xa1--a crapshoot playing hd dvd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lately, it's become a question of when, not if, a hd dvd (Neflix rental) will freeze up.

The Lake House the other night and now Backdraft (twice) froze.

You know the drill. I had to pull the plug to reboot the player each time. Wait for the startup. Go into the Scene selection and get back to my chapter and then, slowly, play backward to just after the scene that froze.

And repeat.

The worst part is that my wife rarely has time to watch and did join me for The Lakehouse. She left, of course, but did return when I was able to qickly get back to where we left off.

This hasn't happened yet with standard dvd.

I'm reluctant to invite anyone over to watch hd-dvd now.

And, of course, sometimes it plays the hd-dvd with no problems.

Like I said, it's a crapshoot.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hopefully there will be a firmware update that fixes this problem. If they were able to solve the problems with the HD-A2 then Toshiba should offer us a fix for the A2 and XA2.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Robert,
You're much more optimistic about a firmware upgrade than I am.

I've read many posts here about the same problem with the A2, so I'm not so sure that it has been fixed/addresed with the G2 players.

It's just frustrating not knowing when or if it will freeze up and require the reboot.

But it remains the best upconverting dvd player I have ever had, as well as a great hd dvd player when it works though the entire movie.

And the xa1 remote is a major improvement over the remote that came with my a1, which I returned. This remote actually works.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #4 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had my share of audio and video problems with my XA2 (about one in six discs lately) but my HD-A2 has been flawless on every discs so far. One thing I have noticed with the XA1 is if I'm going to have a playback glich it's usually with a combo disc, weird.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM

With my A2, I've twice had problems where it froze BEFORE IT EVEN BOOTED UP AFTER PUSHING IN THE POWER BUTTON.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have the exact same experience as the op. Very frustrating. I wonder if a firmware update will help or if the loader is defective.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I had to pull the plug to reboot the player each time.

Shelly

Just hold down the power button for a few seconds. This does the same thing as pulling the AC cord from the wall.

-Byrd
post #8 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

Just hold down the power button for a few seconds. This does the same thing as pulling the AC cord from the wall.

-Byrd

The soft reboot by holding the power button did not work for me nor did sticking a paper clip in the hole that is supposed to open the drawer.

Actually it's easier for me to just pull the plug from the unit itself and then reinsert. Too much trouble for me to get to the surge protector in my rack.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Does this issue only crop on on rentals?

If your having alot of issues with it, call TOSH. and tell them, and get it fixed.
The sooner the better.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #10 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would be sending that puppy in for repair if this is a constant issue for you. My A1 has never froze with just a ton of use. I do purchase all my media though.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:

The soft reboot by holding the power button did not work for me nor did sticking a paper clip in the hole that is supposed to open the drawer.

Actually it's easier for me to just pull the plug from the unit itself and then reinsert. Too much trouble for me to get to the surge protector in my rack.

Shelly

My ole XA1 is nearing its first birthday (Feb. 2006 build date, purchased in early May). The only playback problems I've ever experienced is when the disc had problems. Constantine, a purchase, kept freezing a the same point. I finally inspected the disc (as a purchase, I assumed the disc would be OK). Well, there was some adhesive gunk (hopefully) on the disc. Cleaned it and it played perfectly. A few Netflix rentals needed cleaning to play perfectly. I Netflixed Lake House & it played perfectly.

Are you inspecting HD DVD discs carefully before playing? HD DVD discs have much more data more closely encoded than standard DVD; the discs need to be prefectly clean. Does your player have the latest 2.0 firmware?

