Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Simple question.

For example, prior to E3 every year - there is about a week or so right before the event start date that has the press churning out all kinds of "pre-E3" news, as they call it. Whether it is just little hints or real concrete information - due to this, a reader usually knows quite a bit about what products, announcements, and other things to expect at the show beforehand.

Is this true of CES as well? Or will the news front be generally dead this week as everyone recovers from New Years and is quiet, preparing for the show? Or what?

Also, will we hear the biggest announcements, most announcements, and most important announcements on the very first day of the show (like how E3 does it)...OR will the news instead trickle out equally along the CES week duration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM

We have had some advance CES information leak out already. I posted the upcoming software for 1080p 24 fps for the XA2 and the Silicon Optix Reon video processor hardware upgrade.

I have other information, but have promised not to disclose it. So we'll wait for CES and some one day earlier press releases to learn about the future.

-Robert
post #3 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I read online today that some HD DVD supporting companies are going to make some key announcements January 7th.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8295.cfm

Quote:

Toshiba is reportedly preparing to focus its efforts mainly on the HD DVD format offerings at CES. The company will stand behind and push the format despite predictions that disc sales are likely to drop over the next couple of years. A group of companies backing the HD DVD format are to hold a news conference on the first Sunday of 2007, January 7th.

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Silicon Optix Reon video processor.

Joe V.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Robert...hopefully good info for HD DVD. I'm banking on some combination of the follwing, all would be AWESOME!

-concerted announcement of a large amount of new titles (it has slowed lately, I think on purpose to make a bigger splash at CES)

-announcement of 1 or 2 more hardware manufacturers that are not clones or rebadges

-announcement of upcoming fw to enable DTS-HD on all decks (making the tosh the only players on the market capable of decoding ALL next-gen audio formats) and who knows maybe even enabling WM9 playback as well (wishful thinking I know)

-announcement of concerted effort to have more visible retail space, and more advertisement in B&M stores and on television

-possibly 1 or 2 more studios releasing titles (whether it be ones that haven't released for either format yet, or a BD exclusive going neutral)

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #6 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention maybe the intro of the new twin layer discs (that are not flippers) but still have the SD DVD and HD DVD versions of the movie. Maybe along with a lowered MSRP for these "combo" discs and standard discs...that would rock! Making price an even better advantage to HD DVD.

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #7 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm very frightened with this year CES and wish the 2006 year to continue. My only concern right now is whether or not Toshiba is making their REGZA LCD TVs in the new models. If they are not made by Toshiba, then I cannot match this with the HD-XA2 player that I bought, which means I have to give up on HD-DVD and move to Blu-Ray.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

Robert...hopefully good info for HD DVD. I'm banking on some combination of the follwing, all would be AWESOME!

1) -concerted announcement of a large amount of new titles (it has slowed lately, I think on purpose to make a bigger splash at CES)

2) -announcement of 1 or 2 more hardware manufacturers that are not clones or rebadges

3) -announcement of upcoming fw to enable DTS-HD on all decks (making the tosh the only players on the market capable of decoding ALL next-gen audio formats) and who knows maybe even enabling WM9 playback as well (wishful thinking I know)

4) -announcement of concerted effort to have more visible retail space, and more advertisement in B&M stores and on television

5) -possibly 1 or 2 more studios releasing titles (whether it be ones that haven't released for either format yet, or a BD exclusive going neutral)

