and now it looks like poop going from the XA2 thru the Onkyo then to my 1080p SHARP LCD!

Like what the!!!!

I thought the XA2 was supposed to be the king of upconversion? I even tried using the picture enhancements which just made it look worse!

Now, is it the SHARP LCD that is worse than the Samsung Plasma or did the OPPO upconvert better than the XA2?
post #724 of 4649 Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Sisko197 said;
"3) The player refused to play Hollywoodland one day. I tried it five times, eventually by the fourth time wiping the disc off (and not in a circular pattern). It didn't work still. Eventually, I gave up. A few days later, I put the same disc in (before I sent it back to Amazon) and it worked perfectly. It has worked ever since."

My XA2 refused to play Hollywoodland as well, I tried several times but it would not play, I just got a message that it was not a DVD. I tried it in an A2 and it worked fine. Earlier in the day it refused to play the Chicago/Earth Wind And Fire disc, but i ejected the disc and tried it again and it worked.

The Hollywoodland disc was a real aggravation because I have not wanted to buy combo discs and I broke down and bought the Hollywoodland combo disc. In fairness, I have to assume that the problem is with the XA2 since the disc plays on an A2.

Is there any information to indicate that this is a problem that will be corrected in the upcoming (when) firmware release?
post #725 of 4649 Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Spiderman Superbit via my OPPO upconverted to 1080i on my Samsung 720p Plasma looked very damn close to HD and now it looks like poop going from the XA2 thru the Onkyo then to my 1080p SHARP LCD!

Like what the!!!!

I thought the XA2 was supposed to be the king of upconversion? I even tried using the picture enhancements which just made it look worse!

Now, is it the SHARP LCD that is worse than the Samsung Plasma or did the OPPO upconvert better than the XA2?

This sounds like flame bait, but having owned both, I must say that XA2's upconversion surpasses that of the Oppo 981.

How does the picture look when it's directly connected to the Sharp LCD?
post #726 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post

This sounds like flame bait, but having owned both, I must say that XA2's upconversion surpasses that of the Oppo 981.

How does the picture look when it's directly connected to the Sharp LCD?

No flame baiting here. Thank you for bypassing your assumption and providing feedback. I'm just a person trying to learn more and also enjoy my hometheater hobby.

Anyways, good question. I haven't tried hooking the XA2 directly up to the LCD. I don't believe there's a simple answer to any of this.

I believe that my plasma was better than this LCD even though it was "only" 720p. It's the limitatons of the LCD technology itself. I have already seen the image on the Pioneer 1080p plasma and it blows the door of ANY 1080p LCD i've seen that's for sure. Like I said, I think even my 720p Plasma presented a better "movie" picture although i'll admit that "games" do look better on the LCD from my XBOX 360 (component 1080p on the LCD) and PS3 (HDMI, 1080i) than it did on the Plasma.

Anyways, back to my dilema. I used to use the Spiderman Superbit DVD to show off how a "Non HD" DVD could almost look like it was HD and the quality used to blow my mind away!

Man of man, when I finally tried it yesterday on the XA2, very disappointed indeed.

I hooked up the PS3 directly to the LCD and I really didn't notice any difference so I doubt the XA2 quality would act differently.

Oh well, it was just my opinion which obviously is an untrained one.
post #727 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's a concensus around here about the Edge Enhancement controls? Are they generally a good idea or are they to be avoided? If you could also mention if you're addressing the 1(low) or 2(high) setting.
post #728 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like setting one for most SD DVDs I look at the actors skin and use the setting that brings up the detail
post #729 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's a concensus around here about the Edge Enhancement controls? Are they generally a good idea or are they to be avoided? If you could also mention if you're addressing the 1(low) or 2(high) setting.

Turning it on made Spiderman Superbit DVD look lke poop. Heck, the movie looked like poop with the XA2 no matter what yet this was one of my great looking standard DVDs when upconverted with my old OPPO layer.

It has to be something I'm doing wrong, you know, like buying into all the hype on all these AV components.

Seriously, I was shocked when I saw Spiderman looking like crap (how's that for a technical term) when using my $900.00 XA2.
post #730 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Turning it on made Spiderman Superbit DVD look lke poop. Heck, the movie looked like poop with the XA2 no matter what yet this was one of my great looking standard DVDs when upconverted with my old OPPO layer.

It has to be something I'm doing wrong, you know, like buying into all the hype on all these AV components.

Seriously, I was shocked when I saw Spiderman looking like crap (how's that for a technical term) when using my $900.00 XA2.

You mean on the same display the movie looked good with the Oppo and crap with the XA-2? Honestly, I don't think that is possible.

EDIT: I noticed you switched from Plasma to LCD. I believe that could be the issue as well. Make sure the LCD is calibrated. In general (I have a plasma and LCD) I prefer how movies look on a Plasma v. LCD. However, the same movie on the same display should not look excellent on the Oppo and bad with the XA-2.