HD DVD on the XA1 is anything but a crapshoot for me.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm done waiting for a firmware update. I was watching Fearless with my father and brother 2 nights ago when the player decided to start playing at a faster speed. Lets admit it people, the bugs in this palyer make it a POS. I'd love for it to be fixed with a firmware update but I am done waiting. My A1 will be exchanged using my Best Buy replacement plan and hopefully they will replace it with a A2.
Personally, I like the PQ better on HD DVD than Blu Ray (I own both) but the player bugs on the A1 are far worse than the Sammy Blu Ray player.
-Evangelo2
post #13 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 AM

I've never had a freeze yet on my a1, but i find skips are very prone to scratched discs (HD). In terms of dirt/fingerprints, they can be cleaned, but if i see scratches on the disc before i put it in, i only hope for the best. I can imagine netflix discs being scratched to hell.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Lately, it's become a question of when, not if, a hd dvd (Neflix rental) will freeze up.

I routinely play netflix HD-DVDs in my XA1 and have only had issues with "dirty" disks. Even if it looks clean its probably dirty, new disks can be dirty. Since I started to routinely wash the disks with dish soap and water or lense cleaner prior to play I have had no problem even with a minor scratch. NetFlix's Lake house played nicely for me. If your player has difficulty playing cleaned disks, then its defective.

One theory is that the XA1 processor is barely powerful enough and when additional error correction processing is required it quickly get overwhelmed, and play skips or munged, if bad enough the player crashes and locks up. Some have reduced processor load a bit by setting the audio to bit stream, and initializing maintenance, but I don't recall where I read those suggestions, perhaps the XA1 user thread.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

the only times my XA1 has frozen was because I was mashing buttons trying to eject a disc, open the tray before it was booted up, or screwing around on the remote trying to do something. I don't get any lockups watching movies without touching something. (netflix included)
post #16 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM

I have XA1 and experience the same frequent drop out or freeze up problems. The player has the updated firmware. It is very frustrating to have it freeze than re-boot and find place in movie. I do not use rental HD DVDs and I don't think cleaning is an issue. It is difficult to get to see entire movie wothout either of these glitches. Drop-outs are followed by lip sync problem which also means re-start to correct.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I just rented MI:3 last week and I have had few freezes before. It froze once the first time. The second time I played the HD DVD, it froze multiple times. This is not good. Prior to this, I always purchased my HD DVDs and had almost no issues.

Rich
post #18 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have played 5-6 Netflix HD rentals previously without any freezes or skips. In fact, my A1 used to skip regularly but not my XA1.

The feezing occurred on the last two HD discs as I posted. Yes, I cleaned each disc before playing.

The only difference, other than the discs themselves, is that I started to use the XA1 as my cd player, using the analog outs for the 2 channel playback. Quite a revealing listening experience. But I can't imagine how this might affect hd-dvd playback.

I plan to watch a Netflix sd rental later and then my ownpurchase of Serenity HD, and will see what happens.

I don't believe that the player is defective and needs exchange. It's probably disc related. But if it keeps happening, especially with newly purchased disvs, then I have a real problem.

Sd dvds have not been a problem as yet.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #19 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM

i usually don't propose things which i can't back up with facts. But i would like to say that I BELIEVE it is BEST to use the machine for the sole purpose of HDDVD. I just don't think it is a good idea to use different types of discs in that first generation drive. If anything, I would put the blame on the drive itself and not the entire machine. If I had to rank:

1) disc problem (scratch/dirt/defect)
2) drive
3) sub-par error correction
4) entire system
post #20 of 20 Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today was a rainy day swo I couldn't work (outside).

So it was a two movie day.

First, a sd-dvd that played through without a hiccup, as I expected.

Then came a newly purchased HD-dvd, Serenity, which also played through without any prolems.

I checked back on my Netflix rentals and I had rented 10 HD discs to date. One, Bourne Supremacy, would not even load but that may have been with my previous A1.

The next 7 all played without problems. Just the last two rentals, The Lakehouse and Backdraft were the ones that froze.

So it appears that the rental discs are the probable cause for now, despite being washed clean before playback.

Beter the disc than the player. But each disc I rent will cause me to wonder if it will play through. I think that when guests come over for a movie, it will be one that I purchased.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page