1) Likely. A little deceptive to do it that way, but I'm sure Blu-ray will do the same.
2) Possible, but doesn't look like it'll include Samsung, Panasonic, or Pioneer. Perhaps some lesser brands.
3) Unlikely. PS3 can do everything the A2 can do audio-wise. It is also unlikely that Toshiba will add DTS-HD MA to A2's, let alone A1's. Maybe. PS3 can already do DTS-HD as the DTS core, so Toshiba may match that. But a firmware update may give PS3 DTS-HD MA. Do you really think Toshiba can add that to HD-A2? You say "all decks," which implies you think A1's may get that upgrade, too. Somehow, I'm certain that even if it were possible, Toshiba wants all those A1's upgrading to A2's and won't do it.
4) There is no need for an announcement to do smarter PR. They just fail miserably at it. They're underfunded (Universal and Toshiba vs Sony/MGM/Fox/Lionsgate/Disney/Miramax and Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/Pioneer) and they seem fairly inept at marketing. Historically, Sony has been a good marketer. I doubt they'd put something like this into a press release because it'd just highlight their weakness as a standard-pusher. It's something they'd just do.
5) I half-expect New Line to join WB in supporting the HD formats. Neutral. I don't expect any BD defections because the truth is they just started supporting the formats in a big way and with the PS3 still selling out in a lot of places, the numbers for it are yet unclear. Meanwhile, the HD DVD release window looks dried up at the moment and their marketing department is inept. Many of the Blu-ray studios have developed Blu-oriented features and seem fairly derisive of HD DVD as a format. In truth, Universal is more likely to switch than any of the Big Five.
6) That kind of combo disc would be acceptable as long as it didn't cost more. That would be great. Wonderful even. It won't happen for that reason. No way. Sorry. 45 gig discs might be announced, but would no doubt cause compatibility issues and wind up providing little benefit for studios already busily making 30 gig discs that make most features into SD extravaganzas with an HD flick. This kind of announcement would only have an effect at the end of this year.

Expect Universal title announcements at CES, a firmware update to add 24 fps to XA2, and the possibility of some lower cost players to come later in the year. Maybe New Line as a neutral party. I expect no more from HD DVD.

Meanwhile, Blu-ray will likely announce all that, including possibly news on a PS3 update to give it DTS HD MA and new players to replace the ones that they are selling now, plus even more titles with their BDA.

Together with that, I suspect the big news'll be receivers that support HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA decoding.
post #9 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Liked: 12
Look to the home market in Japan and in Asia. Toshiba has typically not been strong in A/V products in their home market. They also seem to fall short in style and look (important in consumer products) compared to Sony and Samsung who winn numerous design awards. The Toshiba G2 players or current TVs offered in the US are no exception. Without other manufacturers SOON stepping up to support HD DVD, I would predict that Toshiba cannot support the format alone. Can anyone in Japan report any product developments that can predict new things at CES? US market is the big prize but my experience of having lived 12 years in Japan is that new products there often are introduced a few months ahead of US market.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

They're underfunded (Universal and Toshiba vs Sony/MGM/Fox/Lionsgate/Disney/Miramax and Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/Pioneer) and they seem fairly inept at marketing.

You forgot big brother: MS.

Jody

Gamertag: MajorHellraiser
post #11 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyL View Post

You forgot big brother: MS.

And the fact that MS runs this world.
post #12 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Intel also was listed as support for HD DVD no? Another company you can't forget.

D

edit: here it is :
http://news.com.com/Intel%2C+Microso...3-5883337.html
post #13 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

1) Likely. A little deceptive to do it that way, but I'm sure Blu-ray will do the same.
2) Possible, but doesn't look like it'll include Samsung, Panasonic, or Pioneer. Perhaps some lesser brands.
3) Unlikely. PS3 can do everything the A2 can do audio-wise. It is also unlikely that Toshiba will add DTS-HD MA to A2's, let alone A1's. Maybe. PS3 can already do DTS-HD as the DTS core, so Toshiba may match that. But a firmware update may give PS3 DTS-HD MA. Do you really think Toshiba can add that to HD-A2? You say "all decks," which implies you think A1's may get that upgrade, too. Somehow, I'm certain that even if it were possible, Toshiba wants all those A1's upgrading to A2's and won't do it.
4) There is no need for an announcement to do smarter PR. They just fail miserably at it. They're underfunded (Universal and Toshiba vs Sony/MGM/Fox/Lionsgate/Disney/Miramax and Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/Pioneer) and they seem fairly inept at marketing. Historically, Sony has been a good marketer. I doubt they'd put something like this into a press release because it'd just highlight their weakness as a standard-pusher. It's something they'd just do.
5) I half-expect New Line to join WB in supporting the HD formats. Neutral. I don't expect any BD defections because the truth is they just started supporting the formats in a big way and with the PS3 still selling out in a lot of places, the numbers for it are yet unclear. Meanwhile, the HD DVD release window looks dried up at the moment and their marketing department is inept. Many of the Blu-ray studios have developed Blu-oriented features and seem fairly derisive of HD DVD as a format. In truth, Universal is more likely to switch than any of the Big Five.
6) That kind of combo disc would be acceptable as long as it didn't cost more. That would be great. Wonderful even. It won't happen for that reason. No way. Sorry. 45 gig discs might be announced, but would no doubt cause compatibility issues and wind up providing little benefit for studios already busily making 30 gig discs that make most features into SD extravaganzas with an HD flick. This kind of announcement would only have an effect at the end of this year.

