360 HD-DVD add on Audio compression issue.. Is there a date for the fix yet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2006, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched through threads and have not been able to find much information on this so I was just wondering if Amir (I think that is his name) or anybody else has posted an official date for the audio issue fix.

I know they are working on a DTS patch but I don't know if this will fix the problem or not. I think the DTS patch will convert everything to DTS and allow 1.5 MBPS instead of the lower 644 kbps (or something like that) but if it is a problem with the code compressing the sound not sure if this will fix it. I have read that a few people including Kris Deering.

Either way I just want to see this problem fixed.

Rheal Dubreuil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

No official date. The patch has been completed and is likely undergoing thorough testing to make sure it doesn't cause unexpected problems. (One recent game patch hosed some consoles and created a lot of negative buzz.)

In the meantime, try alternate audio tracks on discs that offer them. There is a lot of variation between titles, and I've found DD+, DTS, and TrueHD tracks that sounded very good and others that were disppointing.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to know it is finished and in testing. I hope it comes out soon.

From what I have heard the TrueHD tracks don't have the same issue so right now I am trying to buy movies with that option.

Hopefully we get an update some time soon.

Thanks,

Rheal Dubreuil

post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittangamo View Post

No official date. The patch has been completed and is likely undergoing thorough testing to make sure it doesn't cause unexpected problems. (One recent game patch hosed some consoles and created a lot of negative buzz.)

In the meantime, try alternate audio tracks on discs that offer them. There is a lot of variation between titles, and I've found DD+, DTS, and TrueHD tracks that sounded very good and others that were disppointing.

Actually, this isn't correct. Amir, posting on the insiders forum, stated just before Christmas that the bug fix for DD+ was still a work in progress. So the patch is not completed and is not undergoing testing as you stated.

Supposedly the feature to output DTS was completed. When asked about the release date for that, Amir stated there was "nothing concrete".
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wnorris,

Thanks for clearing that up. Where is this insiders forum you mentioned?

Thanks,

Rheal Dubreuil

post #6 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 AM

I watched snakes on a plane on my 360 HD DVD drive last night and selected DTS ES, and my reciever displayed DTS ES as the output and it sounded great.... maybe they implemented it already?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnutty View Post

I watched snakes on a plane on my 360 HD DVD drive last night and selected DTS ES, and my reciever displayed DTS ES as the output and it sounded great.... maybe they implemented it already?

There is no issue with the drive ! Its the Software that decodes the HD-DVD Sound, that is corrupted and needs to be fixed.

So playing a standard DVD (As Snakes on a plane) will not give you any problems.

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #8 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes as far as I know the normal DVD software has no sound Issues. It is just the HD-DVD software that has some sounds issues. As far as I know there are two things in the works one patch and one upgrade / extra feature depending on your point of view.

Upgrade / extra feature is:
----------------------------------
Addition of DTS (I think that will include the 1.5mbps bandwidth but will only sound good if used properly)

Patch:
---------
Fix the DD sounds issue with the sounds dropping out.

Are there other upcoming patches / upgrades I am missing? Also are my above statements correct.... that is my understanding of the two being worked on right now.

Thanks and enjoy your HD-DVD drives.

Rheal Dubreuil

post #9 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 AM

Sorry for me being confused on the issue, I just got my drive and am a noob to the whole issue. So the actual problem is HD DVD's not decoding DTS correctly, as well as sound drop outs?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Let me try ... I am still fairly new and the other threads are just massive. So here is my attempt.. if I am wrong somebody will correct me This is what I believe.

DTS when selected on HD-DVD's will be decoded as Dolby Digital (DD) and it is Dolby Digital that has the drop outs. This is not a fault of the drive but the software used to play HD-DVD's and the fix is being worked on for the DD issue and an update is also being worked on to include DTS that will be output as DTS.

Normal DVD's are played fine with no drop outs and will decode DTS normally so it is not a hardware issue.

Hope that is correct and hope it helps.

Rheal Dubreuil

post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Liked: 14
I dont have any dropouts, I have terrible dynamic range. If you have Superman Returns watch the SD version in the regualar drive and then watch it on hd-dvd. The planet explosion at the beginning is a very good example of the problem.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I need some understanding how to hook up my kids 360 to the internet and have some questions, if anyone can help please PM me

post #13 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The problem I notice is that dialogue is very low. When I turn up the audio level the dialogue gets better but when effects occur the sounds is crazy loud. So the audio isn't even. Is that the same problem ya'll are hearing?

JS

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #14 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnutty View Post

Sorry for me being confused on the issue, I just got my drive and am a noob to the whole issue. So the actual problem is HD DVD's not decoding DTS correctly, as well as sound drop outs?

Per knowledgeable Xbox 360 users (not me ), the problem is only with Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) decoding. Apparently the decode defaults to a limited dynamic range (like Night Time mode). When you have the choice of using Dolby TrueHD or dts on the disc menu, then the limited dynamic range problem goes away.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

bobgpsr,

Yes that about sums up the problem. Thanks.

Rheal Dubreuil

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page