Dual Format Disc Player Announced - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
blu-ray=betamax.......ouch!!! Go LG....if it is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, LG certainly has been schizophrenic in this war the last year. At one point, I thought they had dedicated players for both formats (or were those just rumors), then they announced a dual player, retracted it, said they'd have just a BD player, now this...and did they retract on a dedicated BD player and a dedicated HD-DVD player as well with this last announcement?

It's like a bad soap opera.

I have the usual technical questions.

1080p?

1080p/24?

Is the signal interlaced and subsequently deinterlaced like the Samsung for 1080p? Or more direct like the Pioneer?

HDMI 1.3?

Hardware to handle PiP?

Will it be BD-Live compliant?

5.1 Audio analog outs for older receivers?

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #213 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 PM

I am so tired of the format war because ultimately it is holding us all back to a great degree. We have display devices that will deliver multiple standard or high definition sources 480i/p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Why can't we have a dvd format that does the same and play whatever we throw at it.

Make it adaptable, affordable and available and we will all quickly be satisfied with all sorts of our favorite existing and new releases. In the mean-time we all suffer because the corporate titans are battling over their respective format making the other one obsolete.

The fact is that both formats offer an excellent high definition experience and most people would be perfectly content with one or the other. I think that everyone on this forum would benefit from them both being able to peacefully co-exist. I only hope that a firmware update will enable my entry level $499 HD-A2 DVD Player to play Blu-rays instead of buying another machine.
post #214 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

Here is the full press release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LG ELECTRONICS TO LAUNCH FIRST DUAL-FORMAT HIGH-DEFINITION DISC PLAYER

SEOUL, KOREA, Jan. 4, 2007 - LG Electronics (LG), a leader in consumer electronics and mobile communications, announced that it will launch the world's first dual-format high-definition disc player, capable of playing both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD content. The unit will be released in the United States in early 2007. Details will be provided at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), held January 8-11 in Las Vegas.

LG expects this technological breakthrough to end the confusion and inconvenience of competing high-definition disc formats for both content producers and consumers.

www.hdguru.com

The HD Guru

Aww man,

I just updated my system to play HDDVD's with a full Core 2 Upgrade thanks to my purchase of the Xbox player. If it was not so cheap, I would not have purchased it. But I was also considering buying a Blue-Ray player now that they are down to around $499 from $999.

But with this news.... the release of this thing can't come fast enough, so I can finally see who has the best picture .

Now, to just get a graphics card with working HDMI and the Ben Q 24" Monitor with HDMI port .

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

www.youtube.com/WPLJTV for 95.5 contests and concerts

www.youtube.com/NTV1978 for Geek stuff :)
post #215 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Liked: 16
IO have been busy today programing a Harmony remote, so I just read the news flash about the dual format player and the dual format disc. I believe that the dual disc will have the greater impact as retailers would only have to stock one disc for both formats. To some degree both Sony and Toshiba blinked and stepped back from the brink to make this possible. However, I believe Sony was the big loser in that one year ago everyone thought Blu-ray would win in a walk. Sony invested a fortune into publicity and lost another fortune holding back the PS3. In the end all they could salvage was a draw against a far smaller rival with fewer resources and industry clout. If it weren't for the PS3 they wouldn't even have done that much. It all adds up to another sterling performance from a company that looks like the General Motors of the entertainment industry.

While Sony and Toshiba get a draw, the rest of us get a win. There will be no one format monopoly. The market should prosper will the shadow of the format war gone. The result will be cheaper players and more content for all of us. Yes, that sounds like a winner to me.
post #216 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you guys think I should wait to see how this dual-format player turns out, or should I go ahead and buy the HD-A2 now?

If this player does not have the same high-quality picture and video-upconversion as the Toshiba's, and if its $100 or more more expensive, then I will buy the A2 anyway.

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #217 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 PM

LG Dual player price is $1199 and will release until 1st quater 2007
But i will buy PS3 20G + HD-A2 model.
I don't like LG source machine
post #218 of 225 Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

This is great news! I was almost going to buy a HD player for X-mas and I decided to wait, because my AV dealer said there's a good chance of getting a universal player early this year. This is the first time I haven't been an early adaptor, I have been holding off, to see what happens. I'm all for a universal player and I'll buy the LG the second it comes out and then when someone comes out with a higher end universal player I'll upgrade.
post #219 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Moderators:

New Forum please - Dual Format HD Players/Software!

This will be HUGE. The existing HD and BD forums will quickly evaporate as the early adopters move to the next level in HD...the dual format player.

J6P and friends will finally have the utimate solution to this mess of two formats...the DUAL FORMAT LG PLAYER!!

