Dual Format Disc Player Announced - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It probably has to do with their two joint ventures with Royal Philips Electronics. LG Philips Display and LG Philips LCD. They might be starting another joint venture with them in the DVD player market. Plus LG does sit on the board of directors of the BDA. With Philips and LG both sitting on the board of the BDA, they could easily secure a deal for a universal player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have already heard rumors about universal players made by sharp over in Asia, supposedly it's been in the market for at least couple months over there already. I just didn't expect it to hit the US market that fast. Never owned a LG player, so even if it hit the market, I'd probably wait til Denon start their production of the universal players. For now, I'd just enjoy my HDA1.
post #93 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 AM

Well I think we as consumers benefit the most from universal players as none of our current & recent purchases of media become obsolete or will require 2 machines on the rack. I would gladly pay a price bump to have only 1 box on the shelf as long as the quality is on par with other units. I have held off on a Blu purchase so far because the titles haven't hooked me in yet but a dual format player will part my cash from my wallet.

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #94 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 AM

We need a cheap Blu-ray Disc drive for the PC Then we can easily build our own "universal player".
post #95 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbh View Post

We need a cheap Blu-ray Disc drive for the PC Then we can easily build our own "universal player".

I would buy one in a second!

Affable Nitwit
post #96 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post

I have already heard rumors about universal players made by sharp over in Asia, supposedly it's been in the market for at least couple months over there already. I just didn't expect it to hit the US market that fast. Never owned a LG player, so even if it hit the market, I'd probably wait til Denon start their production of the universal players. For now, I'd just enjoy my HDA1.

A dual format player couldn't be out for two hours in Antarctica without forums like this reporting it. How could you possibly think Sharp could have had something out for months without anyone noticing?
post #97 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:

I am not sure how the launch of Universal player will help HD DVD in the format war.

Um, who gives a flying leap if it helps HD-DVD? I'm in this to watch high-quality movies. Some of those movies are in BD format. I don't want to buy a BD player and have two players sitting around. *I*, the consumer, AKA the one who spends the money to buy a product, want a dual-format player for my convenience.

I don't care what's good for BD or HD-DVD. I care about what's good for ME as a movie watcher.

Partisanship helps none of us. With a dual-format player, I will be free to purchase the best version of any movie made available in 1080p. (Though, in the case of some studios, "best" version may mean "only" version.)
post #98 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros73 View Post

Um, who gives a flying leap if it helps HD-DVD? I'm in this to watch high-quality movies. Some of those movies are in BD format. I don't want to buy a BD player and have two players sitting around. *I*, the consumer, AKA the one who spends the money to buy a product, want a dual-format player for my convenience.

I don't care what's good for BD or HD-DVD. I care about what's good for ME as a movie watcher.

Partisanship helps none of us. With a dual-format player, I will be free to purchase the best version of any movie made available in 1080p. (Though, in the case of some studios, "best" version may mean "only" version.)

Amen!

Affable Nitwit
post #99 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:11 AM

I don't see myself paying over $350 for an LG product (I'd buy a blu-ray stand alone and have a second unit in my rack before this). . . but if the reviews are good, who knows. I'd definitely rather see a Pioneer version.
post #100 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If LG can pull off putting out a quality multi format player for less than $1000 that includes DACs, new format audio decoders, firmware upgrade support and smooth operation then it would be quite an achievement. If it can do all these things I wouldnt even be as concerned about DVD upconversion as I could just hang onto my current DVD player. I dont see a player coming out in the next year that could replace my Denon player.
post #101 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 AM

So....

What happens when Sony gets all pissed off and starts making movies that have the LG player's AACS key revoked?

No reason that this couldn't happen.

Don't go format neutral. Your wallet will thank you.
post #102 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to take a guess at the price: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780531

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #103 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros73 View Post

Couldn't of said it better myself! Good thing I didn't go out and buy that Toshiba HD DVD player. Going to wait until after CES to see what happens.
post #104 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post

Get a clue. I along with others (including mods) in the other thread have expressed our dissapointment for one simple reason... it prolongs the life of TWO formats rather than one and therefore will prolong everything we hate about the format war. The consumer will not be a winner if the format war is prolonged and confusion lingers, which is exactly what dual format players will do in my opinion. Most people have a life and want things simple, so they'll just give up on the entire thing as HD DVR VOD becomes increasingly ubiquitous. I don't know many people that want to make a "choice" of which "type" of disc to buy when they go shopping for movies, and I doubt many retailers want to stock their shelves with a red case and a blue case for every release indefinetly. Now also the consumer has even more confusion as they have to choose between essentially 3 different types of players, and if they have one of these types they then have to choose what format to buy each movie on. J6P isn't AVS.

But like most zealots, you are only willing to consider the possibility/eventuality of *your* side winning. That's the problem. You consider it fait accompli that BR must win and can only be the winner. So of course you're not willing to embrace or consider universal players.

You're in the minority here; most are wanting to either:

1. consolidate players,

2. hedge their bets with respect to format choice, or

3. enjoy the best that both formats have to offer.

Universal players fit the bill for many people.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #105 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If this player has the picture quality that it needs to have, I'm buying.

I don't think LG can afford to sell a player above $899, $999, Unless they hit a homer, which they usually don't do. I have an LG dvd player in my bedroom, and it S***S.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #106 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 AM

I find this mildly amusing. We finally have what the majority of us have been calling for for quite some time: a dual format player; and yet all people can do is continue to argue over which format will win the war or even worse... how may playstations will be sold in 2010?
post #107 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post

I find this mildly amusing. We finally have what the majority of us have been calling for for quite some time: a dual format player; and yet all people can do is continue to argue over which format will win the war or even worse... how may playstations will be sold in 2010?