Expect Universal title announcements at CES, a firmware update to add 24 fps to XA2, and the possibility of some lower cost players to come later in the year. Maybe New Line as a neutral party. I expect no more from HD DVD.

Meanwhile, Blu-ray will likely announce all that, including possibly news on a PS3 update to give it DTS HD MA and new players to replace the ones that they are selling now, plus even more titles with their BDA.

Together with that, I suspect the big news'll be receivers that support HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA decoding.

You forgot about Dreamworks. DCM is handling their HD plans. What are they? Will they be exclusive to HD-DVD? Paramount will do the distributing, but only to the format(s) that DCM specifies.

LGF will go neutral.

Newline will announce titles.

Dreamworks will step into the picture.

Anchor Bay will step into the picture.

Disney may announce neutrality, and it's a lot more likely than I thought yesterday.

Could be that its Sony/MGM/FOX vs Universal/Dreamworks/Weinstein/Anchor Bay

Which to me would mean a draw in the Studio department. Add the upcoming CE partners....

Things could level off at CES. Right now if I was the HD-DVDPRG I would be wining and dining DCM and securing another exclusive. That would be more important than anything. I'd also make sure that LGF was happy.

Disney is already leaning to neutrality and I wouldn't want to push them.
post #14 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd2005 View Post

You forgot about Dreamworks. DCM is handling their HD plans. What are they? Will they be exclusive to HD-DVD? Paramount will do the distributing, but only to the format(s) that DCM specifies.

LGF will go neutral.

Newline will announce titles.

Dreamworks will step into the picture.

Anchor Bay will step into the picture.

Disney may announce neutrality, and it's a lot more likely than I thought yesterday.

Could be that its Sony/MGM/FOX vs Universal/Dreamworks/Weinstein/Anchor Bay

Which to me would mean a draw in the Studio department. Add the upcoming CE partners....

Things could level off at CES. Right now if I was the HD-DVDPRG I would be wining and dining DCM and securing another exclusive. That would be more important than anything. I'd also make sure that LGF was happy.

Disney is already leaning to neutrality and I wouldn't want to push them.

tsd... even if you are half right, I'd be a VERY happy man. Come on Dreamworks and New Line!
post #15 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This post will add O% value, but I just have to say that I am really looking forward to CES 2007. I cant wait to hear announcements from both sides.
This is an exciting time to be in this hobby in my opinion.
post #16 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

It is also unlikely that Toshiba will add DTS-HD MA to A2's, let alone A1's. Maybe. PS3 can already do DTS-HD as the DTS core, so Toshiba may match that.

Every Toshiba and RCA HD DVD player has had DTS-HD (DTS core) decoding from the first day. There is no reason to believe that Toshiba could not add DTS-MA decoding to the A1/XA1 players, since they already added Dolby TrueHD 5.1 decoding.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #17 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

You beat me to it Chris. The Tosh have all been able to do the DTS-HD as the core. Adding DTS-HD MA should just be a simple fw upgrade.

