Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post

The receiver doesn't need to decode it - the player does that. The receiver isn't decoding DD+ or TrueHD over the 5.1 analog inputs, either.

he is referring to setting the player to output 'bitstream' over hdmi which means if you are playing a movie with dd+ or dd-thd (with dts-hd ma it can always simply output the dts 'core') you are by definition outputting the compressed/encoded source straight from the player and the player isn't going to decode it but simply pass it along.

agree that if you are going out over analog, obviously the player has to decode before doing the dac to output over the analog multi-channel outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How is the audio on the XA2 using coax or toshlink? ( Iknow you don't get TrueHD) I had the A2 but had to return because I was getting no sound fromthe center channel using toshlink ( I have no HDMI).
thetman
post #183 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

On a 720p display does the HD XA2 with the new Reon processor do better at having the resolution set at 720P?

Before with the HD A1 and XA1 it was better to have your display convert 1080i output to its native resolution. Does the new Reon change that equation?

Did anyone answer this ? I too have a 720p display. Anyone ?
post #184 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The receiver doesn't need to decode it - the player does that. The receiver isn't decoding DD+ or TrueHD over the 5.1 analog inputs, either.

exactly, so WHY would you want to send bitstream over HDMI?? Maybe i'm misunderstanding the problem being reported. i thought people were saying the the player won't let them output bitstream over HDMI.

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
post #185 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else experienced the "black crush" issue on the XA2 with The Hulk HD DVD?

EDIT: Specifically the night scene where the mutant dogs are attacking the Hulk.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #186 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

he is referring to setting the player to output 'bitstream' over hdmi which means if you are playing a movie with dd+ or dd-thd (with dts-hd ma it can always simply output the dts 'core') you are by definition outputting the compressed/encoded source straight from the player and the player isn't going to decode it but simply pass it along.

This is incorrect. DD+ and TrueHD are always decoded by the player. If using an HDMI connection, they are decoded to PCM and output that way. The only way to transmit a raw DD+ or TrueHD bitstream to a receiver is with HDMI 1.3, and only if the track is authored in "Basic" format, which none are.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #187 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This is incorrect. DD+ and TrueHD are always decoded by the player. If using an HDMI connection, they are decoded to PCM and output that way. The only way to transmit a raw DD+ or TrueHD bitstream to a receiver is with HDMI 1.3, and only if the track is authored in "Basic" format, which none are.

i wasn't incorrect as that is exactly what i have been saying: when you say you want to output bitstream, you are talking about the compressed/encoded audio, not the decoded pcm...given that the XA2 has 1.3, it has the ability to output the bitstream but there isn't anything yet available to receive/decode it.

i don't think the track being authored in basic format prevents the bitstream from being output, does it? is this really where you are taking issue?

if so, and that is the case, then i would agree but the point i was trying to get clarified is that when we say bitstream and we are discussing dd+ or dd-thd, there can be no bitstream without "at least" hdmi 1.3 on both the player and the receiver...then the receiver would require the requisite decoders to hear anything.
post #188 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

i don't think the track being authored in basic format prevents the bitstream from being output, does it? is this really where you are taking issue?

I believe so. Somewhere there's another thread/post that states the hidef bitstreams are not permitted (or allowed by spec, or something) to be transmitted if the disc is encoded in "advanced" mode - or not "basic mode", like Josh said. I prefer player decoding - a lot less chance of video processing not syncing with audio processing. Although there's legit reasons to do it externally also.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #189 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I believe so. Somewhere there's another thread/post that states the hidef bitstreams are not permitted (or allowed by spec, or something) to be transmitted if the disc is encoded in "advanced" mode - or not "basic mode", like Josh said. I prefer player decoding - a lot less chance of video processing not syncing with audio processing. Although there's legit reasons to do it externally also.

larry

i'm in agreement on letting the player do it for the same reason...although purportedly the hdmi 1.3 spec has provisions for eliminating sync issues.