So, I am not sure what could be the problem. The XA-2 in all honesty is a really really good upconverter and hopefully you'll get to experience it sooner rather than later
post #731 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brez View Post

Sisko197 said;
"3) The player refused to play Hollywoodland one day. I tried it five times, eventually by the fourth time wiping the disc off (and not in a circular pattern). It didn't work still. Eventually, I gave up. A few days later, I put the same disc in (before I sent it back to Amazon) and it worked perfectly. It has worked ever since."

My XA2 refused to play Hollywoodland as well, I tried several times but it would not play, I just got a message that it was not a DVD. I tried it in an A2 and it worked fine. Earlier in the day it refused to play the Chicago/Earth Wind And Fire disc, but i ejected the disc and tried it again and it worked.

The Hollywoodland disc was a real aggravation because I have not wanted to buy combo discs and I broke down and bought the Hollywoodland combo disc. In fairness, I have to assume that the problem is with the XA2 since the disc plays on an A2.

Is there any information to indicate that this is a problem that will be corrected in the upcoming (when) firmware release?

For now on the XA-2 if a disk doesn't read the best option is to turn the player off and on again would be my suggestion. I had it happen with one disk - I can't remember if it was an SD DVD or HD DVD, but turning the player off and on, fixed it and I haven't had a problem since.
post #732 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

You mean on the same display the movie looked good with the Oppo and crap with the XA-2? Honestly, I don't think that is possible.

EDIT: I noticed you switched from Plasma to LCD. I believe that could be the issue as well. Make sure the LCD is calibrated. In general (I have a plasma and LCD) I prefer how movies look on a Plasma v. LCD. However, the same movie on the same display should not look excellent on the Oppo and bad with the XA-2.

So, I am not sure what could be the problem. The XA-2 in all honesty is a really really good upconverter and hopefully you'll get to experience it sooner rather than later

Thank you for the feedback. Honestly, I have no clue why it is that i'm believing what i'm seeing is a worse picture than what I vividly remember with the OPPO. It's with a different display, I had a 720p Plasma and now I'm using a 1080p LCD. That's probably the reason.

That or because i'm passing the signal thru the Onkyo first but you would think that this wouldn't make a difference.

I'm going to bypass the Onkyo and go straight into the LCD which by the way I did with my PS3 and while not making a huge difference I did feel that the quality improved ever so slightly to be noticeable on some HD movie trailers I had downloaded from the SONY store.

Besides my Spiderman not looking so good out the XA2, i'm experiencing an even worse dilema with my PS3, a much worse problem! 1080p going thru the Onkyo flickers but when attached directly to the LCD it doesn't.

I'm so tired of all this HDMI-HDCP crap.
post #733 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm purchasing the XA2 today online. Can anyone quickly tell me if it comes with an HDMI cable by any chance? If not I'll need to add one to my order. Thanks!
post #734 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Can anyone quickly tell me if it comes with an HDMI cable by any chance?

Nope. Unlike the 1st gen A1/XA1 players which did come with a short HDMI cable.
post #735 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

Nope. Unlike the 1st gen A1/XA1 players which did come with a short HDMI cable.

Thanks. Are you certain of this? I hadn't had a reply and needed to order the XA2 - so I called Toshiba and they told me that the XA2 indeed came with a HDMI cable. She even put me on hold to check on the length and came back and told me it was a 3 footer...
post #736 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks. Are you certain of this? I hadn't had a reply and needed to order the XA2 - so I called Toshiba and they told me that the XA2 indeed came with a HDMI cable. She even put me on hold to check on the length and came back and told me it was a 3 footer...

I received mine last week and there was no HDMI cable.
post #737 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine only came with a power cable and 3-way stereo audio composite cable. And there were also batteries for the remote:-)
post #738 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback. Honestly, I have no clue why it is that i'm believing what i'm seeing is a worse picture than what I vividly remember with the OPPO. It's with a different display, I had a 720p Plasma and now I'm using a 1080p LCD. That's probably the reason.

That or because i'm passing the signal thru the Onkyo first but you would think that this wouldn't make a difference.

I'm going to bypass the Onkyo and go straight into the LCD which by the way I did with my PS3 and while not making a huge difference I did feel that the quality improved ever so slightly to be noticeable on some HD movie trailers I had downloaded from the SONY store.

Besides my Spiderman not looking so good out the XA2, i'm experiencing an even worse dilema with my PS3, a much worse problem! 1080p going thru the Onkyo flickers but when attached directly to the LCD it doesn't.

I'm so tired of all this HDMI-HDCP crap.