I agree 100%. This forum is full of smart hometheater loving people, who help other fellow members as it should be. but there's a bunch of inmature fanatics that at the end would turn people away from it.

One would think that the release of a combo player would be enough for people here to give their little war a rest, but yet all their frustrations end up being express here on this forum. May I respectfully suggest a girlfriend, a boyfriend, or even a big dog for you guys to play around with.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #108 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 AM

Unfortunately, I'll probably be waiting to purchase a dual-format player until somebody other than LG steps up. I can't stand LG products. No offense to anyone here. I GUARANTEE an LG combo unit will not be of the same caliber of...say...an HD-XA2 or even the Pioneer BD player...so...what's the point? - for those of us who demand the higher quality stuff.

This is very good news, but of no immediate help to me.
post #109 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

If this is true, it's awesome.

If it -is- true and the player is even -passable- in output quality, everyone should sell every player they own, buy this player, and then recommend all their friends do the same.

Can I turn your words around a bit?
Everyone should sell every player they own to their friends, and then buy this player.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #110 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Here's an analysis from a poster on HTF that makes sense to me:

Quote:

Actually, it will solve the problem completely.

After a short period of infighting, Almost all companies will convert over to using HD-DVD for smaller releases like catalog titles where a film and a couple trailers suffice, and using BR 50's for forever well-selling blockbusters, extremely long movies, and new releases with special edition features.

BR 25's will disappear as they'll be unnecessary, except for perhaps Fox and Disney who won't like the security on HD-DVD.

All three will coexist with consumers not paying any attention at all. Only for the short term will studios continue to support both format(Warners, Paramount), and only short term will the BR studios avoid HD-DVD. At some point, cost per gigabyte will make HD-DVD the defacto small disk standard and BR 50's will be the defacto big disk standard. At some point, it'll just make no sense to support BR 25's as the HD-DVD 30's are simply more cost effective when both can be used interchangably, even after price-parity is reached.

If LG releases a Uni the format war is over. Others will follow, and consumers won't have to worry about which is which.

post #111 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I want to start another senseless war, 'cause this dual format player will prolong fanboyism Come on, who's on fanboys' side, who's on the other side ? Any takers ?

What nonsense comes out of this never ceases to amaze me. How can a market that has been so divided and failed to spark any interest whatsoever among J6P not want universal players to take over ? If every manufacturer ends up with a universal player by the end of 2007 (just like they did with DVD recorders my friends...), who the hell cares if your side didn't win ? We, as consumers, all won.

I'm done arguing with fanboys, they, by definition, have too much time on their hands to ever see the light. Have fun while both formats last and the dust settles.

And to those who think that LG will be the only manufacturer to come up with a dual format player, I'm already shaking my head in disbelief over such moronic thinking.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #112 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

This is very good news, but of no immediate help to me.

I disagree that it is no help to you. I am another that will not be in line to purchase an LG product; however, now that one dual format player is being released, do you know how many companies are going to jump on this and come out with their own? By LG releasing this player as early as it has, it has now opened the doors for other manufacturers. Plus it gives the player a year to come down in price.
post #113 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm done arguing with fanboys, they, by definition, have too much time on their hands to ever see the light.

I agree that the fanboy fanatics who oppose this are looking really silly. "But...but...this might mean that MY side won't acheive Absolute and Total Victory! Wahhhhhh!!!"
post #114 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

This is big news, but at say $999, the unit sales impact isn't going to be huge. The psychological impact will be huge though, both for consumers, and for other CE companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd2005 View Post

2. LG will not be releasing a BD player.

Wasn't it an LG VP who quit over the LG BD100 Blu-ray player (which was announced officially but now apparently isn't going to be released)?

Or am I mixed up?
post #115 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I agree that the fanboy fanatics who oppose this are looking really silly. "But...but...this might mean that MY side won't acheive Absolute and Total Victory! Wahhhhhh!!!"

It amazes me that anyone can have such strong convictions about something as senseless as a media format.
post #116 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Here's an analysis from a poster on HTF that makes sense to me:

Doesn't make sense to me...especially considering BD hasn't been making good use of capacity with barebones releases.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #117 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't make sense to me...especially considering BD hasn't been making good use of capacity with barebones releases.

I think the argument would be that BR would be FORCED to put out high content DL releases, else there's no reason to buy BR.
post #118 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post

It amazes me that anyone can have such strong convictions about something as senseless as a media format.

Well, for me, it's not so much the format as it is seeing Sony fail AGAIN at trying to strong-arm the market with their proprietary formats. I don't like overpriced, inferior formats nor do I like being forced into using technology that can only be used by one company's products (UMD, Memory Stick Duo for example).

Sony needs to learn they can't force people into their standards all the time.

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #119 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzatwork View Post

news flash, hd dvd is no longer trumping blu ray. many stores report blu-ray outselling hd-dvd software, and even amazon is showing blu-ray about to overcome hd-dvd for what thedvdwars is worth.

second, picture the market in 2008-2010. PS3 will sell tens of millions worst case. tens of millions of Blu-ray disc only playing devices. There is no way studios would exclude all those ps3 users from being potential customers by pressing hd-dvd discs.

this is assuming blu-ray is even more expensive to press in the next few years.

could you please add a link so we can see the statistics from which you are basing your comments?
post #120 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM

ABOUT TIME!!! I already own a player for both formats but really want a universal that will do 5.1 analog outs. If the LG has a good player and the 5.1 analog outs I will definitely be buying one.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page