since we aren't talking about dac, i'm not sure why an external decoder would be better...if it is just for equalization, i would imagine it can be done just as readily to the uncompressed pcm as it could to the encoded bitstream.

i do recall the past threads/discussions on the topic but thought that there wasn't anything preventing the bitstream from being output over hdmi 1.3 but when doing so you lose the audio that might otherwise get mixed in (button/menu sounds...which would actually give me reason to output the bitstream, to get rid of those sounds!!! )
post #190 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Most amazing player, get 1080i over component, but not via hdmi converted to dvi on my Mitsubishi 65813. I have an XA1 also with some connector no problem getting 10801 over hdmi, or upconverting standard dvd.

My only problem is hd dvd is ok over component, but i can't convert standard dvd to 1080i, serious problem. A lot of people are complaining about the A2 same problem, with hdmi to dvi getting 10801 it reverts to 480p

Please help
post #191 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

What difference does it make whether the LOGO displays or not?

It's nice to know which input I'm on...I have 4 devices plugged into my HDMI receiver and when I switch from one to the other it's nice (and normal) to be able to see Panasonic blu-ray logo, Sony mega changer logo, Directv Logo, and HD-DVD logo...My old HD-A1 had a bouncing logo when the screen was idle...I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DON'T HAVE A FRICKIN LOGO!!!!!!!
post #192 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I thought you had the sony blu ray player. I agree with you, I would want to see the logo as well. Plus if it is not doing that correctly who knows maybe it is not doing something else right either...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #193 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffer View Post

exactly, so WHY would you want to send bitstream over HDMI?? Maybe i'm misunderstanding the problem being reported. i thought people were saying the the player won't let them output bitstream over HDMI.

The way I understood the issue - and maybe I am misunderstanding - is that when the Toshiba converts the legacy DD/DTS bitstreams to PCM, it's sending 2ch over HDMI... which would be bad, if that's true. I understood he was trying to send the bitstream to avoid the conversion to 2ch PCM.
post #194 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

Most amazing player, get 1080i over component, but not via hdmi converted to dvi on my Mitsubishi 65813. I have an XA1 also with some connector no problem getting 10801 over hdmi, or upconverting standard dvd.

My only problem is hd dvd is ok over component, but i can't convert standard dvd to 1080i, serious problem. A lot of people are complaining about the A2 same problem, with hdmi to dvi getting 10801 it reverts to 480p

Please help

What? I have a DVI input on my Panny HDTV and this won't work with HDMI>DVI?

Is this another FW upgrade issue that is coming.

Sorry....not a user...so delete if you want Mod
post #195 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
spa

Many people have HDMI to DVI working just fine. HDMI to DVI will lose blacker than black and whiter than white, but many displays do work with it otherwise. My panasonic plasma does, for example.

Those who have the problem are obviously waiting for a FW fix. A recent poll showed that a significant number of those using DVI saw the problem, but still less than half.

Steve
post #196 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I thought you had the sony blu ray player. I agree with you, I would want to see the logo as well. Plus if it is not doing that correctly who knows maybe it is not doing something else right either...

joerod... I did have the Sony...but dumped it in favor of the Panny...I have gone full circle!...LOL. From Panny, to Sony, to PS3 to Pioneer Elite, and now back to the Panny...I now have the Toshiba HD-XA2 and the Panny Blu-Ray...I really like to be able to hear the PCM+ modes on my receiver and the Sony and Pioneer won't allow them for some stupid reason...
post #197 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way I understood the issue - and maybe I am misunderstanding - is that when the Toshiba converts the legacy DD/DTS bitstreams to PCM, it's sending 2ch over HDMI... which would be bad, if that's true. I understood he was trying to send the bitstream to avoid the conversion to 2ch PCM.

what i was trying to clarify was whether he was trying to send the dd+ or dd-thd tracks...most titles use dd+ IF they have a legacy track, then you need to select that in the title's menu as the audio option otherwise i would expect you get nothing, or maybe simply 2ch pcm...i'll have my xa2 soon so i'll be able to see just what the menu options are and what is being output on my setups.

my xa1 is in my main setup which does not have hdmi so i had never really paid much attention...the xa2 will be married to an hdmi avr.
post #198 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

Track authored in "Basic" = Raw bitstream can be output over HDMI 1.3.

