A2 upconverts ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would someone by an upconvert DVD player for $100 to $150 when you can get an A2 for a little more ??? I would think the A2 would upconvert as well as an Oppo ??? Yes ??? NO ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I understand the A-1/XA-1 series are extreamly good upconverters. As the A-2/XA2's are very similar I would bet that they are great upconverters also.

However I believe that you only get the upconvert over HDMI. Unless it is a backup disk or not copy protected, then you can get it over component.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckster View Post

Why would someone by an upconvert DVD player for $100 to $150 when you can get an A2 for a little more ??? I would think the A2 would upconvert as well as an Oppo ??? Yes ??? NO ????

I agree with you, but you can get upscaling players such as Sony for <$100, so if you can't afford the Tosh (I wouldn't call a $400-$500 price tag "a little more"), an upscaling player could tide you over until you can.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I agree with you, but you can get upscaling players such as Sony for <$100, so if you can't afford the Tosh (I wouldn't call a $400-$500 price tag "a little more"), an upscaling player could tide you over until you can.

However, not all upscalers are created equal -- the Tosh A1/A2 is much better at upscaling than the Sony.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to spend too much but I will wait until I see a sale on the A2 & jump on it. That way I have both. I just wanted to be sure the A2 will upconvert as well or better than the Oppo.

Now does anybody know anything about video processors ?? I've posted several Q's & can't get an answer. I have a Mits HD1000 projecter & I'm interested in the iSync power buy for as a VP. Will it enhance the PQ ... especially motion & SD.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:

When the A1 first shipped I asked the Oppo guys in Mountain View (in person) what they thought of the scaling to which they replied, "It's REALLY good. I mean, it's basically a computer, right?"

So, I bought the Oppo a year ago to get better color accuracy, DVD-Audio, multi-format, regionless support and great upscaling to 720P - all of which i got. It's a great little player and has pretty darn good sound quality playing CDs.

If HD-DVD looks like the winner by next Christmas and price competition drops retail to <$400 then I'll be happy to replace my Oppo and get DVD-Audio support, and great upscaling. If not, then maybe a PS3 and I'll keep my Oppo...

Just my $0.02 cents...
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 05:33 AM

As others have said, yes the A2 upconverts.

I just found out over the weekend that my Samsung HL-S6188 has different picture modes available depending on what type of signal (SD or HD) it receives. I had my OPPO set for 1080i output and, while watching Rocky II DVD, noticed that I didn't have the ability to use the "Zoom 1" picture setting. I kept thinking I had the DVD in the player on the 4:3 side or that the OPPO's setting somehow defaulted. I finally gave up troubleshooting and watched the film letter and pillarboxed.

It wasn't until I this past weekend when I started watching "The Abyss" that I figured out the issue. When I set the OPPO to output 480i or 480P, my TV gets all the picture mode; 4:3, 16:9, Wide Fit, Zoom 1 and Zoom 2. When the OPPO is set to output at HD resolution, my TV will only switch between 4:3, 16:9 and Wide Fit. So, with "The Abyss" I couldn't get the picture to the proper aspect ratio until I set the OPPO to output at 480P.

Just something to be aware of.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

The HD players won't read PAL or other region disks. I recall reports of failure to play certain burnable formats, but haven't investigated closely. You would need something like the Oppo for those disks.

If I were shopping today I would be tempted by HD-DVD, but I still have the cynical suspicion that the vendors will pull the plug on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray if the new sales goldrush does not materialize. Which may happen.

-Bill
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page