Moderators this dual format issue will not go away...start the process now for a third forum.
post #220 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 View Post

That's true...but you're talking about something that hasn't happened yet and probably won't for some time (prices of standalones at $200). By that time, the PS3 most likely will have had a price cut and a number of units will have already been introduced into homes as either a movie player or gaming machine.

Once again, I said "$200-$300." Since you can now get the HD-A1 for well under $400, it won't be very long before you can get an HD-DVD player for less than $300. There may well be an under $300 player announced at CES next week.

Game consoles, on the other hand, don't seem to drop in price nearly as rapidly. The XBOX 360 costs the same as when it was released. The PS2 stayed at the same price for years. In addition, the PS3 doesn't seem to be turning out to be quite the phenomenon that was expected. Sony has shipped far fewer than they promised and they are still sitting unsold on store shelves. I just checked itracker. 20 out of 29 stores in my area have the PS3 in stock (as opposed to 0 of 29 for the Wii).

For someone wanting to watch HD movies it home, it will make a lot more sense to spend less than $300 on a player that acts just like their DVD player than to spend $600 on a PS3 and navigate an inconvenient (for playing movies) interface with a joystick.

Joe
post #221 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd2005 View Post

No. The 2nd Gen Samsung is $799 MSRP, that is not $599 or $600. So it's between $800 and $1500. Quit being ignorant about things. I'm so sick of all you fanbabies. All you do is spout FUD and twist truths. If the LG is priced at $799 and so is the Samsung, chances are the LG will street for around $600 to $700.

Quoting non-MSRP is just ignorant. You're ignoring the FACTS.

The NEC Dual Format production costs nearly the same as BD. Throw in that the player will be made in Korea... and you get lower production costs.

The player could go for $600 or so MSRP. I seriously doubt it will, but technically they could do that. $999 is a good bet.

I believe there are TWO other dual formats to be released in 2007, but I don't know who they are. NAD tells me they have a prototype, so perhaps they're one of them (Guess $1500 for that bad boy).

I'm not ignorant but isn't this a Samsung Blu Ray player at Amazon for $589?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P10...&s=electronics

On this board there are rumors that the MSRP of the LG will be $1199 I'm not sure what that would be in street price.

My point is that it is unlikely that LG would release a player that is less expensive than an average priced BD player.
post #222 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by theswami View Post

On this board there are rumors that the MSRP of the LG will be $1199 I'm not sure what that would be in street price.

My point is that it is unlikely that LG would release a player that is less expensive than an average priced BD player.

I wouldn't go by the Samsung $589 price as an "average" BD price (the Samsung is selling way below list since it is a total disaster). Other stand-alone BD players range from $1000 to $1500 list. If the LG is a decent player, nobody is going to buy a BD-only player anymore (except for those with $2000 SD DVD players), unless they drop their price dramatically, whereas the HD-DVD players, at a much lower price, will still sell.
post #223 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I wouldn't go by the Samsung $589 price as an "average" BD price (the Samsung is selling way below list since it is a total disaster). Other stand-alone BD players range from $1000 to $1500 list. If the LG is a decent player, nobody is going to buy a BD-only player anymore (except for those with $2000 SD DVD players), unless they drop their price dramatically, whereas the HD-DVD players, at a much lower price, will still sell.

I do not think the Samsung is an average price just as I do not think that $1000 will be the average price when/if the LG is released.

I just find it hard to think that LG WOULD release a dual format player at a price point below the price of the average BD player. It just doesn't make sense to do it since early adopters would pay MORE for a dual player than they would for a BD player alone. If they did do that, BD players would also have to lower prices to remain competitive.

There is no doubt that the dual format player could kill either of the two formats. I think it is unlikely to do that in the near term (1-2 years) because it will not get to a price point where it will overtake standalone HD DVD or Blu Ray sales and as a result, studios will still distribute content using two different formats.

Once more studios start going neutral or switching sides to one format or another then the future will become clearer. Neutral = both formats living for a while, Switching = one format dying.
post #224 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I do not think the Samsung is an average price just as I do not think that $1000 will be the average price when/if the LG is released.

I just find it hard to think that LG WOULD release a dual format player at a price point below the price of the average BD player. It just doesn't make sense to do it since early adopters would pay MORE for a dual player than they would for a BD player alone. If they did do that, BD players would also have to lower prices to remain competitive.

LG would make their decision based on product cost and market. At a higher price, they may not sell as many. Perhaps they want anyone who considers a Blu-Ray player to buy theirs. Strange thing about price competition, lower your price and this can, unfortunately, lead others to follow

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #225 of 225 Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Amazon is selling the G1 Samsung, which to my understanding has been dicontiued and replaced with a G2 samsung with a MSRP of $799.00.

John
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page