Track authored in "Advanced" = Player must do all decoding to PCM first.

All HD DVD soundtracks are authored in "Advanced" format.

Read this for more details:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9353634

Josh Z

post #199 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for clearing that up and providing that link...good stuff
post #200 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

All HD DVD soundtracks are authored in "Advanced" format.

Not all. I've found three discs so far authored in basic format: Heart: Alive in Seattle, Manilow Live, and the Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire disc.

--
Steve
post #201 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm94 View Post

Just got HD-XA2 and is hooked up to 46" Sony XBR3 with HDMI. Comparing it to PS3 is a no brainer. HD-XA2 blows PS3 away. I watched King Kong on PS3 vs HD-XA2 and hats off to Toshiba.

Holy CRAP, dude... You are aware that the PS3 does not upscale? Please try and keep your comparisons between the XA2 and whatever else in line.

I heart dinosaurs
post #202 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky View Post

Not all. I've found three discs so far authored in basic format: Heart: Alive in Seattle, Manilow Live, and the Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire disc.

--
Steve

OK, I'll let you slide on Heart and Chicago, but what the hell were you doing with a Manilow HD DVD ?
post #203 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

original prime, this is off-topic, but thank you for your signature lines. I can't believe how many posters use "then" when they should be using "than", or how many don't know that you "lose" something when you misplace it, and that "loose" means not tight.

Thank you.

John
post #204 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

original prime, this is off-topic, but thank you for your signature lines. I can't believe how many posters use "then" when they should be using "than", or how many don't know that you "lose" something when you misplace it, and that "loose" means not tight.

Thank you.

And they are "dual" not "duel" players...
post #205 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Liked: 13
are hd-dvd movies encoded in 1080p or 1080i?
post #206 of 4649 Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

are hd-dvd movies encoded in 1080p or 1080i?

All HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs are 1080p encoded on the disc.
post #207 of 4649 Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optica View Post

All HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs are 1080p encoded on the disc.

For theatrical features, yes. However, some special interest content such as A View From Space With Heavenly Music or Guitarscape Planet was originally shot on 1080i HD video and is encoded on disc as 1080i.

Josh Z

post #208 of 4649 Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Has anyone else experienced a skip in the video/audio while watching SD DVDs and HD DVDs ? I've had it happen to me on 4 separate occasions on 4 different discs. At first i thought it may have been a scratch or something on the disk, but if i rewind and replay the scene, it plays fine the second time. This has happened to me on:

MI:3 (HD)
Phantom (HD)
King Kong (HD)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (SD)
post #209 of 4649 Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Has anybody calibrated with the XA2 going HDMI->DVI?

thanks,

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #210 of 4649 Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 AM

hi, i'm trying to decide how to ideally setup my new xa-2 for optimal audio. i have 5.1 surround sound and a Yamaha non-hdmi receiver w/5.1 analog inputs,plus optical of course. i'm not too knowledgeable about audio (pcm/bitstream/etc etc all pretty much foreign to me!). so i would like to know, if i use my current receiver and run all of the audio thru 5.1 analog, will i be getting the best audio quality (including Dolby TrueHD when available) this way? or should i buy a new hi-quality receiver (Pioneer vsx82 for example) w/hdmi 1.2 and run everything (audio and video) thru the receiver ? i dont mind spending the $$$ if it will make a small difference, but ideally i would of course rather be able to use what i have now if i'm not sacrificing any quality. thanks !
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page