So again, it would make the Toshiba decks the ONLY decks to decode ALL next-gen audio codecs if it happens (right now the Tosh and PS3 do the same). Rumors are it will happen in the next month or so, it was only a matter of DTS finalizing their specs, and Tosh writing the fw.

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #18 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

I'm very frightened with this year CES and wish the 2006 year to continue. My only concern right now is whether or not Toshiba is making their REGZA LCD TVs in the new models. If they are not made by Toshiba, then I cannot match this with the HD-XA2 player that I bought, which means I have to give up on HD-DVD and move to Blu-Ray.

You're "frightened" of an electronics expo?

Please.

Why on earth does it matter who makes your TV for you to use HD-DVD? I have a Sony SXRD and it certainly doesn't mean I have to use Blu-Ray.
post #19 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

My only concern right now is whether or not Toshiba is making their REGZA LCD TVs in the new models. If they are not made by Toshiba, then I cannot match this with the HD-XA2 player that I bought, which means I have to give up on HD-DVD and move to Blu-Ray.

WTF? Why do you have to match your TV set to your HD-DVD player??? That would make you switch???

What am I missing?

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #20 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want a Tosh TV.
post #21 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

I love mine.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #22 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

You beat me to it Chris. The Tosh have all been able to do the DTS-HD as the core. Adding DTS-HD MA should just be a simple fw upgrade.

So again, it would make the Toshiba decks the ONLY decks to decode ALL next-gen audio codecs if it happens (right now the Tosh and PS3 do the same). Rumors are it will happen in the next month or so, it was only a matter of DTS finalizing their specs, and Tosh writing the fw.

Wrong....The Panny Blu-Ray announced support for all the next-gen audio codecs way before Toshiba did....of course the biggest pre-CES news is LG announcing their combo HD-DVD Blu-Ray player!!
post #23 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You're "frightened" of an electronics expo?

Please.

Why on earth does it matter who makes your TV for you to use HD-DVD? I have a Sony SXRD and it certainly doesn't mean I have to use Blu-Ray.

Sony would like to have it that way.

I hate how my television remote has a Blu Ray button.

They've integrated it everywhere.
post #24 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Six-Pack View Post

Naaaa.

I use a Harmony universal remote.

And my input on the SXRD Sony set has been labeled to "HD-DVD".
post #25 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Mine is sweet.
post #26 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My dad loves his 1st gen 1080p, but I was disapointed that the 2nd gen still don't accept 1080p via HDMI.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #27 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexortega View Post

Wrong....The Panny Blu-Ray announced support for all the next-gen audio codecs way before Toshiba did....of course the biggest pre-CES news is LG announcing their combo HD-DVD Blu-Ray player!!

It is one thing to 'announce support" but quite another to actually deliver the firmware that makes it possible.
post #28 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM

The GIGANTICLY HUGE Pre-CES news is pouring in for HD DVD ...

1. BD loses another exclusive and MAJOR CE, (Remember LG Electronics ?)
2. Toshiba launches HD DVD PC writer
post #29 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Six-Pack View Post

Glad to see you have arrived here J6P!

The one and only announcement that you will want to spend the time understanding is from LG and concerns the dual format hidef player.

This player will obsolete all prior format specific players!

This will be HUGE.......only one player for which ever format you want. IT IS ONLY THE BEGINNING of this trend.......regardless of what others may say to the contrary. They have bought the hype of the HD and BD formats and shot their wad on a specific brand. They lost the war to the dual format player.

The war is over and the dual format player is the winner...........HUGE!!

Hurry CES 2007. The LG announcement at CES will blow away anything that could come from the HD and BD arenas. It's over boys.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

It is one thing to 'announce support" but quite another to actually deliver the firmware that makes it possible.

Panasonic reconfirmed their April delivery date for this firmware. It will happen and expect it to be reconfirmed at CES 2007.

Panasonic, unlike the other manufacturers have so far impressed with firmware deliveries. The firmware upgrade to V1.2 was posted very quickly after the release of the player and it worked without no problems.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page