At this point I'd say the Onkyo could be the culprit. Your LCD display is indeed a very nice set

I think you should go direct to your display with hdmi and then go analog from the XA-2 to your Onkyo. For the PS3, you can use the optical and avoid the hdmi, but you'll lose the loss less audio. However, most Onkyos are pretty good and even the optical should be pretty good. JMHO.
post #739 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Mine only came with a power cable and 3-way stereo audio composite cable. And there were also batteries for the remote:-)

Same experience
post #740 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathor View Post

Same experience

Thanks for the heads up guys. I just ordered another HDMI cable. I should have been suspicious of Toshiba's answer when their rep also went on to tell me that the XA2 firmware had been available since early Feb. Only after I told her that many others reported it wasn't available yet did she then correct herself.

Speaking of which - does anyone know when the XA2 will get support added for 1080p/24?

Lastly, does anyone have a link to the PDF User Documentation for the XA2? The only user manual on the Toshiba web site is for the A1 and XA1...
post #741 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

You've changed too many variables to blame the XA2 so definitively. You have a different TV, a different player, and a different signal chain. Do you still have the Oppo? Try plugging it into your current setup and see how the disc looks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #742 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

If you look at the Avia resolution test patterns, you can clearly see the Edge Enhancement filter adding halos around sharp lines in the image.

Leave it off.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #743 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I'm purchasing the XA2 today online. Can anyone quickly tell me if it comes with an HDMI cable by any chance? If not I'll need to add one to my order. Thanks!

It doesn't come w/ a HDMI cable, but I got mine from monoprice.com for a little over $10 (shipped) and it's working great...
post #744 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM

After two weeks and probably 5 movies I feel I should chime in and say that I have had ZERO glitches. Although my operation is simple, power on, movie in, play, movie over, power off. So at least the XA2 can do that without messing up.

Upconversion, HD, and AQ, are all just friggin sweet.
post #745 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM

I finally got a chance to play a bunch of DVDs to test the upconversion performance vis-a-vis the Oppo 981 (which I returned because of MB problems).

The verdict: The Oppo was impressive, but it's a no contest when it comes to a head to head match w/ the XA2. Even movies with lousy transfers (Blade Runner for example), which were almost unwatchable with the Oppo, looked halfway decent.

My suggestion to someone wanting to show off the upconversion abilities of the XA2 is to play something like "2046", "In a Mood for Love" or "Umbrellas of Cherburg".

It's going to be really hard to convince me to replace any of my existing SDs w/ HD-DVDs ....
post #746 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You've changed too many variables to blame the XA2 so definitively. You have a different TV, a different player, and a different signal chain. Do you still have the Oppo? Try plugging it into your current setup and see how the disc looks.

Thank you Josh z and Plazman for your feedback. I will begin performing the advise that's been provided as soon as I have sometime for myself.

I do hope I get to keep the HDMI audio into the Receiver because of the awesome audio i'm able to enjoy.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it's the Onkyo.

I will report back.

Excelsior.
post #747 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Make sure whatever input you are setting is set to 100% overscan. Some Plasmas and LCDs conversion to 97% 720p overscan looks muddy. And % overscan negates the HD XA2s processing

If the HD XA2 is sending 720p out make sure you 720p display input is set to 100% overscan, if you don't your display takes the pretty REon output and squeezes it again 97% and yu don't get a 1 : 1 pixel match.

Same deal works on 1080p input/output.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #748 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Lastly, does anyone have a link to the PDF User Documentation for the XA2? The only user manual on the Toshiba web site is for the A1 and XA1...

on this page
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UaQt24V...i=052HDXA2#Tab

direct link

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UaQt24V...i=052HDXA2#Tab

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #749 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post

I finally got a chance to play a bunch of DVDs to test the upconversion performance vis-a-vis the Oppo 981 (which I returned because of MB problems).

The verdict: The Oppo was impressive, but it's a no contest when it comes to a head to head match w/ the XA2. Even movies with lousy transfers (Blade Runner for example), which were almost unwatchable with the Oppo, looked halfway decent.

My suggestion to someone wanting to show off the upconversion abilities of the XA2 is to play something like "2046", "In a Mood for Love" or "Umbrellas of Cherburg".

It's going to be really hard to convince me to replace any of my existing SDs w/ HD-DVDs ....

HD DVD background detail and contrast ratios in dim scenes are the clue. Its the background images and the right and left side of the image that softens due to the low bitrate MPEG-2 encoding. The HD XA2 does a greta job of making it look conherent and pretty but it can't create detail out of nothing.

If I like the movie, I'll snatch it up on HD DVD .

But ask me if I'm in a hurry to replace any of my SD DVD disks for Blu-ray ones. Upconversion is good enough for those at the moment.

follow me on Twitter
post #750 of 4649 Old 02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Found it - thanks!

One thing I noticed on that page - it said the box included among other things an "Important Firmware Update Information sheet".

Does anyone know what that is about? I was under the impression there is no updated firmware yet for the XA2.

Speaking of which - what is the latest word on getting 1080p/24hz? Are we sure at this point that this will come at all to the XA2? Or are they going to later come out and say we need the XA3 etc?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page