AVS Forum banner

Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!

683K views 5K replies 913 participants last post by  fmalczewski 
#1 ·
I see we don't have a thread for this yet, but how about we discuss our reports on the upcoming Toshiba HD-XA2. Mines is scheduled to deliver in two weeks. Let's have some feedback on the first 1080p HD-DVD player ever made.

Cheers!!!

#3 ·
I luckily found and bought a HD-XA2 today. The store I bought it from just got it this morning and only received five. I paid $999.99 plus tax for it ($1,080 total). I didn't get much time to play with it, but here are the specs.

1. Structure is very similar to the HD-A2, except in a different top cover and the nice aluminum door at the front.

2. Loading time appears to be two seconds faster with a HD-DVD disc than the HD-A2.

3. Feels three pounds heavier than the HD-A2.

4. Picture quality is slightly better in 1080i (not much difference at all) than the HD-A2.

It was hooked up with my Toshiba MW26H82 26" HD CRT TV/DVD/VCR combo. The TV doesn't accept 1080p resolution, so I'll let someone post another review.

Will get back to you guys later tonight.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes /forum/post/0

I luckily found and bought a HD-XA2 today. The store I bought it from just got it this morning and only received five. I paid $999.99 plus tax for it ($1,080 total).

This is the AVS Forum equivalent of a religious person seeing the Virgin Mary on a toast (or a profile of Jesus in a spot of grease on the grill). It's a sign from above people, convert to HD-DVD or else!

#13 ·
Picked up the HD-XA2 tonight

Just to preface I am a big DVD collector that only recently starting getting AV equipment to boost the movie viewing experience. As a result may not know that many technical details but will try to make a few comments

Build: Not the armor plated HD-A1 but quite solid. Still a fairly large unit compared to the other DVD players that I have had. Slimmer then the A-1 with what I would call a typical height and fairly deep. Certainly much cooler looking then the A-1

Remote: Same style as the A-1 but much more responsive. Not exactly what I was expecting but an improvement. Better and more readable labels. Personally I do not really care for this style of directional control but maybe that is because I rarely play video games

SetUp: Screens are simular to the A-1 but with a few more options

StartUp: My times were about 30-35 seconds to the welcome screen and about 45 seconds to begin play of HD DVD[King Kong] from power on

Picture: On my 42 inch 1080p LCD I noticed an upgrade in picture over the A-1 via the HDMI output. More then I was expecting
Detail and depth in King Kong seemed better to my eyes with more robust blacks

Audio: Functions differently over the analog outputs then the A-1. Hard to specify but the default base level is certainly different

Overall I am pretty pleased with this player so far. Note that in addition to the A-1 which I am now retiring I have the PS3 60 -- Ed

#14 ·
Excellent looking player, feels solid and is rather wide.

I can only acheive 480p on my 50" 720p DVI only Samsung Plasma via my HDMI-DVI adapter coming out of the Onkyo 674 which then connects to the DVI input on the TV.

Yet I switch to the PS3 with the same connection and I can get 1080i.

I can't wait to purchase a 1080p HDMI Plasma or LCD and I might not even wait for HDMI 1.3, that's how much this DVI connection bothers me.

Oh well.

P.S. That is the longest Remote I have ever used! It's like a sword! Looks and feels good though.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

I can only acheive 480p on my 50" 720p DVI only Samsung Plasma via my HDMI-DVI adapter coming out of the Onkyo 674 which then connects to the DVI input on the TV.

I can't wait to purchase a 1080p HDMI Plasma or LCD and I might not even wait for HDMI 1.3, that's how much this DVI connection bothers me.

Oh well.

P.S. That is the longest Remote I have ever used! It's like a sword! Looks and feels good though.

Sorry if this is insulting...

Do you go into the menu of the HD-XA2 and ensure that the resolution is set propery...I think it's "up to 720p", or "1080i"?...

#17 ·

Quote:

Oh well.

This might already be obvious to you, but did you try changing the video output setting to something higher than 480p?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx /forum/post/0

Sorry if this is insulting...

Do you go into the menu of the HD-XA2 and ensure that the resolution is set propery...I think it's "up to 720p", or "1080i"?...

Not insulted, sometimes the basic things are overlooked.

I do have the setting to 1080i.

As Yoda would say, "Very unfortunate this is".

Will take pics tomorrow. It's a really sexy looking player and yes I just said sexy, sorry, but it is.

#21 ·
silly things to check for, you lucky XA2 owners:

1) HDMI>DVI conversion, they get the Studio/PC levels thing sorted out yet?

2) Any hiccups/audio skips/barfs?

3) Do the menus in AVIA line up correctly?

4) Do the CD and DVD layers of DualDiscs play? Does the player magically decode DVD-A?

5) Is there better bass/speaker management facilities in the audio setup?

6) Load times: Can we get standardized testing? for example:

a) time from pressing eject on a powered off machine 'till the tray opens

b) time from when the tray closes after pressing play to when the title screen comes on for HD

c) ditto, but for DVD

thanks ahead of time, kids...

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/0

4) Do the CD and DVD layers of DualDiscs play? Does the player magically decode DVD-A?

b) time from when the tray closes after pressing play to when the title screen comes on for HD

c) ditto, but for DVD

As far as I can tell the load times on the XA2 are just as quick as I remember my XBOX 360 add on HD-DVD drive being. Seriously, after reading so many horror stories on how slow the first generation players were, I was pleasantly surprised with the quickness on the XA2! Excelsior!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/0

c) ditto, but for DVD

So far no hiccups or audio skips of any kind. Only about 1 hour of movie play and testing with 3 movies but so far very encouraging. By this time my A-1 would have had some type of hiccup

Bass speaker management options in the audio set up appear to be the same as far as I can tell. The default bass level seems lower

There is a setup option for Twin Format Disc with HD DVD or DVD options that the A-1 did not have. I have no such disks to test

I do not use DVI

Will try and do more load time testing tomorrow when I have more play time

#24 ·
Picked up an XA2 tonite from VE (you're the man Robert & it was a pleasure meeting you Kosty) Have it hooked up through a Sony 5200ES receiver (via HDMI) going to a 42" 1080P Westinghouse...i've almost finished watching Serenity (HD-DVD) & the picture is phenomenal!! I have a XA1 hooked up to a Sony 60" SXRD & the Xbox 360 add-on already connected to the Westy...ive compared the add-on (hooked up w/VGA 1080P & component upconverted to 1080P through the 5200ES) & the XA2 (I have 2 copies of Serenity) w/some interesting results...as good as the add-on looked, the XA2 just beats the crap out of it...the picture is w/out a doubt brighter & sharper...really pops off the screen, more so than the add-on which i've been thrilled with (up until now, anyway) i'll try to do some more comparisons as soon as possible....just my initial reactions, but wow...i'm sitting here w/an ear to ear grin like some mental patient enjoying my new toy

#25 ·

Quote:

Oh well.

I think you have the same bug many A2 users have reported with HDMI>DVI setups. If you set the player to "up to 1080i" it will still default to 480p on some DVI equipped displays.

Jim

#26 ·
Can somebody please tell us how the XA2 handles fastforward and rewind? The A2 pauses first then does a choppy rewind then pauses again when play is resumed then there is no audio for a cople of seconds before normal play. I find it very annoying and am returning my A2 becasue of it. If this does not happen with the XA2, VE here I come! I know it might sound like a petty consideration, but it drives me crazy.

Thanks,

Jason